PDA

View Full Version : Volleys

Vass22
Dec 30th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Russians have no serving, and no volleying, it's surpising how they got this far without all those weapons they're missing. We know that only Petrova (maybe Bovina) has the serve, but who among these Russian girls and women has the best volley?

KV
Dec 30th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Volleys Kournikova. Though Alyona, Lina, Nadya, Vera Z, Nastya, etc all have at least decent volleys. Other good servers are Masha. Vera D, Lina, Dinara, Elena L,Sveta, Nastya etc. even Anna T. (when she's on) Don't know about Zhenya L,and Alisa K. Because you have so many Russian players, might have left a few out.

Vass22
Dec 30th, 2003, 07:14 PM
This is just sad! Anna K did not playfor so long that people start to forget her in their discussions. This is particularly disappointing because she could have been (I hope she still can be) the best of the Russians.

goldenlox
Jan 2nd, 2004, 01:24 AM
Anna K. won two AO's in doubles. Elena L. won Wimbledon in mixed.
Lina reached the US Open final in mixed.
Elena D., and Sveta, each reached a US Open final in doubles.
But I think Elena B. and Anna K. are the two best volleyers. I need to see more of Maria K.

AnDyDog621
Jan 2nd, 2004, 03:13 AM
This is just sad! Anna K did not playfor so long that people start to forget her in their discussions. This is particularly disappointing because she could have been (I hope she still can be) the best of the Russians.

You start a thread about no russian having a good volley and now u might be implying anna has a good one, am i missing something

Anna is the best russian volleyer

tenn_ace
Jan 2nd, 2004, 01:27 PM
Anna K. won two AO's in doubles. Elena L. won Wimbledon in mixed.
Lina reached the US Open final in mixed.
Elena D., and Sveta, each reached a US Open final in doubles.
But I think Elena B. and Anna K. are the two best volleyers. I need to see more of Maria K.

from what I've seen over the past 2 years, Maria is a complete baseliner. I really don't remember her venturing to the net.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 2nd, 2004, 01:50 PM
you got to remember volleying in singles is alot harder, movement is different as well.

ALPHA
Jan 2nd, 2004, 01:56 PM
Kournikova is the only Russian natural volleyer I know (from active players). Elena Likhovtseva comes in 2nd place.
Sure Petrova & Bovina can volley, if forced to. But not the same leage as Kournikova & Likhovtseva, when it comes to volley.

goldenlox
Jan 2nd, 2004, 02:19 PM
I saw most of Bovina-Capriati in New Haven, and Lena won 16 straight points at the net in the match.
I agree that doubles are different. In singles, the quality of the approach is vital.