PDA

View Full Version : Wildcards for Aussie Summer

broncosven
Dec 29th, 2003, 09:01 PM
This is just a thread for all the Wildcards . . bit of confusion with who is getting what so lets hope this helps

GOLD COAST!!
Maindraw:

Samantha Stosur
Casey Dellacqua

Qualifying:

Tiffany Welford
Christina Horiontopolis
Nicole Kriz
Sophie Ferguson

Hobart ???
Main draw
id say Wheller and Stewart
Qualy
Whoever is left over ???

Canberra!!
Main Draw Dominikovic & Adamczak
Qualies Ferguson Cheung D Dominikovic And Tanevska

Sydney!!
1.) Alicia Molik
2.) Nicole Pratt
3.) ????????? or Gold/Silver Exempt

Qualifying Draw

1.) Dubravka Cupac
2.) Trudi Musgrave
3.) ?? Jaslyn Hewiit??
4.) ?? Breadmore or Stewart or Watson??

AUS OPEN !!
MD so far
Stosur
Musgrave
Golovin
Chuang Chia Jung

5 more . . . .

All the MD WC choices for the lead up events are good choices . . . although the qualy WC arent that appropriate . . alot of people are ranked higher then the recipeients and despite there age should be giving the chance to prolong there careers . . .?? Oh well good luck to the youngesters lets hope they dont waste em

Wonder if any of the people out there can help fill in the gaps . . . . ????

AUSBOY
Dec 29th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Week 1

HOPMAN CUP - Molik

GOLD COAST - Maindraw:
1.)Samantha Stosur
2.)Casey Dellacqua
3.)Gold/Silver Exempt

Qualifying:
Tiffany Welford
Christina Horiatopolous
Nicole Kriz
Sophie Ferguson

Also playing in singles and/or doubles Nicole Pratt, Evie Dominikovic, Trudi Musgrave, Lisa McShea, possibly Christina Wheeler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Week 2

HOBART - Main draw
1.)Christina Wheeler
2.)Samantha Stosur
3.)Gold/Silver Exempt

Qualifying:
Lauren Breadmore
Olivia Lukaszewicz
Lara Giltinan
Adriana Szili
Casey Dellacqua (Feed in for winning $25K)

**Amanda Grahame will most likely use her injury rank of 217 to get qualifying entry to Canberra or Hobart!

CANBERRA - Main Draw:
1.)Evie Dominikovic
2.)Monique Adamczak
3.)Gold/Silver Exempt

Qualifying:
Sophie Ferguson
Lauren Cheung
Daniela Dominikovic
Natalie Tanevska
Trudi Musgrave (Feed in for winning Port Pirie $25K)

SYDNEY - Main Draw:
1.) Alicia Molik
2.) Nicole Pratt
3.) Gold/Silver Exempt

Qualifying:
Dubravka Cupac
Christina Horiatopolous
Jaslyn Hewitt
Bryanne Stewart

Sarah Stone/Nicole Sewell/Lisa McShea will try to play doubles in Canberra or Hobart
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Week 3

AUSTRALIAN OPEN - Main Draw:

1.)Stosur
2.)Musgrave
3.)Chuang
4.)Golovin
5.)
6.)
7.)
8.)

Most likely recipients - E.Dominikovic, Wheeler, Dellacqua. Final one is a toss up between Adamczak, Ferguson or even Breadmore

Qualifying:

Breadmore
Ferguson/Adamczak
Hewitt
Kriz
Stewart
Lukaszewicz
Horiatopolous

Other contenders - Watson, Cupac, Giltinan, Cheung, Welford, D.Dominikovic, Dittmann, Baker, & Szili,

Grahame should get in with injury rank of 217, she is currently 9 spots out.

TS
Dec 30th, 2003, 01:46 AM
I'm really surprised Amanda Grahame isn't playing Canberra? Unless she gets in with her injury rank for qualies (if it's high enough)...or will she not be playing the summer circuit at all?

So Stosur is getting 3 WC's for the summer...that means she would already be out of the running for the French Open WC, as you're only allowed 3 main draw WC's per season.

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 30th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Well let's hope Stosur won't need a WC for the French ;)

~|Naomi|~
Dec 30th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Has Jaslyn definately got a qualifying WC for AO, or is that just a prediction?

ozfan44
Dec 30th, 2003, 09:23 AM
just a prediction

broncosven
Dec 30th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Aussie open

Casey
Evie (she does not desrve one!!!!)

mens
Wayne Arthurs and Chris Guccione

broncosven
Dec 30th, 2003, 09:18 PM
Overall i think that TA and tournament directors have made good choices for the MD WC's . . most are aussies where usually they give a couple to overseas players

Hopefully Sam, Monique, Christina, Casey, Alicia, Nicole, Evie can make some use of them . . last year besides Alicia our girls did nothing . . . .

As for the qualy WC's . . . not that smart alot of glaring omissions like watson, dittman, musgrave (but i think she will get one), mcshea, mcquillian . . i know most of there players are older but if they are above the rankings then they shoiuld e given a chance to prolong there careers

never the less lets hope the juniors can get off to a promising starts with there seniors careers and cause an upset or too !!

TS
Jan 2nd, 2004, 08:39 AM
I've just noticed Gabrielle Baker has been overlooked for all WC's so far :confused:

Poor thing has a lot of points coming off this week...last year she beat Iveta Benesova in GC qualies!

So looks like Watson, Dittmann, Baker, Van Elden and Sekulovski (injured I think), have missed out this summer...

I imagine Stewart and Hewitt will get into Sydney.

I think it's just a case of too many players, and someone's gotta miss out...

azza
Jan 2nd, 2004, 09:58 AM
Mens

Draper,Arthurs,Baccanello,Larkham and Luczak and reidy boy PLEASE

AUSBOY
Jan 3rd, 2004, 01:13 AM
I've just noticed Gabrielle Baker has been overlooked for all WC's so far :confused:

Poor thing has a lot of points coming off this week...last year she beat Iveta Benesova in GC qualies!

So looks like Watson, Dittmann, Baker, Van Elden and Sekulovski (injured I think), have missed out this summer...

I imagine Stewart and Hewitt will get into Sydney.

I think it's just a case of too many players, and someone's gotta miss out...

You would think that Tennis Australia could at least compensate those players missing out by giving them Doubles Wildcards!!! I mean players like Grahame, Dittmann etc have won several WTA main draw doubles matches before.

ozfan44
Jan 5th, 2004, 01:38 PM
well u know what ta is like

TS
Jan 11th, 2004, 05:56 AM
So who will get the final 2 MD WC's??

Realistically, there are 4 chances I feel.

The two highest ranked players left: Christina Wheeler and Monique Adamczak, but both have lost their first round matches in straight sets so that could hurt them.

The two best under 18 players left: Sophie Ferguson and Dubravka Cupac. Dubravka impressed with a win over Drake in Sydney and is still only 17, whilst Sophie has had two bad losses in qualifying events. Honestly, their both better off in qualies, but wouldn't surprise me to see one, or even both, representing the Aussie juniors in the MD.

Here's how I'd do it
Wheeler and Adamczak in the main draw. Both will lose, but they deserve it more than the others.

Qualifying
Lauren Breadmore - highest ranked non-entrant
Bryanne Stewart - poor form, but an impressive past record here
Nicole Kriz - impressive form in challengers
Jaslyn Hewitt - improved her game and ranking
Sophie Ferguson - highest ranked U/18 player
Dubravka Cupac - second highest ranked U/18 player, good play in Sydney

The final one a toss up between Cindy Watson (past record), Christina Horiatopoulos (poor form but deserves a shot, finally!), Olivia Lukaszewicz (still so young), Adriana Szili (TA have invested so much money in her, why not?) and Daniela Dominikovic (an enigma, but still impressive). If Amanda Grahame doesn't get in with her IR, I'd put her in here too...make them play off for it. lol

AUSBOY
Jan 11th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Wheelers performance of late has been terrible. I'm not in favour of giving her a main draw anymore, just like Evie they should have been made to play qualifying but she will probably get a MD wildcard! Adamczak also performed badly in Canberra. I'm starting to think qualifying for her too!

On form Lauren Breadmore is perhaps a stronger contender now for a main draw wildcard. It will be interesting to see how Cindy goes against Rubin who is very shaky atm.

Cupac has definitely earnt a qualifying wildcard now as has Hewitt and Szili with their performances. Kriz should also get a qualifying due to her Aust Unity results.

In a nutshell

Main Draw

Lauren Breadmore
Cindy Watson (she deserves it for last years snub,no chance though unless she beats Rubin LOL)

Qualifying

Kriz
Hewitt
Cupac
Adamczak
Dittmann
Szili
Ferguson
Tanevska
Grahame should get in with Injury rank.

I think that basically all the juniors have shown that they dont deserve wildcards!!

TS
Jan 11th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Breadmore?!?! :eek:

Definitely qualifying, but I dont see how winning a set in Hobart against a player ranked 200, should get her a MD one...and Cindy has no business in the main draw either...but we'll wait and see how she does against Chanda.

Quite frankly, no-one really deserves it to be honest...lol

AUSBOY
Jan 11th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Breadmore with Dellacqua and Stosur is featured in the Aust Open program so I think Lauren is a strong contender!

I agree there really isnt any deserving Aussies for main draw, it will take a kind draw for whoever get its to get through a round

azza
Jan 11th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Ugh i think Lauren is overrated but its coming from me so yeah just i think that because of her resuts sorry :angel:

AUSBOY
Jan 11th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Lauren is an intelligent, hard working, gifted athlete. I think she is as worthy a main draw recipient as Adamczak and Wheeler. She did perform very well last year at the Open with her family and friends supporting her again she could have the same success.

Did you know Azza that Lauren is a 3 time winner of the Victorian Cross Country Championships?

She's represented Victoria in tennis, cross country and athletics. She was also Dux of her school which is one of the most prestigious schools in Melbourne, she achieved near perfect academic results.

SM
Jan 11th, 2004, 10:30 AM
The final one a toss up between Cindy Watson (past record), Christina Horiatopoulos (poor form but deserves a shot, finally!), Olivia Lukaszewicz (still so young), Adriana Szili (TA have invested so much money in her, why not?) and Daniela Dominikovic (an enigma, but still impressive)Cindy deserves it as she made great use of her WC two summers ago...but as for the others i think Szili has had too much help, Olivia is yet to have prooved anything above junior itf Grade 5 level, Daniella hasnt played enough to get in to form.

I think Christina should be given a shot. The others mentioned above have had more chances than christina and chrissy has been hampered by injuries?? She has a 25k semi-final, is young and needs the experience.

I saw her in Sydney vs Jankovic and she did impress me even tho the scoreline doesnt show it 2-6 1-6...
that first set was anyones and she really gave it to jankovic with some great backhands(both topspin and slice) and volleys.
christina just net rushed WAY too much as tho it was grass LOL but i think that if she stayed back she wouldve had more success and atleast had a close match with jankovic..to be fair she looked very nervous cos she hasnt had this type of exposure and it was very evident when she flunked a fh volley in to the back fence!

SM
Jan 11th, 2004, 10:34 AM
while she gets great power on her backhands, her fh is an area christina needs to work on! she has a grasscourt game but a claycourt fh...its very loopy and she cant seem to flatten it out much even on shorter balls to finish the points off. .

but still she has a big arsenal of shots and i think if she learns when to use what shot and when to come in, she should be able to crack the top 200

SM
Jan 11th, 2004, 10:35 AM
i just put all that info for TS ;)

broncosven
Jan 11th, 2004, 06:52 PM
The 2 MD should go to

Wheller and Adamzack

then qualy to
Stewart
Hewitt
Breadmore
Horipolous
Cupac
Watson
Kriz
Dittman
Ferguson

louloubelle
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Tennis Aus site - apparently the wildcards have been decided....

1.)Stosur
2.)Musgrave
3.)Chuang
4.)Golovin
5.)Dellacqua
6.)Dominikovic
7.)Ferguson
8.)Lukasewicz

Awaiting uproar regarding positions 7 and 8 :) :D

Evie's lucky, maybe that lonely set she got against Sanchez Lorenzo pulled her thru - but it's more like the best of the worst.

As like Stewart, Grahame, Watson last year.... Adamczak & Wheeler had their chances with their w/c's in Hobart and Canberra and weren't impressive - therefore didn't press their claims enough.

anthonyqld
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:48 AM
As like Stewart, Grahame, Watson last year.... Adamczak & Wheeler had their chances with their w/c's in Hobart and Canberra and weren't impressive - therefore didn't press their claims enough.

Ferguson wasn't impressive with her W/C at GC Qualifying either.

~|Naomi|~
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Are they main draw wild cards:eek:

Ferguson, Cheung, Lucasewicz:eek: And OMG no Szilli:p

Rising Sun
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Are they main draw wild cards:eek:

Ferguson, Cheung, Lucasewicz:eek: And OMG no Szilli:p
Chia-Jung Chuang, not Lauren Cheung. ;)

Ferguson & Lukasewicz getting MD WCs... :rolleyes:

~|Naomi|~
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Chia-Jung Chuang, not Lauren Cheung. ;)
Oh oops:p
But still Ferguson and Lukasewicz. They can't win a round of quallifying in a WTA event how do you expect them to go at AO. Okay they could draw each other and then one would win:p

Sure Wheeler hasn't been playing great but she deserves it more.

louloubelle
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Ferguson wasn't impressive with her W/C at GC Qualifying either.
No she probably wasn't impressive. If a 17 year old gets wiped then it's put down to experience. When 20-22 year old gets wiped, guaranteed it's not looked upon favorably - and say bye bye to the w/c.

louloubelle
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:56 AM
What is strange is not that TA has continued with the junior policy however overlooked a junior that actually scored a win!!!! Dubravka Cupac beat the tough Maureen Drake in Sydney, whereas Lukasewicz's results were actually more impressive in late 2002 not 2003!

petey_pan
Jan 13th, 2004, 05:50 AM
I Can't believe Christina didn't get a main draw WC! She's our fifth highest ranked woman and scored some good wins last year. She beat Amy Fraizer 6-1 6-1 in a challenger and reached back to back 25k finals in the U.S. She's been injured and is only just on the comeback trail. Her match in Hobart against Brandi was her first of the year, Brandi had reached the quarters in Auckland just last week, (not to mention that she is a really consistent player who barely makes an unforced error) I think she would have a way bigger chance of winning a round than Ferguson or Olivia who couldn't even win a qualifying round in the WTA events they played in. Hopefully Christina qualifies and reaches the third round or something to rub it into Tennis Australia.

anthonyqld
Jan 13th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Hopefully Christina qualifies and reaches the third round or something to rub it into Tennis Australia.

If the unthinkable happens and Stosur is forced out, hopefully her wildcard will then go to Wheeler, not another junior.

TS
Jan 13th, 2004, 06:43 AM
What is strange is not that TA has continued with the junior policy however overlooked a junior that actually scored a win!!!! Dubravka Cupac beat the tough Maureen Drake in Sydney, whereas Lukasewicz's results were actually more impressive in late 2002 not 2003!

Exactly!!! Dubravka Cupac is way more deserving than Olivia, and dare I say Sophie....:rolleyes:

OK, I pretty much knew Sophie was a shoe in for a WC...she is TA's latest wet dream by the looks of things...but how Olivia got in is beyond comprehension. She is a very talented young girl, but SO not ready for this. There sending her out to get slaughtered....ditto Sophie, both of them are in for a rude awakening. These two seem to have a pretty good mindset for tennis though, and seem mentally tough so hopefully they don't get too demoralised out there, and take a positive or three out of it. Notice how I'm already writing as though they've been thrashed? Hopefully they get kind draws and can give a fight at least.

I had a feeling Christina Wheeler would be overlooked...and she has every right to be pissed off considering who got chosen over her...given a good draw she could win a round in the MD. But she didn't do enough with her WC in Hobart...ditto Monique Adamczak in Canberra. Considering Chris is direct in qualifying, I had a feeling they'd overlook her to free up a spot for someone else. Monique on the other hand is also better off in qualies, but it's a bit of a slap in the face when you improve your world ranking by 800 spots in a year, and to be ignored by two kids that have done nothing, even in junior competition. Hopefully Monique is not overlooked for a qualifying WC, stranger things have happened with TA :rolleyes:

Sophie and Olivia getting a WC is an absolute joke...but of course I will be there supporting them and hope they lap up the experience!!! :)

broncosven
Jan 13th, 2004, 07:09 AM
I THINK IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!! :fiery: :o

y was chrsitina overlooked its BULLCHIT!!! . . . :rolleyes: :confused:

dont know what TA do for a living . . drawn names out of a hat or someting, i can think of about 10 people more deserving of a main draw WC

lets pray to god they dont forget about some others during qualy WC . . i think monique should get one

TS
Jan 13th, 2004, 07:25 AM
I expect some shockers in qualifying too.

Wouldn't surprise me if Breadmore, Hewitt, Stewart and even Adamczak are overlooked for the likes of Welford, Szili, Dominikovic, Tanevska et al...

Should be interesting...lol.

SM
Jan 13th, 2004, 08:39 AM
well i agree dubz deserves a main draw wc more than them two girls, but atleast dubz has a chance to win her match and get some vital rank points! :;)

~|Naomi|~
Jan 13th, 2004, 09:27 AM
The thing that most annoys me is that none of the juniors are getting out there and playing on the ITF junior circuit. How the heck do they expect to ever do well. They have to get out there and play the best juniors in the world and the junior slams and get a good grounding and experience before they jump straight into a grand slam. That is unless you are a Williams sisters but these girls aren't. There is not one single Australian in the top 50 junior rankings, now wouldn't you say that is cause for concern? But then with janet Young in charge who would know, she didn't even know who Horiatopoulous was playing in her match on the Gold Coast:o

~|Naomi|~
Jan 13th, 2004, 09:42 AM
You are all 100% correct how they justify giving a WC to either of them over Cupac who is the only Aussie to win a match in quallifying is ridiculous.

Ferguson has a junior rank of 87 (don't know if that is current or her highest though) and Lukasewicz is 98 so neither are blazing up the junior circuit or playing well in challengers.