PDA

View Full Version : CHILE DID IT AGAIN ( FOR BAD)

LucasArg
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:42 PM
THIS IS REALLY TERRIBLE.

TODAY at Vina del Mar tournament ( ATP) , Mariano Zabaleta def. Marcelo Rios 6-4 7-6, and at the end the crowd started throwing things at the court. Then Sabaleta has to be resguarded by security ( in the court!!!!):o

BUT THIS THING HAPPENED ON APRIL 2000, WHEN ARGENTINA WAS PLAYING DAVIS CUP WITH CHILE.

WHAT'S GOING ON PEOPLE????

DO YOU THINK ATP SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT???

I ask this, because on 2000 Argentina group had to retired from Davis Cup because of this, and ATP did nothing about it:confused:

veryborednow
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:45 PM
They were aiming at Rios for his comments about womens tennis :fiery:

Monica_Rules
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:04 AM
LOL@ veryborednow

Its stupid they just can't except loosing grow up people the tornie should be cancelled if it happenes again!

LucasArg
Feb 14th, 2002, 02:25 AM
I ve been reading new articles about this incident, and the ATP says in the past they had not do anything about it when it had happened,and that Vina del Mar has a great performance as a tourny since it has been started, so :rolleyes:

THEY WILL DO NOTHING:o

I hope this won't happen again for the health of sports:angel:

disposablehero
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:18 AM
Anywhere but Chile, they would have thrown things at Zabaleta if he had lost to Rios.

Fingon
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:23 AM
Well, I am a little extreme maybe but what the chilean crowds obviously are not civilised and the chileans have showed bad sportmanship in the past. The Chilean soccer team was one excluded of the world cup because of that.

Said that, I would never again hold a tournament in Chile, simple, and I would ban Chile to participate in either Davis Cup or Fed Cup for at least 5 years, if they don't learn with that, well, never again.

Maybe a little drastic but I bet you it would be effective ;)

disposablehero
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:48 AM
The Hamburg tournament has rolled along uninterrupted for years.

Fingon
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:51 AM
Very good point DH

LucasArg
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Well, I think is this times we're living both WTA and ATP should bring the players 100% security to play.

And this is not happening:rolleyes:

gmt
Feb 14th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Anyway, LucasArg and Fingon, I am curious - is there a problem between Chile and Argentina (apart from the usual neighbourhood rivalry), or is it just a case of extreme nationalism in sports? Those Chilean stories always surprise me. Even though I am well aware of that country's difficult history, the few Chileans I know seem to be rather quiet people, almost closer to Northern Europeans than to Latins actually, and so they tend to view themselves.

But this should probably go to Non-Tennis...

What Fingon suggests resembles the retaliation policy against English football (soccer) hooligans - as if they had anything to do with football, but that's another story - and could be effective. The problem is that there aren't too many main tour tournaments in Latin America right now, quite the contrary. I don't suppose that Fingon will contradict me on this ;) What might be done is to create a new one in another country, or give subsidies to a challenger tournament so that it can enter the main tour. If Vina del Mar returns after a while, then there shall be one more main tour event in Latin America, all for the better.

The Crow
Feb 14th, 2002, 09:28 AM
DH, I don't see the resemblance at all with the Hamburg tourney. In hamburg, there was just 1 bad guy (with big consequences though)

Aloysius
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Same point as The Crow about the Hamburg tournament. How is it the same? Just because it involved Monica, right? :rolleyes: Indian Wells would've been a better example.

disposablehero
Feb 14th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Indian Wells wopuld have been a crappy example. Throwing things on the field is violence, albeit far short of the Hamburg level. Indian Wells did not have violence, unless you consider booing to be violence. Then we can talk about the violence dropped on Monica at Ericsson the previous year.

LucasArg
Feb 14th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Chile and Argentina are not friends at all, but this is not a reason for violence. When a tournament is being played in ARgentina, there's no any kind of violence, none....

And this is funny.... Next week in Buenos Aires, Argentina, starts the AT&T Tournament, with Kuerten as top seed, and Marcelo Rios is coming to play to Argentina. I bet he will be booed, but there wont be any violence, for sure.

I would love a first round between Kuerten and Rios!!!!!

CRY RIOS CRY:bounce:

LucasArg
Feb 15th, 2002, 04:28 AM
at least today, the crowd was ok:wavey:

stevek
Feb 15th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Lucas Arg, i am interested to know why the chileans and argentinians aren't friends. Because it seems to me like the two countries are decended from the same ethnic groups.

LucasArg
Feb 15th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Chileans and argentinians are very very very diferent pleople. Argentina is made most of italians and spaniards, but this is not the most important difference, we are difference by history, militaries divided Chile in two big groups , and we the argentinian who doesn't like militaries, can't understand why so many chileans defend today general Pinochet.
They think that what Pinochet did so many years, killing writters and politicians, was necesary to build a good country. ....THIS IS TOO LONG

But we don't like each other, it's simply as that, we think Chile is a province of Argentina:kiss::p

The Crow
Feb 15th, 2002, 05:05 PM
So Lucas Arg, how exactly do you explain Nalbandian's behaviour? :p

LucasArg
Feb 15th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Well, I didn't watch it, I read David Nalbandian was disquilified from the tourny for verbal abuse. I think it is a pitty.;. I don't like verbal abuse, but This is not the point I've seen Jhon Mc Enroe, Andy Roddick, Jennifer Capriati, shouting as Nalbandian could do, and not all were disqualified.

Anyway, I think the players don't need to do this shows on court. What Nalbandian did was not good for him, but he did not hit anyone with bottles and piece of woods;)

Justinator
Feb 16th, 2002, 12:49 AM
The tournament organizers are responsable if anything happens with the players and if the crowd acts violently. When things like that happen, they obviously fail doing their job. And yes something has to happen. They should lose the tournament that's the least.

Fingon
Feb 16th, 2002, 02:13 AM
GMT, well, from my personal experience, argentinian and chileans truly hate each other, they were very close to a war some years ago.

Chileans are pretty annoying in sports, they like to think they are the best in everyting and they are not. I remember one of the America Cups played in Chile? the commentators were going on about how great the chilean team was and their chances against Argentina until they had their butt so sorely kicked they shut up for the rest of the tournament.

Also, they have a long history of bad sportmanship, not only in tennis, as I said, the chilean soccer team was suspended from the world cup a few years ago.

About tournaments being held in South America, well, there aren't many tournament in Africa either, if the chileans are not civilised enough to hold one and there isn't another suitable place, too bad.