PDA

View Full Version : Anna K is Delusional!

auntie janie
Feb 13th, 2002, 09:33 PM
It is good to be positive, but how can Anna say her match with Venus today shows she can "hold her own" against the #2 player in the world? :confused:

If that is so, Anna, what exactly happened in that second set? Has she already forgotten she lost EVERY GAME in that set? Is an 0-6 set really "holding her own"?

Anna, Anna, Anna. As long as you can convince yourself you are on the level of the top players, how will you ever improve? When, in your own mind, you are there already, and all is well? :rolleyes:

Martian KC
Feb 13th, 2002, 09:35 PM
She's given Jen and Serena a hard time this year already so she's not farfetched.;)

Bright Red
Feb 13th, 2002, 09:49 PM
LOL @ janie.

You're asking for it from a certain poster.

auntie janie
Feb 13th, 2002, 09:50 PM
(I'm already ducking!) :eek:

endiadjendiadj
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:09 PM
maybe Anna's referring to the 8 BREAK POINTS she had in the 1st set!:fiery:

If she had converted a few of those break points she would've won the 1st set and maybe the match would've turned out differently.:fiery: :fiery:

Anna always seems to get close but she can't get over the hump!AAGGHH!:sad: :sad:

saki
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Janie - surely it's obvious what Anna meant. The first set was 7-5 and Anna had many chances. Therefore it shows that she can play at the same level as Venus. The second set shows that she doesn't play at that level consistently.

I like you, Janie, but I really don't understand why you're so very critical of Anna.

auntie janie
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Numerous players can play ONE good set. That does not put them on the level with the top players, who take advantage of their break points, and who continue to play well in set 2.

But, I appreciate that you like me, saki! :)

I like everybody on this board. We are all tennis nuts together! :kiss:

Bright Red
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:30 PM
I initially felt that Anna's comments were reasonable, until I learned a bit more about the match.

This was Anna's second match in Antwerp, and Venus's first. Venus was not accustomed to the surface and she needed to calibrate her game. That largely explains why Venus wasn't able to finish Anna off quicker.

Anna in no way held her own against Venus. Had she even gotten two games in the second set, I would agree with her. No one holds her own and gives away a bagel. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

irma
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Anna should stop saying that she improves so much wich each match and tournament, it`s time that it starts to pay off by now:)

Bright Red
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:37 PM
I must give Anna credit for a different match, though.

Anna definitely held her own when she beat the bedoodles out of Jennifer Capriati during the exhibition match last year.

saki
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Of course one good set doesn't automatically mean that you're on the same level as a top player, but it does mean something & Anna's not wrong to take some positive from this.

I haven't seen the whole interview, but my guess is that that is she goes on to say that she didn't take her chances and let herself be forced onto the defensive in the 2nd set.

There's plenty of room for improvement in Anna's game & strategy but she knows that.

apoet29
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:52 PM
I'm as critical of Anna K as anyone else, but I have to disagree with you Janie (it's a first for me;). I don't think she is being delusional at all based on two factors.

First, I read Venus' interview and she really complimented Anna by saying that Anna played really well in that first set. Given the fact that Anna had break chances to take the set indicates that she was giving her best effort against Venus. Venus, being Venus, pulled out a tough set. I think Anna's double fault on set point really hurt her mentally and that may be why she fell apart in the second set.

Second, I really don't think Anna should put herself down or say she sucked in the match. The first set was very close and at this point in time, Anna needs to take away all the positives she can get. Remember this is a player who missed most of last year with a severe foot injury and as a result, her ranking took a big hit. So, it is going to be a massive struggle for Anna to comeback since she has to play every top player in the first and second round of the big tournaments. So, I don't see anything wrong with her trying to be as positive as possible. I would do the same in her situation.

Best of luck to Anna for the rest of the year and best of luck to Venus in seeking the top spot!:) :)

disposablehero
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:58 PM
Well, considering that Anna has beaten the last 6 #1 ranked singles players at one time or another, she's not THAT delusional.

apoet29
Feb 13th, 2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by disposablehero
Well, considering that Anna has beaten the last 6 #1 ranked singles players at one time or another, she's not THAT delusional.

Very true. Hopefully she can take something away from those matches. However, we are talking about her current form and things are not looking good right now. Maybe her form will pick up as the season wears on.

auntie janie
Feb 13th, 2002, 11:17 PM
Okay, I admit it, apoet is right. :) Anna SHOULD stay positive; it is her only hope. If she (or any athlete) gives in to feelings of despair, it is all over.

However, I still disagree with Anna's statement that she is still not yet back to her previous level of play. She HAS reached her previous level of play. She is beating the people she beat in 2000, and losing to the ones she always lost to in 2000. The difference, as apoet said, is that her low ranking now allows her no seedings and no Byes. So she will actually have to play BETTER than she did in 2000 to get back in the top 15.

BTW, as apoet knows, I have always recognized that Anna is a hard worker and a very good tennis player. So those who think I am bent on trashing Anna are wrong.

apoet29
Feb 13th, 2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by janie
Okay, I admit it, apoet is right. :) Anna SHOULD stay positive; it is her only hope. If she (or any athlete) gives in to feelings of despair, it is all over.

However, I still disagree with Anna's statement that she is still not yet back to her previous level of play. She HAS reached her previous level of play. She is beating the people she beat in 2000, and losing to the ones she always lost to in 2000. The difference, as apoet said, is that her low ranking now allows her no seedings and no Byes. So she will actually have to play BETTER than she did in 2000 to get back in the top 15.

BTW, as apoet knows, I have always recognized that Anna is a hard worker and a very good tennis player. So those who think I am bent on trashing Anna are wrong.

Wonderful post as always Janie. I agree with you there. Perhaps these matches against the top players will actually help her there.

ys
Feb 13th, 2002, 11:25 PM
In every tennis match you either won, or you lost. Nothin' in between. Hence, I see nothin' positive whatsoever in any loss, even is it's 10:12 in the third set tiebreaker. Tennis is about winning, not about "playing well" or "improving".

Volcana
Feb 13th, 2002, 11:44 PM
janie- When you're ranked 80-something, a 7-5 set against the #2 player in the world is big deal. Anna is NOT the player she was when she made the top ten. It's not fair to judge her as if she was. She's a low ranked tennis player who has great athletic potential.

If Lina Krasnoroutskaya had played Venus, lost by that score and said that, my answer would be "Yes, you're absolutely right. You can play at that level. Now learn to do it for a whole match."

Lina's ranked 45. Anna's ranked 89.

janie - If you actually treat Anna like the #89 ranked player, you might even find yourself (quietly) rooting for her. The #89 ranked player can find great comfort in a competitve set against the world #2.

Bright Red
Feb 13th, 2002, 11:58 PM
janie

Maybe it's just me, but I understood very well what you said in your original post. I agree with it 100%. You never said that Anna should not be positive about the her match against Venus. That point is obvious, and I fail to see how what you said could have been misinterpreted in that way.

There's a huge difference between being positive and being delusional. Had Anna only said she had a great match, then all would be fine, because she did have a great match. Anna took it one step further (and a big step if I might add), by saying that she held her own against Venus.

If Anna really thinks that, then it seems she's satisfied with her game at this point. Where's the motivation? She's delusional plain and simple. She won't get better as long as she believes it.

Celeste
Feb 13th, 2002, 11:59 PM
Considering she's still sort of coming off an injury and low-ranked, it wasn't a "bad" result. Anna has every right to be cautiously optimistic. Did anyone think she could actually beat Venus unless Venus was sick or really spaced out? Come on! There are many women ranked around Anna would would LOVE to take 5 games off of Venus, especially in a single set. The same could be said for a few in the Top 20. So Anna folded (or Venus came up to speed) in the second set. Anna, well, the underperforming questionmark. She has the ability and the talent to beat Venus, consistently no, but here and there, yes. But it didn't happen at this tournament.

magassi
Feb 14th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Excuse me, but the score of Anna's exhibition win over Jenn was 6-4, 7-5. Is that beating the "bedoodles" out of someone? Or is losing 6-0 in the second after being unable to convert 8 breakpoints in the first set getting the "bedoodles" beaten out of you??

ys
Feb 14th, 2002, 01:23 AM
The only consolation for Anna is that after Aukland she already played 5 tournaments, and every single time it took a Top-tenner to beat her, and mind you, current Top 10 are the most stable Top 10 probably ever.

barmaid
Feb 14th, 2002, 01:26 AM
Why fret?? Anna just broke her nail in the second set!!:eek:
barmaid:wavey:

joao
Feb 14th, 2002, 01:46 AM
Anna is delusional ..... but not for the reason stated in this thread! She is delusional when she thinks she has any chance right now to do well in a tournament where there's at least one top10 player entered! Let alone when almost half of the top10 is playing there! She has no clue whatsoever about how to "strategize" her come-back into the top elite!
Why doesn't she play lower tournaments before she tries anything in Tiers I or II! Her coach is not doing a good job here! At that rythm, she's gonna be kicked out of the 1st-round again in the next slam, because she will draw a top10 player!!! She'll be lucky next week, in Dubai, to not draw Venus or Seles in the 2d round again!!!

This was her 4th 1st-2d round loss in 6 tries this year so far! her SF appearance were made in a Tier IV (HELLO!!) and in a Tier I exceptionnally weak for this level of event (only 3 top10 players with one of them not even going through to the 2d round)! Can't she learn from that!!! GEEEEEZZ

C'mon Anna...... stop being driven by money!!! Do what it takes to improve your ranking...... enter Tiers IV and V and then come back to a highest competition!:fiery:

Hurley
Feb 14th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Hellooooooo? Play smaller tournaments? Her season looks bad? Delusional?

Anna has accumulated 337 points in 2002 already. She is the TENTH-BEST player on Tour through six weeks. That, my friends, puts her on pace for at least a Top 20 finish. Better than approximately 1256 other ranked players.

Come on, guys, be reasonable. She's lost some matches. Big deal: Henin, Williams, Hingis, Williams, Mauresmo, a rampant Smashnova. She still has done better than 90% of the rest of the Top 100 this year, according to the rankings. If you think she won't be back in the Top 20 by the end of the year, YOU'RE delusional. Or illiterate. Oh, I'll go easy on you; you could also be blind. :)

ajayares
Feb 14th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Obviously joao going by your theory all tier one and two tournaments should be reduced to field sizes of 10??

Obviously Anna is not the only one who is struggling to beat top 10 players at the moment???

perphaps we should do a run down of the players ranked in the top 10 and how many have been beaten by players outside it..

Jeninfer - has lost to One player outside the top 10
Venus - has lost to No player outside the top 10
Martina - has lost to No player outside the top 10
Lindsay - has lost to NO player outside the top 10
Kim - has lost to No player outside the top 10
Jelena - has lost to One player outside the top 10
Monica - has lost to NO player outside the top 10
Serena - has lost to One player outside top 10 (but had to default)
Justine - has Lost to NO player outside the top 10
Amelie - has lost to NO player outside the top 10

Yeah.. a whole 2 players have been beaten by players outside the top 10.. so I guess that should mean that anyone ranked outside the top 10 should not enter any tier 1 or 2 events.. becuase obviously they are not going to win :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Obviously you don't have a good grasp of how the ranking pts are divided... The bigger pts are rewarded for playing the higher tier tournaments (If you didn't know that)
Sure she has not beaten any of the top 10 players she has played this year.. but that does not mean she does not have a chance against them.. and it does not mean she is going to draw them in the 2nd rd of every tournamnet she plays.. As for drawing Venus or Monica next week in Dubai in the 2nd rd, well there is 25 % chance that she will.. So that is not a given, is it..

Oh and why would you play a Tier 5 in the hope of earning points.. you get 80 for winning... where as for making the QF's of a Tier one you are certain to get 69 plus more quality pts because the higer ranked player enter.. Anna got 189 pts in Tokyo and only 69 in Auckland for making the semis..

Your theory is floored... simple as that..

Oh you have seen the Draw for the French Open?? please tell me who Anna has drawed.. I will be very interested to see..

There are 32 seeds in the GS's now and Anna has a good chance of getting a seed come that event..

Oh Janie my opinion was obviously was not required for your thread :)

Dawn Marie
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:59 AM
I too agree with Janie's first reply concerning Anna.

reason why Anna was delusional this week.:)

1. She thinks she held her own against Venus today. She lost 7/5 6/0. Maybe Anna needs to go look at her other records concerning her and Venus. Didn't she give Vee a run for her money at the Ole "Lipton" years ago? She was closer then then she is now?? So where the hell is she getting that she can NOW hold her own? Child you got bageled!!

2. She said she can hold her own but clearly lost her mental game. Tennis is mental and Anna is lacking that aspect. So where does she get that she is holding her own when she couldn't convert 8 break points?? Nowhere near Vee in that area. Or Monica or Jennifer.

3. She thinks she has a top ten game which is why she pulled out of another tourney to only loose against Venus. Anna imho needs to stop focusing on these top players and focus on her mental game. I mean why did she withdraw from a tourney that would give her confidence and maybe a better shot at winning?

4. Anna is trying to make herself feel like she did well, but in reality that was far from the truth. Believe me Anna is not the only player to lose 5/7 to Venus. I just don't get it.

Anna has the talent but imho needs to stop being so stubborn and get on with it. Hire a coach and get a sports psychologist.

joao
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Yeah....... she won 337 points! Big deal! How many tournaments did she have to play to win these points??? Not less than 6.....that's around 55 points per tournament! At that rythm, she will need to play 20 tournaments more to get the 1000 points she needs to be into the top20!!! A seed at the french open??? Yeah right!!!

I know exactly how the rankings work......

And yes, as long as she will be ranked in the top50-100 she will have more than 25% chances to draw a seeded player in the early rounds (1st, 2d or 3d rounds!)!!! Of course, she's not the only player to lose againts a top10 player! I never said that! But the fact is that she loses against a top10 player a lot sooner that she would do, had she had a better ranking!!! It's as simple as that! All the players you cited ajayares, lost to top10 players not before QF......unfortunately, Anna doesn't have that chance right now!

Kournikova has a lot of talent but I don't think she'll be back into the top20 that quickly if she keeps on wasting her time in Tier I or II! By playing Tiers III, where the fields are weaker, she can earn a lot of points and jump in the rankings!!! If she plays Tiers IV (OK let's forget Tier V.....I agree they're not worth it!:p ), she can win her first title, and get all the boost she needs to face big guns! Why do you think, Seles was playing all these small tournaments at the end of last year??? For fun??? No! That's because she wanted to improve her ranking to get a better seed for the AO!! And who says a better seed, says a better draw!!! Seles did last year what kournikova should do right now......avoid big babes for a while and then come back!

But again, she might prove me wrong in the next tournament (which I doubt!), and go all the way to the finals! :rolleyes:

Hurley
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:37 AM
[I toned this down a bit...it was pretty harsh and I felt bad]

Obvviously an average of 55 points per tournament is better than all except for nine players so far this year. :)

Meanwhile, Anna clearly said she hung with Venus ONLY in the first set, according to this article...

ANTWERP, Belgium, Feb 13 (Reuters) - Top seed Venus Williams blasted past Russian Anna Kournikova 7-5 6-0 on Wednesday to reach the quarter-finals of the $585,000 Antwerp Open.

The American was forced to save eight break points in the first set against Kournikova before easing away in the second, winning the last eight games of the match to secure victory.

"Anna played really well in the first set, didn't make any easy errors," said Williams after the second round match. "I didn't serve as well as I could but I was happy to up my level in the second set and get the win.

"I'm excited to be playing well in Belgium for the first time, and the Diamond Racket (prize) looks awfully nice."

Kournikova, meanwhile, took solace from her first set performance.

"I had a lot of chances tonight -- I didn't convert on my break points. She played well then and just played better on the crucial points," she said.

"In the second set I lost it a bit mentally and it was too difficult to come back. I was frustrated too, perhaps, at my missed opportunities.

"I am pretty happy with the way I am playing. It shows tonight that at least I was able to live with the number two in the world for a set. :eek: ;)

"Most of my losses this year have come to quality players, and in the next few weeks I am looking to take my chances when I play them and try to win these matches."

Elsewhere, second seed Justine Henin beat Els Callens 6-1 6-4 in an all-Belgian match. Henin, runner-up to Williams at Wimbledon in 2001, will next face sixth-seeded Bulgarian Magdalena Maleeva who beat American Meilen Tu 6-4 6-3.

Qualifier Eva Dyrberg's dream run continued when the Dane beat seventh seed Anne Kremer of Luxembourg 7-6 (7-5) 7-6 (11-9).

ajayares
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by joao
Yeah....... she won 337 points! Big deal! How many tournaments did she have to play to win these points??? Not less than 6.....that's around 55 points per tournament! At that rythm, she will need to play 20 tournaments more to get the 1000 points she needs to be into the top20!!! A seed at the french open??? Yeah right!!!

I know exactly how the rankings work......

And yes, as long as she will be ranked in the top50-100 she will have more than 25% chances to draw a seeded player in the early rounds (1st, 2d or 3d rounds!)!!! Of course, she's not the only player to lose againts a top10 player! I never said that! But the fact is that she loses against a top10 player a lot sooner that she would do, had she had a better ranking!!! It's as simple as that! All the players you cited ajayares, lost to top10 players not before QF......unfortunately, Anna doesn't have that chance right now!

Kournikova has a lot of talent but I don't think she'll be back into the top20 that quickly if she keeps on wasting her time in Tier I or II! By playing Tiers III, where the fields are weaker, she can earn a lot of points and jump in the rankings!!! If she plays Tiers IV (OK let's forget Tier V.....I agree they're not worth it!:p ), she can win her first title, and get all the boost she needs to face big guns! Why do you think, Seles was playing all these small tournaments at the end of last year??? For fun??? No! That's because she wanted to improve her ranking to get a better seed for the AO!! And who says a better seed, says a better draw!!! Seles did last year what kournikova should do right now......avoid big babes for a while and then come back!

But again, she might prove me wrong in the next tournament (which I doubt!), and go all the way to the finals! :rolleyes:

Actually it was 337 from 5 events.. now 372 from 6 events..

She only needs around 900 pts for a seed at the French Open (she currently has 434) with her defending nothing more until October..

She is committed to play either 8 or 9 more events before the French open.. So she has a pretty good chance of doing that (providing she can get some luck with a few draws and of course defeat some of the top players).. we will just wait and see.. but the odds are more for than against..

BTW If her ranking was currently at 35 instead on 89 it would have made No difference in her draw at Antwerp.. was not going to be seeded with that ranking either..

As for the players that have beaten top 10 players.. (excluding Serena loss because she retired) Jennifier lost in the 2nd Rd (her first match) to Stevenson and Dokic also lost in the 2nd Rd (her first match) to kremer.. All before the QF's..

BTW The reason I feel Monica was playing all those events in Asia, was more to do with the fact that she does not play in Germany and there are 3 events scheduled in Germany after the US open..

Plus doing what she did not get her a better seeding at the Oz open..She would have been seeded #9 if Lindsay had played..

Plus they have reduced the # of ranking pts associated with the lower tier events this year.. So I can't see her playing too many more lower tier events for ranking pts.. To win a title there might be a chance, but I doubt she will...

Hurley
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:54 AM
All she needs to worry about is ranking right now, so that she can get more favorable draws. And ajayares is right...she'll get more points beating higher-quality players in bigger events than winning many rounds in low-tier events...Tier I and II points have gone up while Tier III and lower have barely increased their points, if at all...

She may not be Top 32 by the French but she will definitely be there for the US Open....and eventually the title will come.

juggler
Feb 14th, 2002, 08:14 AM
well done hurley

its great what can be done when quotes are taken out of context isnt it.

if we had the rest of the quote to start with, well then basically this thread shouldnt even exist.

this is not a refelection on janie, but more so on the quality of journalism.

Williams Rulez
Feb 14th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Well... Anna can now hang tough with players for a set. But a match is 3 sets long, so she needs to do it for at least 2 sets... and win the sets too.

I think this is a good start, so good luck to her.

Actually, getting a seed for the French Open is not likely, especially if she loses 2nd round so often. As for the ranking issue... Anna will not enter the top 20 if she continues to gain an average of 55 points a tournament. You may only take a maximum of 17 tournaments a year. If she keeps at that, she'll have only 935 points at the end of the year. She'll be ranked 30 with that amount of ranking points.

And I think she is not playing that well yet. I watched her matches and the way she is winning points is usually due to the unforced errors of her opponents. She definitely needs to work on her groundstrokes which are just too flat at the moment. They are not hard, yet they are error prone cause of their flatness. I think that she has improved her net play greatly though. When she goes to the net, she wins many of her points, but she needs help from her groundstrokes before she can go to the net. Her serve has definitely improved, less doublefaults and a really high first serve percentage. I just think that she needs better serve placement or more pace on the serve. It is not very damaging right now. And also, she tends to get tight on important points at times and throws in doublefaults. So mentally, she has got to really improve. Well, just a little improvement off the ground and more net attacks should get her back into the top 15 in no time at all.

But right now, the top 10 is really cramped and are filled with really great players and unless serious injuries occur, I think they'll manage to hold their own and no one below the top 10 may enter any time soon. Unless Anna makes drastic improvements, she'll not crack the top 10.

saki
Feb 14th, 2002, 09:28 AM
There's no point in Anna playing lower tier events. She doesn't do well in them. She is and always has been a big occasion player.

As for whether or not she's back to her best. Yes and no. She is back to where she was in 2000, certainly, but I would argue that she's not back to where she was in 1998. Back then she was beating top 10 players, not just stretching them. Back then she had the guts and mental strength to beat Steffi Graf on grass. That standard of tennis, she hasn't yet found her way back to.

ajayares
Feb 14th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Williams_Rulez

Actually, getting a seed for the French Open is not likely, especially if she loses 2nd round so often. As for the ranking issue... Anna will not enter the top 20 if she continues to gain an average of 55 points a tournament. You may only take a maximum of 17 tournaments a year. If she keeps at that, she'll have only 935 points at the end of the year. She'll be ranked 30 with that amount of ranking points.

I disagree.. firstly who ever did the average of pts per tournament it is wrong.. she was averaging 67 pts per tournament, after Antwerp it is 62..

However as you have pointed out it is the best 17 that count.. So as long as Anna does not get injured and plays a full season.. she will atleast play 25 events and she can eliminate the worst ones from her total..

As I said before, she is scheduled to play atleast 8 events before the French Open, probably 9 (assuming she plays all the Clay court events (Hamburg, Berlin and Rome)

Now as I said that you can eliminate your worst results..
In the 12 events currently on her ranking.. only Tokyo 189pts, Auckland 69pts, Luxembourg 57pts, Sydney 48pts, Antwerp 35pts and Paris 29pts are going to count..
The rest of her pts consists of 1's and a 2 at the Oz open..

So working out an average on 6 events, she is averaging 71pts per tournament..

She will need a few good draws in the next 8 events so she can earn the required 450 odd pts to get that seeding position.. but it is more than a realistic proposition.. only requires to average 50-55 pts per event..

marshmellow
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:00 AM
cutting myself again....ouch....it's so thick on this thread...;)

i would agree that it COuld be beter for anna to play in lower tier events....but anna needs confidence. and i don't know how much confidence she can take from winning matches against players other than those whom she's been used to playing before the injury...

as for anna's comments, enough said. it's obvious what anna was talking about...

Rollo
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Before I get lumped into the "Janie hates Anna" club-just kidding Janie;) I'd like to say I DO love to watch Anna for all the right(her tennis is beautiful) reasons and the usual male fan ones:)

So I'd like to see Anna do well. Really.

With her POTENTIAL, she could go far.

Anna "Fans" defend her with:

1. She may get a seeding at the French. Big whoop. As there are
now 32 seeds, this is no great achievement. And if she
plays every damn week she will likely get a #30 seed.

2. She has beaten top ten women in the past. Yep. Not recently
though. It was easier when she was a kid with little pressure
and the other women had to face THE Anna K-who had a
reputation near equal to Venus in 1998. If she has a rep
for anything now, it's choking or losing the tight ones.

3. She works hard. True, true, true:) One thing Anna's not-is lazy.

All the sweet stuff said-it's time Anna's "fans" wake up and smell the coffee. She's done NOTHING to change her game. Rollo's rule #1 is you ALWAYS do SOMETHING to change a losing game(and by "losing" in Anna's case I mean not meeting her potential).

Take time off. Get a new coach. Get a new serve and forehand. Anna overdoes it. Too many endorsements take up too much time. Too many exhibitions. Then she enters way too many events when she is healthy. None of these ideas are new-yet year in and year out Anna and her fans just go on doing and saying the same things-which is fine if she were winning. She's not.

Maybe all the critics are wrong and Anna IS doing the best she can. But until she tries something different(see above) all we'll see are the same results-with at best a top 20 ranking made artifically high by all the events she enters. And she'll be top 10 in doubles-cause she's one of the best volleyers in the game. But until Anna gets over the teenage attitude of "I'll do it my way" we'll be having this same type of discussion 5 years from now-just as we were 2 years ago.
All of which would be a real shame, because she's better than that.

irma
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:06 AM
I hope Anna get`s some other highlights in her singles career soon because it would be realy sad if the hightlight of her career was a match against a champion 99% from her former form away(100% mentally) and if she doesn`t get another highlight then that match was also her end because it ruined her career.
poor Anna :sad:

ajayares
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Rollo

1. She may get a seeding at the French. Big whoop. As there are
now 32 seeds, this is no great achievement. And if she
plays every damn week she will likely get a #30 seed.

2. She has beaten top ten women in the past. Yep. Not recently
though. It was easier when she was a kid with little pressure
and the other women had to face THE Anna K-who had a
reputation near equal to Venus in 1998. If she has a rep
for anything now, it's choking or losing the tight ones.

3. She works hard. True, true, true:) One thing Anna's not-is lazy.

All the sweet stuff said-it's time Anna's "fans" wake up and smell the coffee. She's done NOTHING to change her game. Rollo's rule #1 is you ALWAYS do SOMETHING to change a losing game(and by "losing" in Anna's case I mean not meeting her potential).

Take time off. Get a new coach. Get a new serve and forehand. Anna overdoes it. Too many endorsements take up too much time. Too many exhibitions. Then she enters way too many events when she is healthy. None of these ideas are new-yet year in and year out Anna and her fans just go on doing and saying the same things-which is fine if she were winning. She's not.

I think it is time that all the non-Anna fans smell the coffee and actually have aclue what they are talking about.. before pushing the keys on the keyboard..

Who the hell is saying that getting a seed at the French Open would be an acheivement??
If you actually read the posts correctly.. you would see that the discussion was about how she was drawing the top seeds early on in the tournament.. If she got seeded at the French Open it would mean avoiding a top seed until atleast the 3rd rd.. :rolleyes: Do you remember who she drew in the first Rd at the Oz.. becuase she was not seeded...

Oh and where have will been??? Anna should take some time off now.. what 7 1/2 mths last year was not enough?? what take the year off this time.. gee
Why does she need to chance things in her game, all of a sudden??? She was ranked #8 less than 12mths ago.. surely there must have been something in her game to get her there then.. I mean she only fell in the ranking because she did not play and has taken a lot of time to get her form back.. but it is coming.. (if you saw her match against Monica in Tokyo, you would know what i am talking about)

She does not get the luxury of playing the top seeds at later stages in tournamnet now.. that's what most were refering too in this topic..

I mean she is not the best player in the world, but most in here are carrying on that she is.. and are on her back becuase she has lost to top 10 players in her last 5 events.. I mean look at her hth against those players a total of 2-18 (including the loses in the last 5 events), so did you really expect her to win??
I mean if she was ranked say 10th at the moment and was playing these players in the QF's and Semis instead of the 1st and 2nd rds I doubt we would be trying to change her game.. Her problem is mental.. simple as that..

Viva
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Brite Red - Is that you in your avatar?

TeeRexx
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Ajay - Mental is not simple.

I like ANNA and I hope that she doesn't have any severe mental barriers to winning because that is much harder to correct than an errant forehand.

Her confidence always seems to be high, but ANNA seems not to be able to relax when playing important points.

Hmm, maybe THAT is the mental aspect that you were eluding to previously. If so, maybe you were correct.

If not, just what is her mental deficiency then?

Sam L
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:38 AM
By saying she can hold her own against top players, I don't know how the heck that makes her "delusional" :confused:

Remember she's coming back from injury too. She has beaten top players in the past so indeed she can hold her own against them. And she will yet get more wins against them.

ajayares
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:47 AM
I know it is not easy to correct.. else she might have done that already..

However in matches against the top players she loses concentration for a particular period in a match.. and that is the point in which she loses the match.. it too hard to come back against the top players.. Against the lower ranked players she may be able to get away with it and still win, but against the top players No hope....

There are 2 Great recent examples.. I have seen both these matches.. Serena in Sydney and Monica in Tokyo..

It was 3-3 in the final set in both matches.. then both Serena And Monica held serve to lead 4-3.. It was Anna turn to serve and in both those games she played a very sloppy game.. by making these silly enforced errors, meaning her service game was gone and therefore the match..

I don't know how she is going to correct the problem.. but a win against one of the top 10 players might help.. then another might come and therefore her confidence should begin to rise.. Its a barrier she has to get thru.. just like when she made her comback from injury.. she couldn't beat anyone.. then she got a win.. now she seems pretty confident against the players she should beat.. I suppose that is what I am looking for..
But really I don't know how the mental aspect of a player can be corrected.. I am sure all players have gone thru it at one point in there career. I am just hoping that Anna can over come it. becuase she is really a damn good player.. just got to put the pieces together now..

Martian Martin
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Just unbelievable, yet again we have another thread like this about Anna, I think what you have to do is see what Venus said about Anna's play in the 1st set, I know there are a lot of you out there that don't like Anna and that's fine, that's your opinion, but just because you don't like her, doesn't make her a crap player.

I don't even know why I bother replying to things like this :(

irma
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:01 PM
everytime when it seems she is ready to break the barrier she get`s a bad injury, that`s a fact!

auntie janie
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:38 PM
JUGGLER is right - if I had seen more of Anna's post-match comments I would not have started this thread. TAKEN AS A WHOLE, her remarks were realistic and not delusional. Thank you Juggler for posting the additional comments here. :angel:

BTW, I absolutely think Anna is a top-20 player and I don't think she will linger long in the 80's.
But to point to the 2002 points total is also somewhat misleading. Anna is the ONLY player who has played every single week since the season began, so of course she outpaces others (eg. Shaughnessy) who have not played much yet.

BK4ever
Feb 14th, 2002, 02:08 PM
All this back and forth about Anna's talent is meaningless, what is important to argue is that the girl has no COACH. I'm a huge fan, but I hardly pay attention anymore, because I refuse to give my full support to someone with that much talent who doesnt see the necessity of a COACH. When she gets one, we can all jump back on her bandwagon.

The lack of a REAL COACH is "the" deciding factor in whether Anna ever truly fulfills her potential.

"Thoughts from one of ANNA'sd frustrated FANS"

harloo
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Sorry, I think Anna is still delusional, and the sad part about it is that I like Anna I really do. She could do so much more for the sport if she bagged a couple of tournaments, but it really is not a priority for her. What incentive is their for her to improve and win a tournament? None. She will always have a legion of male fans who will be their regardless of her results, and that's no incentive at all. She never has to worry about making money on the tour to support the lifestyle, and tournament directors will always bend over backwards for her to enter their tournament because of who she is not how she plays.

It seems like everytime she loses to a top player she either says she's so close, or that she would be ranked in the top ten if she wasn't injured, or that playing smaller tournaments won't help her. I just wish she would stop with the excuses and live up to her full potential and win tournaments. She is very talented, but must realize that she only has a certain amount of time in tennis.

What I find disturbing about her results is that she beats a top player here and their, but can't finish off the tournament which proves she needs to work on her game. I do say that she needs to start off with Tier IV's, V's so she can build up some mental strength, confidence and improve her ranking.

I say she can win a tier 1 and other tournaments in the future if she wise's up, however it's gonna be hard for her to win a slam with all the new players coming in the game. I just don't see her ever winning one at this rate, which is unfortunate.

apoet29
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:39 PM
I find this thread to be so sad! There are so many Anna fans and tennis fans who want to see her do well. I still stand by my previous statement that Anna should try and be as positive as possible. It would be to Anna's detriment if she fell apart now. However, I really hope that she is learning something, anything from her losses to these top players, which would help her turn around her game.

I seems that Anna's play against these players is declining rather than improving with each match. She played well against Serena, Monica and Justine. Then in Paris, she fell apart against Amelia when Anna actually had the second set in hand losing 5 straight games and the match. Now in Belgium, she loses 8 straight games to Venus. Even worse, Anna is still making the same comments she has always made. "That I just have to take it one match at a time. That I played well in one set." That mentality won't win a player matches and definantly not a tournament. Nor does it appear that Anna and her team are doing anything to rectify the situation. They keep going from tournament to tournament hoping for some luck. Yes, Anna has had bad injuries at the worst times, so do many other top players. It doesn't appear to hurt their results, which means that there is something else going on with Kournikova.

It takes more than luck to win. A great example of this is Jennifer Capriati. In 2000, everyone was on Jennifer's case. She wasn't playing well that year and in fact, Jen had gained a lot of weight. At the end of that season, Jen decided to turn things around and really went for it. She said in an interview "I was sick and tired of losing matches I should have won and I decided it was now or never!" Now look at her results! Anna needs that. She needs to stop being so complacent on the court and really go for it. The top players are an amazing bunch of athletes, but none of these ladies are unbeatable, even the lovely Venus. Anna has the talent and the shots to beat these players and she doesn't appear to want to try and do so. Harloo is right. The problem is that the WTA, Anna's management team and her family and friends appear to be coddling her, instead of pushing her to achieve her best. That may be the reason for Anna's attitude on the court.

I really would like to see Anna achieve something in singles play. She is far too talented not to do so. But I fear that if something does not change soon that may never happen.:sad:

Bright Red
Feb 14th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by apoet29
The top players are an amazing bunch of athletes, but none of these ladies are unbeatable, even the lovely Venus.
Someone is starting to meddle. Watch it! (j/k:) )

apoet29
Feb 14th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Bright Red

Someone is starting to meddle. Watch it! (j/k:) )

OMG!!! :eek:

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!!!!

c2
Feb 14th, 2002, 07:54 PM
hmmmm... I 'm afraid her problem is way more than just mental. She has no serve to speak of! Her fitness is not up to par with the top ten players. (No, looking good in her cute little blue outfit does NOT make her as fit as other top players.) Her second serve is often a total creampuff that is OFTEN smacked back for an outright winner.

In the time she's been out, other players have improved exponentially... Clijsters, Henin, Capriati, and of course the Williams sisters, to name a few. the competition is MUCH rougher than when she got injured, in my opinion.

She needs a REAL tennis coach, not her mom, and she needs to make tennis number one. So far it's endosements #1, Tennis second. She'll be out of the top 100 soon if she doesn't make some radical changes.

Now, before you attack me for being an Anna hater, you should know that I love to watch her play. She is elegant on court with a beautiful flowing motion to her game. I'm frustrated that she is making a laughingstock out of herself, and selling herself as a sex symbol, not a tennis player! :mad: :mad: :mad: :fiery: :fiery:

Rollo
Feb 14th, 2002, 08:54 PM
On talent alone Anna's going to stay in the top 20 cmglenn, but you and bk4ever are spot on-She needs to change coaches. Change something. Unless of course she's happy where she is.

Either I was unclear or you misunderstood Ajayares. Of course I know she was out injured. What I meant by "take time off" was to use periods when she's NOT hurt wisely. From November to January for instance. Globetrotting around doing the exhibition scene(again)gets her no where. We know her ranking will go up now-so does she have to play week after week and risk further injury?

Why does she need to chance things in her game, all of a sudden??? She was ranked #8 less than 12 months ago

#8 without a title. Ever. And that early 2001 rank was artifically high, coming as it did with an ungodly 29 official events played in 2000. It's no wonder she wasn't injured earlier.

It's not "all of a sudden". It's 6 years she's been on tour. 6 years to learn, to win a title,to adjust. She's done nothing in that regard.

Watch Justine Henin this year. If reports are true, she spent the winter working on a weakness(the serve). Right now she's struggling because change always comes at a price. I won't be surprised if she radically improves once she's got that new serve down. Justine relialized she needed change and had the guts to take that step.

If Anna did the same and STILL can't win a tier 3 event, I'll leave her alone Ajayares. But the same old, same old training methods will likely only get the same old results. All her critics are asking is that she try something different. Then, and only then, can we judge the results.

the cat
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Oh Janie! You're at it again! Why why why? You have misquoted Anna. I have the quote from CNNSI.com. Anna said, "I'm positive about it. It was a great set and I showed that I can hold my own against the No. 2 in the world". She was talking about the first set Janie. Not the second. That's 2 more minutes in the penalty box for you Janie! The last time it was 2 minutes for roughing. This time it's 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct! Janie, the penalty box is awaiting your arrival!

apoet29
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by the cat
Oh Janie! You're at it again! Why why why? You have misquoted Anna. I have the quote from CNNSI.com. Anna said, "I'm positive about it. It was a great set and I showed that I can hold my own against the No. 2 in the world". She was talking about the first set Janie. Not the second. That's 2 more minutes in the penalty box for you Janie! The last time it was 2 minutes for roughing. This time it's 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct! Janie, the penalty box is awaiting your arrival!

Cat,

I think you need to read Janie's other comments as well as comments by other posters before you commit Janie to the penalty box! :p

She is not being unsportsmanlike for expressing her own opinion any more than anyone else! That is why this messageboard is an open forum for ideas. Janie hasn't misquoted Anna since that is what Anna stated.

Besides as others have alluded to, Anna does not have much to be proud of since she lost 8 straight games to Venus. Even ajayres has expressed his unhappiness and other fans on the Anna board as well as this one are not happy with that statement either! I'm not saying she shouldn't try to be positive or learn something from this match. She should do whatever it takes to get back into some sort of form. However, her claims that winning 5 games from the world no. 2 is some sort of achievement, especially when she faded in the second set indicates someone who is unwilling to look at the match logically. With her ranking, Anna cannot afford these mental lapses.

My heart goes out to the girl. I hope that things turn around for her soon!

auntie janie
Feb 15th, 2002, 01:50 AM
It's OFF TO THE KENNELS for the cat! He's been outted by the ever-alert apoet for:

1) Failure to Actually READ the Posts; and
2) Reacting to the Topic Name Only!

Tsk, tsk! For these offences the cat is sentenced to 2 weeks in the local economy-class kennel (the "Howl-a-day Inn":D).
Sorry cat, the rest of the inmates are little yapping doggies! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ajayares
Feb 15th, 2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Rollo
Either I was unclear or you misunderstood Ajayares. Of course I know she was out injured. What I meant by "take time off" was to use periods when she's NOT hurt wisely. From November to January for instance. Globetrotting around doing the exhibition scene(again)gets her no where. We know her ranking will go up now-so does she have to play week after week and risk further injury?

#8 without a title. Ever. And that early 2001 rank was artifically high, coming as it did with an ungodly 29 official events played in 2000. It's no wonder she wasn't injured earlier.

It's not "all of a sudden". It's 6 years she's been on tour. 6 years to learn, to win a title,to adjust. She's done nothing in that regard.

If Anna did the same and STILL can't win a tier 3 event, I'll leave her alone Ajayares. But the same old, same old training methods will likely only get the same old results. All her critics are asking is that she try something different. Then, and only then, can we judge the results.

The Globetrotting as you call it was a necessary act this year IMO.. she had won Jac sh!t since making her comeback in Late September.. she needed to play matches.. (Of course in other years she didn't need to play any.. but she did take the whole of December off in the past) She just love playing, surely you cannot hold that against her.. she likes bringing the sport to countries which don't see women's Tennis.. eg Sth Africa, Brazil(now does however, but in 2000 didn't) Chile, Eucador

Now as for comment about her ranking been artifically high.. from playing however many tournaments?? 29 hey, don't think so, try 26 and then tell me how come her ranking was still #8 going into the French Open?? she only had 17 tournaments on her record then.. it was still artifically high then??

If that is the case with the 26 events, then jelena Dokic's ranking must be artifically high as well.. given that she has 28 tournments in her name in the last 12 mths..

The fact is that both these players are playing to the rules.. only the best 17 count.. and other players can play more tournaments if they like..
Don't get me wrong, I don't like Anna playing so much.. 22-24 would be more than enough for her.. but currently she is trying to restore her ranking as fast as possible.. so she can have the chance of better draws in ther future.. There is nothing wrong with that.. as long as she does not get injured (playing No doubles is a help aswell)

You don't know what training methods she is using at the moment?? you are just assuming becuase she has not won anything.. The Fact is that she has had coaches.. and played well under then.. she has had coaches where she didn't play well under them.. She has not had a coach and played well with that..

Currently that is her strategy and I am sure she has her reasons for it.. She however recently got a personal trainer, so she must feel she needed one..

Just for the record I think she needs a coach, but what would I know.. she the one playing the game not me..

BrianII
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:46 AM
Ajayares,

This is not an attack mode post so please don't take it that way......Its just that I agree with a lot of points Rollo made in a previous post ...and do not understand where you are coming from with regards to playing Lower ranked tourneys.
You point out that Anna has been losing these close matches to top 10 players as have most other players ...you then justify her playing these events like Antwerp with 4 top ten players as opposed to Doha with 1 top ten player on the basis that there are more points available at Antwerp. Whats the probabilty of drawing that 1 top 10er in Doha as opposed to the probability of drawing 1 of 4 top 10ers in Antwerp in early rounds.....Martina got 225 pts winning Doha last year Venus got I think 198pts winning Auckland, I guess there must be decent pts available for finalists too. Patty won 5 smaller events to get to the top ten justine won smaller events ,kim won smaller events even Venus first tiltle was Oklahoma , I believe Amelie did too ( not sure about that).......and Monica one of the greatest players ever is not above playing lower tiers. I can understand Anna not going out of her way to target lower tier event but in a week where Doha and Antwerp are being played in the same week....whats the justification for picking Antwerp over Doha. It may well be that if Anna bears down and actually goes all the way in 1 of these smaller events ..the flood gates with regard to titles might
just open for her alternately they might not .....she has had great performances of the years where she goes all the way in large events only to lose to a martina or a venus in the final ...Miami, Moscow , charleston etc and she can't be critized for these loses as anybody could lose to these players and they lose to each other too .....but what worries me more is when she goes out and beats Martina in one round only to lose like 1 and 0 to conchita in the next ,,beats lindsay only to then lose to Dragomir or beats Testud only to lose easily to Sidot ..I don/t think her ability to beat top players is the problem she has shown that repeatedly ...but her ability to go all the way is..why not get it done in easier forums like Doha then take that confidence into the larger froums...or a least give it a try. The way she's playing right now if she had been on opposite side of monica at doha it would have been almost a sure bet she'd reach the final and even if she was on monica side if she hopes to beat Venus then amelie then maybe Justine/Dokic (assuming seeding held, I know dokic is out now)..then she must have hoped to beat monica too.

Volcana
Feb 15th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Many players underperform at crucial times. Justine Henin's serve in tie-breakers, for example. However, Anna has never shown any recognition of these situations. She attempts VERY difficult shots in high pressure situations. That stuff looks great if it works. But often it costs you the set if it doesn't.

If you're going to tense up at 3-3 in the third, at least realize it in advance and plan for it. Don't just say "this time I won't screw up that way." over and over and over again. If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten.

I'd like to see Anna play somebody who's clever or has some game, but who also has weaknesses. That way, when things get tense, we'll be able to see if Anna can get it together and use her superior athleticism to attck their weaknesses. Someone like Rita Grande or Alex Stevenson.

Rollo
Feb 15th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the support Apoet and Brian:)

Ajayares-

Taking one December off is not my idea of a break to retool a game. Relearning a stroke takes at least that long. Billie Jean King took a good 3 months to learn a new serve in 1965-her first slam came the next year. While Henin's attempt may fail, I admire her for trying it.

Yes, Dokic's ranking was artificially high last year IMO.

Yes, she's gone through a lot of "coaches" (bad sign), because the real coach is still momma.

Lets just agree to disagree. I hope I'm wrong and she starts winning title after after title without learning "the hard way". Time will tell, right?

Janie-you crack me up o catty one. Don't lose those claws. MEOW!;)

ajayares
Feb 15th, 2002, 07:59 AM
BrianII, I don't take your post as an attack.. you make some very good pts.. however I was refering to ranking pts in tier 5 events..(you get 80 for winning the event) there is nothing wrong with playing tier 3 events however.

In fact after seeing the Draw in Antwerp I did wish that she played Doha instead..
But it's easy to say she made the wrong decision after seeing the draw.. Who's to say she would not have been in the same part of the draw in Doha, as she was in Antwerp.. meaning a 2nd Rd match with Monica..

Anna is playing in Mexico, a tier 3 in a few weeks, so perhaps that might give her a good chance..

Ok Rollo we will agree to disagree... I don't have a problem with peoples opinions when it comes to Anna just as long as the facts are reported correctly ;) and of course it is not a bashing post (but I tend to leave them alone these days)

onkelmartin
Feb 15th, 2002, 09:32 AM
ANNA STILL NEED SOME TIME AND AT THE END OF THE YEAR SHE WILL BE UNDER THE TOP 20 ON WTA-TOUR:
2002 SHE WILL WIN THE FIRST FINAL.:) :) :) :) :)

Hurley
Feb 15th, 2002, 05:07 PM
A. "I'd like to see Anna play somebody who's clever or has some game, but who also has weaknesses. That way, when things get tense, we'll be able to see if Anna can get it together and use her superior athleticism to attck their weaknesses. Someone like Rita Grande or Alex Stevenson."

How about Dementieva, a better player than either Rita or Alex?

How about holding her own in two straight tiebreakers?

B. No matter how many tournaments Anna plays, only 17 count, so she could play 40 tournaments and still only 17 would count. There goes that argument.

I swear, some of you people are so friggin' stupid when it comes to being objective with Anna. I can understand it but I'll never accept.

joao
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by ajayares

Sure she has not beaten any of the top 10 players she has played this year.. but that does not mean she does not have a chance against them.. and it does not mean she is going to draw them in the 2nd rd of every tournamnet she plays.. As for drawing Venus or Monica next week in Dubai in the 2nd rd, well there is 25 % chance that she will.. So that is not a given, is it..

GUESS WHAT ajayares????? Kournikova just draw Venus in the 2d-round at Dubai !!!!!!

""Dubai-"Anna Kournikova must wonder what she has to do to stop coming up against Venus Williams at the start of a tournament. Williams, who is playing Antwerp, is the top seed at the Dubai Tennis Championships and has a first round bye but for the second time in as many events the Russian is in line to face the reigning Wimbledon and US Open champion.

In a match between two wild cards, Kournikova will take on Tunisian Selima Sfar first up and the winner will play Williams. Sfar did well in Dubai twelve months ago when she reached the quarterfinals.

Second seed Monica Seles has a first round bye and her first opponent will be either a qualifier or Tatiana Poutchek.

Three Australians are also in the main draw. In a repeat of their first round match from the Australian Open this year Alicia Molik will play Tatiana Panova. Last year's semifinalist Rachel McQuillan who received the third wild card, will take on Tina Pisnik while Nicole Pratt plays Emmanuelle Gagliardi for the right to play third seed Amelie Mauresmo."-From Cross Court Tennis.

Rocketta
Feb 16th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Pts aside there is such a thing as the benefits of a winning streak or winning a tournaament on your confidence!! How can she build confidence when she is playing one and out or playing 2 matches and out?? She has mental issues and I don't think losing in the first and second round 5 or 6 straight times hoping for that one big win over a top 10 player is going to help her fragile mental situation.

Playing at smaller tier events might not gain her more points but it would sure give her some experience at playing in semi-finals and finals. Maybe even some experience with handling the pressure of being expected to win.

Forget points it would seem to me that Confidence should be her motivating factor, right now!!

joao
Feb 16th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Well I think she 's scheduled to play Acapulco (tier III) instead of Scottsdale (Tier II)...... that might be what she needs to build some confidence up! Hopefully she will stick to that decision and won't change her mind at the last minute and end with a WC at the State's farm!!!!!

disposablehero
Feb 16th, 2002, 10:57 PM
Apparently Amelie Mauresmo is also delusional.

auntie janie
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Disposable,
I don't know what Amelie said to cause you to make this bitter comment, but she did take Venus to the limit just last week -- by that I mean she actually won a set, & then took the 3rd set to the very limit. So if Amelie said she can hang with Venus, that remark would not be outside the bounds of reality.

However, I don't have any idea how Amelie comes into this. Regarding the actual topic of this thread, we will get further evidence next week to show whether Anna is delusional or not.

disposablehero
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:13 PM
janie, I think we just got further evidence. Venus just beat a solid top 10 player by almost an identical score as the one with Anna.

ajayares
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by joao

GUESS WHAT ajayares????? Kournikova just draw Venus in the 2d-round at Dubai !!!!!!

What's your point??? You seem to think that Anna was going to draw Venus or Monica for sure.. I said it was a possibility.. in fact a 25% chance... but that is using the theory that she would have to meet a seed in either the 1st or 2nd rd. but really the odds are actually longer. becuase in the first rd she had a 4/27 chance of drawing a seed.. and then it depends on if, she drew the seed or not.. since she didn't, the odds in the 2nd rd of Anna drawing Venus was 1/8 as there are 8 seeds..

Anyway the fact is that Anna has drawn her doesn't mean she has made a bad decision in playing this event..

As I said before it is easy to say "I told you so" after seeing the draw..

Rollo
Feb 17th, 2002, 10:00 AM
I'd rather she have played Bogota(and had a shot at winning).
Lets hope she sticks to entering the Mexican Open.

ajayares
Feb 17th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Umm Why do you doubt she will play Mexico??

She is actually on the commitments list for that event. unlike the others.. such as Doha..

If Anna says she is going to play an event she will.. she doesn't come up with Mickey mouse excuses like some other players have in the past.. (unless she has a REAL injury)

Plus she is only playing more than likely due to her sponser, therefore she will not be pulling out..

Rollo
Feb 17th, 2002, 10:11 AM
I don't doubt it ajayares-relax:) Lots of things can happen, that's all, especially playing as many weeks as she has been. I just agree with some posters who said Anna should be playing lower tier events(where she might actually win one) and get victories, confidence, and momentum. Why not save the larger tiers for Miami, where a large draw at least gives her a better chance of drawing a nonseed early? Or if was playing Dubai, why not do what Seles did-and play them both(Doha and Dubai)?

ajayares
Feb 17th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Umm.. She is not really going to have a chance of better draws at Indian Wells or the Lipton(as I will call it) becuase in the 2nd rd (top 32 seeds in a bye in the first) she is going to have to face a seeded players.. sure logic tells you that there is a better chance of her not drawing a top seed, but it can happen.. (But atleast Jen, Lindsay, Venus, Serena and Amelie are not playing, Kim must be doubtful aswell) So i suppose that gives her a better chance there..

But really It is No difference to playing Dubai.. or all the other events she has played in the last few weeks.. she is going to need luck in the draw.. becuase curently she has a hard time of beating the top 10 players.. anyone from 11 downwards would be good for a change..

auntie janie
Feb 17th, 2002, 04:07 PM
I agree with Rollo that Anna should be playing smaller events right now. No reason to go all the way to Bogota, either; in Memphis this week the top seed is Amanda Coetzer, 2nd seed is Lisa Raymond.

ajayares, Anna did let the people in Doha down; the tournament director said she had committed to play there weeks ago; also on Amelie's site, she says that Anna changed her mind about where to play at the last minute. Here is what Tennis Week says: "We are disappointed to announce the withdrawal of Anna Kournikova from the event," a Qatar Tennis Federation official said. "She informed us that she wouldn't be able to play in Doha. Anna had confirmed her participation a long time back."
So don't say that Anna never pulls out; she also ditched Oklahoma City a couple years ago at the last minute with no reason; she does it like they all seem to do it these days. If it is one person's word against another's, it is not always Anna who is telling the truth, either, as you seem to assume.

But in Anna's defense for choosing Dubai over Memphis, when she signed up I don't think Monica or Venus were committed to play there yet; I know Amelie wasn't. Anna is 3-0 over 4th seed Testud, so it might have looked like a good bet at the time.

ajayares
Feb 18th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by janie

ajayares, Anna did let the people in Doha down; the tournament director said she had committed to play there weeks ago; also on Amelie's site, she says that Anna changed her mind about where to play at the last minute. Here is what Tennis Week says: "We are disappointed to announce the withdrawal of Anna Kournikova from the event," a Qatar Tennis Federation official said. "She informed us that she wouldn't be able to play in Doha. Anna had confirmed her participation a long time back."
So don't say that Anna never pulls out; she also ditched Oklahoma City a couple years ago at the last minute with no reason; she does it like they all seem to do it these days. If it is one person's word against another's, it is not always Anna who is telling the truth, either, as you seem to assume.

But in Anna's defense for choosing Dubai over Memphis, when she signed up I don't think Monica or Venus were committed to play there yet; I know Amelie wasn't. Anna is 3-0 over 4th seed Testud, so it might have looked like a good bet at the time.

Janie I know you have been waiting for my reply.. so I will not disappoint you :)

So you have a quote from tennis week.. so that must be the real story??? Yeah of course.. it might be the one that you want to believe..
Then if she was on the commitments list 3 weeks ago, then why did we not hear anything about it until the 3rd Feb??? that's 3 weeks ago is it???

Then can you explain this on the board that was posted by a member..

"I just spoke to my friend who works at IMG, and he said that the WTA knew since the beginning of the week that Serena's ankle was not 100% and could potentially pull out. In addition, the DOHA tournament was upset that no top ten player had signed up for their event, so the WTA set out to fix both problems. That is how Venus ended up playing Antwerp and Monica got convinced to play DOHA.

He also mentioned that Anna was never officially confirmed for DOHA, that it was a misrepresentation by the Press. Her name was apart of the negotiations to fulfill the request of the DOHA tournament. He also mentioned that they are still worried about Monica playing DOHA as she has told them that she is exhausted, but. That is the reason they pushed Anna to play DOHA as well, but she chose Antwerp.."

Also since she was never going to get into Antwerp on her ranking, do you think the WTA would approve a Wild Card for her to play Antwerp, if she was set to play Doha??? I don't think so..

Now to your other point - pulling out of Oklahoma City(2000) at the last minute, without a reason??

Well wrong again Janie... Yeah she pulled out of the event.. but this was a week before the event began and there was a reason for you information.. "it was due to a change in schedule"

Now I am not saying it was the right decision (but it was a week before, a bit different than withdrawing on the eve), but I know it had something to do with a sponser in mexico.. pegaso.. she was actually down there doing stuff for them and then played in the doubles exhibition.. She plays that event all the time now in Mexico (well commits to it, couldn't play last year due to injury)

As for Dubai.. Venus and Monica had committed before her.. but not Amelie..

jd4eva
Feb 18th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Just a note:

Jelena won a 2 Tier I's and a Tier II last year.

And her form so far this year has suggested she deserves her rank.

Rollo
Feb 18th, 2002, 04:28 PM
The 2000 withdrawal from Oklahoma was EXACTLY the kind of ding-dong chase the money activity I hope Anna will put an end to. Withdrawing from an official event is understandable. There is no good excuse for withdrawing from a WTA event to play an exhibition-an exhibition where Anna, Schett and Zvereva were all trying to lose to catch early planes out.

Now before anyone thinks I'm jumping all over poor Anna, all the big stars from Chris Evert and Monica Seles on down have done similar things. Capriati(or more correctly, her father) was a big offender in the early 90's. Thank the lord Capriati learned her lesson. Maybe Anna has(or will) soon.

stubbsy71
Feb 18th, 2002, 07:35 PM
One for my mate Janie

An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman were exploring deepest, darkest Africa when they came across a huge river. They were just wondering how they would get across when a leprechaun appeared on the riverbank (It's a long way to Tipperary - he'd got lost). "If you can get across this river without being eaten by the crocodiles" he said, "I'll give you my pot of gold..." "No problem" says the Englishman. He gets halfway across before being swallowed by an enormous crocodile. The Scotsman goes next but almost as soon as he touches the water, a croc gets him. Finally it's the Irishman's turn. Before diving in, he gets out a permanent marker and writes "Kournikova to win a tournament" on his shirt. He then dives in and swims all the way across, no problem. "Thats amazing" says the leprechaun, "How on earth did you do that". "Well", says the Irishman, "Kournikova to win a tournament.. come on, not even a crocodile can swallow that..."

;)

auntie janie
Feb 18th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Oh stubbsy! :cool: :D

But just as funny as stubbsy's joke is ajayares' dancing around trying to rationalize Anna's late (yes, a week's notice is late) withdrawal from Oklahoma (which left the tournament scrambling to find a replacement), because of a "change of schedule"! That is just another way of saying "Hey, I changed my mind! Deal with it!" :rolleyes:

Ajayares, each of these stories has two sides. We will never know the exact story behind them. As Rollo said, Anna is no worse than the other players in this regard -- but please don't say she is so much better, either. Face it, my tendency to believe the tournament directors is no more rotten than your tendency to believe Anna in every case. Anna is NOT A DIVINE BEING WHO CAN DO NO WRONG, she is just a very famous person with strengths and weaknesses like a rest of us. :angel:

ajayares
Feb 19th, 2002, 02:17 AM
What ever janie what ever, you can believe what you like.. I really don't give a toss bag.. but you seem to live in the world that everything you read is the truth..

Oh and I don't think Anna is perfect or cannot do anything wrong at all either.. you just like to assume that everything you read about Anna is the real story, well I know that it is not the case all the time...