PDA

View Full Version : Injury ranking for Williams?

Raj
Dec 26th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Serena and Venus have been out for about 6 months due to injury.

Does this mean that they will have an injury ranking and be seeded 1 and 2 for the Australian Open?
I dont think players can use injury rankings in the Grand Slams? Anyone know?

If not it will be fun to see which of the top eight seeds will play Venus in the fourth round of the Australian Open. Think about it we could see Venus playing Serena, Kim, Justine or Capriati in only the fourth round!

I think this should make things really interesting and I can't wait until the draw comes out (even though it is a bit early!).

Geoffry
Dec 26th, 2003, 09:11 PM
I think they can use it, but I don't think they will because they still high ranked.
Yeah, it would be fun to see some top-8 player facing Venus in the 4th round:)

AjdeNate!
Dec 26th, 2003, 09:29 PM
There's really no 'special' seeding. They can obtain and use and Injury Protected Ranking. And IPR is used for ENTRY into an event, and not a seed.

However, the AO, as all Slams, have the authority to seed anyone anywhere they'd like presuming the player is in the Top 32 entered players.

Meaning, they could put #32 as the #1 seed if they wanted to. It's discretionary for each Slams' seeding committee.

AjdeNate!
Dec 26th, 2003, 09:30 PM
...oh and they don't need to use an IPR. They are plenty high enough to gain direct entry into any event they'll ever want to play. ;)

LucasArg
Dec 27th, 2003, 05:46 AM
I think they will seed them in the top 4, I don't know if they will seed Serena #1, but Venus SHOULD be seeded at least #4.

Lapin
Dec 27th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Does anyone know when the seedings will be announced? (I'm guessing during the week of the Adidas? Or is it earlier?)