PDA

View Full Version : Flashback: Amanda Graheme Oz Open!

slice
Dec 19th, 2003, 04:51 AM
what a match! who would've thought that the number 3 seed, Serena Williams, would be troubled by the little-known Australian WC, Amanda Grahame in the 1st round of the 2000 Australian Open. I remember watching this match on tv as it was so unexpected and so thrilling so i thought i'd briefly right bout it and hope some of u remember it?

they kept on showing to grahame's support group (a girl with long blonde hair who almost had a heart attack after grahame won the second set 6-4 whereas the commentators couldnt believe that amanda was keeping all the nerves in!) at 4-6 6-4, all the pressure was on serena williams and nothing was on Grahame, who fought hard during the night match but only one break of serve in the final set led serena to victory :fiery: so serena won 6-4 4-6 6-4.

still, what a great match and i hope some of you watched it as it is seldom often these days, with maybe the exception of alicia molik, to trouble the world's top 5 players in such a way!

:hearts: amanda :hearts:

great match! :D :bounce:

azza
Dec 19th, 2003, 04:54 AM
So was the score 6-4 4-6 6-4 to serena

azza
Dec 19th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Amanda :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

TS
Dec 19th, 2003, 05:37 AM
I remember it, a great great effort by Amanda :)

Serena was obviously a shadow of what she is now, but she was still the US Open champion at the time and this was a huge thing for Amanda!

That girl in the crowd going ballistic was Amanda's little sis.

That's the thing about Amanda...she is so damn calm on the court and rarely shows emotion. It was amazing how she kept her cool, but at the end just didnt have the experience to get the win!

AUSBOY
Dec 19th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Amanda was down 2-4 in the 3rd set, she broke back with some aggression to level at four all. It was at this stage that she actually thought she might be able to win (well thats what she said in her interview after the match!) and then she got very tentative and was just pushing the ball back.

Its amazing how one match can change your career. Had Amanda won this her ranking would have gone top 130 and who knows what she would have done the rest of the year with a lot more confidence.

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 19th, 2003, 08:03 AM
they kept on showing to grahame's support group (a girl with long blonde hair who almost had a heart attack

i SOOOO remember their faces.

It was priceless :haha: :rolls: :lol: :rolls::worship:

I hav it on tape :angel:

azza
Dec 19th, 2003, 08:18 AM
where there faces like :speakles: :eek: :clap2: :retard:

AUSBOY
Dec 19th, 2003, 10:08 AM
where there faces like :speakles: :eek: :clap2: :retard:

Yes exactly like that azza!

By the way azza Im upset you havent added me to your favourite posters list yet :sad:

slice
Dec 19th, 2003, 10:09 AM
yeh they were azza :p

it was great match :worship:

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 19th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Hi AUSBOY

AUSBOY
Dec 19th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Hi AUSBOY

Hey Spikey! :angel:

azza
Dec 20th, 2003, 03:03 AM
Hi :angel: :p

louloubelle
Dec 22nd, 2003, 02:38 AM
Thanks for this thread

Who could forget this match. I saw the draw and hoped Grahame would get a game. I was impressed when she pushed Serena in the 1st set, however she continued that form as well as her splendid serving in which many times Serena was moving the wrong way and was deceived. As usual in her early days, whenever Serena fell behind against someone she should beat, she always ran around grimacing in pain and this was the case again. Serena I though was choking big time (and not injured) and unfortunately at 4 all in the 3rd Grahame just couldn’t capitilise on this.
I laughed when Serena reached 4-2 or 3-1 she smacked a backhand winner and said to Grahame ‘that’s my best shot’. Grahame didn’t give her a 2nd look and it was funny that Serena had to resort to some gamesmanship to beat the then no. 280 in the world.

Ausboy said that she would’ve reached 130 with that win, it would’ve been interesting because if Amanda won she would’ve faced Nicole Pratt in rnd 2!

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 22nd, 2003, 03:50 AM
I laughed when Serena reached 4-2 or 3-1 she smacked a backhand winner and said to Grahame ‘that’s my best shot’. Grahame didn’t give her a 2nd look and it was funny that Serena had to resort to some gamesmanship to beat the then no. 280 in the world.

:o :lol:

louloubelle
Dec 23rd, 2003, 12:24 AM
This thread has made me remember the many near misses that the Aussie players have had over the years.....

(Im a bit dodgy on the year these events happened... sorry)

Nicole Pratt led Serena Williams 4-3 or 3-2 in the 3rd set of a US 1st rnd in 98?? maybe??
Jenny Byrne had a match point against Helena Sukova in the 1st rnd Aus Open 94??
A slumping Joanne Faull also had a match point against Sukova at Wimbledon.
Kristine Radford led a set and had numerous breakpoint chances at 3 all in the 2nd against martinez, the year she won Wimbledon.
Bryanne Stewart led Sanchez 3-0 and a point for 4-0 in their 3rd rnd match at the Aus Open
I think Evie was 2-2 in the 3rd against Venus at the 2003 French & 6 all in the 3rd against Capriati to lose 8-6.
And the ultimate was Nicole Provis’s match against Zvereva at the French in 88 in which in the semis she had a match point to reach the final to play Graf.

Anymore?????

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 23rd, 2003, 01:29 AM
Molik had a million:

2002:

Oz Open: Had 2 match pts against Panova leading 6-1 3-6, 5-3 (i think?)

Roland Garros: Led Loit 5-3 with a break in the final set, but lost it 7-5 :o

Wimbledon: Was 6-6 in the third against Pierce but lost 8-6.

azza
Dec 23rd, 2003, 01:34 AM
Pratt leading something like 6-3 5-1 againts Myskian this year only to lose

6-3 6-7 4-6 ::o

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 23rd, 2003, 01:36 AM
yer omg i remember dat, and she was leading sugiyama by a similar scoreline at the US Open :crying2:

AUSBOY
Dec 23rd, 2003, 10:41 AM
Kerry-Anne Guse led Amy Frazier 6-1 5-1 lost the 2nd set 6-7, then Kerry-Anne led 5-1 in the third and choked again! This was in Oklahoma, so Guse went down 1-6 7-6 7-6. This was the same year that Guse led Florencia Labat 4-1 40-15 in the 3rd set at the Aust Open and lost the set and match 6-4 in the 3rd.

Bryanne Stewart served for all 3 sets at the Aust Open up 5-4 in every set against Deja Bedanova and lost 7-5 4-6 7-5. Ellwood lost a heartbreaker against Emmanuelle Gagliardi 8-6 in the 3rd at the Aust Open after having 2 match points.

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 23rd, 2003, 10:44 AM
Stosur led 6-6 vs Davenport @ dis year wimbly :o :spit: