PDA

View Full Version : The WTA is best off if Anna ....

Volcana
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:21 AM
... what?

I personally don't feel Anna's current winlessness is all that good for the tour. OTOH, Would we ever hear about Amelie or Justine or Kim if Anna was a top ten player? (And won sometournaments, I mean.) And if Anna became #1 or won a GS title, the hype machine would go berserk. We might still get Venus and Jenn news, but I think the media would even stop following Martina.

What's best for the TOUR, where Anna's career is concerned? (Not Anna herself. Anna should definitely hang around. I'm discussing the near-term future of tennis.

thefreedesigner
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:51 AM
What's best for Anna vs what's best for the WTA?

WTA has been accused of promoting Anna's non-tennis assets as much as any of the media. What's that guy's name, Bart McGuire, I've heard him make noises to the effect of 'beautiful girls but butts on seats' which is of course true, but WTA have to expect that those beautiful girls will fulfill some other kind of criteria: ie winning events.

In monetary terms the WTA would like Anna have the results that Martina gets (it got the next best thing in Martina with the Sanex deal). You have a good point about possible success for Anna overshadowing other winners like Amelie and Justine.
However, Amelie and Justine's successes overshadow those of Shaughnessy, Farina Elia, and even further down the food chain. This will always happen.

In tennis terms the WTA doesn't need Anna to do diddly-squat 'cause there are plenty of fine fine tennis players. That's the freakshow element covered. There's still many many column inches coming out of the fact that Anna hasn't won anything. This isn't good publicity for the WTA, but then there is the adage that all publicity is good publicity.

Not sure if I've veered off-topic or not.

thefreedesigner
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Btw I voted for Anna to win 10+ titles but no GS.

Why? I'd love to see Anna win a GS, but let's take it this way. I've already seen one poster describe what Anna has done since her comeback as "amazing". A defeat to Anna Smashnova, Anne Kremer and every Top Ten player she's faced (hoping she can pull it out against Venus though!) is "amazing". I don't think so. Steady, solid, workmanlike, erratic all spring to mind. Amazing? No.

The hyperbole would be too much. If she wins 1+ GS then she deserves everything that she gets (praise wise I mean).

marshmellow
Feb 13th, 2002, 11:43 AM
ouch! the annamosity is so thick in this thread i cut myself trying to reply to ithttp://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/kao/cactus/base.gif...

for the near-term future of tennis? winning a slam would be nice. i think anna's good for tennis already right now. she's generated so much interest not only for herself but also for the game that it's great. but if she wins a slam then even better http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/otn/blobs/ukliam3.gif

btw, anna will win a slam ;) at least that way my vote gets fulfilled...

veryborednow
Feb 13th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Anna wins at least one GS title.

5 people voted for this choice ... pffff!! 5 !! That's a bit optimistic me thinks ...

carot
Feb 13th, 2002, 01:21 PM
VBN, this isn't a poll about what's realistic, but what's best for WTA if i'm correct. And what if i want to believe Anna can win a slam?

Look at it how you want, but Anna made from tennis a popular sport, and i mean popular concerning the masses. Yesterday i was at the antwerp tourni and it was the first day there weren't many seats left, why? Cos anna played. That was the only reason.

Is that positive for the WTA? Of course! Yes, some other players will be overshadowed by Anna's 'off court' success, but that's how life is.

Out of all those peops who started following tennis cos of Anna, a lot of them will learn to appreciate more than just anna's looks, and will start to get more into tennis and the other players.

Look at all these youngsters who start to take tennis lessons, just cos they wanna be a star like their fave Anna.

People who don't think this is something good for tennis are rather blinded. Probably jealous of Anna's success?

It all comes down to this. Real tennisfans will always find the news and stories about their faves, whether those players are successful or not. And Anna makes people who would never follow tennis, get into our fave sport, and that can only be positive.

My alltime fave is Daphne Vandezande, a belgian player who never got into the top 150 or so, and yet i managed to find info about her lol. So if you really want, you can always find the info you want about whoever your fave is. Do you follow your fave because you like her, or because you want everyone to like her?

Sam L
Feb 13th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Carot has a lot of good points :)

All I have to say is this... the tour will be better off if Anna does NOT retire and keep continuing playing for about another 10 years.

The tour will certainly be worse off if Anna retires NOW. You have no idea how hard it will be for some tournament directors in terms of promotions and ticket sales etc... The lower tier they are, the worse off they'll be (a good example is Auckland like early in the year). And certainly by NO MEANS is she a sideshow! :mad:

Bright Red
Feb 13th, 2002, 03:47 PM
I've always felt that Anna should just go away. I think carot makes good arguments for Anna, especially about her bringing new fans into the sport. But still, I remain skeptical.

Is she bringing in the right kind of fans?

I would imagine that most of her fans are testorone-laden, young men who have only one thing on their mind. Those fellows are usually rowdy and don't have a clue about the rules of the game nor do they understand spectator etiquette. They'll leave the match (after disrupting it for everyone else) and then go home to search the TV channels looking for the Doritos girl.

Philip
Feb 13th, 2002, 05:17 PM
I would imagine that most of her fans are testorone-laden, young men who have only one thing on their mind. Those fellows are usually rowdy and don't have a clue about the rules of the game nor do they understand spectator etiquette. They'll leave the match (after disrupting it for everyone else) and then go home to search the TV channels looking for the Doritos girl.

Anna is one of my favs... and i sure ain't that bad.. i think. :p

Ofcourse the tour would be worse if Anna left. She is one of the main attractions globally, including the top gunners such as the Williams', Hingis, Davenport ect.

Here in Britain tennis is not such a popular sport, excpet when Wimbledon comes around. The only players you can gaurentee that the majority of the ordianary public will know is the likes of Kournikova, Williams, for any of these player to go would just make the WTA even less popular and less known than it is now.

:rolleyes:

Volcana
Feb 13th, 2002, 11:53 PM
Somebody's gotta explain to me how Anna retiring would HELP the tour.
Fewer tiockets would be sold.
TV ratings would be lower.
Fewer column inches would appear in newspapers.
Fewer photographers would be around.

All this is good?

As for, 'the wrong kind of fans', hey, as long as they're this side of Indian Wells last year, or the crowd in the 99 RG final, I'm down with 'em. I still think if Anna wins a Slam we're all going to have to hide, but I'd like her around for another ten years or so. But she's really gotta f*ckin' WIN something, just to shut these people up!

disposablehero
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:04 AM
The amount of bashing Anna gets from a media that is supposed to be relatively neutral is absurd. As I was driving home, I heard a local radio sports show host ridiculing the attention Anna gets, then punctuating his opinion by pointing out that she lost to Venus.

How many players get ridiculed in the media for losing to Venus?

disposablehero
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Bright Red
I've always felt that Anna should just go away. I think carot makes good arguments for Anna, especially about her bringing new fans into the sport. But still, I remain skeptical.

Is she bringing in the right kind of fans?

Bright Red, if Anna can become the world's #8 ranked player as a teenager, who has the right to tell her to go away?

wongqks
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:20 AM
I agree to disposablehero. This arguement about Anna should go away from tennis is crazy, tennis benefit from having Anna also the vice versa. If Anna is not playing tennis and I mean good tennis, she will not be as famous as now, there are many many more gals more beautiful and had a more media-attracted face and body than Anna. So why do people tell her to go away when she is obviously an world class sportswomen?

LucasArg
Feb 14th, 2002, 01:41 AM
Volcana

How TV rating will be lower if Anna doesn't reach the rounds that TV shows???:rolleyes:

She is more succesfull for her model career than her tennis career, and that's sad:o

ajayares
Feb 14th, 2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by LucasArg
[
She is more succesfull for her model career than her tennis career, and that's sad:o [/B]

Oh really.. so can you just give me a run down on this successful modelling career Anna has???

Details please....

LucasArg
Feb 14th, 2002, 02:33 AM
Do you really mean it???? to describe it all:rolleyes:

ajayares
Feb 14th, 2002, 02:55 AM
Yeah.. becuase she is not a fu*king model.. so I think it is going to be very hard to give me a run down of her career..

Apart form Modeling some Omega watches (martina does the same thing aswell).. there has not been anything and before you say it, she does not model berlie bras either.. She might have been at a launch for them at Eastbourne in 2000 and her face on a bill board but she does not get on the cat walk and model them..
Sure she has done photo shoot's for magazines and now her yearly calendar.. but so have other players (magazine covers) so if you are assuming modeling is that.. then you should start calling all the other players models aswell..

CanadianBoy21
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:08 AM
Yes, But other players 'ALL' won a TITLE or more.
Anna HASN'T
Others HAVE
Anna HASN'T, NO TITLE, NONE, ZERO, that's why people are always on her case.

Bright Red
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by LucasArg
How TV rating will be lower if Anna doesn't reach the rounds that TV shows???:rolleyes:

Hadn't thought about it like that, LucasArg. But good point. She brings rowdy fans for a day. And I for one, have never seen her on TV (playing tennis, that is). Do people really think that she's bringing a lot of interest to the sport. Her benefit to the sport is marginal at best.

I concede that there maybe a lot of young Russians who are inspired by Anna. That might be good--provided they don't think they have to be blonde and blue-eyed to succeed at the sport. But for many of the non-Russian fans, I think interest in the sport takes a back seat to drooling over Anna's looks. That type of fan most likely won't expand his/her interest in the sport and pick up new faves unless, of course, the new fave is also drool material. The WTA doesn't need that.

DH, I have never had the opportunity to tell Anna to go away. She'd probably slap me, and I'd have to call up one of my peeps to open a can of w.a. on her.

ajayares
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Superhero
Yes, But other players 'ALL' won a TITLE or more.
Anna HASN'T
Others HAVE
Anna HASN'T, NO TITLE, NONE, ZERO, that's why people are always on her case.

Oh, they have ALL won titles have they...
Oh Anna is the only one who has not won a title in the history of the WTA tour :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

disposablehero
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:19 AM
You'd be lucky if she slapped you. The real danger you face is that she might call you onto the court. That would end badly for you.

Bright Red
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:29 AM
LOL @ DH.

How true. I criticize her game so much that if she were to beat me on the court, I don't think I'd live it down.

I'm pretty good at tennis, though. She'd have her work cut out for her.

Volcana
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:51 AM
The interesting thing is, the two most popular choices are the two least likely, statistically speaking. Most players, even very good ones, don't win GS titles. (Rosie Casals, Pam Shriver, Amanda Coetzer, May Jo Fernandez.) Anna probably won't win a GS title because 99% of players don't. (Actually, the percentage is a good deal worse than that.) OTOH, she's a good enough athlete to win a Tier V serving underhand. So she won't go 0-for-career.

And yet those are the two choices that most people think would do the tour the most good. Probably doesn't mean a thing.

Dawn Marie
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Anna has talent and loves the tennis sport... If she wants to play then she has the right. I don't think she should go away at all.

I just think she gets so much exposure and imho it hurting her game. I mean really who wants to be exposed 24/7 and all the while posess no titles? That would be tough to handle at times. Also having all this media surrounding her kinda will make it seem fake for when she does win something. We see her so much now.. so when she does win her titles are we going to be ready to see MORE? I am not ready for other players to get the back burner... on courts and media attention.. not just yet.

Venus will always be in the headlines but I like seeing more of Justine and Kim Clijsters. Also of course this is the media who will go outta control and it's not Anna's fault.

Martian Martin
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:15 PM
I know this was a few days ago you posted this but Bright Red, your post about Anna should just go away is one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen. Why the hell should Anna go away?!!!. She has a real love for the game, so just because a few people that only come to matches to watch her that don't really care about tennis, she should give up?!!

This myth about Anna's fans only being like this, has been proved so wrong even just by people on the board, because she has a lot of fans on this board, yes some are young, but it's a mix of both male and females, so it's not just males that support her.
What sort of fans should be going to tennis matches then? People like the snobs that we get at Wimbledon, where most of them are in their 50's and wouldn't know most of the tennis players if there life depended on it?!!

You say that you have never seen her on tv, playing tennis, well it shows how much of a tennis fan you are then.

veryborednow
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Carot - sorry I read the poll wrong :o

Bright Red
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Martin
I know this was a few days ago you posted this but Bright Red, your post about Anna should just go away is one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen. Why the hell should Anna go away?!!!. She has a real love for the game, so just because a few people that only come to matches to watch her that don't really care about tennis, she should give up?!!...

...You say that you have never seen her on tv, playing tennis, well it shows how much of a tennis fan you are then.

Martin

It can't be too ridiculous given that 16 other posters voted the same. I've stated my reasons for why she should go away. They are valid reasons. As baffled as you are about why I feel the way I do, I am equally baffled about your support for her.

As far as your second point goes, I watch a lot of tennis. I've been to many live matches, and I feel that I put in my dues as a tennis fan. It's just thatAnna has performed so poorly in the past, she has never lasted long enough to reach a televised match that I've watched.

What's the last match you saw her play in on TV?

Bright Red
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Martin
This myth about Anna's fans only being like this, has been proved so wrong even just by people on the board, because she has a lot of fans on this board, yes some are young, but it's a mix of both male and females, so it's not just males that support her.
What sort of fans should be going to tennis matches then? People like the snobs that we get at Wimbledon, where most of them are in their 50's and wouldn't know most of the tennis players if there life depended on it?!!

How you came up with this question is beyond me. FYI, I think that ALL types of people should attend matches. The more the merrier. This includes the young and the old, the rich, the poor, the smart, the dumb, the black, the white, the red and brown, the purple and yellow, but first I gotta(j/k). The only requirement I mentioned is that they not be rowdy and disruptive. I've seen with my own eyes, and have heard with my own ears the ruckus that some of Anna's fans cause at matches. They boo the opponent for no reason. They applaud the opponent's errors (when they even recognize one has occured), they even have been known to streak across the court.

Martian Martin
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Bright Red, I don't see why you are baffled about my support towards Anna, because that's who my favourite player is. I like her, you don't, we can beg to differ about that, that doesn't really matter and all comes down to personal choice.

The last match I saw Anna live on tv was against Amanda in Zurich at the end of last year. But we've only had two tournaments live since then here in Europe on Eurosport, one was the Chase Championships which Anna was only not in because of injury, and the other was the Australian Open, which we only got coverage of the night matches, and Anna's match should have been on at night, only the organisers know why they didn't put her against Justine on. But her match against Justine was shown on tape delay, as was her semi final match against Monica in Tokyo. So the reason why I've not seen Anna live this year, is just because we've not had a lot of live coverage of tennis full stop this year.

Yeah these rowdy fans, we don't want them in the game, but do you think Anna wants these people in the game either? Probably not, it's not as if she has chosen for them to come and see her. The streaking on the court thing, was only that one time, at Wimbledon wasn't it?. But these people don't just come to see Anna, they come and see other people, because Anna's not the only good looking player. I was at Wimbledon last year, when the hype about Babsi was completely over the top, and she had nothing to do with it, I felt so sorry for her, it was because she got a lot of attention from newspapers, so all the people you described came along to see Babsi and do all the things you said. These people aren't good for the game, but you can't say that it's all because of Anna these people go to see matches?

Bright Red
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Well, if she's your fave I guess you should support her. I'm sure she appreciates it.

I live in the US and so I don't see the same matches that you do. It sounds like you guys get more coverage than we do. Lucky you. But still, I've seen just about all of the top ten play on TV, and sometimes they play against a lower-ranked player. That lower-ranked player gets air time.

Well it's good we're on the same page about the rowdy fans, and I agree with you that Anna doesn't choose for them to come. However, I personally think that she enjoys all of her fans - even the rowdy ones. She would never ask them to not come to the matches, nor would she ask them to behave (not that they would listen). This is because she probably likes all of the attention. Who wouldn't? (btw, I was exaggerating about including the steaker in Anna's fan base. It was a one off occurance, to my knowledge)

Your point about Babsi at Wimbledon brings up the bigger issue regarding Anna. What is Anna doing out there? She can't be blamed for trying to self-promote because all of the players do it. It's the way she self-promotes that I take issue with. Again, this is just my opinion. But I think that she uses mostly sex and NOT tennis to self-promote. I'll beat you to the punch by saying that it would be very hard, if not impossible, for me to prove this. But that's what my gut feel tells me. I would hate for tennis to turn into some sort of beauty pageant. That's all.

Martian Martin
Feb 14th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Bright Red, I think the reason why you haven't seen Anna on tv, is because she hasn't played really in Grand Slams since last year's Australian Open, she missed the other 3 last year and only played one match in this year's. I've read before that you mainly see the American players, which is only right because that's what country's players you should be seeing, but American tv networks do concentrate on their country's players, and I will admit though that you probably only get coverage of the very top tournaments, a few tier 1's as well as the GS, and certainly in the last few years in the Grand Slams, Anna hasn't got as far as she could have, only really last year's Australian Open. But over the rest of this year, you will see Anna on tv, I guarantee that.

Anna can't pick and choose her fans, she can't turn round and say I don't want you to support me, the one thing about players, they can't choose who their fans are. I wouldn't say that Anna uses sex and not her tennis to self-promote, look at what she wears on court, she has never worn well let's say a lack of clothes in certain areas :rolleyes: , unlike players like Venus, with her outfit in last year's Aussie Open, and even Daniela's outfit in this year's, she has never worn anything like that, so on court she certainly doesn't use sex to self-promote. The one thing that Anna can't help is the fact that she's one of the best looking people in the world.

Bright Red
Feb 14th, 2002, 09:55 PM
No, Martin. American TV doesn't discriminate based on nationality. I've seen Hingis tons of times, Henin, Clijsters, Momo, and others. The difference between them and Anna is that THEY make the later rounds which are televised here in America. Anna may be good at doubles, but she doesn't manage to stir up any dust in singles.

You're entitled to your opinion about Anna being one of the best-looking people in the world. That's a matter of taste. I personally don't find her gorgeous, and I'd rank many people ahead of her including some of the tennis players who don't market themselves in that way.

disposablehero
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie
Anna has talent and loves the tennis sport... If she wants to play then she has the right. I don't think she should go away at all.

I just think she gets so much exposure and imho it hurting her game. I mean really who wants to be exposed 24/7 and all the while posess no titles? That would be tough to handle at times. Also having all this media surrounding her kinda will make it seem fake for when she does win something. We see her so much now.. so when she does win her titles are we going to be ready to see MORE? I am not ready for other players to get the back burner... on courts and media attention.. not just yet.

Venus will always be in the headlines but I like seeing more of Justine and Kim Clijsters. Also of course this is the media who will go outta control and it's not Anna's fault.

Are you serious??? Is this Dawn??? You figured it out. This is the only player the media makes fun of for losing to Venus. I even heard it on a local radio show that rarely talks about tennis. If Anna can win a title with the shit the media drops on her, that will really show something.

Kart
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:38 PM
OMG Anna gets a tough time !!!

IMHO it would be great for the tour if she won a GS, I think she's talented and great for the game :).

That's it.

i_like_tennis
Aug 6th, 2003, 10:24 PM
most of you guys are wrong...
coz i see Mrs. Pistolesi win 10 titles.....
so GO ANNA......:)

Ballbuster
Aug 6th, 2003, 10:40 PM
Good for the Tour if Anna wins a Title.....YES!

I like her and dislike her in an odd kind of way.

I guess its because of the very things she stands for.