PDA

View Full Version : US tennis coverage news!!!

joao
Feb 13th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Finally some good news for us who live in USA!!! I've found that at sanexwtatour.com!

ESPN And Oxygen Networks To Broadcast Select Sanex WTA Tour Events In 2002
St. Petersburg, Florida (February 12, 2002) - The Sanex WTA Tour announced the broadcast schedule for U.S. broadcasters ESPN and Oxygen for Tour events in 2002 bringing the excitement of women's professional tennis into U.S. homes from around the globe.
ESPN will be airing select matches from 12 Tour events this season including the season ending Sanex Championships from Munich, Germany. ESPN-covered events also include Scottsdale, AZ; Indian Wells, CA; Miami, FL; Amelia Island, FL; Charleston, SC; Berlin (Germany); Rome (Italy); Eastbourne (United Kingdom); Montreal (Canada); New Haven, CT; and Moscow (Russia).

ESPN kicked off its coverage of women's tennis this year with a live airing of the 2002 Australian Open singles final between World #1 and defending champion Jennifer Capriati and World #4 and former #1 Martina Hingis. Capriati became the first player in Open history to rally from match point at 5-1 in the second set to defeat Hingis. The match scored a 2.3 rating making it the second highest watched tennis match in ESPN's history. Last year's magical run by Capriati to the 2001 Australian Open title also garnered strong viewership for ESPN and was labeled by ESPN as an "Instant Classic." ESPN's rating for the Australian Open women's final has increased 52 percent over the past two years. ESPN is seen in 86 million U.S. homes while ESPN2 reaches 82.7 million U.S. households.

Oxygen is broadcasting the singles final of the Betty Barclay Cup on the red clay courts of Hamburg, Germany on Sunday, May 5. Broadcast time for the women's final is scheduled for 5:00-7:00 p.m. ET/PT (please see attached broadcast schedule for more information).

Founded in 1998 be Geraldine Laybourne, Marcy Carsey, Tom Werner, Caryn Mandabach, and Oprah Winfrey, Oxygen is the first network to dedicate a consistently scheduled block of TV programming, year round, to women's sports. Each week, Oxygen Sports showcases events that feature the world's top female athletes competing in their respective sports. In addition, the network's sports biography series "Sports Aside" gives a unique and up close look at some of today's most compelling female athletes.

"We are very excited to have commitments from ESPN and Oxygen to bring women's professional tennis to our strong U.S. fan base," said Sanex WTA Tour CEO Kevin Wulff. "Women's tennis has never been hotter than it is now. We have a tightly contested battle for the #1 World ranking between as many as five players and a crop of rising young stars that are positioning themselves to join the hunt. Couple that with an ever growing list of players known worldwide by their first names and I think fans that tune to ESPN and Oxygen will get a courtside seat to the best tennis in the world.

"In addition to treating our existing fans to more women's tennis coverage," added Wulff, "we also see a real opportunity to grow our fan base further by our relationships with ESPN and Oxygen."

Jordan.
Feb 13th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Yes!This is very good news!This year is gonna be packed with tennis!Thanks for the article!:)

moon
Feb 13th, 2002, 04:57 AM
thank goodness!

I was worried about whether we would be able to see the euro-clay season.

Plus it'll be great if I can see Venus win Hamburg on my birthday. :)

JCFan
Feb 13th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Thanks for that info. That's very good to hear. I wonder if Fox Sports will carry some tournaments soon. Or do they just do them later in the season, like in the fall?

essielewis
Feb 13th, 2002, 12:07 PM
The Oxygen network was to carry Sunday's final of the Gaz. I was very disappointed that Jelena couldn't play. I think it would have been a great match. I was looking forward to it. Instead, they showed a bike race.

Nice to hear that Oxygen and ESPN will carry several matches this year. ESPN used to ignore the ladies.:wavey:

Brian Stewart
Feb 13th, 2002, 01:03 PM
It's nice to see some of the non-US big events get some regular cable coverage. It's especially weird that we haven't gotten coverage of the Canadian Open, the biggest of the summer hardcourt events.

I'm guessing that the missing fall events are either still pending, or earmarked for PPV again.