PDA

View Full Version : Sonya Jeyaseelan

PointBlank
Dec 16th, 2003, 01:18 AM
Is she retiring?

Randy H
Dec 16th, 2003, 02:16 PM
As far as I know, Sonya won't be retiring. Her doubles ranking is still around the 100 mark, so hopefully she can be a bit more consistent this season and push it up a notch. I'd also like to see her concentrate a bit more on singles. She had some nice wins indoors this past fall and showed that she can still play singles with top 100 players so I think she should keep at it and try and bring her ranking up at least where she can get into slam qualifying.

I'd really like to see Sonya and Melanie make it into the doubles for the Olympics but I'm not sure whether Melanie would be eligible or not. She hasn't played Fed Cup but that doesn't mean she didn't make herself available to play either so who knows. It'd be nice to see them there. :)

patricktav2003
Dec 16th, 2003, 04:07 PM
I really want SONYA to crak the top 200 againt!!
she is a better example for the younger tennis canadians then MO

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 16th, 2003, 11:41 PM
lol definitely ;)

Sonya deserves the best!

KoOlMaNsEaN
Dec 17th, 2003, 02:33 AM
I dont think Sonya will retire for a couple of years. Her doubles is working :) I hope she goes in the top 30-25! GO SONYA! :devil:

~CANUCK~
Dec 17th, 2003, 04:31 PM
lets hope she can find her way in singles again

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 17th, 2003, 04:58 PM
She has the talent and the will to do it! :D

Bероника
Dec 22nd, 2003, 02:59 PM
Go Sonya!!!
Good luck in 2004!!!!

JonBcn
Jan 5th, 2004, 07:10 AM
It would be a shame to see her go, she's very entertaining to watch. Has she said something about her retirement, or is it just speculation?

Randy H
Jan 5th, 2004, 03:52 PM
It would be a shame to see her go, she's very entertaining to watch. Has she said something about her retirement, or is it just speculation?

Haven't heard anything about her considering retirement thankfully, I just hope that she can maintain a good doubles ranking and get some more chances to pick up more singles points. She had a few decent results especially indoors in qualifying for tour events but with her ranking out of the top 300 those chances are often few and far between. She obviously still has the talent but she has always been the sort to need the motivation of a big match to bring out the best in her so I hope she will keep plugging away and push her ranking up enough to start playing slam qualifying again. :)

Randy H
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:16 AM
Sonya's season officially kicked off today in the doubles competition of the Australian Open - Great news, as she and partner Jelena Kostanic (so far unbeaten in doubles this year!) got off to a good start by defeating Mara Santangelo and Katalin Marosi 7-6, 6-4, rebounding from triple set point down in the first set and a break down in the second. Well done :yeah:

Next up will be the winner between Cara Black/Rennae Stubbs, seeded 5th, of Zi Yan/Jie Zheng, who are currently leading in the opening set.

Sonya is also on the committment list for the Tokyo Pan Pacific Open the week after the Australian Open. She is quite low on the alternate list, but the field often sees a generally weak field, which can result in a few lower ranked players sneak in so hopefully Sonya will be able to do so. By the looks of things, her focus right now is still on maintaining her doubles ranking and hoping to get into singles qualifying at some of these events if possible but we will see how things go as the year progresses and whether or not she will head over to some challenger events. :)

Bероника
Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:05 PM
Go Sonya!!!

¤CharlDa¤
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:50 PM
Come on Sonya! We wnat some upsets!

polishprodigy
Jan 24th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Jeyaseelan/Kostanic lost to Zi/Zheng, who seem to be playing very well. I think the score was 7-5 6-2

Bероника
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Oh no!

¤CharlDa¤
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Those chinese player really seem to be great in doubles! I remember in Quebec city, they were completely dominant!

justinDisco
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Did Sonya Jeyaseelan get married? I noticed her name has changed to Sonya Neffa in the latest WTA rankings. Any info would be appreciated!

Randy H
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:47 PM
I was wondering the same thing actually - Maybe that would explain why she's only played 1 event so far this year, possibly marriage and honeymoon time? :eek:

Anyway, congratulations to her if she did in fact get married ;) Maybe we will find out some more news about that soon :)

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 21st, 2004, 06:02 PM
Sonya married! That's great for her!

justinDisco
Feb 27th, 2004, 11:10 PM
so what's up with Sonya? she hasn't played much this year. anyone know if she's committed to any tournaments? i hope so!

Randy H
Mar 11th, 2004, 01:36 PM
According to the committment lists, Sonya is currently entered for Amelia Island - She's way down on that list though, so chances are quite slim for her to make qualifying with her ranking but the tournament has been known in the past to have a few lower ranked players sneak in so maybe she'll get lucky. On the other hand, maybe there is a chance for a wildcard given her past there? Let's hope so!

Also, according to Tennis Canada's website Sonya has committed to the 10,000 Saskatchewan Provincial Open, where I would assume she will be the top seed. Perhaps she wants to get some money close to home and then head down South to hopefully play some tournaments that will give her ranking points.

She has a lot of doubles points to defend in Miami so I certainly hope she makes the trip down there and I believe play is currently underway right now for the tournament's pre-qualifying tournament where Sonya has competed before. It would be nice to see her give that a go and see if she can get herself a qualifying wildcard but I suspect that won't be the case if she is in fact playing this tournament in Saskatchewan. :sad:

Anyway, hopefully she will show up *somewhere* so we can start cheering for her again!

CJK
Jul 15th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Could she enter Montreal? She played Toronto last year.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 6th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Sonya has officially retired. She said in an interview that "When I imagined not having to deal with life on the tour, it almost sounded surreal. That's when I knew it was time to stop."

I think she's semi-coaching Maggie Malleva on occasion, who is also her best friend on tour, but she has no plans to continue playing on tour herself.

She's currently playing some tournaments on the Canadian national circuit and hasn't lost a match yet. She recently beat Natalie Cretu (ranked around #1000) 6-1 3-6 6-3 to win a tournament on that circuit.

MetroCan
Aug 6th, 2004, 09:44 PM
I still rememberd her upset over Mary Pierce since it was kind of a big news a few years back on Sports Center.

GoldenSlam
Aug 26th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Hi well i am new here and i do know that she has been playing some tournament in Saskatchewan because i am from there and she won them
I was surprised to see her name from TC website too:).
But her results have been not impressive, she does win, but not convincingly.
Hope she can play doubles in Vancouver someday.

Sue Lyon
Sep 13th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Bye Sonya!

*Jool*
Nov 6th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Sonya :sad: I miss you ...

bovina_forever
Nov 7th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Sonya :sad: I miss you ...
Yes wi miss her tennis will not be the same with out you.

Boss monkey
Aug 13th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Jeyaseelan out on her own
By GEORGE GROSS -- Corporate Sports Editor

When it's time for little chicks to leave the nest, they're normally pushed out.

In Sonya Jeyaseelan's case, she was slapped out.

It was by her domineering father, Reggie, who used to push her too hard and occasionally even slapped her when she missed a key point or lost a tennis match.

"Those things happened a few years ago," said the amiable Jeyaseelan, who turned 24 a few days ago. "That's why at age 18 I decided to go it alone, without my father as coach and manager. I know he and my mother love me, and I love them, but I decided to do my own thing."

Jeyaseelan made headlines last year when she beat highly ranked Venus Williams of the U.S. 6-4, 7-6 in a second-round match at the $520,000 Bausch & Lomb Championships at Amelia Island, Fla.

But then things turned sour.

An inferiority complex and a foot injury led to 10 first-round losses.

Even though some of the losses were close matches, she lost the matches nonetheless.

"At that time I got really worried," she said yesterday. "I didn't feel good about myself and that's when you can really get hurt. I decided to stop after the 1999 U.S. Open. I put my racquets in the closet, went figure skating, cycling and did some yoga for a couple of months. I wanted to get away from tennis.

"I had to make a decision whether to stop altogether or continue playing in Toronto. The thoughts of giving it all up kept creeping into my mind. I was 23 and had been playing competitively for 10 years. When things don't go right, everything seems bleak."

She bounced back when she went to Europe to visit her friend, the sister of German player Tommy Haas. She watched him play against ex-Canadian Greg Rusedski on centre court in Munich. It was an exciting match, the crowd was wildly enthusiastic and Jeyaseelan reached a decision.

"I came to the conclusion that I wanted to stay in the game," she said. "I wanted to play on centre court and beat some top players. In order to do that, I knew I had to work hard. I returned to Toronto only to realize it was impossible to find a club where I could train four hours a day. So, I went to Florida, but decided not to go back to Nick Bolletieri's tennis school."

She had been tutored by Bolletieri as a teenager.

"Nick has a large school and I wanted somebody who could spend more time with me. So, I joined the International Tennis Academy in Delray Beach and asked Allan Ma to coach me. He agreed, even though I was ranked 150th on the computer. I trained hard with him in November and December, telling myself that I would give it a year to practise daily for four hours on the court and work for two hours on my physical fitness."

Jeyaseelan claims to be in the best shape of her life, even though she's only 5-foot-2 and weighs just 120 pounds soaking wet. She may lack size, but she can whip giants with dedication and determination.

The hard work paid off in last January's Australian Open, where she won five consecutive matches -- three qualifiers, as well as first- and second-round matches -- and barely missed advancing to the fourth round.

"After I beat Nathalie Tauziat of France (7-6, 6-4), who was a finalist in the 1998 Wimbledon tournament, I had a chance to beat Jana Kandarr of Germany and move to the round of 16. But I blew it. Still, because of the win over Tauziat, I began believing in myself. Coach Ma has done wonders for me. He is my first coach since I left my dad five years ago.

"I still love my dad and I don't mind him coming to see me play. In fact, I enjoy it when he and my mom come to a tournament in which I play well. But I'll continue making all my own decisions. My parents keep telling me now they don't want to see me unhappy. They also are aware that I have never borrowed any money from them and that I'm independent, earning close to $100,000 US a year.

"I understand my folks, though. I also understand their attitude wanting to do everything for me ... their way. It's part of their Sri Lankan culture, but I opted for Canadian culture. I want to make my own decisions and that won't change."

Jeyaseelan is off to Europe next week to compete in spring tournaments, the French Open and Wimbledon.

After that it's off to Sydney and the Olympics in September with secret hopes for a medal.

It all proves that now that she's been out of the nest for five years, she certainly has learned how to fly on her own.

joeytaylor9
Aug 13th, 2005, 11:46 PM
thank you, interesting article, but i thought it would reveal the story of her abuse like the Maureen Drake story, but it was still a great article to read, thank you

*Jool*
Jul 3rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
:wavey:

I forgot about this place and just discovered the article :o

so, I'd like to know more about Sonya - joetaylor9 said she 's been abused :awww:
etc

I also am interested in pics if someone could provide me some pics that would be great (I can't find a lot of them on the web )

thx in advance if someone can help
I :hearts: Sonya and miss her a lot

¤CharlDa¤
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Sonya's father really was abusive, like most of the tennis fathers. He was aggressive with her, wanted her to play a lot and to become famous and rich. One day she just said: stop it dad, im gone.

*Jool*
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:55 PM
oh ok , thx Chada ;)
I thought about worst things

¤CharlDa¤
Jul 7th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Well it might be worst. But that's what I know. She was actually interviewed in the book Venus Envy about it.

PointBlank
Jul 18th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Any news on her recently?

myxomatosis
Jul 23rd, 2006, 02:24 PM
Basset in GM has posted that Sonya is dating Oliver Marach from the ATP.
A younger man. :drool: :hehehe:

¤CharlDa¤
Jul 23rd, 2006, 04:40 PM
And here is a pic of him, not the most flattering, i must admit.

http://www.territoriodigital.com/Notas/Noticias/2002/05/30/30ultima02.jpg

*Jool*
Jul 23rd, 2006, 04:51 PM
as long as she's happy :D

myxomatosis
Jul 23rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
There must be a better picture than that somewhere :lol:

*Jool*
Mar 27th, 2008, 08:59 PM
:wavey:
any news of Sonya in the last couple of years? lol