PDA

View Full Version : Interesting: If Venus gets to #1 soon, she will not have the best slam results!

evadafan
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Just thought this was interesting, considering she has a first round and quartefinal showing in the two slams that she didn't win, while Jen has two semi showings. This is funny, especially after all of the hoopla about rankings last year.

Of course it will be nice to have a good competitive race for #1, especially with Hingis soon entering the mix again.

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Geezus, why are you stirring up this crap again? Everyone here knows that jen deserves her ranking, just like Venus will deserve it when she gets it.

You could also bring up that jenn only won three of her tournaments in 2001 while Venus won six and defeated jen three times so whatever.

The point is is that whoever reaches number one deserves, even martina when she had it.

Volcana
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:43 PM
So if she gets to #1 before the French, her chances of keeping it, even if she doesn't win Wimbledon, are huge. Cause she adds all her RG points. If Jenn doesn't win Roland Garros, and Venus makes the semis there, even making the Wimbledon semis would probably be enough to keep #1. If Jenn doesn't win Wimbledon. Of course, should Venus win RG or WB, she'll have a lock on it.

So what you're saying is that if Venus gets to #1 soon, she'll keep it quite a while.

Cool! :wavey:

Infiniti2001
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:43 PM
WOW!!!! Are you already setting up your defenses for when Venus becomes #1??? :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Great signature Infiniti! Venus is a well rounded young woman who knows what she wants in life and goes for it.

And no, no one who has the number one ranking needs a defense(which was my point).

Adrian
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Once we get to Wimbledon, Martina changes that mix completely :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Celeste
Feb 13th, 2002, 12:12 AM
She may not have the best Slam record, but it's pretty darn close. It's not like she has no Slams over the last 12 months!

Honestly, what would be the scenario where the No. 1 catches no flack? I mean, Steffi in 1988 during her Grand Slam Year got tossed in the Virginia Slims (now Chase) by Pam Shriver, and lost to Gaby a couple of times on clay in French Open warm-ups, though she defeated Gaby 6-3, 7-6 in the semis of the French. At least the two main contenders right now have multiple Slam titles under their belt in the last 12 months. What do you people want???? :D

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 13th, 2002, 12:54 AM
Celeste-

I think the heathens won't be satisfied until the number one and two players end up mud wrestling in thongs at some WWF stadium event.

Bright Red
Feb 13th, 2002, 02:53 AM
I am one of the people who will view the #1 rank position as being different with Venus in it.

It would be naive to think that all of the sportscasters, tennis players, and fans just want to give "flack" to Hingis or Lindsay for being in the top spot.

Venus is widely considered the best player in the world. So when and if she reaches #1, everything will once again make sense. Because to us, only then will the #1 player also be the best player.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Feb 13th, 2002, 02:55 AM
Cybelle:

Surely you know this thread is a response to the thread that Capriati needs to "validate" her #1 ranking by defeating Venus (to which I pointed out that Venus has lost every time she's played Jeyaseelan or Schwartz, so I guess Venus would need to validate the #1 ranking too).

I won't be satisfied until Dementieva gets the #1 ranking. I guess I won't be satisfied any time soon. :)

--Ted

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 13th, 2002, 02:56 AM
Amen to that Red! You hit it on the head:bounce:

Bright Red
Feb 13th, 2002, 03:16 AM
ty, cybelle.

Dawn Marie
Feb 13th, 2002, 03:27 AM
EVADAFAN'S topic is sensless and is silly.

The topic CLEARLY states that Venus won't have the best slam RESULTS.. the word RESULTS IS PLURAL here? Uh Excuse me but only ONE SINGUALR slam has been played so far this year. Also Silly thing .. Venus WON 2 slamS in the past 1year. It hasn't not been lmore than 1 year yet. SO what the hell is the post talking about?

Jennifer is 0/4 against Venus
Jennifer won 2 slams in the past year.
Venus won 2 slams in the past year.
Venus is 4/0 against Jennifer
Venus won 6 tourneys last year. Don't you realize Evadavan that SLAMS are not the only thing that is counted in tennis in a calender year??

Jennifer deserves the top spot and when Venus gets it she will too.

Sorry Evadavfan but this topic makes not one bit of sense. Not when Venus has CLEARLY won two slams and 6 tournaments last year. I mean just ask Martina .. one does not need to win slams to be #1 in the WTA world.:)

evadafan
Feb 13th, 2002, 04:07 AM
Dawn Marie and others,

I wasn't saying Venus won't deserve her ranking once she gets there, only that is funny how the rankings are working yet again this year. If Venus earns the points and Jen doesn't (even from not playing), then Venus has earned #1.

And I must agree that the mix changes totally after Martina earns loads of points at Wimbledon.

It's shaping up to be an interesting season!!!!

joao
Feb 13th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Rankings are based on 52 weeks of play. And if you look at the records, venus deserves already be #1 in the world! In the past 12 months, venus entered 13 tournaments and won 8 of them, including 2 slams! What do you have to do to be #1...... GEEEEEEZ! Hopefully, this will be over after Antwerp!!!:bounce:

Dawn Marie
Feb 13th, 2002, 04:16 AM
Oh ok, I misread you Evadavfan, sorry about that. I thought you were attacking Venus. My apologies.. I tend to fly off the handle when it comes to my favorite. Especially now that Venus is so close to the #1 ranking... I am a little sensitive.:)

please forgive my reply..:sad: