PDA

View Full Version : The Clijesters Equation: Sister Power!

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 12th, 2002, 11:20 PM
Ok, now that Elke is on the tour we have a new sister team to cheer on. I like kim and I hope her sister is just as lovely. Now I want to know how people will treat them when they end up meeting head to head. Will they get the same flack as the williams sisters?

I can't wait and see how the media treats them.

RockSteady
Feb 12th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Not at all. Serena is as good as Venus. Elke is far, far, far, far away from Kim's ability.

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 12th, 2002, 11:25 PM
Lets not sell Elke short, I mean it is her first year on the tour. She has room and time to grow and improve. How can she not with Kim as big sis?

Also its not far from unreasonable that they will meet in a first round or maybe a second round, right?

Has anyone found out how they will handle that?

disposablehero
Feb 13th, 2002, 12:45 AM
How will they handle it? Presumably by Kim knocking Elke silly. Top 30 would be a VERY VERY ambitious career goal for Elke.

DutchieGirl
Feb 13th, 2002, 01:34 AM
Elke's had a few injuries already, which doesn't bode well for the future. I think if Kim and Elke did meet, Kim would win easily at the moment, but depending on how Elke does on the tour, she might eventually beat Kim.

angele87
Feb 13th, 2002, 02:15 AM
Yeah I agree, Kim would just blow Elke away right now and I don't really see Elke ever beeing as god as Kim but if ever she was and they met in a grand slam final or something I don't think it would get the same kind of attention as Venus vs. Serena because like with Serena and Venus there's always some kind of contreversy involved... they never seem to play at their maximum against each other... and there's always talk of Richard fixing the match but you would never get such accusations againt Leo!!

Bright Red
Feb 13th, 2002, 03:42 AM
It would honestly surprise me if the Clisters Sisters get any slack at all. I am confident that they will be praised--especially in Belgium. Leo will probably be praised for doing a wonderful job raising two professional tennis players. And all of the accolades that the Clisters deserve will be given, and given abundantly. That would make me happy, because it's a wonderful accomplishment for their family and their country.

I believe that most of the "flack" (as you call it) that the Williams Sisters get is a result of something that is out of their control (that's just my honest opinion). Too bad for them, though, because goodness knows they deserve accolades/praise too.

Jakeev
Feb 13th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Well, I was kind of impressed by Elke's first-round scores even if she lost in straight sets in her first pro match.

She could have went out 6-2, 6-0 but by what the scores indicate she put up a big fight.

Hagar
Feb 13th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Lei (nickname for Leo) actually did not raise his daughters to become tennisplayers. It is what happened but he has always stressed that it is OK no matter what they do. And when people were so much talking about Kim he has often said that he also has another daughter.
Kim and Elke play tennis because they want to but if tomorrow they hang their racket in the tree, Lei won't give a damn about it. And that's a healthy spirit.

Jakeev
Feb 13th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Damn if more tennis fathers could be like or could have been like Clijsters, Karoli Seles or Wink Davenport.....

Bright Red
Feb 13th, 2002, 11:09 PM
Well, if that's the case Hagar, then perhaps Lei doesn't deserve as much credit for his daughters' success as I had given him.

OTOH, Richard Williams deserves tons of credit for what he's done for the Williams Sisters. He is very active in their lives and they appreciate it. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to put in the hours Richard has. Many fathers are probably unwilling or unable to do so. He's made a wonderful contribution to the sport!

Go Richard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!