PDA

View Full Version : Volocana and others, I'm not a "flame thrower"

HAIL-VENUS
Feb 12th, 2002, 08:44 PM
I decided to delete the thread because it is a bit too "in your face", but I get tired of Williams bashers thinking that they're fooling somebody by trying to cover up their simple prejudices by unwarranted accusations. I don't know anything about the journalist who wrote the article, but there were a lot of things that I agreed with in reference to the response that the Williams get. People are always talking about how Venus and Serena act unappreciative towards their colleagues, but nobody ever says how their colleagues treat them and why. Anyway, I deleted the thread because things could get very ugly around here.

ASV
Feb 12th, 2002, 08:51 PM
:confused:...I missed something...AGAIN!

Bright Red
Feb 12th, 2002, 08:57 PM
I respect your decision to delete the thread, Hail-Venus; and I think it's a shame that we are always constrained by a few imbeciles running around here ready to make things ugly.

The Williamses will always be falsely accused. As pathetic as John McEnroe behaves, even he feels safe enough to make such accusations (he's one of the few people in the world that I don't know and actually almost hate). And while most of the stars have to endure it to some extent, I think that the Sisters get a disproportionate share of it.

RockSteady
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:25 PM
The grass is always greener.

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Don't sweat the irrational haters. They are not worth anyone's time or patience because they base their opinions on inaccuracies, rumors, and falsehoods. All i can do is :wavey:
their butts goodbye.:p

Volcana
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:37 PM
HAIL-VENUS: I didn't think there was anything wrong with your thread. And I agreed with most of what the author of thge article said. But we've all seen this fight. It could have been short and mean or nasty and ugly, but very few people would have learned anything. Not because we're closed-minded as a group, but because we've had ample opportunity to discuss the issue.

Remember, over the last five years Internet/WTA fans have probably read more advanced theory on race relations than 99% of the population. I've seen everyone from Cornel West to Henry Loius Gates to Lyndon Johnson quoted here. In many ways, the discussion about race that many Americans have no interest in having, has occurred. In these seemingly endless flame wars. Think back to 1997. The anti-Williams tone was much more direct, much more dismissive, and much more violent. And many a person was challenged to prove their views weren't racially motivated. Sometimes they were. Sometimes not. But we all got to examine the arguements. We all got to hear what the other side had to say. And you'll notice, most of the extreme voices have been silent. And, IMHO, the criticism you see of Venus now focuses on tennis. Well, 90%. But way better than 1997.

Things are a lot better. They are enough better that I for one, have decided that I could use a chance to chillout. Anyone who hasn't learned a lot about race by following the WTA the last five years can't learn. I'm not advocating a policy of non-confrontation. I'm just actively trying not to provoke anything. The article made fine points, but they are arguements that have been done to death on the old WTA board.

I just don't see any reason to go through that again.

Those of us willing to re-think the issue (or think about it for the first time), have been given more than enough to bend our minds around in the last five years. More won't help. Not right now.

Thank you for removing that thread. All it would have accomplished would have been to give the ankle-biters a chance to start another fight. Screw them. Everybody can see what they are. I say sit back, enjoy the tennis, and let anyone who's mind is too closed to let a new thought in chase their tails. A few people, I skip any thread they start. In any event, even if someone says something I find unalterably stupid or inexcusably cruel, I'm trying to put myself on a one smart-assed remark limit. Beyond that, if the admins don't have a problem, I say leave 'em be.

moon
Feb 13th, 2002, 03:10 AM
:kiss: to Hail-Venus

Hang tough girl!

Linton
Feb 13th, 2002, 03:49 AM
yeah hang ten

Dawn Marie
Feb 13th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Hail-Venus I too am glad you deleted that thread, and I think Volcana summed everything up quite nicely.:)

If you ever need to talk don't hesitate to get in touch with me. I find sometimes the best way to handle it is to have a friend who can get you away for a few minutes..:)

just ask Gumbycat he USUALLY calms me down:)

TeeRexx
Feb 13th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Volcana - Very impressive thread. I appreciated your post very much.

Adrian
Feb 13th, 2002, 06:59 AM
ahh..defending the indefensible, some of you have it down to a fine art, shame it is nothing to be proud of.