PDA

View Full Version : First WC awarded to Eden Marama

spiceboy
Dec 10th, 2003, 05:08 PM
http://onesport.nzoom.com/sport_detail/0,1278,241978-2-49,00.html

New era for New Zealand tennis

By David Long

The giving of a wildcard spot to Eden Marama for the ASB Classic marks the start of a new era in women's tennis for New Zealand.

Shelly Stephens, Ilke Gers and Leanne Baker all have higher world rankings than Marama, but after a number of seasons where the three of them have failed to significantly move up the rankings, tournament director Richard Palmer has decided to look to the future and pick the highly promising Marama as the first wildcard spot to be announced.

"I think we've got to seriously look at the next generation," Palmer told nzoom.com. "It is a signal in that sense. We've only announced one and there's still another one and all the qualifying ones as well.

"I think it's time to introduce some new blood into that main draw and she's the obvious candidate because of what she's done this year. So it's time for one of the younger brigade to have a go."

There is one other wildcard spot for the main draw of the ASB Classic and four in the qualifying tournament that takes place a couple of days before the main competition, but the decision to announce Marama as a wildcard entrant so early is just reward for her after an excellent year.

"She's actually first New Zealand woman since 1999 to win a title and she actually won two of them this year and was in two other semis," Palmer said. "They were only $US10,000 events but she's actually gone in there and won it.

"She's started on the women's circuit about five months ago and has already got her ranking to about 500 and with her sister she's won four doubles titles, so she's actually someone who has got a winning habit."

Palmer considered Eden Marama and her elder sister, Paula, for wildcard spots this year but they chose to stay in their Paris base during the time of the tournament.

But next year Marama's participation will be watched with a great deal of interest, as she has been one of the most talked about figures on the New Zealand tennis circuit for a while.

Despite this, not many people have actually seen her play, but Palmer is one of those and he was very impressed with what he saw.

"I saw her at the US Open when I was doing my usual recruiting and she played the 11th seed who was very good. She lost, but showed glimpses of what she was capable of.

"She's got a very big serve and she also hits the ball very hard, so she's an aggressive player."

As for the other wildcard spots, Palmer said no date has been set for further announcements.

"We haven't put a time frame on it, but it will be closer to the tournament because there are other things still to be taken into consideration.

"We still look at the local events although we're not going to decide wildcards solely on local events," he continued. "We've been looking at tournaments that these girls have been in for the last six to eight months.

"You've got to look at the whole mix of what these people have done and you also have to look to the future to a certain extent.

"Also you've got to look at public appeal and media appeal.

"At qualifying this year we are probably going to have 10 to a dozen players in the top 100 and you'll have to be in the top 150 to even get into it, so there's actually none of our girls on their rankings within sight of it.

Source: nzoom

Randy H
Dec 10th, 2003, 05:55 PM
smart choice, very happy for Eden :)

she really deserves this wildcard. second wildcard should go to either Shelley or Ilke.

Martian KC
Dec 10th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Well, it was predictable. Eden deserves it.

AUSBOY
Dec 10th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Ilke deserves the 2nd wildcard.

She's never played in the main draw at Auckland but in the Qualifying she has always performed above her abilities. This year she beat Claudine Schaul. The year before she pushed Rodionova to 3 sets. She also qualified for a WTA event pushing Tanasugarn to 3 sets!

Qualifying wildcards should go to Shelley Stephens, Leanne Baker, Paula Marama and Markovic.

Wojtek
Dec 12th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Eden :banana:

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 12th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Gers better get a WC :p

Lindsayfan
Dec 12th, 2003, 08:14 PM
how old she is?

Wojtek
Dec 13th, 2003, 07:56 AM
how old she is?

She is 17.

polishprodigy
Dec 25th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Eden :)

Rothes
Dec 26th, 2003, 03:21 AM
Well Eden, I have noticed your name alot in Challengers, Here is your big chance to preform well! Good Luck.

Glenn
Dec 26th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Eden! :D
She's one of my favorite juniors, now do well on the pro tour too Eden!

Kiwi_Boy
Dec 27th, 2003, 09:44 PM
YAY for New Zealand tennis....could this be a sign....no I wont get TOO optimistic. NZ tennis is still in its infancy and obviously has a long way to go, but I dream that one day we can be great in the sport of tennis as we are in most others.

She deserves it, and all I can do is HOPE she does well, I think she may be on the way up and should do better than last year, yet im not expecting miracles.

GO EDEN! :bounce:

Dymension
Dec 28th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Congrats Eden :)

Leanne should get the other WC, after she won the residentials. Qualifying WC's should go to - Stephens, Gers, Erakovic and Paula Marama :)

Almalyk
Dec 29th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Dianne has been playing really well in the states and lost narrowly to stephens at NZ residentials recently. surely she has a good chance for a wildcard into the qualifying round as well!