PDA

View Full Version : Participants For AO Wildcard Playoff (UPDATED: Draw added!!!)

TS
Dec 8th, 2003, 05:04 AM
According to TA these are the 16 girls that will participate in the WC playoff (last weeks rankings in brackets)

Evie Dominikovic (136)
Christina Wheeler (164)
Samantha Stosur (166)
Lauren Breadmore (276)
Monique Adamczak (256)
Casey Dellacqua (274)
Bryanne Stewart (320)
Mireille Dittmann (342)
Jaslyn Hewitt (466)
Gabrielle Baker (477)
Lauren Cheung (544)
Amanda Grahame :eek: (562)
Sophie Ferguson (622)
Tiffany Welford (709)
Adriana Szili (733) :lol: :rolleyes:
Christina Horiatopoulos (1033)

No Trudi Musgrave obviously, because she already won hers :)

Amanda's back! Must say it's surprising she didn't play the challenger to get some match practice in...how can she expect to perform here? OK, a couple of puzzling inclusions are Welford and Szili (unless they got in on their own rank, but there are heaps of girls above them not here!). I can understand Horiatopoulos being invited, because of her injury and the fact she's never had the opportunity to even qualify for AO.

So did the first 12 get direct entry? Were the next 4 wildcards? Or the final 2 only? (LOL if Szili was given a WC here)
Where is McShea? Sewell? Van Elden? Cupac? Watson? I think Dubravka's back injury is preventing her from taking part, because I can't see why Welford or Szili would take her place...also, no Olivia Lukaszewicz or Daniela Dominikovic.

Here is the article from TA

AO Training Camp
Aussie players join forces before Summer Circuit

By Mark Macgugan

When Nicole Pratt defeated Argentina’s Paola Suarez to reach a career-best fourth round at the 2003 Australian Open, she had little doubt as to the reasons for her success. The hard working 29-year-old was quick to point to the previous December’s inaugural Australian Open Training Camp as a catalyst for the plethora of Australians achieving best-ever results at the Open.

"Having the best players in Australia come together, it’s a belief," she reasoned. "People out there are saying, ‘We believe in you, we’re going to give you this opportunity so you can be in the best possible shape you can be in going into the Australian summer.’ Things like that really make a difference."

That ‘difference’ can be measured in different ways. Statistically-minded individuals might point to the incredible 11 Australians who advanced through to the second round of the Open as a mark of the camp’s success. Or to the six that went on to the third round, or the further three, including Pratt, who went all the way to the round of 16.

On the other hand, fans of late night TV-style infomercials might be more inclined to be persuaded by first hand testimonials, like this one from Peter Luczak, 24, of Victoria:

"The camp was a brilliant idea…ten days straight of training every day, four hours a day – fitness, workouts. I think it helped us hugely. Other guys had taken time off, from Europe and South America and the US…(and) we were just training every day in the heat and it helped."

Or this, from Jaymon Crabb, 25, of Western Australia, who says the camp gave him a psychological edge over his opponents:

"I’ve been here, training…They’re over there in freezing conditions, hitting indoors. Swirly wind here, hitting on the courts for ten days before we started playing. So it’s good to have that advantage."

Or even more praise from Nicole Pratt, 29, of Queensland:

"I think everybody got a level of confidence out of that and has taken it into the summer. I know all the younger boys have been having really good results. You’re starting to see it with the women as well…We’ve done the hard work; it’s just a matter of getting out here and performing."

Unlike some infomercials, these testimonials haven’t come from bad actors paid to step in and read an auto-cue. They’re real life success stories. Pratt reached the fourth round of Australian Open 2003 before bowing out to Venus Williams – while both Crabb and Luczak made the round of 32 – comfortably the best results of their respective careers.

And so it is that, following the resounding success of the 2002 product, the Australian Open Training Camp will return in 2003, with all the features that made last year’s version so great, plus an exciting new addition to the program; the chance for one lucky male and one lucky female to win a Main Draw Wildcard into Australian Open 2004.

Hosted once again by former World No.7 Peter McNamara at Melbourne Park, home of the Australian Open, some of Australia’s brightest young players have clamoured for the chance to give themselves that crucial edge for the local summer of tennis by signing on for the camp.

Included in the men’s line-up will be rising stars Todd Reid, Chris Guccione, Ryan Henry and Robert Smeets, plus last year’s big beneficiaries Luczak, Crabb and Victorian Joe Sirianni, who upset highly fancied Belarussian Max Mirnyi in the Open’s first round. Making up the female contingent will be the likes of Samantha Stosur, Christina Wheeler, Bryanne Stewart and young guns Casey Dellacqua and Olivia Lukaszewicz. All up, 32 of Australia’s top players will be based at Melbourne Park for the ten days.

Camp coordinator McNamara says the format of the camp is designed to cover all aspects of tennis required for success at the top level. "The ten-day camp will combine regular fitness workouts and match play interspersed with sports science and sports medicine analysis, and briefings covering a range of topics from diet and nutrition to media training," he explains.

"The overwhelming feedback from players last year was that the Training Camp gave them a sharper edge going into the season and that the group environment, which saw them practicing with their peers day-in, day-out, with advice on hand from many of the country’s best coaches, was a hugely motivating atmosphere in which to train and prepare."

As well as the advice from McNamara himself, camp participants will be able to call on the services of Davis Cup captain John Fitzgerald, Davis Cup coach Wally Masur, and for the first time this year, Australian Fed Cup captain and former Wimbledon champion Evonne Cawley.

Australian Open 2004 Wildcard Play-Off

The camp will run from 8-16 December, with the Wildcard Play-off for those not already holding automatic main draw entry to take place from 17-20 December. If this year’s camp proves as big a hit as last year’s, local fans can look forward to cheering on plenty of Aussies into the latter stages of Australian Open 2004.

~|Naomi|~
Dec 8th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Jaslyn is back from Sweden :)

louloubelle
Dec 8th, 2003, 05:34 AM
So this is a main draw play-off?!

Round robin or knock-out??

Damn.. don't think I can get down there for it.

TS
Dec 8th, 2003, 05:44 AM
It's for main draw.

I think it might be knockout...last year's playoff for the qualifying WC was knockout. I don't think there is a qualifying WC play off this year.

I'll most likely be heading down for this...not all the days, but I'll hopefully get to see some of it.

louloubelle
Dec 8th, 2003, 05:49 AM
Kriz's injury must be serious. Her and Christina H are mirroring each other :rolleyes:

Come to think of it... a sick day or two might be needed for this... provided I can be assured of more Christina/Nicole goss ;)

TS
Dec 8th, 2003, 05:56 AM
I forgot about Kriz :o :sad:

Yes it was a year ago that the rumour mill was set into gear :angel:

Well I'll be there, if anyone wants to come PM me and we'll have a day of goss, oops, I mean tennis to look forward to. :p

AUSBOY
Dec 8th, 2003, 08:00 AM
I can't believe none of you noticed McQuillan's name missing hehe

Certainly not good to see Rachel, Deanna or Kriz especially here.

One would hope Jaslyn isn't too tired. She's played a lot of tennis the last two months and travelled to Sweden and back recently in the last week. Its good that she's really motivated and giving it everything at the moment.

Whilst the training camp starts soon the WC draw isnt for another 8 days!

That will give Lauren Breadmore and others a chance to play her 2nd $50K event, lose and come home.

Looking at the list its very surprising that Olivia L and Daniela D aren't here. Also Natasha Kersten, Lara Giltinan, Tanevska are missing as well.

Im guessing only players with a top 500 ranking had direct acceptance into this event. I find it very strange that Kristen Van Elden, Beti Sekulowski and Nicole Sewell aren't here especially since both Beti and Kristen live within an hours drive of Melbourne Park!.

I hope they have 8 seeds in the 16 player draw. that way it would avoid players like Dellacqua meeting Evie in the first round!

azza
Dec 8th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Nicole Kriz :sobbing:

~|Naomi|~
Dec 8th, 2003, 10:30 AM
I am confused Olivia L's name is in the article but not on the list :confused:

aussie_stars
Dec 8th, 2003, 10:52 AM
This will be very very interesting

TS
Dec 8th, 2003, 11:40 AM
I can't believe none of you noticed McQuillan's name missing hehe

Certainly not good to see Rachel, Deanna or Kriz especially here.

One would hope Jaslyn isn't too tired. She's played a lot of tennis the last two months and travelled to Sweden and back recently in the last week. Its good that she's really motivated and giving it everything at the moment.

Whilst the training camp starts soon the WC draw isnt for another 8 days!

That will give Lauren Breadmore and others a chance to play her 2nd $50K event, lose and come home.

Looking at the list its very surprising that Olivia L and Daniela D aren't here. Also Natasha Kersten, Lara Giltinan, Tanevska are missing as well.

Im guessing only players with a top 500 ranking had direct acceptance into this event. I find it very strange that Kristen Van Elden, Beti Sekulowski and Nicole Sewell aren't here especially since both Beti and Kristen live within an hours drive of Melbourne Park!.

I hope they have 8 seeds in the 16 player draw. that way it would avoid players like Dellacqua meeting Evie in the first round!

I did notice Rachel's absence but thought everyone knew that she is out with a knee injury, so didn't bother commenting...I assumed the same with Beti S, as she pulled out of the last challenger.

azza
Dec 9th, 2003, 04:03 AM
Olivia L ranking has plumeted :o: from 700s to 900s :o

SM
Dec 9th, 2003, 01:52 PM
dubravka said her name is on the alternate list on her thread...thats not fair that Szili and some others ranked 100s of places lower and in poorer form were given the chance over her.

oh well

~|Naomi|~
Dec 10th, 2003, 02:25 AM
dubravka said her name is on the alternate list on her thread...thats not fair that Szili and some others ranked 100s of places lower and in poorer form were given the chance over her.

oh well

I agree

azza
Dec 10th, 2003, 03:12 AM
Poor Dubz :sobbing:

Fantastic
Dec 10th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Nicole Sewell is back in Perth playing State Grade Pennants. I beat her dad nearly a month ago in the Men's Division 1 competition. That win is gonna help my rating heaps. :)

AUSBOY
Dec 10th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Nicole Sewell is back in Perth playing State Grade Pennants. I beat her dad nearly a month ago in the Men's Division 1 competition. That win is gonna help my rating heaps. :)

Pennant is still going over in Perth? Finished in Melbourne months ago. Congrats on your win, have you ever played Nicole's brother?

Did Nicole's dad used to play on the circuit? It was a lot easier to do so 30 years ago I think.

azza
Dec 11th, 2003, 07:44 AM
:smash:

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 11th, 2003, 08:51 AM
I wish Wloderzcak would play :(

TS
Dec 16th, 2003, 04:52 AM
The draw has been released for the play off. Look slike it's a knockout event. Evie has withdrawn and has been replaced by Olivia Lukaszewicz.

1)Samantha Stosur v Lauren Cheung
Gabrielle Baker v Tiffany Welford

4)Lauren Breadmore (WC) v Sophie Ferguson (WC)
Adriana Szili v Mireille Dittmann

Jaslyn Hewitt v Casey Dellacqua
3)Monique Adamczak v Bryanne Stewart

Christina Horiatopoulos (WC) v Amanda Grahame
2)Christina Wheeler v Olivia Lukaszewicz (WC)

pfffft! Monique vs Bryanne :( Both girls had a shot at winning this, so that's a tough one...in fact their quarter is undoubtedly the toughest! The bottom quarter is also talent heavy but all girls have questionable form going on, for various reasons!

Play starts at 9am tomorrow on the outside courts...I might make an appearance (if it's too damn hot Im not going) as I have to be in Brunswick at 4ish for a Xmas party.

Aussie_Kim
Dec 16th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Noo did they have to do Jaslyn vs Casey, those girls are two of my favs. I'll be suprised to see Olivia go far, but pleasently suprised.

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 16th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Do u hav the men's draw as well? :scratch:

nitocris_tiger
Dec 16th, 2003, 11:07 AM
With at least 4 (or is it 5 or 6?) Aussies guaranteed a wild card, what is the deal if a high ranked Australian wins this playoff?

For example, presuming that Musgrave, Evie, Stosur & Wheeler are assured of wildcards, what happens if Stosur or Wheeler wins the tournament? Does the wildcard go to the next best that is not in the assured 4 (or 5 or 6?) :scratch:

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 16th, 2003, 11:09 AM
I've got the slighest feeling that Szilli will make it.

I'll either be :topic: or correct, we'll see :lol:

dubro
Dec 16th, 2003, 05:13 PM
no lara giltinan?? :lol:

azza
Dec 16th, 2003, 08:40 PM
[1] Luczak Vs [WC] Hanley :eek: Paul :o
Bourgeois Vs Crabb
[4] Sirianni Vs Kimmich
Durek Vs Marafiote
Guccione Vs Derer Go Chris :bounce:
[WC] Smeets Vs [3] Reid Go Todd :bounce:
[WC] Feeney Vs [WC] Nettle
Kennedy vs [2] Larkham Serisously GO TODD :)

azza
Dec 16th, 2003, 08:43 PM
I SEE NO KRIZ :sobbing:

Omg :o what has the girl done to herself :o :crying2:

AUSBOY
Dec 16th, 2003, 09:56 PM
The draw has been released for the play off. Look slike it's a knockout event. Evie has withdrawn and has been replaced by Olivia Lukaszewicz.

1)Samantha Stosur v Lauren Cheung
Gabrielle Baker v Tiffany Welford

4)Lauren Breadmore (WC) v Sophie Ferguson (WC)
Adriana Szili v Mireille Dittmann

Jaslyn Hewitt v Casey Dellacqua
3)Monique Adamczak v Bryanne Stewart

Christina Horiatopoulos (WC) v Amanda Grahame
2)Christina Wheeler v Olivia Lukaszewicz (WC)

pfffft! Monique vs Bryanne :( Both girls had a shot at winning this, so that's a tough one...in fact their quarter is undoubtedly the toughest! The bottom quarter is also talent heavy but all girls have questionable form going on, for various reasons!

Play starts at 9am tomorrow on the outside courts...I might make an appearance (if it's too damn hot Im not going) as I have to be in Brunswick at 4ish for a Xmas party.

Could Wheeler and Stosur have an easier draw???

Both shouldnt even raise a sweat in reaching the semi's

The 3rd Quarter is by far the toughest with Casey, Bryanne and Monique! I knew this was goin to happen thats why i wanted 8 seeds!

Matches that are likely to be close

Bryanne vs Monique(3) (Go Monique!)
Slumping Baker vs Slumping Welford
Breadmore(4) vs Ferguson
Grahame vs Horiatopolous (both outta form)

Have this strange feeling Szili will bounce back with a win, but I hope she doesnt!

Upset that I want to happen is for Jaslyn to beat Casey! Casey already guaranteed a WC so it would be good for Jaslyn to cause a boilover! Cant see it happening though :(

nitocris_tiger
Dec 17th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Did i miss something? How is Casey Dellacqua guaranteed a wildcard? Do you mean a qualifying wildcard?

AUSBOY
Dec 17th, 2003, 02:28 AM
MELBOURNE PARK, December 17

Australian Open Wildcard Play-Off

Round One results

Samantha Stosur (QLD) d Lauren Cheung (NSW) 6-4 6-0

Gabrielle Baker (QLD)d TJ Welford (QLD) 6-2 6-2

Sophie Ferguson (NSW) d Lauren Breadmore (VIC) 7-5 6-3

Adriana Szili (SA) d Mireille Dittmann (VIC) 6-4 6-2

Casey Dellacqua (WA) d Jaslyn Hewitt (SA) 4-6 6-0 6-2

Monique Adamczak (NSW) d Bryanne Stewart (NSW) 6-4 6-2

Todd Reid (NSW) d Robert Smeets (QLD) 6-4 6-0

My upset was right. Knew that Szili after a week of morale boosting coaching back on her favourite surface would be enough to get her back on track!

Bad Luck Jaslyn, at least she grabbed a set!

With regards to Casey getting a wildcard she is Australia's number 1 junior, it almost goes without saying that she will get one!

azza
Dec 17th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Samantha :clap2:
Gabby :clap2:
Sophie :clap2:
Mireille :rolleyes:
Jaslyn :crying2:
Monique :clap2:
Todd :woohoo:

azza
Dec 17th, 2003, 02:37 AM
wow lots of 6-4 sets :eek: :hehehe:

~|Naomi|~
Dec 17th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Jaslyn :sad:
If only she got a better draw she could have won a match but no she got Casey, congrats to Casey though

TS
Dec 17th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Also:

Amanda Grahame def Christina Horiatopoulos 4-6 6-0 6-4
Christina Wheeler def Olivia Lukaszewicz 6-4 6-4

How much of an easy draw does Sam have in comparison to Christina W? :( lol...if Sam fails to reach the final it would be an embarrassment. The 3 girls are talented enough (yes, even Szili!) but far below her level.

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 17th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Amanda :eek: :banana:

Olivia :tears:

azza
Dec 17th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Amanda :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ozfan44
Dec 17th, 2003, 09:16 AM
goooooooooooooo casey yessssss just to be sure of your wildcard please come on and beat adamczak then grahame or wheeler should be another good test.

Ferguson vs Szili will be interesting i was so shocked that adriana could win a match especially against dittmann who did sorta ok at sa challengers.

Amanada vs Christina will be a good test for both players.

azza
Dec 17th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Amanda :clap2:
Christina :clap2:

Aussie_Kim
Dec 17th, 2003, 12:29 PM
TS did you get to go?? If so could you tell us a tiny bit about the level of play you saw. I hope the girls and guys are competing well. I would love to see them all perform well this summer.

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 17th, 2003, 12:45 PM
TS didn't go, it was a scorcher yesterday

rusty_red_head
Dec 18th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Round Two Results

[1] Stosur d Gabrielle Baker 6-0 6-1

Ferguson d Adriana Szili 6-0 6-2

Dellacqua d [3] Monique Adamczak 6-4 1-6 6-1

[2] Wheeler d Grahame 6-1 4-6 6-0

Szili what a bad match throught she might of played better
Go Stosur she's only lost 5 games!! (She's my pick to win)

aussie_stars
Dec 18th, 2003, 10:29 AM
wow it looks like the good sam has shown up this week. Which is great. If i had to guess though, i think the winner of Casey and Wheeler will win it.

Good luck to them all though.

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 18th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Stosur :bigclap:

Szilli :(

Monique :shout:

SM
Dec 18th, 2003, 03:33 PM
go sophie! take out sam now

azza
Dec 18th, 2003, 07:36 PM
mens results? please post them to :)

azza
Dec 18th, 2003, 07:43 PM
found 1st round

[1] Luczak Def Hanley 6-3 6-4 :bounce:
Bourgeois Def Crabb 6-4 6-4 :tears: :awww:
[4] Sirianni Def Kimmich 4-6 6-3 6-3 :D
Marafiote Def Durek 6-4 6-2 :(:):)
Derer Def Guccione 7-6(2) 2-6 6-4 :awww:
[3] Reid Def Smeets 6-4 6-0 :bounce:
[WC] Nettle Def [WC] Feeney 6-3 6-2 :bounce:
[2] Larkham Def Kennedy 6-4 7-6(6) :eek: :bounce:

nitocris_tiger
Dec 19th, 2003, 01:41 AM
How can Casey be the top junior if she is ranked as the 11th Aussie in juniors?:

http://www.itfjuniors.com/Scripts/Rankings/JuniorRankings.asp?type=GIRLSNUMSING&submit=Get+Rankings&range=25&playername=Player+Name&rfrom=&rto=&NationCode=AUS

Is it something to do with age difference?

azza
Dec 19th, 2003, 01:50 AM
Final

Wheeler Vs Stosur
:eek: Sirianni :eek: Vs Reid :cool:

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 19th, 2003, 03:04 AM
VAMOS REID VAMOS!

http://2003.ausopen.org/images/pics/large/b_21_01_t_reid_l.jpg

ozfan44
Dec 19th, 2003, 03:58 AM
the tennis aus junior ranking system counts itf senior points and wta points for their junior rankings so casey is number one where she belongs
gooo casey