PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Mary Pierce will comeback dangerous as Anna Kournikova?

Becool
Feb 12th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Both were injured, and Anna comebacked really threating everyone, first Serena in Sydney, then Justine at AUS Open. Then she finally defended her semis at Tokyo which is a tier I losing to Seles at three sets :o

Do you think Pierce will for example, will comeback at end of this year like Anna did at end of 2001?

And be ready for kick some asses at 2003???? :)

Let's hope so, but what you think?

Linton
Feb 12th, 2002, 12:28 PM
I HOPE SO. She is an unbelievably good player and will sure to make a huge comback. and i tihnk an ever bigger comeback then Anna Kournikova. Lets wait and see,

Monica@51
Feb 12th, 2002, 12:39 PM
I think that as long as she remains completely free from injuries, she will come back even stronger than Anna. She has that belief in herself, having won some major titles in her career, and i'm sure that she feels she SHOULD be right up there with the best of them. And barring injury, there is no reason why she shouldn't be up there.

jomar
Feb 12th, 2002, 01:14 PM
I hope so, 'coz I want to see stiff competition in the women's tour.:angel:

destructo_girl
Feb 12th, 2002, 01:43 PM
No, I don't think it'll be as big a comeback as Anna's.

Firstly, because I don't know if she'll be able to stay healthy long enough to make a huge comeback.

and secondly, this is IMHO, what Anna did was AMAZING, and next to impossible. I can't imagine it happening again so soon.

But what do I know.

Best wishes for Mary, Get Well Soon.

SM
Feb 12th, 2002, 03:55 PM
I look forward to Mary coming back and also Lucic......both have enough weapons to get in the top 5, and one day theyll get there if they totally dedicate themselves again

Brαm
Feb 12th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Nope, she's too old to make a come-back & she keeps suffering from injuries. I think she'll retire very soon.

Lucic in the top-5???? :eek:

---> Good joke :angel:

maccardel
Feb 12th, 2002, 04:18 PM
We don't know.This is like her third comeback in the year isn't it? Let's stop adding pressure to her and jut hopes she comes back....when she proves she's injury free then I'll start dreaming of being a dangerous player and such...until then my expectations are not high. Welcome back Mary!!!

m_pierce fan
Feb 12th, 2002, 04:50 PM
I think Mary Would make her comeback in Scottsdale and win the whole tournament!!!She will win Hingis,Capriati in the quarters and semis and Venus Williams in the final!!:rolleyes:

Rollo
Feb 12th, 2002, 04:52 PM
this is IMHO, what Anna did was AMAZING, and next to impossible. I can't imagine it happening again so soon.

Please tell us what is so "amazing" about losing to every top ten player faced since her "comeback"?

IF(big if) Mary is healthy than she is not "too old" to still do damage.

Robbie.
Feb 12th, 2002, 05:06 PM
An uninjured Mary is a force that few players on tour are capable of defusing....if she remains completely injury free (not so fragile one tough match will set her back) I have NO DOUBT she will be a top 10 player again :)

destructo_girl
Feb 12th, 2002, 05:11 PM
You're a meeaan meeaan person, Rollo. :p ;)

Anna has almost always found it hard to beat top ten players.
And the fact that she stretched both Serena and Monica to three sets, is a great acheivement in itself. So, considering its meant to be a comeback from an injury that lasted for so long, I'd say it's been a DAMN good effort. so :p

SM
Feb 12th, 2002, 05:15 PM
i said 'if they totally dedicate themselves' they can get there...its no joke IMO! its serioud because both Mary and Mirjana must have motivational problems or something else preventing them from improving their conditioning and tenacity.

Meesh
Feb 12th, 2002, 05:21 PM
I just hope she stays healthy. I don't see Anna as a threat but definitely a healthy/confident Mary is a huge threat

Mark Spruce
Feb 12th, 2002, 06:34 PM
I am sure that Mary will be back. And it will be better than Anna, as Mary has won tournaments and has more experince.

I just hope that she does not get an injurys again. She does not deserve them at all !!! Should not happen to such a nice player !!!

regards

Mark

Volcana
Feb 12th, 2002, 07:01 PM
If she returns healthy before, say Porto, and remains injury free, Mary will end the year ranked higher than Anna. These are not comparable players, other than the braid. Mary Pierce has 15 tournament wins and 2 GS singles titles. Her highest singles rank was #3. By the time she was Anna's age, she'd already won a GS title. The fact that they were both top ten players two years ago can lead you to false conclusions. Anna has never shown close to the same level of skill as Mary for more than one match at a time.

Mary may never get her health back enough to be a top player. But she's got her footnote in tennis history just by winning two GS titles. Anna would like, I'm sure, to lose HER footnote. 'Highest earnings while never winning a tournament.' And she will. But this is a player who a LOT of people claimed they thought would be better than Venus Williams. Not 'as good'. BETTER. Now we debate if she'll ever win a Tier IV.

Becool
Feb 12th, 2002, 07:46 PM
First of all, Venus is not playing Scottsdale, SERENA is :p ;)

Well, Anna's comeback wasn't that tremendous also... Is OK, She's so much better this time, in 2002, but if we remember 2001, she didn't won a match since first time she played in San Diego, then she played Leipzig, lost in first round, Moscow, lost in first round, Zurich, lost in first round....

THEN in Luxemburg she won I guess.. She did quarters... SO, If we see 2002 as Mary's really comebacking year, don't expect her to win a lot in her first tournaments, I think after 4 or 6 tournaments, She'll win some rounds :)

It takes slowly, but when it comes, no one will take it more from her :)

I don't think Mary is OLD... :o

G-Ha
Feb 12th, 2002, 07:59 PM
I agree with Volcana in that you can't really compare the two players. A healthy Mary is a much more dangerous player than Anna. Mary at her best can beat ANYONE on tour and even make the tour's elite look like amateurs (see semis of FO '94). Can't really say the same about Anna.

Mary is not too old. The key will be remaining injury free for a stretch of more than a couple of months -- something she has been unable to do as of late.

Anyone who thinks Mirjana in the top 5 is a joke obviously did not see her play in the spring of '97 or Wimbledon of '99.

Martian Martin
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Too right DG, couldn't agree with you more :)

I don't think Mary will come back as well as Anna, just because although I would love to be proved wrong as I still really like Mary, I'm not even sure Mary will be able to sustain a comeback, she just seems too injury prone and gets one injury after another, but please prove me wrong Mary and make a good comeback!! :)

destructo_girl
Feb 12th, 2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Volcana
These are not comparable players, other than the braidlol thats a good one. :)

Mitch01
Feb 13th, 2002, 07:24 AM
I hope Mary Pierce comes back as dangerously as Anna did. I don't think she can be any less dangerous than the 5 straight losses Anna came up with...LOL (don't get me wrong, Anna's one of my absolute favourite players....but losing to Galina Fokina? Comeback or not, come on!!! :D) Seriously though, Anna has turned it up at the beginning of this year, and hopefully Mary will be able to come back strong too...but the thing that is so important for Mary is just to stay healthy for a period of time, because if she gets any more injuries right awat, I think she'll soon hang up her racket.