PDA

View Full Version : Keothavong heads for US

JonBcn
Dec 2nd, 2003, 10:53 AM
Keothavong heads for US

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/3255126.stm

Keothavong recently split from coach James Trotman
British women's number one Anne Keothavong is to have a trial period training in the United States.
Keothavong will join the Adidas training squad in Phoenix, Arizona, and will play alongside the likes of Meghann Shaughnessy.

She recently split from coach James Trotman but is expected to continue working with Tony Pickard.

Pickard is a former coach to Stefan Edberg and Great Britain Davis Cup player.

*hingis_forever*
Dec 2nd, 2003, 10:35 PM
I wonder if Anne will play some doubles with Shaughnessy? That would be cool!

*hingis_forever*
Dec 3rd, 2003, 01:18 AM
Call me optimistic, but I feel that this could be the beginning of Keothavong's rise to the top 75 or even top 50!

tim4
Dec 7th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Well, we need to be optimistic. Let's hope this is the start of something positive for Anne, and that she gets inspired enough to play as well as she is capable of, then she should at least break the top 100.

Colin B
Dec 7th, 2003, 11:07 PM
I'm really encouraged by this. Often in the past we've heard of British players getting 'homesick' on tour so it's good to know she wants to break free of the domestic scene.
The coaches in the US will hopefully toughen her up a bit and being No.1 Brit will mean zero over there so she won't have all the pressure of being asked, "when's she going to win Wimbledon?" by every dumb-arsed journalist that crosses her path.

I wonder whether this is a David Felgate/LTA initiative or if she has found some private funding. If it is sponsored by the LTA, then that is progress. Hopefully they can send some younger elite players abroad for coaching too!

:) :)

spinner
Dec 8th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Well said, Colin B