PDA

View Full Version : Is there any player who would trade a GS title with an Olympic Gold Medal?

Doraemon
Nov 29th, 2003, 06:29 PM
I doubt there is any.
Even those who have won a gold medal and said it's very speical wouldn't really consider it more important and precious than a GS title in my opinion.
The bucks from winning a GS is so much sweeter than from winning a gold medal let alone the huge ranking points.
What do you think?

fried_beans
Nov 29th, 2003, 08:39 PM
Maybe Hewitt lol

ghosts
Nov 29th, 2003, 10:53 PM
I'm sure there's

Caz
Nov 30th, 2003, 12:06 AM
I guess it depends on how important you preceive an Olympic gold medal to be, personally, I would think most players would trade GS's titles for an Olympic gold medal.

The way I see it, an Olympic gold medal is something very special that a player only has the opportunity to achieve once every four years, (so probably only 2 or 3 times in their career), if, and only if, they are amongst the very best players in their country. They all have four opportunities every year of their entire careers to win a GS title.

On top of that, of course, is the honour of being chosen to represent and being able to win something on behalf of their country.

If I were in their position, I know that an Olympic medal of any colour would mean far more to me than any Grand Slam title, and, naturally, that's the only frame of reference I have.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 30th, 2003, 12:18 AM
winning Slams is one thing but winning GOLD in the biggest Sporting event in the World is totally diff and of greater value.

no amount of $$$$ and pts can make up for it.

WTA going down the wrong track in awarding pts for Olympics :(
it devalues them.

disposablehero
Nov 30th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Not a single player.

Knizzle
Nov 30th, 2003, 12:42 AM
Venus said winning Olympic Gold was more special to her than winning a GS title, but I'm not sure if she would trade a GS for an Olympic title.

Paneru
Nov 30th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Venus said winning Olympic Gold was more special to her than winning a GS title, but I'm not sure if she would trade a GS for an Olympic title.

Well, fortunately it's not something
she has to worry about! :)

I think the winning Olympic Gold for Venus fullfilled her and her father's dream. Venus also said it was more special because you have the chance to win a GS every year, where as you only have the chance to win Olympic Gold every four years.

Trent
Nov 30th, 2003, 07:19 AM
There is only one Olympics in 4 years, there are 16 grandslams in that time.

I'd much rather an Olympic gold medal than a grandslam win personally, they're much more rare, and it's something you've done for your country.

maryjane
Nov 30th, 2003, 07:43 AM
it doesn't care me coz my favorite one won both!!!GREAT JENNYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bigclap: :woohoo: :banana: :nerner:

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 30th, 2003, 07:45 AM
Dementieva would :hug:

Fingon
Nov 30th, 2003, 08:29 AM
You have to ask them I guess.

Personally I don't consider the olympics important and a GS is waaay more important.

What irritates me is that some people talk about how wonderful playing for your country is like the holy truth. That might be true for some people but not for everyone, generalizations piss me off.

And the fact that there are 4 GSs a year and one olympics every 4 years doesn't make any difference. The GSs offer a lot of money and they have a tradition, which the olympics lack.

At the end of the day, players that won GS titles will be remember among the greats, winning the olympics doesn't give a player the same status.

hey_britney
Nov 30th, 2003, 09:28 AM
You have to ask them I guess.

Personally I don't consider the olympics important and a GS is waaay more important.

What irritates me is that some people talk about how wonderful playing for your country is like the holy truth. That might be true for some people but not for everyone, generalizations piss me off.

And the fact that there are 4 GSs a year and one olympics every 4 years doesn't make any difference. The GSs offer a lot of money and they have a tradition, which the olympics lack.

At the end of the day, players that won GS titles will be remember among the greats, winning the olympics doesn't give a player the same status.

Jus' one thing. I think the Olympics have far more tradition than any other sporting event, much less the Slams.

Every player would rather have a Slam.

irma
Nov 30th, 2003, 09:37 AM
maybe if they have tons of slams and no olympic medal, but I think one time slam champions would take the grand slam for sure

in other sports the olympics are everything but in tennis isn't (at least not yet)

take Cappy and Lindsay. They won gold before they won a slam and still people only started to talk about them as great champions after they won those slams

Doraemon
Nov 30th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Jus' one thing. I think the Olympics have far more tradition than any other sporting event, much less the Slams.

But I believe in tennis the Olympics isn't as important as in some other sports. Playing for your country is indeel special but doesn't mean it's more important. It's easier said than really thought. You know, of course it sounds much better saying I would trade any of my titles for a Olympic Gold Medal than the other way around on players' part.
I'm not blaming some players or thinking of them hypocritical or dishonest but I don't know if they take it as seriously as they take the GSs or athelets from other sports take the Olympics.

matthias
Nov 30th, 2003, 12:45 PM
maybe Sampras
because he has many GS titles.....and a Gold medal is something special imo

skanky~skanketta
Nov 30th, 2003, 12:53 PM
i think arantxa would have traded one of her french open' for an olympic gold. not too sure. she seemed very patriotic.

skanky~skanketta
Nov 30th, 2003, 12:58 PM
wow. i just thought about it and i realized that both steffi AND andre have all 4 Grand Slams AND the Olympics. what a winning couple!GO ANDRE!

calabar
Nov 30th, 2003, 01:57 PM
When all is said and done, a tennis player's legacy will be defined by slams NOT Olympic medals. That is not ncessarily true for other sports like swimming, track, gymnastics etc. However for tennis, it all about winning slams.

The other factor one must consider is the politics of the Olympics. Making an olympic team for tennis can be very political as we all saw in 2000 regarding the US team and perhaps other countries as well. In track and swimming (and perhaps other sports) there is a trial befor being selected. In tennis one is chosen based on rankings, which as we all know too well, being the highest ranked player doesn't mean you are necessarily the best (.....But that's another story). Further, for what ever reasons (including mundane issues such as uniforms) the top players do not always show up for the Olympics as they do for the slams, hence a victory in the Olympics can't be as meaningful as a victory in a slam where you are going against the best...unless the best has been injured.

Graf will always be remembered for her G slams and not her medal, although in her rather unique case, she did both at the same time.

Caz
Nov 30th, 2003, 02:28 PM

How can you say the Olympics lack the tradition that Grand Slams have?!?!?!?!?!? :eek:

To be precise, the Ancient Olympics were an essential part of ancient Greek life, so essential that they did, in fact, stop wars between the kingdoms fo the duration of the Games. The last Ancient Olympics took place in either 389 or 393 AD, before they were stopped due to the Visigoths invasion of Greece, although substitute games continued in Asia until 530 AD.

The modern Olympics were then revived in Athens in 1896 and they have been held ever since, (except during the World Wars).

I kinda think the above gives them slightly more tradition than your average Grand Slam!!!!

As for the money side of it, that's not the spirit of the Olympic Games, and not everything can be measured in terms of money.

Julian
Nov 30th, 2003, 02:46 PM
i think arantxa would have traded one of her french open' for an olympic gold. not too sure. she seemed very patriotic.

Agreed..Arantxa played in 4 Olympics and has won 2 silver and 2 bronze..yet NO GOLD! :(

IMO if she had beaten Venus in the 2000 Games in Sydney she would have had a great chance to win..she played AWESOME that day..just a shame the match was not for a medal. :(

irma
Nov 30th, 2003, 02:53 PM
How can you say the Olympics lack the tradition that Grand Slams have?!?!?!?!?!? :eek:

To be precise, the Ancient Olympics were an essential part of ancient Greek life, so essential that they did, in fact, stop wars between the kingdoms fo the duration of the Games. The last Ancient Olympics took place in either 389 or 393 AD, before they were stopped due to the Visigoths invasion of Greece, although substitute games continued in Asia until 530 AD.

The modern Olympics were then revived in Athens in 1896 and they have been held ever since, (except during the World Wars).

I kinda think the above gives them slightly more tradition than your average Grand Slam!!!!

As for the money side of it, that's not the spirit of the Olympic Games, and not everything can be measured in terms of money.

olympics have a great tradition of course, but not for tennisplayers simply because of the 60 (64?) years that tennis was not an olympic sport.
maybe it will grow in the future but I don't think tennis will ever have the same olympic value as by example athletics or swimming.

Caz
Nov 30th, 2003, 03:58 PM
olympics have a great tradition of course, but not for tennisplayers simply because of the 60 (64?) years that tennis was not an olympic sport.
maybe it will grow in the future but I don't think tennis will ever have the same olympic value as by example athletics or swimming.

Yeah, I agree to a certain extent that tennis doesn't have the same tradition as an Olympic sport as most of the others, but that does not mean that now that players have the chance to compete in the Olympic Games it makes it any the less meaningful that they are taking part probably the oldest sporting event, with the most history, tradition, and significance, in the world.

I have no idea what the players themselves think, though I'm sure we can't generalise, I'm sure each player has a diffierent view point, just like each of us does. All I am saying is that to me, the Olympics will always have far more significance and importance than any other tournament.

star_man
Nov 30th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Why not?Of course for tennis players professional carier is more important,but after a few titles,specialy after winning a gran-slam...

OOlympic games are always something special to remember,and money?...they will get it from sponsors anyway

Rocketta
Nov 30th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Yawl are under estimating the atmosphere of an olympics. It is the first time tennis players get to hob nob with other athletes in a competition. They get to meet their idols and get to see who admires them. They get to march in under their flag for all the world to see and hopefully gets to stand on a podium and have their national anthem played for them all the while knowing millions of people at home were rooting for them and are smiling on them. If you think they get one ounce of that kind of fulfillment winning a slam then there is no discussing this issue with you.

jimbo mack
Nov 30th, 2003, 11:05 PM
i think seles would have traded one of her grandslams for a gold medal

arantxa too

Pamela Shriver
Nov 30th, 2003, 11:16 PM
An Olympic gold ranks the HIGHEST achievement anyone on the planet can win. So that means I rulez! (now will people stop mentioning my lack of a slam!? :sad: )

Leo_DFP
Dec 1st, 2003, 03:58 AM
Maybe a Russian. I dunno, they seem to love the Olympics.

azza
Dec 1st, 2003, 04:05 AM
this is just m oppinun but i dont really see the olympics all that speacial :shrug:

skanky~skanketta
Dec 1st, 2003, 04:17 AM
um, a russian would have to WIN a slam first?LOL!

woman that is.

Fingon
Dec 1st, 2003, 07:57 AM

in athletics, gymnastics, maybe, not in tennis

Fingon
Dec 1st, 2003, 08:05 AM

so? there were many activities that have been done even before the olympics, that doesn't make them more important than a GSs.

Plus, we are not judging the importance of the olympics as a whole against GS, we are talking about tennis in the olympics, I am pretty sure tennis wasn't one of the sports in 389 AD.

again, you miss the point, not in the tennis world. If the olympics were so important, olympic athletes would be better known than proffessional athletes. Even boxers are better known for their proffessional titles than the olympic champions.

In soccer (football) I can name every country that won the world cup, I can't name one that won the olympics. Ask the NBA players what's more important.

The olympics are important but for the traditional olympic sports, not for proffessional sports that were included only to make more money out of them.

of course that's your opinion, not necessarily the opinion of the tennis players.

Peter M
Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:45 AM
Zvereva said that of she could only win one touurney, it would be the Olympics.

tommystar
Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:06 AM
Navratilova!

Wolud be great if she had an Olympic Gold too.
(Especially with the sad and strange story how she dropped out from the Seoul-US team.)

Hopefully she has her chances next year! :)

for-sure
Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:09 AM
Martina Nav. would so trade one of her thousand grand slam crowns for Olympic gold! :)