PDA

View Full Version : The facts about the number of tournaments in the U.S. vs. the world.

selesfan1
Nov 28th, 2003, 08:53 PM
I have recently been reading an uprisal again of people complaining of the number of tournaments in the U.S. if anything the presence of professional tennis in the U.S. has been declining. I have don some research and believe that most of this is accurate.

In 1991 with Virginia Slims( a U.S. Company) as the title sponsor there were 22 events in the United States: Chicago, Nashville, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Wichita, Washington DC, Houston/San Antonio, New Orleans, Miami, Tampa, Schenectady, Boca Raton, Palm Springs, Carlsbad, Standford, Los Angeles, U.S. Open, Vermont, South Carolina, Amelia Island, Philadelphia and the Slims Championships.

In 2003 there were 15 events in the United States: Memphis, Scottsdale, Indian Wells, Miami, Sarasota, Amelia Island, South Carolina, Standford, Carson(LA), San Diego, New Haven, U.S. OPen, Tour Championships, Philadelphia.

In 2004 there are only to be 13 : Memphis, Indian Wells, Miami, Amelia Island, South Carolina, Standford, Carson(LA), San Diego, New Haven, U.S. Open, Cincinnatti, TBD, Philadelphia, Tour Championships. All of these over a 4,000 mile span

So see, tennis is becoming more global.

PointBlank
Nov 28th, 2003, 09:21 PM
They need Memphis , it is there only Tier 3 in the U.S.

mboyle
Nov 29th, 2003, 03:05 AM
We need more. Half the tour should be in the states. 20% Europe 30% Asia.

Mikey
Nov 29th, 2003, 03:10 AM
They need Memphis , it is there only Tier 3 in the U.S.
Isn't Cincinnatti a tier III? I just assumed it was because Bol was a III.

Mikey
Nov 29th, 2003, 03:13 AM
This is nice, I'm glad that the tour is becoming more international. Though I'd be interested to see 1992-2002 - I'll have to check into that. Thanks for the info :D

It just occurred to me that Cincinnatti might be becoming Scottsdale, which was a II ;) I can't remember if it's become Scottsdale or Bol though :p

Master Lu
Nov 29th, 2003, 10:02 AM
We need more. Half the tour should be in the states. 20% Europe 30% Asia.

Care to back that up with something?!?!

Europe has 625 players on tour, 133 of them inside Top 200.
North America has 146 players on tour, 30 of them inside Top 200.

Or if you don't want to look at players, let's not. Let's look at spectators.

Europe has around 400 million people.
North America has around 300 million people.

If you go by the area covered, then I hope I don't even have to present numbers ofr Asia.

So, I'm wondering why should the States have 50% tournaments. And I'm not saying Europe should either.
*shrugs*

skanky~skanketta
Nov 29th, 2003, 10:12 AM
hope they can have a tourney in malaysia. even a tier 5 would be great.

GoGoMaggie
Nov 29th, 2003, 10:19 AM
don't worry yanks! That Matress bastard will buy you back a couple of big tournies in the near future.

croat123
Nov 29th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Care to back that up with something?!?!

Europe has 625 players on tour, 133 of them inside Top 200.
North America has 146 players on tour, 30 of them inside Top 200.

Or if you don't want to look at players, let's not. Let's look at spectators.

Europe has around 400 million people.
North America has around 300 million people.

If you go by the area covered, then I hope I don't even have to present numbers ofr Asia.

So, I'm wondering why should the States have 50% tournaments. And I'm not saying Europe should either.
*shrugs*
very good point, and while tennis isn't extremely popular in the us, it is the most watched sport after football and formula in europe. if anything, half of the tournaments should be in europe.

Experimentee
Nov 29th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Most of the US tournaments are Tier II and over, while most tournamnets in other parts of the world like parts of Europe, Asia and Africa are Tier III and under. There should be less big tournaments in the US.
Also if you count the Challenger tournaments I think there would be a lot more in the US than anywhere else. There seems to be one going on in the USA most weeks.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 29th, 2003, 03:42 PM
mboyle, you were born 20 yrs too late

70's and 80's US had 60-70% of the Tour
maybe thats why they also had 60-70 players in Grand Slam fields.