PDA

View Full Version : McIngvale Purchases Three WTA events for 2005

JennyS
Nov 28th, 2003, 06:22 PM
McIngvale Purchases Three WTA events for 2005

For three years, Jim McIngvale, aka Mattress Mac has transformed Houston into one of the most popular tennis cities in the United States. Starting in 2005, women’s tennis will be headed to Houston.

McIngvale has purchased the popular Bausch and Lomb Championships from Amelia Island, the JP Morgan Chase Open from Los Angeles and the WTA Tour Championships. All three tournaments will be played at Westside Tennis Club.

The Bausch and Lomb Championships will now be known as the US Women’s Clay court Championships and will be held the week before the Family Circle Cup in Charleston. The JP Morgan Chase Open and the WTA Championships will both be held on hard courts which will be installed on top of the clay courts.

The changes have left many top players stunned.

“I like the idea of playing in Houston. But three tournaments? That’s really pushing it. That McIngvale guy is really obsessed with tennis. I bet he’s going to go to the USTA and try to get the US Open to move to Houston too,” said Venus Williams.

Justine Henin-Hardenne has reservations about playing in a tournament run by McIngvale. “I can’t imagine how I’ll be treated. He’ll probably tell the fans to taunt me or boo me. Maybe the fans will have ‘I hate Justine’ signs.”

“I have always enjoyed playing at Amelia Island,” said veteran Monica Seles. “It’s such a beautiful stadium and I have so many warm memories. I’m very upset over the news. Tell that McIngvale guy to take a hike.”

“Amelia Island is one of the most important tournaments in WTA history. I cannot believe the WTA had the nerve to pull this,” said legendary player Martina Navratilova.

In response to the complaints, McIngvale released a nine page statement expressing his passion for the game of tennis. In the statement, McIngvale wrote, “I am shocked and appalled at the reaction from the players. You know, everyone should be thankful that I was so generous to purchase these three tournaments. If it wasn’t for me, tennis in the United States would be totally dead!”

Tickets for all three tennis tournaments will be going on sale in November of 2004. McIngvale believes the tournaments will all sell out. “You’d better get your tickets the day they go on sale. You don’t want to miss it!”

jimbo mack
Nov 28th, 2003, 06:25 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Martian Willow
Nov 28th, 2003, 06:27 PM
:rolleyes: < - ...yes, this really is the most profound thing I can find to say about this thread... :)

~CANUCK~
Nov 28th, 2003, 06:33 PM
:rolleyes: < - ...yes, this really is the most profound thing I can find to say about this thread... :)

personaly i would have went with this :yawn:

vogus
Nov 28th, 2003, 07:34 PM
very annoying to make a fake thread saying that Amelia Island is cancelled. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PointBlank
Nov 28th, 2003, 07:37 PM
All the player comments :lol:

Why does JuJu think he will do that?

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 28th, 2003, 07:44 PM
I believe this till the Venus comment...:rolleyes:

AndyLoefflerCaro
Nov 28th, 2003, 07:46 PM
I believe this till the Venus comment...:rolleyes:

Me too. :tape: She would never say "That McIngvale guy".

Admins should make a section for humorous threads... I mean, we're here to get informations and discuss about tennis, not to get fake informations.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 28th, 2003, 08:34 PM
I thought that it was pretty funny :)

Simply Orange
Nov 28th, 2003, 08:34 PM
That wasn't very nice.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 28th, 2003, 08:39 PM
:o :rolleyes:

Kart
Nov 28th, 2003, 09:11 PM
LOL. I too believed it until the Venus part :o.

croat123
Nov 28th, 2003, 10:13 PM
yeah, me too, i almost freaked out :o

Lady
Nov 28th, 2003, 10:56 PM
Yep! The same here!! I believed til Venus comment :lol:

Brian Stewart
Nov 29th, 2003, 05:13 AM
I hear he also purchased the Super Bowl, the World Cup, and the Olympics. (Wouldn't that do wonders for world diplomacy?)

Richie77
Nov 29th, 2003, 05:40 AM
I hear he also purchased the Super Bowl, the World Cup, and the Olympics. (Wouldn't that do wonders for world diplomacy?)
In a related story, the state of Texas secedes from the United States, changes its name to "Sportland" and names McIngvale its supreme and exalted leader :p

tennisIlove09
Nov 29th, 2003, 05:42 AM
:rolleyes: