PDA

View Full Version : Hingis 1996 Prostejov Victory

jenn
Nov 28th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Hey guys I was looking through Martina's record at tennis corner and came across this tournament win

CZE/Prostejov
March 04, 1996
Surface: Indoor Hardcourt
Round Opponent W/L Score
R32 Petra Langrova (CZE) W 6-4 6-2
R16 Tatiana Panova (RUS) W 6-3 6-0
QF Petra Schwarz-Ritter (AUT) W 6-4 6-4
SF Katarina Studenikova (SVK) W 6-4 6-2
F Barbara Paulus (AUT) W 6-1 6-4

Was this a challenger? I figure it must be as Hingis is only credited to have won two tourneys in 1996 - Filderstadt (def Huber) and Oakland (def Seles) in the fall. But why would a top 15 player play a challenger :confused: I didnt follow the game as closely back then so could someone let me know what this is all about :confused:

jimbo mack
Nov 28th, 2003, 12:01 PM
i vaguely remeber this too. however it definitely wasn't a wta tournament.

maybe a challenger or exhibition???

Fantastic
Nov 28th, 2003, 12:23 PM
It was a Challenger tournament. Martina had just cracked the Top 20 after a QF showing at the Australian Open. She was ranked about 18, but even that's a little high for a player to be entering a Challenger tournament. Not sure why she entered it. Perhaps the event was trying to gain a higher status and asked players like Martina and Barbara Paulus to help raise its profile.

spiceboy
Nov 28th, 2003, 12:28 PM
It was a Challenger tournament. Martina had just cracked the Top 20 after a QF showing at the Australian Open. She was ranked about 18, but even that's a little high for a player to be entering a Challenger tournament. Not sure why she entered it. Perhaps the event was trying to gain a higher status and asked players like Martina and Barbara Paulus to help raise its profile.

In fact Prostejov got a WTA event after that (though only for a year :p )

I think Martina was related to Prostejov somehow, I can't remember...

Doris Loeffel
Nov 28th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Hmmm how far away is this place from Kosice??
Couse that might be a factor why she played there.

Martian Willow
Nov 28th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Hmmm how far away is this place from Kosice??
Couse that might be a factor why she played there.

...it's not even in the same country... :)

spiceboy
Nov 28th, 2003, 12:58 PM
...it's not even in the same country... :)

I wouldn't point that out as a reason in Central Europe ;)

Doris Loeffel
Nov 28th, 2003, 01:51 PM
All right I'm not that good in History but when did Chechoslovakia (sp??) splitt into chech (agains sp??) and Slovakia??

Gandalf
Nov 28th, 2003, 02:06 PM
I think it was a future's tournament, or so (like they had an age restriction to enter-under X years of age)

starr
Nov 28th, 2003, 02:33 PM
I thought Barbara Paulus was a lot older than Hingis.

Xian
Nov 28th, 2003, 02:49 PM
that was a 50 000$ Challenger

in fact Hingis def. Barbara Schwartz 64 64 in the QF
seeded players were
1 Martina Hingis SUI
2 Barbara Paulus AUT
3 Katarina Studenikova SVK
4 Magdalena Grzybowska POL
5 Karina Habsudova SVK
6 Sandra Kleinova CZE
7 Denisa Krejkovikova SVK
8 Lenka Nemeckova CZE

other players
Tatiana Panova, Barbara Schwartz, SEda Noorlander, Cristina Torrens-Valero, Siobhan Drake-Brockmann, Marketa Kochta, Adriana Gersi, Denisa Chladkova, Kveta Hrdlickova and Libuse Prusova in Main Draw

doubles final
Chladkova/Vildova d. Krivencheva/Lugina 75 46 75

MartinaI
Nov 28th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Martina entered because it was her mum's local club in the Czech part of Czechoslovakia. It became Martina's local club when her Mum divorced her Karol Hingis and they moved to be nearer Martina's grandmother. I think she played it again in 1997 as she wanted to support her local club.

Zl@tko
Nov 28th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Well Martina's mother comes from Czech republic (Czechoslovakia split into Czech republic and Slovakia January 1st 1993); Martina visits Czech republic quite often and she plays some exhibitions in Prostejov i think, she also does horse riding there. She's been a member of Prostejov tennis club if i'm right and she probably still is. I heard that on TV when Martina visited Czech republic few years ago, she was also here after her first round loss at Wimbledon 2001.

PointBlank
Nov 28th, 2003, 04:28 PM
All right I'm not that good in History but when did Chechoslovakia (sp??) splitt into chech (agains sp??) and Slovakia??

:lol: :lol: :lol: Chechoslovakia and Chech :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is Czechoslovakia then it split to the Czech Republic

crazillo
Nov 28th, 2003, 04:32 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Chechoslovakia and Chech :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is Czechoslovakia then it split to the Czech Republic

you have to consider that she comes from gemany. we call them tschechische republik, without z, so the translation was bad. but it i funny, yes.

Simply Orange
Nov 28th, 2003, 05:03 PM
In fact Prostejov got a WTA event after that (though only for a year :p )

I think Martina was related to Prostejov somehow, I can't remember...
Guess who won it?

Miss Nagyova, of course. :)

jenny161185
Nov 28th, 2003, 05:27 PM
ahhhhh martina I miss you :( was she only 15 then?

jenn
Nov 28th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Yep only 15 :D

Thanks for the help everyone :) What a strong field for a challenger, because both Hingis and Paulus finished top 10 that year and Habsudova was not very far away :eek: