PDA

View Full Version : Squad for Hong Kong Watson's Water Challenge in January '04 announced:strongest ever!

Happy Guy
Nov 27th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Men: Roger Federer, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Max Mirnyi, Martin Verkerk

Women: JENNIFER CAPRIATI, ELENA DEMENTIEVA, VENUS WILLIAMS, MARIA SHARAPOVA!

OMG, I must go to the tournament!!! From January 8-10 in Hong Kong, with men's and women's singles, mixed doubles, and 3rd and 4th place matches for singles are available too! This tournament has always been an important warm-up for Aussie Open and the elites are keen to play here, but this year due to the new format each player is guaranteed two high quality singles matches.

Doris Loeffel
Nov 27th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Hey that sounds like a lot of fun!!

xr6turbo
Nov 27th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Wow!!! Venus and Capriati will finally get to play each other again!! (hopefully!!) :dance:

Can't Wait!!! :bounce:

kim4eva
Nov 27th, 2003, 12:22 PM
I HAVE to go to this tourny be4 I go to aussie opens!! YAY!! :bounce:

azza
Nov 27th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Go Max and :woohoo:

Sammm
Nov 27th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Martin :hearts:

venusgold
Nov 27th, 2003, 03:49 PM
:bounce:

Roger and Venus!!

gmak
Nov 27th, 2003, 03:59 PM
alyona and masha :drool: :hug: :rocker2: :bounce:

max and roger :D :D

7~LV3
Nov 27th, 2003, 04:51 PM
I really think that Mirnyi would play doubles with ms Venus, cuz wasnt he the one who played with Serena.

7~LV3
Nov 27th, 2003, 04:52 PM
once again.. its US vs Russia;) fed cup ??

fried_beans
Nov 27th, 2003, 09:04 PM
monica wont defend her title

tennisIlove09
Nov 27th, 2003, 09:06 PM
FINALLY a Jennie/Vee match! :bounce: (hopefully)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 27th, 2003, 09:09 PM
I'm interested to see Juan Carlos "I'm too tired and might skip Oz next year" Ferrero playing... guess that money talks :p

SJW
Nov 27th, 2003, 09:10 PM
cool! i hope Venus pairs up with Roger and Jennifer with Juan Carlos :hearts:

damn that challenge looks good :eek:

faboozadoo15
Nov 27th, 2003, 09:11 PM
i really don't know which woman i want to win... but ill root for venus and maria...

roger's my pic and hope for the men.

SJW
Nov 27th, 2003, 09:12 PM
i'm gonna root for Venus but i love all four women in that field :hearts:

faboozadoo15
Nov 27th, 2003, 09:12 PM
YES to the venus and roger thing!!! would be awesome. who could beat them??? maybe whomever miryi plays with would have a good shot.

Shuji Shuriken
Nov 27th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Go Venus :hearts: :worship:. This tourny sounds like fun...I hope it comes off well. Rock on Queen Venus :worship:

Diya
Nov 27th, 2003, 09:51 PM
For once i hope all the players actually show up coz the tourney sounds really cool

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 28th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Udachi Alyona and Masha :hearts:

Rtael
Nov 28th, 2003, 12:45 AM
I hope they all lose! Every single last one!

Happy Guy
Nov 28th, 2003, 01:31 AM
The draw is actually available already from today's news!

Jennifer Capriati v Elena Dementieva
Maria Sharapova v Venus Williams

Roger Federer v Max Mirnyi
Martin Verkerk v Juan Carlos Ferrero
This is kinda strange for the top two players playing in the semis, but perhaps the organisers wanna make sure Jenn and Venus can only play each other in the final.

The mixed doubles are rather interesting!

Roger Federer/Jennifer Capriati v Juan Carlos Ferrero/Maria Sharapova
Max Mirnyi/Venus Williams v Martin Verkerk/Elena Dementieva

faboozadoo15
Nov 28th, 2003, 01:59 AM
did they even pick their mixed dubs? it sounds like it could have been dictated...

Berlin_Calling
Nov 28th, 2003, 02:01 AM
This event sounds awesome. Juan Carlos, Maria, Roger, Venus, Max, Elena all playing together :bounce:

Burberry
Nov 28th, 2003, 02:38 AM
What an expo!!!!! :hearts:

tenn_ace
Nov 28th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Lena should have played with Roger and Maria with Max...

anyway, what gmak said... :rocker:

kj-
Nov 28th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Ferrero/Masha?!? :eek: :hearts:

Brian Stewart
Nov 28th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Quite a field. It would be ironic if Jen scored her first win over Venus in an event that didn't count. (Much like my fave's only win over Monica came at Mahwah.)

Chance
Nov 28th, 2003, 06:21 AM
thanks for the update, Happy Guy... I was waiting for some news because I read there was a press conference yesterday.

Sounds like a very interesting tournament :)

skanky~skanketta
Nov 28th, 2003, 06:44 AM
OMG!AWESOME!!!!

VENUS AND MARIA!:hearts:

if martin and elena team up, he'd make up for her awful serves.

max and venus would win mixed dubs for sure!yay!!!

Rtael
Nov 28th, 2003, 07:26 AM
OMG will this be televised in the states? Watching those mixed dubs matches would be awesome! (the singles too! :P)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 28th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Ferrero/Masha?!? :eek: :hearts:
Too bad for Maria that Juan Carlos stinks at doubles ;)

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 28th, 2003, 08:09 AM
So many mixed doubles in just week one of 2004 :bowdown:

ghosts
Nov 28th, 2003, 08:32 AM
women's field is great

sbmh
Nov 28th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Go Jenn/Roger !
:)

Shuji Shuriken
Nov 28th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Go Venus/Max :hearts: :bounce:...although it would have been cool if my two faves were paired together :sad:. But go Juanqui...you rule :hearts:. Good luck next year Andre :hearts:, Andy :hearts: :worship: and James :hearts: :worship: :bounce: :kiss:

Erdinger
Nov 28th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Too bad for Maria that Juan Carlos stinks at doubles ;)
Maybe he should take a shower before the match :devil:

Maria vs. Venus :lick: I'd love to see that!

Go Maria! :bounce:

Experimentee
Nov 28th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Go Venus, Max and Roger! :bounce:

SJW
Nov 28th, 2003, 03:36 PM
awwwwww that's cute!

Serena used to play dubs with Max...now it's him and Venus :D

TartarVicario
Nov 28th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Go Jen & V :hearts:

CJ07
Nov 29th, 2003, 03:51 AM
boy i wish i could watch that

beat em all V
I wonder how many times V can ace Verkerk :lol:

Crazy Canuck
Nov 29th, 2003, 05:10 AM
boy i wish i could watch that

beat em all V
I wonder how many times V can ace Verkerk :lol:
I'd be more interested to see how often she could ace Fed or Ferrero, since they have the best return games in the field ;)

CJ07
Nov 29th, 2003, 05:29 AM
you know it depends. I doubt she'd ace either.
If Federer can nullify Roddicks serve, as much as I love Venus, it'll be Serena's best returns about 75% of the time.

I just wonder if Venus can attack Verkerks second serve the way she attacks some of the womens.

Now i havent seen Verkerk play, but I believe i've read his serve isnt *that* big.

Also it depends on their stance. If Roger or JuanQuai underestimate V's serve and stand on the baseline, they'll get aced on the Ad side outwide.

Venus hits 116 mph out wide on the ad side better than some men do (relatively speaking anyway)

And if your ON the baseline, and cant read the toss, I dont care how good a returner you are, it aint coming back

She'll definately have some service winners though

Crazy Canuck
Nov 29th, 2003, 05:44 AM
I don't know a lot about Verkerk's serve, to be honest. I'm tempted to say Mirnyi's is better... I've seen them both live, but Verkerk was pretty much crap that day (he lost to Kucera in Montreal this year - that match), and Max beat Hewitt that day, so I don't have a lot to go on ;)

SJW
Nov 29th, 2003, 12:43 PM
to be honest.....i think Juan Carlos and Roger will be polite to Venus' serve. she's got the power, but i don't think they'll have many problems with the placement.

but Venus is Venus and will probably totally surprise them at times.

Experimentee
Nov 29th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Verkerk has a very big serve from what I saw of hiim at the FO. Better than Max's. But hes done pretty much nothing since then so I doubt he could challenge.
Ferrero does not have a good return game against big servers. He couldnt do anything when he faced Roddicks serve at the US Open. Federer on the other hand has a very effective return.

I guess none of you have seen very many mixed doubles matches, the men very often have trouble with the women's serves. Power isnt everything, its more about placement. I've even seen Hingis ace men, and I'd be surprised if Venus didnt rack up a few aces.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 29th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Ferrero does not have a good return game against big servers. He couldnt do anything when he faced Roddicks serve at the US Open

Ferrero doesn't have a good return game against big servers? Then why the heck does he own Wayne Arthurs? Why does he own Moya (not the class of serve as Roddick, but still a big server)? Why does he lead Mark 2-0? Why did he beat Ivan L this year?

Ferrero has problems with certain servers - he hasn't beaten Greg Rusedski in 3 attemps, nor Krajieck.

his problem is not strictly big servers though, or he'd have problems with ALL of them. He does not.

And please... let's not use his US Open match against Roddick as the bar. That was Ferrero's fourth match in four days. It is absolutely impossible to know how he'd do with fresh legs and reflexes.

Chance
Nov 29th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Crazy Canuck, how long did it take for JCF to recover from his abdominal strain?

Crazy Canuck
Nov 29th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Crazy Canuck, how long did it take for JCF to recover from his abdominal strain?
Which one?

Chance
Nov 29th, 2003, 01:07 PM
damn more than once huh.... well the most recent case.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 29th, 2003, 01:13 PM
damn more than once huh.... well the most recent case.
I'm not sure when the most recent case was? :confused:

I've been out of touch with Juan Carlos news ;) Only reading about results, blah.

That, and he has so many injuries that he whines about, that I tend to forget about them. No to suggest they aren't real, I just get the feeling that he whines about ever little pain and calls it an "injury". He mentioned how "sick" he's been lately after his loss to Hewitt, for example. If you're too sick, you don't play :p

Chance
Nov 29th, 2003, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure when the most recent case was? :confused:

I've been out of touch with Juan Carlos news ;) Only reading about results, blah.

That, and he has so many injuries that he whines about, that I tend to forget about them. No to suggest they aren't real, I just get the feeling that he whines about ever little pain and calls it an "injury". He mentioned how "sick" he's been lately after his loss to Hewitt, for example. If you're too sick, you don't play :p

lol ok then... I was just trying to compare his injury layoff to Venus's