PDA

View Full Version : The top 10 in-the-zone players

Doraemon
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:55 PM
I know my list is extremely biased but what the heck!

1. Mary Pierce
2. Lindsay Davenport
3. Serena Williams
4. Venus Williams
5. Monica Seles
6. Jennifer Capriati
7. Justine Henin
8. Kim Clijsters
9. Chanda Rubin
10. Amy Frazier!

Doraemon
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Believe it or not, The in-the-zone Amy is unstoppable as hell!

SJW
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:57 PM
ummmm

Serena
Venus
Monica
Mary
Lindsay
Justine
Kim
Jennifer

8 will do

gmak
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:59 PM
mary is sooooooooo on when she is on! ;)

jimbo mack
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:00 PM
when lucic gets the ball in :lol:

then she's great too!! :bounce:

she's in my top 10

shap_half
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Mary
Monica
Venus
Serena
Justine
Lindsay
Jenn
Kim
Anastasia
Amelie

Doraemon
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Looks like the top 8 in different orders are pre much rock solid.. so the last two spots are up for grabs..
I still stick to Rubin and Amy though Amelie is close behind..

SerenaSlam
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:07 PM
what is up with this "mary is on when she is "on" and unstoppable"......

when serena and venus are on, there is nothing mary can do, when they are on, their serves are on, etc. take venus for example, 2000 she took out lindsay in the finals of Bank of The West 6-1 6-4, she had over 15 aces I belive, one up to 125mph.

Now you cannot tell me that mary on, would compete with this, when mary is on, she doesn't take away the players games. when serena or venus are 'on" Mary's game wouldn't even be able to matter, cuz it wouldn't compete, she wouldn't get a chance to show her game.

Doraemon
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:09 PM
what is up with this "mary is on when she is "on" and unstoppable"......

when serena and venus are on, there is nothing mary can do, when they are on, their serves are on, etc. take venus for example, 2000 she took out lindsay in the finals of Bank of The West 6-1 6-4, she had over 15 aces I belive, one up to 125mph.

Now you cannot tell me that mary on, would compete with this, when mary is on, she doesn't take away the players games. when serena or venus are 'on" Mary's game wouldn't even be able to matter, cuz it wouldn't compete, she wouldn't get a chance to show her game.

Obviously you haven't seen Mary "on". Well that's quite understandable since Mary is rarely, yes, rarely on these days.

bandabou
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Serena( against Momo wimby ´02 or Lisa wimby´00)
Venus( against Jen U.S.open´01, after 4-1, bye bye Jen)
Lindsay( against Serena u.s. open ´00, Hingis Oz open ´00)
Justine( the second-set against Kim at ´03 U.S. open)
Kim ( whenever she plays Momo. DANG, does she own her or what?!)
Monica( too bad her in-zone, hasn´t been often lately.)
Mary P( She can blow ANYONE away)

moby
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Mary on is scary, as we can judge by the scorelines.

I notice that in-the-zone players are more often than not Type 'A' players, so players who play their game and take it to their opponents.

I see fewer Type 'B' players, i.e. players who mess around with their opponents and prevent them from playing their games, eg martina h, arantxa

bandabou
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:34 PM
In a sense, it does makes sense Moby. The type A players the matches are always in their hands. Either miss or they hit....when they are in the zone, they ain´t missing and then you get DESTRUCTION as a result.

Doraemon
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:36 PM
In a sense, it does makes sense Moby. The type A players the matches are always in their hands. Either miss or they hit....when they are in the zone, they ain´t missing and then you get DESTRUCTION as a result.

But don't forget the type B players still can forch the type A players into many errors. So in that sense, matches ain't always in their hands.

Simply Orange
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Mary isn't the only one...

Schnyder, Maleeva, Bovina, Dementieva... can look like the greatest player ever some days.

Doraemon
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Mary isn't the only one...

Schnyder, Maleeva, Bovina, Dementieva... can look like the greatest player ever some days.

I totally forgot about Patty.
She's such an inconsistent and moody girl. So unpredictable..
Maggie..she plays as if she were the best in the world against certain players.

bandabou
Nov 25th, 2003, 05:03 PM
But don't forget the type B players still can forch the type A players into many errors. So in that sense, matches ain't always in their hands.

Probably....but I still think that in every sport, save baseball, the best OFFENSE will always beat the best DEFENSE.

That´s why players Martina N, Steffi, now Serena and Venus, Brazil in soccer, dominate their sports....because of the offense.

ptkten
Nov 25th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Mary is unreal when she is on, she certainly belongs in the top 8. However, until she blows Venus or Serena off the court, I'll have to rank them as better when they're on.

Knizzle
Nov 25th, 2003, 05:40 PM
1. Venus
2. Serena
3. Justine
4. Kim
5. Lindsay
6. Momo

G-Ha
Nov 25th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Mary is unreal when she is on, she certainly belongs in the top 8. However, until she blows Venus or Serena off the court, I'll have to rank them as better when they're on.

Mary Pierce d. Serena Williams 6-2, 6-1 Indian Wells (2000)

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 25th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Mary Pierce d. Serena Williams 6-2, 6-1 Indian Wells (2000)

That was the "wild thing" Serena...losing to the likes of Likhotseva (sp) and Tauziat...Serena went through a rough period starting at Oz 2000 and ending in Toronto '01... :o

bandabou
Nov 25th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Exactly.....Serena went through a REAL tough time through after she won the ´99 Open. Losing to Likotseva, TAUZIAT!!, dropping sets to Stevenson....so that loss to Mary wasn´t that surprising.

In fact between ´99 and ´02, Serena had only like three tournaments where she was good: Wimbledon ´00, Canada ´01,IW´01.....too bad the controvercy obscured it.

G-Ha
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Yes, I realize there are invariably excuses for Serena's losses, but during that period, how many other players totally demolished Serena? And Mary has made other top players look amateurish, not just Serena. She has totally annihilated Steffi, Monica, Hingis and bagelled Venus in a 3-set win. How many other players can say the same?

And at any rate, I cited Mary's easy win over Serena to counter the suggestion that Mary had never blown away Serena. Regardless of which "phase" Serena found herself in during that match, Mary blew her away.

joao
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Venus is the best when she's on ... not even Serena can do much about it!

Nobody can stop the Queen during the summer when she's on ...

Remember that summer in New haven when Venus defeated 3 top 10 players (Capriati, Davenport and Henin) in less than 2 days? And then the following week beat another 3 top10 players and won the USO open w/o losing a set? Yeah .. that was in 2001!

And my top5 is:

#1 Venus
#2 Serena
#3 Lindsay
#4 Kim
#5 Amelie

mboyle
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:15 PM
1. Venus (agreed)

2. Serena (but she gets it it more)

3. Mary (damn it's scary:o )

4. Jennifer (THAT FOREHAND!!!!!)

5. Monica (she looks like a psycopathic murderer)

6. Lindsay (line after line after line)

7. Amelie (sooooo gorgeous, but still some errors)

bandabou
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Yes, I realize there are invariably excuses for Serena's losses, but during that period, how many other players totally demolished Serena? And Mary has made other top players look amateurish, not just Serena. She has totally annihilated Steffi, Monica, Hingis and bagelled Venus in a 3-set win. How many other players can say the same?

And at any rate, I cited Mary's easy win over Serena to counter the suggestion that Mary had never blown away Serena. Regardless of which "phase" Serena found herself in during that match, Mary blew her away.

Of course....still her only win though. So, she can have that one win. By the way: Did she win the tournament?! :scratch:

Roxers
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Lindsay
Mary
Monica
Serena
Venus
Kim
Amelie
Patty
Nadia P
Jelena/Elena B/Jenn/Elena D

G-Ha
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Of course....still her only win though. So, she can have that one win. By the way: Did she win the tournament?! :scratch:

Oh, how kind of you to give Mary that win. lol. Hmmm...I'm not sure who won the tournament that year...but I certainly know it wasn't Serena as she got worked by Mary in the quarters! :p ;)

But in what way does Mary not going on to win the tournament affect her demolition of Serena or the topic of this thread? Please clarify, because I thought the thread is discussing players being in the zone and Mary is the epitome of the zone player...she is very hot and cold. She can destroy a top player in one round and then go out to someone she should routine in the next round. In fact, Mary's most famous "zone performance" over Steffi resulted in a rather tame loss the next round.

bandabou
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Soooo?! In the end it didn´t matter anyway. People won´t remember that she beat Serena. People will remember that Lindsay won the tournament.

Mary may be the best in-zone player, but if it happens only once each then years?! Won´t win many tournaments!

Hawk
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Patty can be a holy terror when she's on. Probably one of the most naturally talented players out there. Unfortunatly it's not often that she's really on, and when she's off it can be just brutal :o

G-Ha
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Soooo?! In the end it didn´t matter anyway. People won´t remember that she beat Serena. People will remember that Lindsay won the tournament.

Mary may be the best in-zone player, but if it happens only once each then years?! Won´t win many tournaments!

Apparently a lot of people remember Mary's win over Steffi in '94 and Mary didn't win that tournament either. But that's neither here nor there. The thread simply requests a list of zone players...I didn't see any further parameters requiring that they must go on to win the tournament or that the win must "matter" according to your definition.

bandabou
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:59 PM
No, it was a great great win for Mary, but of course Serena did her one better: beat her 6-1 6-1 at the French Open ´02 AND go on to win the tournament.

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Seles
Dokic
Kournikova
Lucic
Serena
Venus
Lindsay
Pierce
Kim

Simply Orange
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:44 PM
I actually think Mary is being a bit overrated in this thread...

She's not the same player she was in '94, nor the same player she was at Hilton Head 2000.

bandabou
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:45 PM
And she probably will never be again.

¤CharlDa¤
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:48 PM
1) Venuis..I think in the zone she is better than Rena
2) Rena
3) Lindsay
4) Mary
5) Monica
6) Kim
7) Justine
8) Amelie
9) Jennifer
10) Daniela H

Mark43
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:49 PM
I am loving this Amy Frazier zone business.

Can someone please elaborate. When was Miss Amy in the zone and what were the results. :D

gmak
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:54 PM
no shame for mary to lose against lindsay on her favourite surface ;)

in fact lindsay was also in the zone for the first 3 months of 2000 :) too bad that injury came after i really thought she had a chance to win the one tournament to elude her :sad:

PatM04
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Amy can hang with anyone when she is in the zone. She is a very steady player but she can rip winners from anywhere on the court like it's the easiest thing in the world to do. She probably can be beaten even if she is in the zone but she could most likely take a set off of ANYONE in the process.

bandabou
Nov 25th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Not even in the zone, Lindsay wasn´t gonna win RG....clay and Lindsay, it´s only the "-ay" they have in common.

But it wasn´t really the injuries, it was just Venus coming-out.

gmak
Nov 25th, 2003, 09:03 PM
well she did come close in 1998 and she wasn't even at her peak

if only she could handle ASV's defences better that day :(

gmak
Nov 25th, 2003, 09:05 PM
and she had her chances against steffi the following year just that shaky start in the 3rd

bandabou
Nov 25th, 2003, 09:08 PM
And that was the closest she came: semi...after that it was qrtr, 1st round, DNP, fourth round. Can´t see it happening anymore. Not on clay.

gmak
Nov 25th, 2003, 09:15 PM
maybe you're right but when she won Wimbledon she was almost in disbelief she said that was the last GS she believed she could win :eek:

hingis-seles
Nov 26th, 2003, 01:54 AM
Martina beat Mary in the semis at Indian Wells after Mary beat Serena in the quarters. It was something like 6-3, 6-1.

Doraemon
Nov 26th, 2003, 02:02 AM
I am loving this Amy Frazier zone business.

Can someone please elaborate. When was Miss Amy in the zone and what were the results. :D

She smoked Martina Hingis in one of the 2001 summer tournaments.. I think in LA... She also nearly beat Venus.. like lost in a third set tiebreaker..in the same period..you know beating Venus on a hard court in the summar is all but out of the question.

bandabou
Nov 26th, 2003, 02:04 AM
maybe you're right but when she won Wimbledon she was almost in disbelief she said that was the last GS she believed she could win :eek:

That didn´t make sense, because she had a great serve and her groundies were stinging, so it wasn´t that surprising.

bandabou
Nov 26th, 2003, 02:10 AM
She smoked Martina Hingis in one of the 2001 summer tournaments.. I think in LA... She also nearly beat Venus.. like lost in a third set tiebreaker..in the same period..you know beating Venus on a hard court in the summar is all but out of the question.

Yeah Amy played well in that match against Venus....

vs1
Nov 26th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Venus is the best when she's on ... not even Serena can do much about it!

Nobody can stop the Queen during the summer when she's on ...

Remember that summer in New haven when Venus defeated 3 top 10 players (Capriati, Davenport and Henin) in less than 2 days? And then the following week beat another 3 top10 players and won the USO open w/o losing a set? Yeah .. that was in 2001!

You took the words right out of my fingers! I remember 2001. Venus was focused and she meant business. You couldn't have yanked her out of that zone with a designer dress!!! :eek: :eek: She had her eye on the prize and I have a feeling that 2004 is going to be more of the same!!! :worship:

bandabou
Nov 26th, 2003, 05:24 AM
I think Serena will have some choice words to say about that, vs. It ain´t gonna be a walk in the park....this time, if Venus wanna get it, she will have to REALLY come and get it...Serena ain´t rolling over. Maybe next year we´re gonna see some REAL wars between the two. Wimbledon ´02 and Oz open´03 redux.

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 26th, 2003, 05:27 AM
1. Pierce
2. Serena
3. Venus
4. Bovina
5. Davenport
6. Dokic
7. Seles
8. Hantuchova
9. Henin
10. Sharapova

bandabou
Nov 26th, 2003, 05:31 AM
I saw the list, thinking: pretty good....then I saw Maria S in the top 10 and then I said: some dilusional Masha-fan.

Knizzle
Nov 26th, 2003, 05:59 AM
1. Venus/Serena

2.Davenport/Pierce

3.Capriati:kiss:/Mauresmo

4.Kim/Justine

Why did you get banned before??

vs1
Nov 26th, 2003, 06:11 AM
I think Serena will have some choice words to say about that, vs. It ain´t gonna be a walk in the park....this time, if Venus wanna get it, she will have to REALLY come and get it...Serena ain´t rolling over. Maybe next year we´re gonna see some REAL wars between the two. Wimbledon ´02 and Oz open´03 redux.

Bandabou! I'm feelin' ya! I hope you are right! I hope we will see some real wars between Vee and Ree at ALL FOUR GS AND the Olympics!!! It can definitely happen!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Jeff
Nov 26th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Serena is definetly the in-the-zone queen. I think Venus and Lindsay are about tied for second. And, Although many will disagree, I think Dokic is close to the top when in the zone , as well.