PDA

View Full Version : Flashback: 25 years, top 100

Brian Stewart
Nov 25th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Or, almost 25 years, since the 2004 season is upcoming, and the rankings are from April 16th, 1979. I got a couple of tennis magazines from mid-1979, and thought this would make for some interesting reading.

1. Navratilova 51. Desfor
2. C.Evert 52. Latham
3. Wade 53. Russell
4. T.Austin 54. Tolleson
5. Fromholtz 55. Bunge
6. Turnbull 56. Hobbs
7. Reid 57. Norton
8. Stevens 58. Simon
9. Ruzici 59. Walsh
10. Barker 60. Strachanova
11. Marsikova 61. Nagelsen
12. Stove 62. Madruga
13. Jausovec 63. J.Evert
14. K.Jordan 64. R.Gerulaitis
15. Shriver 65. Lovera
16. Kiyomura 66. McDaniel
17. May-Teacher 67. White
18. Casals 68. C.O'Neil
19. Margolin 69. Vessies
20. M.Kruger 70. Bohm
21. A.Smith 71. P.Louie
22. M.Fernandez 72. Susman
23. Kloss 73. Doerner
24. Holladay 74. Blount
25. Redondo 75. Simionescu
26. Hanika 76. Collins
27. DuVall 77. P.Smith
28. Potter 78. Fox
29. Richards 79. Bonicelli
30. Siegel 80. Porzio
31. Ca.Meyer 81. Wikstedt
32. Forood 82. Medrado
33. Newberry 83. Evers
34. Stuart 84. Urroz
35. Acker 85. Tobin
36. Vermaak 86. Eisterlehner
37. Stoll 87. Mc.Louie
38. M.Tyler 88. Moulton
39. L.Hunt 89. Cuypers
40. Durr 90. Hepner
41. Teeguarden 91. Ekblom
42. Tomanova 92. Pinterova
43. Mandlikova 93. Blackwood
44. L.Dupont 94. Chaloner
45. Antonoplis 95. Stap
46. D.Gilbert 96. Spex
47. V.Gonzalez 97. Bendlova
48. Hallquist 98. Simmonds
49. Liess 99. Ziegenfuss
50. B.Jordan 100. Sands

bello
Nov 25th, 2003, 06:58 AM
wow i cant believe how many i dont know, im ashamed of myself!!!

azza
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Emilie Loit was born in 1979

So was Cara Black Peter Luczak Paul Baccanello and rebecca turner :)

jdog3008
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Pam at 15! LOL!

joao
Nov 25th, 2003, 09:53 PM
#43 Mandlikova :)
She was sooo good ... too bad she didn't live to her potential though!

WrB
Nov 25th, 2003, 10:07 PM
This brings back fond memories, as 1979 was my first full year as a tennis fan, and I had just begun subscribing to Tennis Magazine a few months before that issue. As the magazine was one of the very few sources for tennis rankings information in those days, I am sure I poured over this list for weeks until the next issue. In reading the list, I failed to come up with only two or three first names, and I am sure I still have that issue in storage.

disposablehero
Nov 26th, 2003, 02:29 AM
It was interesting seeing young Hana at 43, but where the heck is Evonne?

WrB
Nov 26th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Evonne had been out following Wimbledon '78, injured, and she was just returning to competition in April '79, reaching the semis at the Family Circle Cup, being trounced something like 1 and love to Tracy Austin, who would later win the US Open, and whom Evonne would defeat the following year at Wimbledon en route to her singles title as the first mom to win the singles in almost 60 years.

tennisvideos
Nov 27th, 2003, 08:52 PM
It was Francoise Durr's last season on the tour and she was limiting her committments - hence slipping to #40. Well, she was 37 at that stage :)

Good old Ginny Wade was still doing well wasn't she!

Snuffkin
Nov 27th, 2003, 09:07 PM
6. Turnbull

Wenders!

Bless!

Andy T
Nov 27th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Memory Lane or what!!!!
*Like Evonne GC, BJK had not played singles since Wimbledon 78. She was to return in June, hence her absence from the list.
*Karen Susman, Wimbledon Champ 17 years before is there at 72, despite the fact that she was playing a very limited schedule. What was her highest computer (i.e. post 75) ranking, Brian?
*I see Regina - hic-Marsikova's there at 11. If she hadn't been done for drunk driving and banned from travel for 3 seasons in the early 80s, I wonder if she could have gone higher.

raquel
Nov 27th, 2003, 09:29 PM
54. Tolleson

Does anyone know if this is Stephanie Tolleson, Arantxa and Monica's old agent?

I see Dianne Fromholtz at 5. She must be one of the least talked about top 5 players. She was obviously very talented to be top 5 in that era, only ranked below Martina, Chris, Virginia and Tracy.

WrB
Nov 27th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Does anyone know if this is Stephanie Tolleson, Arantxa and Monica's old agent?

I see Dianne Fromholtz at 5. She must be one of the least talked about top 5 players. She was obviously very talented to be top 5 in that era, only ranked below Martina, Chris, Virginia and Tracy.

Yes, that Tolleson is Arantxa and Monica's old agent.

Dianne Fromholtz (Balestrat) became my favorite player that season, and shortly before the rankings above, she spent one rankings period at #4. I remember the old World of Tennis almanac which reflected on the '77 season as saying that at #7, Fromholtz must be the least well-known #7 in the world at anything, which ur remark made me think of. In 1979, Fromholtz had a fantastic indoor season on what was then the Avon circuit, with the second best set of results following Navratilova.

Declan
Nov 27th, 2003, 11:09 PM
April 1979 - I remember that time SO clearly, and every single player on this list!

Sue Barker - back in the Top Ten after a disappointing 1978 - she'd recently secured her only career win ove Chris Evert.

Kathy May at 17 - she'd just married Brian Teacher, who'd win the Australian Open the following year. She was in the Top Twenty for four years, (peaking at No.10), despite always seeming to play a restricted schedule, and won the US Clay Courts title in 1976 as well as twice reaching the Quarter-Finals at Roland Garros and once at the US Open. Oh, and she was one of the few players to defeat Martina Navratilova in a first round! (Dallas Virginia Slims, 1977). She re-joined the tour in 1990, for one tournament,after a 10-year absence and could still beat Alexia Dechaume.

Betty Ann Stuart at 34! She had returned at the start of '79, and this was to be about the longest consistent spell she ever spent on tour! She was always off getting married or having children! She married Phil Dent the following year and gave birth to Taylor Dent in early 1981. She was SO sexy! (Despite having the worst cellulite I've EVER seen on a professional sportswoman - but it didn't matter!)

Michele Tyler at 38! Fantastic looking girl, shortly to retire at the age of 21! This despite peaking at 23 just a few months earlier and achieving career wins over Billie Jean King (6-3 6-0!), Tracy Austin and Pam Shriver. She just couldn't stand the grind of the tour, and went to work part-time at Selfridges department store around this time. I've often wondered what became of her.

Francoise Durr, in her last season as a singles player. I'd have loved to have caught her win over Rosie Casals at Eastbourne that year, the last time those fantastic, unique contemporaries played each other.

Lesley Hunt! A tough Aussie, four-time -I think - US Open Quarter-Finalist who just disappeared around this time, and I literally never saw her mentioned again, to see why she'd retired -although I noticed in a "World Of Tennis" yearbook reference section a few years ago that she'd married for a second time.

Aleida Spex! The only black Cuban I ever saw play tennis; she had an even shorter career than Michele Tyler!

Thanks Brian for stirring up these old memories!

Shooter
Nov 28th, 2003, 03:07 AM
There are many interesting names on the list -

1. Navratilova -> still a top 10 doubles player (unbelievable)!
6. Turnbull -> wasn't she called 'The Rabbit' or something similar?
29. Richards -> one of a kind?
40. Durr-> most unorthodox grip I've ever seen.
43. Mandlikova -> a natural, beautiful player to watch.
63. J. Evert -> little Evert!
64. Ruta Gerulaitis -> saw her play doubles with her brother Vitas at the U.S. Open. Vitas always drew a big crowd. He was lightning quick, very exciting to watch. V is one of my all-time favorites.
99. Ziegenfuss -> unforgetable name. Isn't she Allison Bradshaw's mom?

......... http://www.mfwweb.com/tennis/Misc/Shooter.jpg

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Nov 28th, 2003, 02:33 PM
I was 14 days old when these rankings came out :D

Andy T
Nov 28th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Do you have any earlier top 100s, Brian, say from 76?

Declan
Nov 28th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Do you have any earlier top 100s, Brian, say from 76?

I have, from the season's end of 1976 - I'll post them in a while.

Declan
Nov 28th, 2003, 03:55 PM
End of 1976 Top 100 of the WTA rankings...

1. Chris Evert
2. Evonne Cawley
3. Virginia Wade
4. Martina Navratilova
5. Dianne Fromholtz
6. Rosie Casals
7. Betty Stove
8. Kerry Reid
9. Olga Morozova
10. Sue Barker
11.Mima Jausovec
12. Nancy Richey
13. Terry Holladay
14. Natasha Chmyreva
15. Franciose Durr
16. Marita Redondo
17. Greer Stevens
18. Jo Anne Russell
19. Kathy May
20. Mona Guerrant
21. Lesley Hunt
22. Carrie Meyer
23. Regina Marsikova
24. Helga Masthoff
25. Marise Kruger
26. Virginia Ruzici
27.Kathy Kuykendall
28. Janet Newberry
29. Maria Bueno
30. Wendy Turnbull
31. Marcie Louie
32. Kristien Shaw
33. Beth Norton
34. Julie Anthony
35. Ilana Kloss
36. Cynthia Doerner
37. Valerie Ziegenfuss
38. Brigitte Cuypers
39. Ann Kiyomura
40. Mary Struthers
41. Wendy Overton
42. Laura Dupont
43. Fiorella Bonicelli
44. Pam Teeguarden
45. Mariana Simionescu
46. Linky Boshoff
47. Florenta Mihai
48. Renata Tomanova
49. Jeanne Evert
50. Ruta Gerulaitis
51. Mary Hamm
52. Iris Riedel
53. Betsy Nagelsen
54. Lea Antonoplis
55. Ellie Vessies
56. Gail Lovera
57. Janice Metcalf
58. Tory Fretz
59. Isobel Fernandez
60. Annette Duplooy
61. Mimi Wikstedt
62. Helen Gourlay
63. Michele Gurdal
64. Ingrid Bentzer
65. Heidi Eisterlehner
66. Glynis Coles
67. Kathy Harter
68. Patti Hogan
69. Jackie Fayter
70. Linda Mottram
71. Pat Bostrom
72. Yvonne Vermaak
73. Roberta Stark
74. Bunny Bruning
75. Sabina Simmonds
76. Alison McMillan
77. Sharon Walsh
78. Michele Tyler
79. Lesley Charles
80. Sue Stap
81. Ceci Martinez
82. Linde Thomas
83. Francoise Guedy
84. Corinne Moleswoth
85. Raquel Giscafre
86. Peggy Michel
87. Lidsay Beaven
88. Robin Tenney
89. Susan Mehmedbasich
90. Sue Mappin
91. Diane Evers
92. Aleida Spex
93. Rayni Fox
94. Pat Whytcross
95. Veronica Burton
96. Belinda Thompson
97. Laurie Tenney
98. Judith Connor
99. Wendy paish
100. Pat Medrado

Actually this can't be the final WTA ranking of '76, despite what the magazine ("The Tennis Year '77") claims - Sue Barker definitely finished the year at No.5.
But oh - TEN British players in the Top 100! Halcyon days indeed!

Declan
Nov 28th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Bud Collins' "Ultimate Tennis Encyclopedia" has the final 1976 Top Ten as:
1. Evert
2. Cawley
3. Wade
4. Navratlilova
5. Barker
6. Stove
7. Fromholtz
8. Jausovec
9. Casals
10.Durr

So I would guess the above list is from maybe October 1976; in the middle of October at the massive Colgate Inaugural tournament Francoise Durr reached the final (beating Martina Navratilova on the way 6-1 6-1!) so would have received a shed-load of points there, presumably enough to propel her back up to the Top Ten.

darrinbaker00
Nov 28th, 2003, 05:52 PM
How many times, if at all, did Chris and Jeanne Evert play each other professionally? ;)

Pamela Shriver
Nov 28th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Quick hide this list! I can't let it be known Wendy Turnbull was hellova lot higher than me!!!

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 28th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Pam: Did they call you Ping Pong Pam cause you were (are) a slut? Did you ever get it on with Martina N?

Declan
Nov 28th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Quick hide this list! I can't let it be known Wendy Turnbull was hellova lot higher than me!!!

But be fair, Pammy: Wendy DID win nine of your first ten matches!!

Brian Stewart
Nov 29th, 2003, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the 1976 list.

One of the things that's interesting is to look at a succession of YER lists. You can almost put together a picture of a player's career, even without knowing anything about the tour.

You can spot the young players working their way up to the top. You can see veterans clinging to last vestiges of glory, then slowly fading into the sunset. You can see who were the tennis equivalent of "one hit wonders"; players who were propelled up the rankings by a big tourney or brief period of excellence (or one good year), only to fall back to the middle of the pack to languish there. (There can be a variety of reasons for this.) You can also figure out whose careers were interrupted by physical absences (injuries, illnesses, maternity) by noticing who would reach a certain level, suddenly drop down drastically, then move back up.

So, even without knowing the backstory, you can form a broad outline of a player's career. That's the sort of info these rankings lists provide. A framework, which contains a very interesting story with many entertaining chapters.

And, to answer Andy's question, no I don't have any of these old lists handy. I only have a couple of tennis mags before 1991, and only have the YER from 1987 (photocopied at the library).

Declan
Nov 29th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the 1976 list.

One of the things that's interesting is to look at a succession of YER lists. You can almost put together a picture of a player's career, even without knowing anything about the tour.

You can spot the young players working their way up to the top. You can see veterans clinging to last vestiges of glory, then slowly fading into the sunset. You can see who were the tennis equivalent of "one hit wonders"; players who were propelled up the rankings by a big tourney or brief period of excellence (or one good year), only to fall back to the middle of the pack to languish there. (There can be a variety of reasons for this.) You can also figure out whose careers were interrupted by physical absences (injuries, illnesses, maternity) by noticing who would reach a certain level, suddenly drop down drastically, then move back up.

So, even without knowing the backstory, you can form a broad outline of a player's career. That's the sort of info these rankings lists provide. A framework, which contains a very interesting story with many entertaining chapters.

And, to answer Andy's question, no I don't have any of these old lists handy. I only have a couple of tennis mags before 1991, and only have the YER from 1987 (photocopied at the library).

Well from 1977 the "World Of Tennis" yearbooks always had the year-end rankings, and I have most of them, plus the American "Tennis" magazine used to have a bumper 'annual' edition every year that used to have the Top 200 I think - I've still kept a good few of them from the late 70s and 80s.

WrB
Nov 29th, 2003, 06:29 AM
1976 #67, Kathy Harter

Is that the Bryan twins' mom? I often heard that their mom Kathy played professionally in the 70's, and KNOW it is not Kathy May (Teacher) Paben, but was never sure of their mom's maiden name.

tennisvideos
Nov 29th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Thanks for those lists... and Declan, thanks for reliving the Durr victory over Navratilova in that Colgate Inaugural Semi!

Back to 1979, those cagy veteran's Francoise Durr (aged 37) and Virginia Wade paired up in Frankie's final assault on the tour to win the World Doubles Championships (then called the Bridgestone)!

Great to see Maria Bueno ranked in '76 after her comeback to professional tennis! What a legend, what a stylist. I have two of her Wimbledon matches on video from this year - one was a 3 set loss to Sue Barker and the other was an earlier round win.

Declan
Nov 29th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Thanks for those lists... and Declan, thanks for reliving the Durr victory over Navratilova in that Colgate Inaugural Semi!

Back to 1979, those cagy veteran's Francoise Durr (aged 37) and Virginia Wade paired up in Frankie's final assault on the tour to win the World Doubles Championships (then called the Bridgestone)!

Great to see Maria Bueno ranked in '76 after her comeback to professional tennis! What a legend, what a stylist. I have two of her Wimbledon matches on video from this year - one was a 3 set loss to Sue Barker and the other was an earlier round win.

I mentioned this on here before, but in 1989 I saw Maria Bueno in a post office in South London and I went up to her and had a bit of a chat about her career. I said obviously I didn't see her in her heyday (I think I phrased it more diplomatically!) but that I remember seeing a match she played at Wimbledon in 1977 against Janet Newberry which she won 1-6 8-6 8-6 and what a fantastic match it had been - I think she was surprised that someone even remembered the score all those years later and she told me how tough it had been.

tennisvideos
Nov 29th, 2003, 02:47 PM
That was great to get to chat to Maria. What a legend she was. I met her also at Wimbledon in the early 90s when she was playing the veterans and got a great photo taken with her - she had a mini replica wimbledon trophy with her. Had a brief chat and she seemed genuinely nice.

At least we have videos of her at her peak - thank the heavens. The only other player in her league for gracefulness is Evonne Goolagong... and Hana I guess.

Brian Stewart
Nov 30th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Hmmm. A lot of fond memories in these lists. Sounds like a BFTP thread in the making. Perhaps a list of the top 100 (or 200) in the YER from the start of the computer rankings (1975) up through now. By seeing them in order, we can follow the path of any player. I can supply them from 1987 up (maybe even 1986), but I certainly wouldn't object to someone else doing the typing.