PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Hingis-Venus match among these?

Mister B
Nov 24th, 2003, 04:58 PM
What is your favorite Hingis-Venus match among these?
Mine is definitely US Open 1999, followed by US Open 2000! Two of my all-time favorite matches! According to me, it was the best rivalry of the late 90s and early 00s!

*hingis_forever*
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:04 PM
What is your favorite Hingis-Venus match among these?
Mine is definitely US Open 1999, followed by US Open 2000! Two of my all-time favorite matches! According to me, it was the best rivalry of the late 90s and early 00s!
I agree with those two and I'd also pick AUS Open 2001 semifinal! I know the Williams fans don't like that match but us Hingis fans love it!

SJW
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:05 PM
the two 00 matches for me

*hingis_forever*
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:07 PM
the two 00 matches for me
Yeah, that Wimbledon match was fun! I have it on tape and I love to watch it even though Hingis loses! I hate the US Open match that year though because of how she chokes and barely hits the overhead!

SJW
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Yeah, that Wimbledon match was fun! I have it on tape and I love to watch it even though Hingis loses! I hate the US Open match that year though because of how she chokes and barely hits the overhead!

yea but the drama :D

Mister B is right, that rivalry was great.........i sure do miss it :sad:

¤CharlDa¤
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:11 PM
That was such a great rivalry...I miss it...Well I miss Venus :sad:

My fave was surel;y the Us Open 2000 semifinal....All the drama in that amtch was incredible! And those long rallies....The best match I ever saw actually!

*hingis_forever*
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:11 PM
yea but the drama :D

Mister B is right, that rivalry was great.........i sure do miss it :sad:
I just saw your sig! I never knew you also liked Hingis?

tennisIlove09
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:19 PM
It's impossible to pick one.

99 US SF
00 US SF

are the best matches I've ever seen I think.

SJW
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:24 PM
I just saw your sig! I never knew you also liked Hingis?

it's been there for a while ;)

well my interest in tennis went from Steffi to Martina to the Williams sisters :)

Linzi
Nov 24th, 2003, 06:16 PM
I miss these matches so much :sad:

calabar
Nov 24th, 2003, 06:17 PM
2000 US Open Semi. - No Contest!!!!

jenny161185
Nov 24th, 2003, 06:23 PM
I love the Wimbledon 00 match It was great but so was the US semi both great matches - wish they could play again :(

WinningRecord
Nov 24th, 2003, 09:52 PM
The US Open 1999 match was BY FAR the highest quality match they have ever played. It was very dramatic too, and had a lot of great shot-making, but the tennis itself was waaaaaaaaaay better than the rest of their matches especially the 2000 US Open which paled in comparison quite frankly (although it was still an excellent match, Hingis erred an awful lot and had that infamously hideous choke smash, and this is the girl who hits perfect smashes like there's no tomorrow).

tennisIlove09
Nov 24th, 2003, 09:54 PM
The US Open 1999 match was BY FAR the highest quality match they have ever played. It was very dramatic too, and had a lot of great shot-making, but the tennis itself was waaaaaaaaaay better than the rest of their matches especially the 2000 US Open which paled in comparison quite frankly (although it was still an excellent match, Hingis erred an awful lot and had that infamously hideous choke smash, and this is the girl who hits perfect smashes like there's no tomorrow).

Hingis had a lot of errors in the 2000 US Open? What match were you watching?

WinningRecord
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:03 PM
She didn't have a lot of errors but she had too many in comparison to her lackluster average of 4.3 winners per set, and most of these came towards the end of the third set including the most lackluster smash of her career.

In fact Hingis has only hit one smash worse than that as I can recall and it was against Seles at the 02 Oz, where she hit the ball completely wide.

tennisIlove09
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:10 PM
She didn't have a lot of errors but she had too many in comparison to her lackluster average of 4.3 winners per set, and most of these came towards the end of the third set including the most lackluster smash of her career.

In fact Hingis has only hit one smash worse than that as I can recall and it was against Seles at the 02 Oz, where she hit the ball completely wide.

Really? How about the one she hit EARLIER in the match? I believe it was 3-3 in the second set; it gave Venus the break. It was way long.

Hingis did not start making more errors in the late stages; if you believe that, you haven't seen the match.

Leo_DFP
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:11 PM
How good was the Munich match?

WinningRecord
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Rahaha I've seen the match plenty of times and from 5-3 up after playing a nearly perfect third set her game just started to unravel. It's not like Venus did anything she wasn't doing earlier in the third set, it was all Hingis getting tense and making errors and hitting short.

Venus Forever
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Choked smash??

I definitely wouldn't call it that. It was a tough overhead, Martina was half to the net, when she had to back up for the lob, which was in no man's land, as they call it. It was a pretty tough overhead, but of course, she still could have put more on it, but considering it was 5-3 30-15, it was very pressure full, and Martina made the right decision to just get it back in. Venus just made her pay however.

Kiswana
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:15 PM
I apologise for my favouritism but I selected a match that Venus won. Her comeback in the third set of their 2000 US Open semifinal was amazing. What a tremendous effort!

WinningRecord
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Hingis was NOT in the middle of the court nor was she off-balance when she hit the smash as you made it seem. It was a very routine smash she has hit hundreds of time and she hits it about halfway in the court RIGHT AT VENUS' BACKHAND which can only be described as a total choke not only in execution but in concentration. It's funny that everyone else agrees that Hingis choked that match away but it seems that you can't bring yourself to admit it.

Nonetheless the 99 match was much higher quality. Not to say the 00 match wasn't great because it was.

tennisIlove09
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:25 PM
How good was the Munich match?

Up and down, at best.

Venus started VERY aggressive. She raced to a 6-2 4-1 lead. Then she got tight, and began making more errors, and Hingis gained confidence. Hingis took advantage and went up 2-6 7-6 4-1. Then Venus decided to go back to her 1st game plan, and wacked the ball all around again.

Venus Forever
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Hingis was NOT in the middle of the court nor was she off-balance when she hit the smash as you made it seem. It was a very routine smash she has hit hundreds of time and she hits it about halfway in the court RIGHT AT VENUS' BACKHAND which can only be described as a total choke not only in execution but in concentration. It's funny that everyone else agrees that Hingis choked that match away but it seems that you can't bring yourself to admit it.

Nonetheless the 99 match was much higher quality. Not to say the 00 match wasn't great because it was.

I have the clip on my computer. I re-watched it too.

Martina was two steps in front of the service line, but she had to to scoot back about three to four steps back to hit the overhead, which was in no man's land (the area of the court between the service and baseline.) Sure, it should have been routine, but going back for an overhead makes it harder than if it was hit right to you. Hingis also didn't hit it right to Venus' backhand, Venus was running in that direction, stopped in the middle of the court, took a step or two to her left, and hit the backhand blazer.

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Wimbledon 2000

WinningRecord
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:38 PM
So you're saying she didn't hit the ball right to her backhand? Please. Hingis could not have set that shot up on more of a silver platter. For all tennisIlove talks about Venus winning and losing all their matches, this match was definitely all up to Hingis and she blew it.

Venus earned that win because she was mentally stronger on the day, but that smash was ugly and so were the next four games. Certainly does not compare to the 99 semi.

Venus Forever
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:56 PM
So you're saying she didn't hit the ball right to her backhand? Please. Hingis could not have set that shot up on more of a silver platter. For all tennisIlove talks about Venus winning and losing all their matches, this match was definitely all up to Hingis and she blew it.

Venus earned that win because she was mentally stronger on the day, but that smash was ugly and so were the next four games. Certainly does not compare to the 99 semi.

Martina did hit the ball, almost directly to Venus, but where was Venus coming from, and where was Martina looking.

Venus was running all the way from the deuce side of the court, her forehand side, back to the middle of the court where she would be ready for the next shot.

Hingis was back peddling, three to four steps, and looking up in the air while Venus was running back to the middle. Martina didn't know where Venus was, nor should she have known.

Venus just outplayed Martina in that point, thanks to a beautiful lob.

Mister B
Nov 24th, 2003, 11:43 PM
I really don't think Martina choked during that match, she played absolutely great, but I admitt that after she was broken for 5-5, she pretty much gave up a bit because she knew Venus was unstoppable... I'm sad she didn't try a bit more, but it was still a classic!

but I have to say the overhead at 3-3 in the second set was terrible lolll.. even Martina laughed after it, she never misses them! That game was probably one of the best of the match!

Lady
Nov 24th, 2003, 11:46 PM
US Open 2000 That's the only one I saw :o
And i have it on tape :)

bandabou
Nov 24th, 2003, 11:48 PM
The ´00 U.S. open.....GREAT GREAT match. The smash was more difficult than it looked. The lob that Venus hit was BRILLIANT and plus Venus was already guessing to that corner.....you have to give it to her for that.

The way Venus stopped running, took the two steps and then whacked that backhand!! UNBELIEVABLE!!

MisterQ
Nov 24th, 2003, 11:50 PM
I have the clip on my computer. I re-watched it too.

Martina was two steps in front of the service line, but she had to to scoot back about three to four steps back to hit the overhead, which was in no man's land (the area of the court between the service and baseline.) Sure, it should have been routine, but going back for an overhead makes it harder than if it was hit right to you. Hingis also didn't hit it right to Venus' backhand, Venus was running in that direction, stopped in the middle of the court, took a step or two to her left, and hit the backhand blazer.

Would it be easy for you to post this clip? Would love to see it, as I don't have this match on tape. (I remember it was awesome though).

If not, no problem! :)

Venus Forever
Nov 25th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Would it be easy for you to post this clip? Would love to see it, as I don't have this match on tape. (I remember it was awesome though).

If not, no problem! :)

I don't know how to post a clip of it.

It was originally in another thread awhile ago, you should try to find it.

MisterQ
Nov 25th, 2003, 12:06 AM
OK thanks!

G_Slammed
Nov 25th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Favorite Hingis-V.Williams match?

Never took place. Why you ask?

Cause Hingis caught a bad case of rabbitintheass and retired.

lakeway11
Nov 25th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Australian Open 2001 SF Hingis 6-1, 6-1 of course :bounce:

Diya
Nov 25th, 2003, 01:58 AM
US Open 1997 :o

Australian Open 2001

Bagels and breadsticks galore :o :tape:

Infiniti2001
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:06 AM
US Open 1997 :o

Australian Open 2001

Bagels and breadsticks galore :o :tape:

Diya you are so predictable it's not even funny anymore :rolleyes:

Venus Forever
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:25 AM

It was once funny?? :eek:

:tape: :tape:

Diya
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:39 AM

:eek: But i was only answering the question :angel: :o . Besides i have always been a foodie and hence the love for bagels and breadsticks :angel:

;) :tape:

Venus Forever
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:41 AM
:eek: But i was only answering the question :angel: :o . Besides i have always been a foodie and hence the love for bagels and breadsticks :angel:

;) :tape:

Much like Jen, huh?? :tape:

Diya
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Much like Jen, huh?? :tape:

Nah like Venus (against Hingis ) :tape:

WinningRecord
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Diya, ignore them. They seem to travel in packs. :tape:

Anyway Hingis has served Venus up more breadsticks and bagels than I can take. :p

Jericho
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:48 AM

Anyway Hingis has served Venus up more breadsticks and bagels than I can take. :p

now that Hingis is retired, she will literally be serving Venus breadsticks and bagels at the local cafe, thank god for her Venus gives good tip :tape:

Diya
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:49 AM
now that Hingis is retired, she will literally be serving Venus breadsticks and bagels at the local cafe, thank god for her Venus gives good tip :tape:

You never know maybe Venus too will give up tennis for good and do what she was doin last week ...serving fries was it ? :tape:

Ballbuster
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:54 AM
You never know maybe Venus too will give up tennis for good and do what she was doin last week ...serving fries was it ? :tape:

Yeah, she did that for the kids, to help feed the needy. Venus is worth over $50 Million. How much is martina worth? Less than $10 million and now she's trying for broadcasting jobs. Sorry, Martina, Venus and Serena got those sewed up too.

Jericho
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:54 AM

Or maybe she can do what she's doing now...running her own business :tape:

Its okay hon, maybe one day you'll be qualified to serve fries, but you just stick to whoring yourself, its what you do best ;)

Diya
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Yeah, she did that for the kids, to help feed the needy. Venus is worth over $50 Million. How much is martina worth? Less than $10 million and now she's trying for broadcasting jobs. Sorry, Martina, Venus and Serena got those sewed up too.

and how much are you worth ? A dime ? or a nickle ?..... nah there i go overestimating people again .....a cent ? huh ? :tape:

Mister B
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Martina 10 million?? huh where does that come from??? she made almost 2 times that amount only in tournaments!

Infiniti2001
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:07 AM

Welcome back 5 zeros, not for long anyways --the mods will get ya soon :haha:

Martian Willow
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:12 AM
How much is martina worth? Less than $10 million

:haha:

:)

Venus Forever
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Nah like Venus (against Hingis ) :tape:

Actually, it's more like those breadsticks Stevenson handed Capriati, along with the leading H2H. :tape:

At least Venus was double bread-sticked by the top player in the world, but can we say the same about Jen?? :tape: :tape:

xr6turbo
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:59 AM
Actually, it's more like those breadsticks Stevenson handed Capriati, along with the leading H2H. :tape:

At least Venus was double bread-sticked by the top player in the world, but can we say the same about Jen?? :tape: :tape:

:haha: :tape:

SJW
Nov 25th, 2003, 12:09 PM
at the end of 02

Hingis had earned $18,344,660 (+$0 for 03)

Venus had earned $11,902,908 (+$1,126,555.00 for 03)

Serena had earned $10,041,992 (+$2,504,871.00 for 03)

Jennifer had earned $6,974,563 (+$1,942,015.00 for 03)

Anna had earned $3,517,390 (+$67,272.00 for 03)

Glenn
Nov 25th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Why aren't you in school? :p

moby
Nov 25th, 2003, 12:21 PM
i never had the fortune to watch either US semi :sad:
but from what i heard, US 99 = more quality
while US 00 = more drama
although both had plenty of quality and drama

Chance
Nov 25th, 2003, 12:50 PM
ahh ok this thread just confirms how addictive WTAworld is. Rocksteady/oooo, how many times have you been banned?

Wimbledon Quarterfinal 2000 was my favourite match.

Kart
Nov 25th, 2003, 01:17 PM
I'd probably pick the US open semi 2000 because I haven't seen all of the 1999 semi. Oz open is always good for a laugh because it was just such a mismatch.

The grand slam cup match was ok but not great. Ditto for Wimbledon although it was the major breakthrough match for Venus.

SJW
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Why aren't you in school? :p

i was on my lunchbreak :p

you still ill?! :p