PDA

View Full Version : Kim does it again

Mironia
Nov 23rd, 2003, 08:59 AM
It's a bad scheduling again. She is supposed to play Hopman Cup, Sydney and then Aus Open.

Let's compare schedule of big 4:

Justine: Sydney, Aus Open; 3 weeks in a row; possible # of matches:11

Serena: Hopman, Aus Open; 1 week, week off, 2 weeks; possible # of matches:11+4(doubles at HC)=15

Venus: Hong Kong ex, Aus Open; 3 days, week off, 2 weeks; possible # of matches:9+2(doubles at HK)=11

Kim: HC, Sydney, Aus Open; 4 weeks in a row; possible # of matches: 15+4(doubles at HC)=19
And she still may decide to play doubles at the Aus Open.

So she will play 4 weeks in a row at 40° C (105° F) and when she goes in the 2nd week at the Aus Open, she will be tired (mentally and phisically) and she will already pass the peak of her form.
I really thought her main goal for 2004 is to win a GS but with this schedule I'm pretty sure it won't be Aus Open.

tennnisfannn
Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:04 AM
The Hopman Cup is indoors. She may only play 4 matches at the HC. I do agree though that all those matches in the searing heat can take the bite out of anyone but at the same time those who don't acclamtise well may suffer from heat exhaution. Last year she had the same schedule and I don't think it was the no. of matches that affected her against serna but her own nerves. She started to tire towards miami.

Juju #1
Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:36 AM
That's the only thing she does: play, play and play. She doesn't understand the difference between exhibition, tier III or GS tournament...But I hope she will somehow stay fresh for AO.

kim&lleyton
Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:40 AM
I hope she will play well at all 4 tournaments.....
I do think that Kim needs to play enough matches to come back in her rithem.

Chance
Nov 23rd, 2003, 11:09 AM
Well Kim did well this year with that schedule...

Hagar
Nov 23rd, 2003, 11:20 AM
Kim is a player who needs matches more than practice. Just like Lleyton BTW; he played less this year and he did not fare too well.

Juju #1
Nov 23rd, 2003, 11:24 AM
Well Kim did well this year with that schedule...

Yes, she did...But she didn't win a GS and her schedule may be the reason. She played doubles in all GS, played every tournament before US Open, played 4 weeks in a row in Australia, Berlin and Rome before Roland Garros. Only for Wimbledon she had a normal schedule but only becouse grass season is very short.

maryjane
Nov 23rd, 2003, 11:56 AM
I think it's obvious she plays many tournies in australia...she wants to share her schedule with lleyton where she can and in australia she's this possibility...she has to think of her private life sometimes...then the heat won't be a problem...I mean she will be staying in australia since november...she'll be used to it!!!
and then...she does what she wants,mates!!!and she has already said she won't play doubles in GS so...no problem!!!

azza
Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:04 PM
Kim has a good schedule :)

bandabou
Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:12 PM
Sheīs already down there, so by January she may well get used to it. Plus....the girl needs her mate too.

And she wants the no.1 back and isnīt it like this that she earned the no.1?! Play, play, play?!

fifiricci
Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:13 PM
If her scheduling is so bad, how come she finished off the year so well? She was fresh as a daisy in Filderstadt and the WTA Champs. Kim's already said that she is going to address the GS "issue" by not playing dubs, so lets see how that goes next year!

Kim obviously has the physical capability to play a lot of Tournaments and she exploits that strength, so I dont know why you have to turn it into a problem!!

Mironia
Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:54 PM
If her scheduling is so bad, how come she finished off the year so well? She was fresh as a daisy in Filderstadt and the WTA Champs. Kim's already said that she is going to address the GS "issue" by not playing dubs, so lets see how that goes next year!

Kim obviously has the physical capability to play a lot of Tournaments and she exploits that strength, so I dont know why you have to turn it into a problem!!

I'm not turning anything into a problem. Human body is not a car which needs more mileage to perform better. At the rate Kim is going right now, she will burn herself out in a few years.

bandabou
Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:55 PM
Exactly....remember how everybody thought that Martinaīs body could take playing many matches?!

Hagar
Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:21 PM
Rather than talk about number of matches, we should talk about hours on the court. In that case, some girls with far less matches might overtake Kim!
How burnt can you get if the average time you spent on the court in the earlier rounds of a tourny is less than 50 minutes?
Anyway, Kim should do what she enjoys.
My feeling is that one of the things Kim needs to win a Slam, is a tough QF and SF. I guess that will come once the Willies are back on the tour.

Kart
Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:24 PM
I see nothing wrong with Kim's schedule.

She did fine with it this year. It is not the reason she didn't win a grand slam.

The only concern would be injury risk but she alone knows how much her body can really take.

Kart
Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:26 PM
I actually think Venus' schedule is more interesting - she's playing Tokyo straight after the Oz open so she'll practically be playing four out of five weeks in a row for the first time in ages :worship: :yeah:.

moby
Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:11 PM
venus will probably withdraw from something

bandabou
Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:24 PM
Nah, Venus has to build her rank back and she canīt gain at the Oz.

bandabou
Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:24 PM
You guys are right. Enough cake-walk draws for Kim. Give her a real test, to see if she CAN reach the finals.

-Sonic-
Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:58 PM
How related to the Fed Cup is the Hopman cup?

Is the only link between the two that they're both ITF events?

Is it not a tiny bit weird that she's playing HC but not the FC final?

Shows she wants to play for her country... sometimes ;)

skanky~skanketta
Nov 24th, 2003, 02:15 AM
well, i dont care how it is, i just want her to win a freakin slam next year. the faster, the better, so lets go with the AO!

esquímaux
Nov 24th, 2003, 02:29 AM
The Hopman Cup is indoors. She may only play 4 matches at the HC. I do agree though that all those matches in the searing heat can take the bite out of anyone but at the same time those who don't acclamtise well may suffer from heat exhaution. Last year she had the same schedule and I don't think it was the no. of matches that affected her against serna but her own nerves. She started to tire towards miami.

acclimatize :scratch:

bandabou
Nov 24th, 2003, 02:53 AM
Doesnīt matter.....Venus is gonna be aight. If not well, itīs the higher ranked player who should be worried.

Jericho
Nov 24th, 2003, 02:57 AM
so look who is scrambling for points now:).....
suddenly she has decided to play a Tier I realizing
tho there is only a week rest before she went for the Antwerp diamond raquet,
she might participate if she loses before 4R and doesnt play doubles,
otherwise i just think she's gonna pull out,
and i just dont see her getting enough pts to be seeded in TOP 8 at Miami
anyways, it'll still be interesting to see how she will go tho:)

Just so you know, there is a little less than a 200 point difference between #8 and Venus...all Venus has to do is equal her point total at Oz and Antwerp, and she can easily make up that 200 points between Tokyo and Dubai ;)

Knizzle
Nov 24th, 2003, 03:24 AM
I don't think that's too much for Clijsters. She had a good result with that schedule so she should keep it. The Hopman won't be strenuous tennis. It's not a real tournament so there won't be anything taken from Kim mentally. Sydney is on rebound ace so I see playing there as a plus. As long as she takes a couple weeks after the Aussie I don't see anything wrong with it.

drapero
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Kim's schedule probably wont change much
except she'll probably start dropping of Tier III tournies,
#1's have no business playing there taking prizemoney from
people who DO make a living by playing tennis,
and drop the doubles, that should cut her matches by at least 20/30 matches
good luck getting your first slam KIM:)

Kim is a #2 so she may have bussines playing Tier III

bandabou
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Remember that Kim isnīt alone on this world. So those tier III will probably remain on her list.

oddkayla
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:12 AM
I think the girl needs to back off from the rigourous scheduling.

I think its partly to blame for her not winning a slam. She cannot mentally go higher because of being out there so much.

She should really just play around 13 tournies + 4 GS.

bandabou
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:55 AM
You said it! But then we still got the Elke-problem....howīs she gonna get all those WCīs then?! :scratch:

Kart
Nov 24th, 2003, 11:14 AM

She will when she wins it.

Brαm
Nov 24th, 2003, 06:16 PM
You said it! But then we still got the Elke-problem....howīs she gonna get all those WCīs then?! :scratch:
Ooh! You keep posting the same over & over again! Don't you get bored?

bandabou = obsessed with Kim & Elke Clijsters

:wavey:

Pureracket
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure that a rigorous schedule stopped Kimmie from winning Slams this year. I can come up with the MAJOR three reasons, though:

1.Serena J. Williams
2. Venus E. S. Williams
3. Justine Henin-Hardine(sp?)

Rub
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Kim can do it! :bounce:

Whatzup
Nov 25th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Pff It's her decission, and I'm sure she knows what is the best for her. :D Kim needs matchrhythm and I'm sure she will do great at all the tournaments! :D

saki
Nov 25th, 2003, 11:44 AM
I would say that the point isn't so much that this sort of schedule will tire her out (evidence suggests otherwise - she looked like the only not tired player at the Champtionships), but that it prevents her working on her game. If you're continually preparing for tournaments/playing in them, you can't do any serious work on your technique and hence can't really improve. I doubt we'll ever see Clijsters doing what Justine did when she completely remodelled her serve, simply because Clijsters doesn't have the time to do it nor the chance to deal with the fact that it'll be a while before improvements are seen.

Fantastic
Nov 25th, 2003, 02:23 PM
What works for Serena, Justine and Venus, won't necessarily work for Kim. She's not as fragile as the other three and needs to get plenty of match-play under her belt for her to feel ready for the Slams. She's seen what has happened to Martina Hingis and hopefully won't repeat her mistakes, but Martina Hingis was never as sturdy as Kim. Her mistake was playing out of a sense of duty rather than entirely for herself - Hopman Cup for her country, Sydney for her clothing sponsor, and finally the AO for herself.

~|Naomi|~
Nov 26th, 2003, 04:00 AM
I doubt we'll ever see Clijsters doing what Justine did when she completely remodelled her serve, simply because Clijsters doesn't have the time to do it nor the chance to deal with the fact that it'll be a while before improvements are seen.

Actually the reason she will probably never do that is that physically she shouldn't with her shoulde rinjury which hasn't gone away it is a chronic injury. It will be with her her whole life. She has to have daily treatment to keep playing.

bandabou
Nov 26th, 2003, 04:24 AM
I'm not sure that a rigorous schedule stopped Kimmie from winning Slams this year. I can come up with the MAJOR three reasons, though:

1.Serena J. Williams
2. Venus E. S. Williams
3. Justine Henin-Hardine(sp?)

Uhum, uhum.....maybe that was the REAL problem. The same with Hingis after ī99 in a sense. She was always beating the players she was supposed to beat, but when the top-guns arrived she was no match for them.

Seems a lot like Kim to me. Serena and Venus, thatīs understandable.....but Justine?! A player she basically owned prior to say the French Open?! What happened?!

bandabou
Nov 26th, 2003, 04:27 AM
Ooh! You keep posting the same over & over again! Don't you get bored?

bandabou = obsessed with Kim & Elke Clijsters

:wavey:

Bram, but then it ainīt just me. EVERYBODY knows that the only reason Elke got all those WCīs(Leipzig and Luxembourgh, come to mind) was because Kim played there.

So if Kim goes on a less hardious-schedule, thus skipping some tier II/ IIIīs, me thinks little sis is gonna suffer for that.

I ainīt obsessed with no Kim.

Hurley
Nov 26th, 2003, 04:31 AM
bandabou, you're up very late, or very early.

bandabou
Nov 26th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Actually both....I should be asleep and I should be awake.

Hawk
Nov 26th, 2003, 05:02 AM

If you ain't obsessed with Kim then why do you end up in almost every single thread about her? :p

bandabou
Nov 26th, 2003, 05:10 AM
Ainīt it an open thread?! If the thread states a question, then I post to either agree or disagree with it. I do it with other players as well.

Nothing personal, just business as theyīd say in the Godfather.

Hawk
Nov 26th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Sure I'm not saying you can't comment on Kim or any other player, just pointing out the tendancy towards Kim ;)

bandabou
Nov 26th, 2003, 05:24 AM
Uhum, but that isnīt particularly a bad thing, is it?!

Knizzle
Nov 26th, 2003, 07:04 AM

Why can't she gain at the OZ, if she wins she can gain 300-400 points.

bandabou
Nov 26th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Yeah, I always seem to forget that the difference between finalist and winner is substantial.

Brαm
Nov 26th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Bram, but then it ainīt just me. EVERYBODY knows that the only reason Elke got all those WCīs(Leipzig and Luxembourgh, come to mind) was because Kim played there.

So if Kim goes on a less hardious-schedule, thus skipping some tier II/ IIIīs, me thinks little sis is gonna suffer for that.

Yeah duh! Of course Elke gets those WCs because of Kim. Those tournament directors are stupid I guess :p

Blame them! They're old enough to think for themselves!

bandabou
Nov 26th, 2003, 04:06 PM
I donīt think theyīre stupid percé, but well...sometimes for a tier III having a top 5( even no.1) player can be very prestigious, so I think theyīll bow to whatever demands...even if they donīt like to.