Vera will play:

$170,000 Gold Coast

then

$585,000 Sydney

then

Australian Open

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 23rd, 2003, 03:36 AM
I think it's a good move by Vera to play the Gold Coast, with she and Nadia both battling for that #12 seed. Bepa would probably have to go 2 rounds better than Nadia because her QF points from Auckland and Hobart will be coming off :(

Udachi Bepa

goldenlox
Nov 23rd, 2003, 03:39 AM
This year Vera got just over 100 points in January. And only played Memphis in February.
I think she'll maintain her ranking.
It will be hard for Vera to get into the top 10 before the RG points come off.
But if she plays well, she has a chance.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 23rd, 2003, 03:43 AM
She also has her points from Amelia Island/Bol coming off before Roland Garros. So a top 10 ranking before the French is unlikely :sad:

But perhaps some good performances at Indian Wells/Miami could push her close :)

goldenlox
Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:00 AM
Top 10 will be difficult for Vera. But being ranked around # 12 should give her slam draws where she will get to the second week.
Vera's still a teenager, so continued improvement is very probable.

Simply Orange
Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:14 AM
She also has her points from Amelia Island/Bol coming off before Roland Garros. So a top 10 ranking before the French is unlikely :sad:

But perhaps some good performances at Indian Wells/Miami could push her close :)
Bepa has big points to defend in Indian Wells, Charleston, Berlin and Bol... unless Bepa has a HUGE Aussie and mini-indoor season, she's not making Top 10.

goldenlox
Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:47 AM
From March on, Vera will be defending points. But these first 9 weeks, Vera has a chance at the top 10. She's going to have to move forward as a player. That's possible.

Simply Orange
Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:52 AM
Vera has a decent chance, still. :sad:

She's 430 points behind Ai... who has nothing until Scottsdale.

Chanda, who has a decent amount to defend...

Venus, who knows...

Bepa's best chance, and probably only chance to reach Top 10... is after Scottsdale, before her IW points come off.

goldenlox
Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:56 AM
She has to improve, or she doesn't deserve to be top 10. Besides Venus, Nadia isn't going away. And it's all up to Vera.
Vera might be happy to stay in the top 16. It pays well, and gets you in every tournament.
I want to see how her career develops. She doesn't have Lena's weapon.

Simply Orange
Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:09 AM
That's why I say that Bepa won't get much better than she is now. She doesn't have the weapons to beat the top players, unless they really play poorly against her.

goldenlox
Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:12 AM
Why do ys and Hurley think she'll be top 5? I think Vera has to improve. I'm not sure how she can do it.

Simply Orange
Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:16 AM
That's their opinion.

Once upon a time, Justine Henin had weaker shots... and won with her speed mostly. Justine improved on that. However, Justine had naturally very fine strokes. I don't think Bepa really lacks power... so, it won't be that easy.

ys has said that Bepa's main problem is mental. Yes, it has cost her matches this year... but I think she needs more than that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however.

goldenlox
Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:20 AM
I wonder if Venus won that RG match, if expectations would be so high.
Vera does hit the ball hard. Her on court blowups may be part of her personality. And never go away.

Simply Orange
Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:24 AM
No... I know Hurley has been high on Bepa for a while.

I just see Bepa as a consistent Top 20 player for a few years... not a contender in many GS's.

goldenlox
Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:28 AM
That's still a great place to be.
I think Fed Cup showed Vera has a ways to go to contend at majors.

Linzi
Dec 15th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Good luck Vera ;)
Vera needs to mature a bit, keep her emotions in check a bit more. I agree that after she beat Venus at RG, expectations were way too high.

Allez-H
Dec 29th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Hi, :wavey:
I'm new in the Vera-forum.I'm a huge Justinefan but I like Vera very much too.I really like her attitude on court and off court too.I really hope she'll do well next year and gets in too the top-ten

goldenlox
Dec 30th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Vera has a great opportunity to get near the top 10 in Melbourne.
But she has to get results before Indian Wells. From then on, Vera will be defending a lot of points.

ghosts
Dec 30th, 2003, 09:47 PM
c'mon Vera :D

Mathijs
Jan 3rd, 2004, 02:32 PM
Udachi Vera Good luck! :hearts: :drool: