PDA

View Full Version : Matches that affected the players for the rest of their careers

Doraemon
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:01 PM
The first one that comes to mind is the '93 FO QF Gaby lost to Mary Joe. It was just painful the way she let the huge lead slip and ended up losing. From then on, Gaby had a looong title drought until she finally won the YEC in '94. She went nearly two years without winning a title.. that was crazy for a player as consistent as Gaby up to that point.
I'm positive that match affected the rest of her career and had she won it, then she would have gotten some more GS titles under her belt.

I would like to know what you guys think of the infamous 93 Wimby Final. Do you think that match would have changed Jana's life as a whole if she hadn't choked it away? It was a huge relief that she after won it in the twilight stage of her career. I was very happy for her after choking twice big time!

Doraemon
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:03 PM
I think the 02 AO final really prompted Hingis' retirement in a way. She real should have won it just like she should have won the 99 FO final. I believe had she won either of them, she would be still playing.

LeonHart
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:04 PM
Yeah, the obvious one for Hingis was her '99 French Open loss. 5 Grandslam titles before that match, 0 after. :sad:

crazillo
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:05 PM
1993: jana novotna - steffi graf wimbledon

if jana would habve won this one, her nerces would have been much better and i am sure she would have had a better career

1993: magdalena maleeva - monica seles

it was my thread about ho affected it maleva, and it affected both of them for sure.

2001: kim clisters - jennifer capriati

after her first lost in a final kim never was that fresh like here.

1999: steffi graf - martina hingis

i think i donīt have to comment that.

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:15 PM
Justine vs Kim Berlin ī03. Me thinks that if Kim wins that match, Justineīs year would have been TOTALLY different, same for Kim.

Lita's Ex
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:35 PM
Definitely Hingis at the French against Steffi.

Iva was the never the same after winning the French.

Daja let the pressure get to her after beating Seles at the US open. She's never played that well again.

tennisIlove09
Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:08 PM
2001 US Open final Venus-Serena

(Serena didn't like losing in the finals; Venus didn't like beating lil' sis)

PointBlank
Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:12 PM
Jen's drought from the Aus '02 to New Haven '03

hey_britney
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:08 PM
Jen's drought from the Aus '02 to New Haven '03

but what match brought that on? this isn't about slumps, it's about specific matches leading to them.

spirlea-venus 97 USO.

capriati-serena rome SF 2002. (jennifer should've won, but blew another one against serena, and that was the match that forever shifted the balance of power between the two.)

conchita martinez granados-antonella serra zanetti 1r wimbledon 2003. (CMG's win forever vaulted her into the pantheon of greats.)

hey_britney
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:18 PM
And the most important one of all. Capriati-Seles AO 2001.

R&J
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:26 PM
And the most important one of all. Capriati-Seles AO 2001.
Yes, so true. That match gave Jenn the confidence that she could beat anybody. If she could beat Monica, then she could beat anybody. After that match fight, she went on to win the Aussie Open, the French Open - and won the Aussie again in 2002. WOW!

hey_britney
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:31 PM
In a couple of years we'll say: 2003 US OPEN 1/2F Capriati vs Henin.

If that is the stake in the heart for the Capster, yes.

Doraemon
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:32 PM
In a couple of years we'll say: 2003 US OPEN 1/2F Capriati vs Henin.

Ditto! I'm sure Jennifer heself with be regretting not closing it out!

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:33 PM
OBVIOUSLY maggie maleeva def monica seles hamburg STABBING

hey_britney
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:34 PM
OBVIOUSLY maggie maleeva def monica seles hamburg STABBING

Does that really count though? What happened there was unrelated to the tennis match, so it can hardly be counted as a turning point match in Monica's career. It was a crucial EVENT, yes.

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:37 PM
venus def kournikova 1998 miami final

Kart
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:39 PM
Wimbledon 1991 final for both of them.

crazillo
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:40 PM
Does that really count though? What happened there was unrelated to the tennis match, so it can hardly be counted as a turning point match in Monica's career. It was a crucial EVENT, yes.

i think it was a turning point for both of them. maggie was in a great shape and on a row, after that she didnīt do well in 1993.

tinkerbell
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:43 PM
Stevenson's wimbledon run to the semi finals. it certainly made her feel that she was a great player and up there with the best of them.
of course hingis v. graf was like the beginning of the end for Hingis

miranda_lou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:14 PM
I will always contend that the worse thing to happen to Alex Stevenson was getting to the semis of Wimbledon.:rolleyes: It swelled her head and swelled her crazy mother's head to the point where they stopped listening to anybody about Alex's game. They thought Alex was headed for the top without a pause and I think they were counting their millions.:lol:

A real shame. Now I think it might be too late for Stevenson's career. She'll never leave her Mama and get a real coach; she will forever think she is the second JLo; she still thinks she will become an "actress"; and she'll always believe that everybody in tennis is a racist.

The fact is, the poor dear will never be anything but "that tennis player who is (one of) Doctor J's bastard." :tape:

hey_britney
Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:34 PM
i think it was a turning point for both of them. maggie was in a great shape and on a row, after that she didnīt do well in 1993.

And then went on to much greater success the next three years before being hurt and then returning to glory again.

I don't see where it was a negative for her.

Ryan
Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:47 PM
Steffi Graf def. Natasha Zvereva RG 1988 final. Hmm, I think it was mainly the score of this match that altered Natasha's career. If it had gone ot three sets I would assume she'd have been alright, but that double bagel IMO made her a non-threat in singles and affected her confidence a lot.

fried_beans
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:12 PM
I think after the French Open final for some reason Conchita just stopped playing like a real top 10 player and never really had spectacular results like she did earlier in the year.

I think for ASV it might have been losing int he 2nd round of RG in 01 to Amy Frazier who isnt particualrly good on clay and ASV won the first set 6-1 and had won Madrid a week earlier