PDA

View Full Version : Mary Pierce Is Hitting Her Forehand As Hard as Serena Williams

anton
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:23 PM
I saw her Fed Cup matches this week and she is playing extremely well and looks great too.

But the story is she is hitting her forehand hard as the Williams.
GO MARY!! :wavey:

Doraemon
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:29 PM
I think her forehand is hit harder than Serena's but she's not as fast as Serena so she can rarely put herself in the position which allows her hit her forehand as hard as she can. Serena can hit it with more variety and accuracy like short angles. But when Mary is on, as we have witnessed in so many of her matches, her forehand is amazing..

anton
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:32 PM
Meghan did not have a chance today. Mary was smoking. It was like back in 1994 or 5 when Mary won the French Open.

Another note: Mary's current dress looks like Serena's one shoulder dress...

Tompier
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:35 PM
I think her forehand is hit harder than Serena's but she's not as fast as Serena so she can rarely put herself in the position which allows her hit her forehand as hard as she can. Serena can hit it with more variety and accuracy like short angles. But when Mary is on, as we have witnessed in so many of her matches, her forehand is amazing..

EXACTLY !!!!!!! :) :wavey:
:bounce: GO MARY :bounce:

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:35 PM
that's great! let's hope that she doesn't get injured next year :D!

azza
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:36 PM
Meghan did not have a chance today. Mary was smoking. It was like back in 1994 or 5 when Mary won the French Open.

Another note: Mary's current dress looks like Serena's one shoulder dress...

:confused: what do you mean she didnt have a chnace it was 8-6 in the 3rd if meghan didnt have a chance today then the scoreline would of been something like 6-2 6-2 :shrug:

anton
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:36 PM
who won the anna-carly match annaholic?

Berlin_Calling
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:37 PM
Yay. Allez Mary baby! :D:D

anton
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:38 PM
:confused: what do you mean she didnt have a chnace it was 8-6 in the 3rd if meghan didnt have a chance today then the scoreline would of been something like 6-2 6-2 :shrug:

Mary gave Megan a lot of points with errors. But when Mary had her back up against the wall shw always overpowered Meghan.

Meghan stayed in the match by running down a lot of balls but that is not going to work if somebody is hitting 100mph+ goundstrokes AND following them into the net as Mary was....

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:38 PM
who won the anna-carly match annaholic?
they haven't played yet :)

anton
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:41 PM
they haven't played yet :)
:rolleyes: ok i forgot its in the morning. i woke up at 5am to watch fed cup :o :wavey:

i wonder if the tennis chanell will show anna's match?? :bounce: :bounce:

Doraemon
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:42 PM
I have never seen Steffi totally outplayed apart from the '94 FO Mary/Steffi semifinal. I remember feeling scared to death as I really didn't think there was anyone other than the wounded Monica who could outhit Steffi. Mary did it mainly because of her HUUUUGE forehand with which she could hit winners from anywhere on the court. I had never seen Steffi looking so hopeless.

AjdeNate!
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:45 PM
I have never seen Steffi totally outplayed apart from the '94 FO Mary/Steffi semifinal. I remember feeling scared to death as I really didn't think there was anyone other than the wounded Monica who could outhit Steffi. Mary did it mainly because of her HUUUUGE forehand with which she could hit winners from anywhere on the court. I had never seen Steffi looking so hopeless.
Yes, I still remember vividly that match. Mary made Steffi look like #51, not #1 player that day.

anton
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:49 PM

Dont forget Mary Pierce took Serena Williams apart 6-2, 6-1 in Indian Wells a few years ago.

Serena looked like a junior player that day. Every shot Pierce hit kissed the lines. :worship:

Rolling-Thunder
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:03 PM
Every player has an off day. That day showed that the Serena that won the 1999 US Open was clearly not in shape nor match tough. It also showed that the Mary Pierce that was to win the 2000 French Open which was a shock was not an aberration. Mary clearly was playing some great tennis that spring.

anton
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:05 PM
I disagree. Mary was just better. Face it.
Also Pierce was hitting huge power long before Serena...

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:06 PM
Plus remember that Serena already dropped sets to Stevenson and Rita Grande....so it ainīt like sheīs been cruising during her matches. She clearly wasnīt in form. Not to take nothing away from Mary.

anton
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:09 PM
Sorry but if Serena is not in shape that is not Mary's fault.

Also I think the Williams sisters are more gracious these days so many their fans can be too...

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:11 PM
No one is being ungracious. Just a statement of facts.....just as Serenaīs 6-1 6-1 at the French, doesnīt mean THAT much...because Mary was just coming back as well.

Doraemon
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:12 PM
Having a bigger forehand doesn't necessarily mean having a better forehand. I believe Steffi's is the best ever though there have been many players who have possessed bigger ones. I think Serena has the better FH than Mary overrall just like Serena is the better player. But when we talk about how big they are respectively, I would go with Mary's. The only other player who I think posssses or possessed as big a FH as Mary is Lucic.

Evonne Goolagong
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:15 PM
Every player has an off day. That day showed that the Serena that won the 1999 US Open was clearly not in shape nor match tough. It also showed that the Mary Pierce that was to win the 2000 French Open which was a shock was not an aberration. Mary clearly was playing some great tennis that spring.

Having seen that match personally, I can tell you that Serena was not off. Mary did not let her into the match, she really cleaned her clock. I also agree that Mary does hit her forehand harder than the William sisters, the only person I think that does hit a harder forehand than Mary is Lucic.

anton
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:15 PM
No one is being ungracious. Just a statement of facts.....just as Serenaīs 6-1 6-1 at the French, doesnīt mean THAT much...because Mary was just coming back as well.

Like Serena said: "you have your information and I have mine."

Evonne Goolagong
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:16 PM
Having a bigger forehand doesn't necessarily mean having a better forehand. I believe Steffi's is the best ever though there have been many players who have possessed bigger ones. I think Serena has the better FH than Mary overrall just like Serena is the better player. But when we talk about how big they are respectively, I would go with Mary's. The only other player who I think posssses or possessed as big a FH as Mary is Lucic.

LOL, you hadn't post this when I started typing ( three minutes apart). :)

anton
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:17 PM
Having seen that match personally, I can tell you that Serena was not off. Mary did not let her into the match, she really cleaned her clock. I also agree that Mary does hit her forehand harder than the William sisters, the only person I think that does hit a harder forehand than Mary is Lucic.

thanks evonne. You are right on.

This is the top forehand power list:

1-Lucic
2-Pierce
3-Steffi
4-Venus
5-Serena
6-Davenport
7-Seles

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:26 PM
Like Serena said: "you have your information and I have mine."

What information is that?!

anton
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:27 PM
pertaining to me or serena?

Lita's Ex
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:30 PM

I think Mary has a bigger forehand than Serena's and also hits a cleaner ball (most of the time) from the forehand side than Serena. I say that based on matches I've seen from both and Mary's forehand winners just seem more memorable. Keep in mind that I'm saying this as a big fan of Serena's.

Doraemon
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:34 PM
I think Mary has a bigger forehand than Serena's and also hits a cleaner ball (most of the time) from the forehand side than Serena. I say that based on matches I've seen from both and Mary's forehand winners just seem more memorable. Keep in mind that I'm saying this as a big fan of Serena's.

It's good to see some Serena fans be so gracious and honest!
It's not like Serena does everything better than everyone else.
Kudos to you for admitting Mary is at least better than Serena in this department! :wavey:

Scotso
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:35 PM
Mary :D

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:37 PM
pertaining to me or serena?

Both. ;)

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:39 PM
Thatīs the thing. Serena isnīt the best at much, but she isnīt the worst either...she can do much of everything.

Only thing that Serenaīs the best without doubt is the serve.

Doraemon
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:40 PM
So it loosk like for one to be in the zone, the other has to be off more or less right?

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:42 PM
So it loosk like for one to be in the zone, the other has to be off more or less right?

Come again?! Who?! Serena, Mary?!

anton
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:45 PM
Both. ;)

the "information" qoute pertaining to:

Serena: she was talking about the ghetto and a reporter had information different from Serena's.

Me: does this need explaining?

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:49 PM
ah, that....man,you can come with some VERY old stuff. Almost forgot about that. Was waaayyyy back in ī98 and the guy still didnīt find out where the word ghetto came from. :lol:

Lita's Ex
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:51 PM
Thatīs the thing. Serena isnīt the best at much, but she isnīt the worst either...she can do much of everything.

Only thing that Serenaīs the best without doubt is the serve.

Awesome! That is the reality of Serena Williams. Physically, her quickness and her serve are better than most but in terms of best forehand, backhand, volley, drop shot and slice, my favorite isn't going to be in the running for the best of all time. I hope she knows that. ;)

However... :) ... when it comes to guts and determination, no comes close to Serena! Seles is up there but Serena leads the pack in the self-confidence dept in the WTA. You can outhit her, outrun her and also use all the prettiness of your game to try and beat her but Serena will demoralize you with her self-belief and run away with the match! :D

ali
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:59 PM
Talking about guts and determination - Mary was outstanding in that department today.
She was put in so many difficult situations mentally in the third set but managed to win through. :worship:

Back to the topic - Mary when playing like this, hits the ball as hard as anyone on tour. Her willingness to come to the net makes her even more dangerous IMO. She was outstanding today, lets hope she can carry this form through to 2004 :bounce:

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:08 PM
Awesome! That is the reality of Serena Williams. Physically, her quickness and her serve are better than most but in terms of best forehand, backhand, volley, drop shot and slice, my favorite isn't going to be in the running for the best of all time. I hope she knows that. ;)

However... :) ... when it comes to guts and determination, no comes close to Serena! Seles is up there but Serena leads the pack in the self-confidence dept in the WTA. You can outhit her, outrun her and also use all the prettiness of your game to try and beat her but Serena will demoralize you with her self-belief and run away with the match! :D

Exactly! Serena DOES NOT know the word: DOUBT! If she puts her mind to it, sheīs gonna do it! Simple!

jenny161185
Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:51 PM
I could watch Mary hit Forehands all day - Good luck to her next year . OFF TOPIC Athenaeum I love your aviater!

CanadianBoy21
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:02 PM
Mary hits a far harder forehand and better one than Serena, but only stationary.
Mary struggles with movement and she makes a lot of errors. When she is on, she is though to take out though. She is kind of like Lindsay. Give her a ball to her, and she'll smack it most likely for a winner.
Give her a ball to run for and she won't be that effective.

I REALLY like May Pierce. She is a fighter, and I never lost hope in her (even when she was trounced 6-0 6-0 vs Jen year or so ago).
If she gets fitter, stays injury free, stays mentally strong, she will be undoubtly up there with Venus, Serena, Kim, Justine and Lindsay.

Tratree
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:16 PM
Yeah, Serena wasn't hitting errors, Mary was hitting winners everywhere in that match in IW. One of the best displays of "Whoop Ass" that I've ever seen. Then she lost to Hingis rather easily in the semis :shrug:

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:33 PM
Everybody can hit the ball hard when in position, itīs when you are out of position that youīve to be able to do it.

Whatīs the use of being able to hit it hard, when you canīt hit hard out of position?! No one is gonna give you the ball right in your hitting zone.

Doraemon
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:42 PM
Everybody can hit the ball hard when in position, itīs when you are out of position that youīve to be able to do it.

Whatīs the use of being able to hit it hard, when you canīt hit hard out of position?! No one is gonna give you the ball right in your hitting zone.

Even in the right position, you can make errors. Mary actually can hit more winners than errors when she's in the position. that makes her the harder hitter than Serena. Lucic may qualify in a way but she's just way too inconsistent to be even compared.
Efficiency wise, Lindsay's FH is the best when hit from the right position in my opinion.

Declan
Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:01 PM

And even Serena admitted afterwards that she'd played well but had simply been outplayed, didn't she?

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:04 PM
Even in the right position, you can make errors. Mary actually can hit more winners than errors when she's in the position. that makes her the harder hitter than Serena. Lucic may qualify in a way but she's just way too inconsistent to be even compared.
Efficiency wise, Lindsay's FH is the best when hit from the right position in my opinion.

You said IN position...and that happens like once or twice in a match.

for-sure
Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:56 PM
I saw Mary at an event this year...I sat behind her and does she EVER hit her forehand clean. It was so beautiful to watch. Her preperation and shoulder-turn (along with her point of contact) are perfect! The ball flew like a missle off her raquet.

spencercarlos
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:22 PM
thanks evonne. You are right on.

This is the top forehand power list:

1-Lucic
2-Pierce
3-Steffi
4-Venus
5-Serena
6-Davenport
7-Seles
Sorry Anton.. LOL at Having Venus ahead of Serena and Lindsay in this category :p

CanadianBoy21
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:25 PM
I saw Mary at an event this year...I sat behind her and does she EVER hit her forehand clean. It was so beautiful to watch. Her preperation and shoulder-turn (along with her point of contact) are perfect! The ball flew like a missle off her raquet.

What's ironic is that Mary's forehand to Venus' is inferior when they played. I remember two finals in two weeks in 1999, and Venus smoked her with the forehand. So I guess Venus hits harder when she is on.
But then again the problem is being on. Venus has shown she cannot do it with her forehand consistently, Lucic has shown it, etc...
Mary is a beauty to watch when she is on, but that can be said about 250 players. It's about consistency. But this thread is not about that. so, never mind.
:lol: :topic: :lol:

anton
Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:40 PM
cnandian boy, venus moves better than mary and serves better. this is why venus can set up and hit out.

this is also the problem venus has against serena. Serena gets venus out of position and then venus makes a forehand error. venus needs to try some different tactics to get serena out of her zone...

saby
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:01 PM
Guys,

I don't who's got the best forehand or whatever, but I remember Martinis Hingis saying during an interview : "Mary has got the best backhand on the tour, when she is in a good day you can't do nothing against her"

:angel: :angel: :angel:

Tompier
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:26 PM
Guys,

I don't who's got the best forehand or whatever, but I remember Martinis Hingis saying during an interview : "Mary has got the best backhand on the tour, when she is in a good day you can't do nothing against her"

:angel: :angel: :angel:

You are so right !!!! :hearts: I Love to watch Mary's backhand :hearts:
All of her shots are amazing :) :) :)

:bounce: GO MARY :bounce:

lee station
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:43 PM

However... :) ... when it comes to guts and determination, no comes close to Serena! Seles is up there but Serena leads the pack in the self-confidence dept in the WTA. You can outhit her, outrun her and also use all the prettiness of your game to try and beat her but Serena will demoralize you with her self-belief and run away with the match! :DI know it's a bit off-topic but I liked this post of yours. :)

spencercarlos
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:56 PM
cnandian boy, venus moves better than mary and serves better. this is why venus can set up and hit out.

this is also the problem venus has against serena. Serena gets venus out of position and then venus makes a forehand error. venus needs to try some different tactics to get serena out of her zone...
That`s not the problem for Venus, because Venus has a great movement, Venus main problem on the forehand side is her too big of a swing, that makes her have troubles on deep power shots on that side, she normally hits wide most of the time (when she tries to hit it back hard), or she ends up hitting a short ball. That does not happens to Venus in her backhand.