PDA

View Full Version : Dokic for Serbia and Montenegro or Australia?

©@®eLess
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:58 PM
So what do you think will she play FedCup for Aussies or for Serbia. She has to get to Olympics. Will she choose World Group over Euro/African I
or she has some other motives?

Doraemon
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:16 PM
Is Serbia and Montenegro formerly known as Former Yougoslavia? I have just recently started hearing the name.. so I'm confused.

PointBlank
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:56 PM
Yea

hey_britney
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:19 PM
Is Serbia and Montenegro formerly known as Former Yougoslavia? I have just recently started hearing the name.. so I'm confused.

It is one part of the former Yugoslavia.

I think Dokic is leaning to going back to the welcoming arms of the Aussies.

CanadianBoy21
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:22 PM
If she thinks of going to Ausralia it would be smart to play under Australia.
Just think about it. If she goes and plays for Serbia and Montenegro that would signify that she is Serbian, and cannot expect to get cheers, instead she'll get jeers.
Either way she'll get booed I think.
People like drama, so that's my opinion.

jd4eva
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:37 PM
I agree with hey_britney. I think with her decision to play in Australia that she's leaning towards representing Australia.

PointBlank
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:52 PM

I think Yugoslavia seperated in 3 parts , if I am correct:
Serbia and Montenegro
The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
Bosnia and Herzegovina

bmxbandit
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:01 PM
Yall need a history lesson, lol
The old, former Yugoslavia split into these:
Yugoslavia (which consisted of Serbia and Montenegro)
Croatia
Slovenia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Macedonia

And not too long ago, Yugoslavia changed the name to Serbia and Montenegro.

PointBlank
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:05 PM
Hey! I got them all right exept I didnt add Croatia and Slovenia

rada
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:37 PM
oz or serbia it would be good for to play fed cup

Vicky88
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:54 PM
If her aim to play at the Olympics next year, I believe she will not play under the Australian flag because she is ineligible for selection as she has not made herself available for Fed cup. I could be wrong though, but this is what I remember from previous discussions on the matter.

Veritas
Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:46 AM
This is interesting b/c I've always noticed that many "immigrant" sports figures in Australia are more often than not have a strong emotional linkage with their parent's country of birth/background. And it's not just the sportsmen, it's many other "non-Australian" people as well. For example, back in high school, many of the Italians would proudly declare their Italian heritage and during the World Cup, it was all cheers for the Italians and jeers for Australia's failure to qualify.

My point is that I reckon Jelena will represent Australia for the sole purpose of her tennis career. But whether she thinks of herself as an "Aussie" is open to debate (I have a feeling that Jelena sees herself as a Serbian).