PDA

View Full Version : The most in-the-zone performance you've seen

moby
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:36 AM
We know what in-the-zone means... a state which an athlete is in where he/she is simply untouchable

so what was the best in-the-zone performance you've seen?
it doesnt have to be the entire match
it can be for a set or something

the first one that comes to mind is serena d. martina at USO 01
100% first serves in the second set winning 16/17, that's just incredible

Chance
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:42 AM
Serena against Daja 4th Round USOPEN 2002

I knew after that match no one was going to stop Serena from winning th USOPEN...

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:44 AM
Yeah, I´ve two in-zone perfomances coming in mind when discussing Serena.

vs Hingis at the U.S. open´01. Sure got her revenge for ´01 Oz open.
vs Momo at Wimbledon´02. Man, when she´s in that zone...hard to imagine ANYBODY beating her.

Ballbuster
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:47 AM
You named them already. Those beat down of Martina and Momo.

V&SGotItGoingOn
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:47 AM
I would have to say Serena vs. Mauresmo at Roland Garros this year. I think she was so mentally prepared at the point of the tournament.

spencercarlos
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:49 AM
Pierce def Graf RG 94... no one has ever played like that against Steffi.. Mary was even winning some points by coming to the net :o

GoDominique
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:54 AM
I agree with sunset. Serena def. Daja Bedanova 6-1 6-1, 4th round US Open 2002.
Daja played quite well in that match and tried to serve-and-volley, but Serena was ruthless and simply blew her off the court.

And yes, Mary trouncing Steffi was quite stunning too. :eek:

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:56 AM
Seems like Serena´s been on a tear since ´01, like four in-the-zone perfomances since ´01 alone!!

And when she´s in the zone it´s like 6-2 6-1. See you later!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:29 AM
Lindsay Davenport d. Patty Schnyder @ 2003 Charleston, 6-1 6-1.

She had something like 4 or 5 times as many winners as unforced errors. Patty was just kinda smiling and shrugging her shoulders towards the end. Absolutely brilliant stuff...

Mark43
Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:37 AM
Without a doubt the greatest (but not the most frequent) zone player of all time is Mary Pierce.

Her greatest zone performance is her 2 and 2 thrashing of Steffi Graf in the 1994 French Semis. Moinca NEVER CAME CLOSE to beating Steffi like that, neither did Navratilova or Evert. Simply unbelievable.

She zoned again in spring 2000 over Seles + ASV. but nothing compares to that win over Graf. NOBODY has EVER beaten Steffi like that, before or since.

Utterly AMAZING!

Knizzle
Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:42 AM
Venus' third set at Wimbledon 2001 final. It was scary the way she closed out that match. You could tell she was racing through it on purpose.

Serena at Charleston this year vs. Davenport for a set and half Serena couldn't miss. Everything she did turned to gold. It was amazing.

Justine Henin at the US Open final 2nd set. She had all the shots and didn't give Kim much of a chance.

Just to name a few.....

Knizzle
Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:43 AM
Lindsay Davenport d. Patty Schnyder @ 2003 Charleston, 6-1 6-1.

She had something like 4 or 5 times as many winners as unforced errors. Patty was just kinda smiling and shrugging her shoulders towards the end. Absolutely brilliant stuff...

I remember this. Davenport told her that she wanted revenge from the Zurich final in 2002 when they shook hands at the net.

Doraemon
Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:44 AM
Mary Pierce demolishing Steffi Graf in '94 FO Semi.

Tratree
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:50 AM
Without a doubt the greatest (but not the most frequent) zone player of all time is Mary Pierce.

Her greatest zone performance is her 2 and 2 thrashing of Steffi Graf in the 1994 French Semis. Moinca NEVER CAME CLOSE to beating Steffi like that, neither did Navratilova or Evert. Simply unbelievable.

She zoned again in spring 2000 over Seles + ASV. but nothing compares to that win over Graf. NOBODY has EVER beaten Steffi like that, before or since.

Utterly AMAZING!
Agreed, Mark.

I was fortunate to witness Mary's demolition of Serena 6-2, 6-1 in 2000 at Indian Wells. Also, that same year her week at Family Cup was incredible domination.

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:52 AM
2003: Myskina in Moscow

Least no of games dropped per set/per title this year.

Overall, Pierce in Charleston 2000 was impressive, but then you go back to the Seles days in 1991-1992.

hey_britney
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:00 AM
Davenport-Hingis AO final. that was two points from being tying the record for most lopsided AO final ever. Lindsay watched it slip away for a while before regaining herself, but it was an amazing performance at the best possible time.

the aforementioned Pierce-does-Charleston 2000 run was amazing too. arantxa really didn't play badly, mary just never missed. and i watched the seles match, but the only recollection i have of it is mary's brother (who was coaching her at the time) saying the winner would be whoever moves the other one around more.

Serena's last US open victory was as good as she's ever played all the way through.

There was the Seles thrashing of Hingis in 1998 at the French.

hey_britney
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:01 AM
2003: Myskina in Moscow

Least no of games dropped per set/per title this year.

Overall, Pierce in Charleston 2000 was impressive, but then you go back to the Seles days in 1991-1992.

did Monica ever have a tournament that was as impressive as Charleston? Mary tied the Chris Evert record for fewest games lost at that event ... she dropped like ...12 or so.

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:02 AM
did Monica ever have a tournament that was as impressive as Charleston? Mary tied the Chris Evert record for fewest games lost at that event ... she dropped like ...12 or so.

Monica, Rome 1991, how many games she dropped then?

gRaFiC
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:09 AM
Steffi defeated Arantxa 6-0. 6-2 at Aus Open 1994. Steffi said it was the closest she'd been to perfection. Arantxa said "What was I supposed to do? She was killing me."

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:12 AM
The best in the zone for a single match:

Dokic def Hingis 6-2, 6-0
Hingis def Coetzer 6-1, 6-0, chess at it's best :worship:

spencercarlos
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:15 AM
You probably meant for Sabatini Rome 91 :p

faboozadoo15
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:18 AM
monica 98 french def hingis-- nobody had beaten martina like that...
monica def martina n 90 rome 6-1 6-1.. monica says that that was the best complete match she played, and martina was baffled.
monica def jenn 90 french after practically every tennis writer picked jenn.

dokic over hingis at wimbledon

Mark43
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:21 AM
Steffi defeated Arantxa 6-0. 6-2 at Aus Open 1994. Steffi said it was the closest she'd been to perfection. Arantxa said "What was I supposed to do? She was killing me."

Yeah, this was definetly right up there in the pantheon of 'zoning'. Absolutely. Just think how ASV ended the year...at number 1 (don't go by the rankings!).

But I still think the best sheer single zone performance is Pierce over Graf in 94. It was devastating and never replicated. She was killing Steffi's first serve.

vogus
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:32 AM
Dementieva beating Davenport in this year's Amelia Island final. Davenport played great and you couldn't believe that Dementieva was hanging with her.

In the AI match where Davey beat Patty 6-1 6-1, Davey played good but Patty played like crap, it was one of those matches where she didn't really show up. So she made it easy for Linzi. Trust me i have it on tape.

Davenport was in the zone in the AO match against Henin from 2-4 down in the second set until 4-1 up in the third. That's probly the best i've ever seen Linzi playing.

Mark43
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:35 AM
In the AI match where Davey beat Patty 6-1 6-1, Davey played good but Patty played like crap, it was one of those matches where she didn't really show up. So she made it easy for Linzi. Trust me i

Uh, yeah...okay, but, uh...we are talking 'zone' here. Not 'Davey played good, but Patty played crap'.

HELLO!

Martian KC
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:37 AM
Martina H in Australian Open semis 2001

Knizzle
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:40 AM
Martina H in Australian Open semis 2001

You are so predictable. I knew you would mention Hingis beating Venus at the Aus Open. The obsession continues.

Martian KC
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:43 AM
I didn't know we couldn't have our own opinion here.:confused::rolleyes:

Knizzle
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:45 AM
I didn't know we couldn't have our own opinion here.:confused::rolleyes:

You are definitely entitled to your opinion and I respect it, but it was just predictable. As I said, the obsession continues. ;)

bw2082
Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:10 AM
Martina Hingis 1999 US open SF 1st set vs. Venus

skanky~skanketta
Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:19 AM
if in the zone just means that the player was definitely gonna win, i'd say serena def momo at RG this year. i still cant get that look on her face off my mind!it was scary!total determination!

Martian KC
Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:58 AM
You are definitely entitled to your opinion and I respect it, but it was just predictable. As I said, the obsession continues. ;)

It seems the obsession lies within you. You seem to follow my every step.:o

TNT96
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:10 AM
SABATINI beat Seles in the finals of Rome 1992 75//64
SABATINI beat Seles in the finals of Rome 1991 63//62

As far as an "in the zone player"
Best one Mary Pierce beating Graf in the 1994 Open
Sabatini beating Davenport at VS Champiionship 1994 end of season

Trish101
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:23 AM
id have to agree with most of you, Mary in Charleston was MAGNIFIC!

gmak
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:43 AM
mary's performance against steffi in 1994 was simply amazing :drool: she made steffi look like a practice partner :o

also her demolition of serena at IW 2000 and that of monica/arantxa in AI 2000 were also worth mentioning :)

also monica's drubbing of hingis at the 1998 FO semis was incredible :eek: martina was almost unbeatable at the time and monica had just lost her father

gmak
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:45 AM
i almost forgot

hingis 1st set against venus at the 1999 US OPEN semi is the best i've ever seen from her

Sam L
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:49 AM
Mary Pierce demolishing Steffi Graf in '94 FO Semi.
This one gets my vote especially considering that Steffi had won the last 4 slams and it looked like no one was going to challenge her at the french open.

I had a good feeling about Mary all through that tournament and it's a shame that she didn't win it, but 2000 made up for it.

Gallofa
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:56 AM
I agree about Mary. Her run to the final of RG'94 and the spring of 2000 were amazing.

Of the ones I have seen, I remember Serena vs. Maggie at Wimbledon 2001, Serena won 6-2 6-1 and Maggie was playing a great game! going to the net, volleying, serving well, passing Serena a few times at the net... and getting trashed, virtually blown out of the court.

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:03 AM
dokic d hingis wimbledon
dementieva d davenport amelia island

minboy
Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:34 AM
JUstine henin def. Jenn Cap. WImbledon 1/2 2001, from de middle of the second set to the end of the match, justine was just "intouchable", even Jenn recognize there was nothing she could have done against her.

NicoMary
Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:46 AM
Pierce beat Serena Williams :eek: quarterfinal indianwells 2000

Goal_Post
Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:51 AM
Jen def. Pierce 6-0 6-0

Glenn
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:00 AM
Jen def. Pierce 6-0 6-0
I wouldn't mention this, it's not like Mary Pierce was actually competing, she was missing every shot.
Jennifer played average to good.

dreamgoddess099
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:24 AM
Serena beats Pierce 6-1, 6-1 in Quarterfinals of FO 2002. Serena was hitting acute crosscourt angles from well behind the baseline and returning Mary's serve faster than Mary was serving it.

Serena 6-1 first set win over Lindsey at FCC 03. Serena was repeatedly hitting return winners of Lindsey's FIRST serve. Which, BTW, is considered to be one of the bests on tour.

Lien
Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:20 AM
Venus beating Kim at Wimby, after that rainbreak Venus played on a cloud, everything worked.

SM
Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:44 AM
jelena dokic has a few.

WHEN she is on it can be such exhilirating power tennis..

1) d Venus at rome 2000: it was incredible. venus wasnt in good form, but even when venus stepped it up in some stages of the match jelena would b!tch slap venus with winner after winner...the kind of tennis jelena was playing was very low percentage and as there record indicates its not something jelena can pull off against a player like venus too often

2) d hingis 6-2 6-0 at wimbeldon. again hingis didnt look herself, but who would when you are top seed and in total shock at how an unseeded qualifier is slamming the ball on every inch of the court, coming in to volley, and hitting exquisite drop shots.

3) d aranxta sanchez at hopman cup 99. havent seen the match in ages but the 6-3 6-2 scoreline probably doesnt reflect the amount of ass slamming jelena was doing in the match as a person ranke doutside the top 350 against the world no.4!

Experimentee
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:29 PM
Serena and Pierce are the best zone players currently playing. When they are on they are just untouchable.
Another Serena match I'd add was when she defeated Raymond 6-1 6-1 in the Wimby QF in 2001. Raymond was just blown away and after teh match said there was nothing she could do.

gmak
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:45 PM
actually that was the 2000 QF and the score was 6-2 6-0 ;)

the strange thing is that serena was playing fantastic tennis to reach the semis and nobody thought she could lose to venus but she didn't play that well and even burst into tears

some idiots said that richard told her to lose so that venus could win her first slam :rolleyes:

Linzi
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:56 PM
Hingis v Seles Miami 2000, 6-0, 6-0
Serena v Henin 2003 Wimbeldon

manu
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:59 PM
Dokic d. Venus Rome 2000 6-1 6-2
Dokic d. Hingis Wimbledon 1999 6-2 6-0

Sammm
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:04 PM
I would say Serena v Henin at wimby if serena hadn't had that little slip in the first set.

Sammm
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:05 PM
Martina beat Monica 6-0, 6-0. :mad: Don't mention it!

irma
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:17 PM
steffi key biscane 93 semis 6:0 6:2 over Sabatini after 8 matches over 5 years it was a true pay back :devil:

I am sure Kart still has nightmares :p ;)

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:20 PM
Yeah, if Serena didn´t have the slip-up in the first set that would have been SOME "in-the-zone" perfomance! I for sure thought Justine was gonna get bageled.

bandabou
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:20 PM
steffi key biscane 93 semis 6:0 6:2 over Sabatini after 8 matches over 5 years it was a true pay back :devil:

Well worth the waiting, huh girlie?! :lol:

spencercarlos
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:35 PM

This was a bad match Gaby :rolleyes:. you say over 5 years, probably you meant it took 5 hours due to the rain delays the had that day. :p I had it taped ;)

shap_half
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:48 PM
Justine d. Clijsters RG F
Justine d. Clijsters US F

Kim is notorious for having poor starts to her matches and what not and it usually takes a while for Kim to get started if her opponent is playing well. But Justine didn't even let Kim get in her own groove. It's like Kim is trying to find a rythm but Justine wouldn't give it to her at the RG F. Justine was just focused to win that title and she did not give anything away.

At the USO F, Justine knew she was not as fresh as Kim to win the GS in three sets, so with two set points against her she blasted that ace and it was ova!!!!

rikvanlooy
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Justine d. Clijsters RG F
Justine d. Clijsters US F

Kim is notorious for having poor starts to her matches and what not and it usually takes a while for Kim to get started if her opponent is playing well. But Justine didn't even let Kim get in her own groove. It's like Kim is trying to find a rythm but Justine wouldn't give it to her at the RG F. Justine was just focused to win that title and she did not give anything away.

At the USO F, Justine knew she was not as fresh as Kim to win the GS in three sets, so with two set points against her she blasted that ace and it was ova!!!!

IMHO, the best that Justine has ever played was against Safina at the US Open. Until the crowd got behind Safina and Justine got rattled by it (still a point of improvement for Justine) I couldn't believe the way she was playing. Several times I used my VCR to watch a point over and over again.

I think this was because she was very relaxed by the pre match music and overall surroundings. If Justine is able to play like that in all of her matches she looks virtually unbeatable. It's a pity this doesn't happen all that often. The mental aspects of tennis are extremely important. You have to be relaxed enough to be able to play all your shots.

That match convinced me that she is one of the most talented tennis players that there have ever been.

oddkayla
Nov 24th, 2003, 11:13 AM
The best tennis I ever saw from Venus came at the Semifinals, Acura Classic 2001, against Lindsay Davenport. For the first set and a half, she played the most amazing tennis. Her returns, her serve, and the look on her face!

I still watch it sometimes to remember what she can do.

Another is Serena against Martina USO 2001 semis. The second set, I do not think she will ever play like that. She played out of her skin, and I think she even shocked herself. Martina certainly was shocked.

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 24th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Seles was in the zone, Acura Classic 2001.

*hingis_forever*
Nov 24th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Hantuchova d. Hingis IW 2002
She hasn't played that well since.

Kart
Nov 24th, 2003, 11:19 AM

He certainly does :explode: ;).

Allez-H
Nov 24th, 2003, 12:00 PM
IMHO, the best that Justine has ever played was against Safina at the US Open. Until the crowd got behind Safina and Justine got rattled by it (still a point of improvement for Justine) I couldn't believe the way she was playing. Several times I used my VCR to watch a point over and over again.

I think this was because she was very relaxed by the pre match music and overall surroundings. If Justine is able to play like that in all of her matches she looks virtually unbeatable. It's a pity this doesn't happen all that often. The mental aspects of tennis are extremely important. You have to be relaxed enough to be able to play all your shots.

That match convinced me that she is one of the most talented tennis players that there have ever been.
That was an amazing match.I mean the first eleven games were absolutly perfect.Every single shot in the book was in it,she was playing like she had never played before(that's what she also said in her press-conference).She just showed in that match that she has it all:forehand,backhand,serve,volleys,power,touch,re turn(she was returning like hell,there was this game that she won on love enterly by hitting returnwiners )that's why I think(and everyone who doesn't agree with me should watch that match)that she's one of the most talented players, if not the most talented player of this generation.
BTW:Also a couple of in-the-zone performances by Justine:FO-final against Kim(especially that first set,FO 4th round match against Radriantefy,Quarterfinalmatch at Wimbledon 2001 against Martinez.

Je_ne_sais_quoi
Nov 24th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Queen Mary!
Her match in Roland Garros 2000 against Hingis.
SHe was simply too good.

Not forgetting Hilton Head 2000,
She dropped the least no. of games and even 6-0 6-0 ASV

rikvanlooy
Nov 24th, 2003, 12:15 PM
That was an amazing match.I mean the first eleven games were absolutly perfect.Every single shot in the book was in it,she was playing like she had never played before(that's what she also said in her press-conference).She just showed in that match that she has it all:forehand,backhand,serve,volleys,power,touch,re turn(she was returning like hell,there was this game that she won on love enterly by hitting returnwiners )that's why I think(and everyone who doesn't agree with me should watch that match)that she's one of the most talented players, if not the most talented player of this generation.
BTW:Also a couple of in-the-zone performances by Justine:FO-final against Kim(especially that first set,FO 4th round match against Radriantefy,Quarterfinalmatch at Wimbledon 2001 against Martinez.

We think alike. :wavey: :wavey:

I remember those returns. They were just amazing. Safina couldn't believe her eyes. She was ready to start cryi :sobbing: ng.

I wonder how it's possible to play like that. :bounce:

fleemke³
Nov 24th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Serena against Mauresmo at the French Open
Justine against Kim second set final Usopen

Justine agianst Safina was indeed also amazing :cool:

rikvanlooy
Nov 24th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Serena against Mauresmo at the French Open
Justine against Kim second set final Usopen

Justine agianst Safina was indeed also amazing :cool:

:worship:

:bounce:

:wavey:

Keith
Nov 24th, 2003, 03:47 PM
A few of the mentioned matches include the loser being hampered by an injury or just average to poor play.

I did not see most of the matches mentioned above, but I will say that Jen's 64 63 victory over Martina in AO '01 was pretty darn close to perfection. From the first few games, it was clear that Jen would deliver her first slam title. A minor hiccup at the end of the first set, but Jen played nearly flawless tennis that day!

alfajeffster
Nov 24th, 2003, 04:19 PM
1991 U.S. Women's Hardcourt Final (San Antonio)

Steffi Graf and Monica Seles were both playing in the zone this day- and Steffi dusted Monica's clock in straight sets!

CapFan#1
Nov 24th, 2003, 04:23 PM
A few of the mentioned matches include the loser being hampered by an injury or just average to poor play.

I did not see most of the matches mentioned above, but I will say that Jen's 64 63 victory over Martina in AO '01 was pretty darn close to perfection. From the first few games, it was clear that Jen would deliver her first slam title. A minor hiccup at the end of the first set, but Jen played nearly flawless tennis that day!

Couldnt agree more!! :bounce: Jen played just flawless tennis in that match against the world #1 player.

One match that was even better than that was Cappy's victory over Hingis at the 2001 FO semis. Great power clay court tennis!

Fyndh0rnElf
Nov 24th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Dokic hammers Venus 6-1 6-2 Rome 2000

Venus said: "...and it was all I could do to stay in the match..."

raquel
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Utterly AMAZING!
Arantxa beat Graf in 1991 6-0, 6-2. It was not as flashy or spectacular as Mary's win, but a good achievement to beat Steffi by that margin. Arantxa is the only player to have ever bagelled Graf twice. I also think Coetzer beat Graf 6-0, 6-1. Obviously ASV and Amanda are more defensive than Mary, but its worth mentioning that two people actually beat Steffi while losing less games.

I think the most in the zone I have seen was Serena against Mauresmo at last years Wimbledon. Amelie did not get close. It was not a tennis match it was a performance!

Knizzle
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Dokic hammers Venus 6-1 6-2 Rome 2000

Venus said: "...and it was all I could do to stay in the match..."

IT being??

Fyndh0rnElf
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:36 PM
IT being??

Scoring 3 games:silly:

She basically said she gave it all but Dokic just rolled :drive: past her

for-sure
Nov 24th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Amelie def Jenn at wimbledon QF 2002. Amelie was perfect.

1st Set Justine Against Serena SF RG 2003. I had never seen anyone bitch-slap Serena around the court so much as in the first set.

tennisIlove09
Nov 24th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Serena:
def. Hingis 6-3 6-2 US Open 01 SF
def. Mauresmo 6-1 6-2 Paris 03 QF
def. Henin-Hardenne 6-3 6-2 Wimbledon 03 SF

Venus:
6-2 4-1; against Hingis 99 Grand Slam Cup SF (Venus went on to win 6-2 6-7 9-7)

def. Seles 6-2 6-3 01 Acura Final

Davenport
def. Hingis 6-1 7-5; Aussie 00 F (From 6-1 5-1, she was AMAZING)
def. Schnyder 6-1 6-1 Amelia Island 03

DA FOREHAND
Nov 24th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Seles was in the zone, Acura Classic 2001.

yes she was truly awesome against Cappy and Hingis, but then had the misfortune of running into Queen V! and got her clock cleaned .if you don't have that tape....get it truly awesome tennis from Venus. :worship: :worship:

alfajeffster
Nov 24th, 2003, 07:56 PM
1969 U.S. Open Final
Margaret Court def. Nancy Richey 6-2,6-2

G_Slammed
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:18 PM
The best tennis I ever saw from Venus came at the Semifinals, Acura Classic 2001, against Lindsay Davenport. For the first set and a half, she played the most amazing tennis. Her returns, her serve, and the look on her face!

I still watch it sometimes to remember what she can do.

This match, especially the 1st set, is proof of what Richard Williams said about Venus... if she comes to play, nobody can touch her, not even Serena.
Tracy Austin called the first set the best she's ever seen in tennis.

tennisIlove09
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:18 PM
This match, especially the 1st set, is proof of what Richard Williams said about Venus... if she comes to play, nobody can touch her, not even Serena.
Tracy Austin called the first set the best she's ever seen in tennis.

:worship: :worship:

shap_half
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:22 PM
ok so who is willing to send me a copy of that safina match, berlin final, and the USOpen Semi??? please???? :)

irma
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Arantxa beat Graf in 1991 6-0, 6-2. It was not as flashy or spectacular as Mary's win, but a good achievement to beat Steffi by that margin. Arantxa is the only player to have ever bagelled Graf twice. I also think Coetzer beat Graf 6-0, 6-1. Obviously ASV and Amanda are more defensive than Mary, but its worth mentioning that two people actually beat Steffi while losing less games.

you mean steffi was in the zone at french semi 91?

I totally agree but still the most amazing thing she did in her career and I am serious

If I had been Steffi I had ended up in jail (really no joking), for sure had not gone to the pc afterwards and probably emigrated to a loney island too (that when the judge had declared that I was not responsible for the crime I committed)

steffi did nothing, did her job, never whined about it again, just went home almost ruined her shoulder by practicing like crazy but won 4 weeks later

all in all an amazing achievement, anybody who still doubt steffi was a champion after that is not able to recognize one :worship:

bandabou
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Still can´t believe that ASV bageled Steffi like three times and Monica couldn´t do this. :eek:

raquel
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:30 PM
you mean steffi was in the zone at french semi 91?

I totally agree but still the most amazing thing she did in her career and I am serious

If I had been Steffi I had ended up in jail (really no joking), for sure had not gone to the pc afterwards and probably emigrated to a loney island too (that when the judge had declared that I was not responsible for the crime I committed)

steffi did nothing, did her job, never whined about it again, just went home almost ruined her shoulder by practicing like crazy but won 4 weeks later

all in all an amazing achievement, anybody who still doubt steffi was a champion after that is not able to recognize one :worship:

No I was saying ASV beat Graf 6-0, 6-2 after Mark had said no one had beaten Graf the way Mary beat Graf. I was just saying someone had beaten Steffi by an easier margin, but it was maybe not as spectacular as Mary's performance.

Steffi in jail, on an island and doing her job? - Irma you lost me there!

irma
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:35 PM
oh some idiot was stirring things up during that match and that idiot happened to be family of steffi.

that's all

irma
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:38 PM
that has nothing to do with asv though, she just did her job

and it was not that with a normal steffi she would not have had chances afterall berlin was only a difference of two points.(I mean the final a few weeks before)

Leo_DFP
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:39 PM
RG 1994: Pierce def. Graf

Oz 2000: Davenport def. Hingis (especially the first 13 games)

AI 2003: Davenport def. Schnyder

raquel
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:40 PM
oh some idiot was stirring things up during that match and that idiot happened to be family of steffi.

that's all
Oh was that the time Steffi's dad hit someone in the stands? I remember hearing he did that once.

alfajeffster
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:45 PM
1994 Australian Open Final
Steffi Graf def. Arantxa Sanchez Vicario 6-0,6-2

1994 San Diego Final
Steffi Graf def. Arantxa Sanchez Vicario 6-2,6-1

Leo_DFP
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:46 PM

Justine also said that she played the best set of her life this fall against Conchita Martinez. It was like 6-0 or 6-1, but then her level dropped in the second set and it was much closer.

irma
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Oh was that the time Steffi's dad hit someone in the stands? I remember hearing he did that once.

yep it's not the fact that she lost but she just handled it well imho
steffi said she never practiced as hard as those weeks after(oke the result was that she could not slice anymore at fed cup but still she could also have spend her time going to the beach with her lover if she had one those days;))

spencercarlos
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:55 PM
No I was saying ASV beat Graf 6-0, 6-2 after Mark had said no one had beaten Graf the way Mary beat Graf. I was just saying someone had beaten Steffi by an easier margin, but it was maybe not as spectacular as Mary's performance.

Steffi in jail, on an island and doing her job? - Irma you lost me there!
Indeed, Mary outplayed Steffi that day, it was not that Steffi played badly, Mary was IN-ZONE that day, while against Amanda in 97 (Berlin and RG) and Sanchez Vicario on 91 RG, Steffi simply hit everything out.
Another example of this is Hingis`s 6-1 6-1 beating Venus at the Australian Open 2001, i would hardly consider this an IN-ZONE performance by Hingis :rolleyes:

Leo_DFP
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Dementieva beating Davenport in this year's Amelia Island final. Davenport played great and you couldn't believe that Dementieva was hanging with her.

In the AI match where Davey beat Patty 6-1 6-1, Davey played good but Patty played like crap, it was one of those matches where she didn't really show up. So she made it easy for Linzi. Trust me i have it on tape.

Davenport was in the zone in the AO match against Henin from 2-4 down in the second set until 4-1 up in the third. That's probly the best i've ever seen Linzi playing.

I disagree. Schnyder was never allowed to come up with anything brilliant because Davenport took all the time away from her. Even Schnyder admitted afterwards that she didn't play badly, she was simply continuously pinned behind the baseline hvaing to react to Davenport's shots. She said it was the best match anyone had ever played against her. :eek:

And that entire AO match against Henin-hardenne was streaky. Neither one showed their best stuff. The only reason Lindsay got back into it was because of Justin'e choking habits. But in the end it was Lindsay who choked away the match after serving for it. :sad:

I have another one to nominate for Venus:
When she defeated Davenport 6-2, 6-1 in the San Diego '02 semis. Davenport could have played much better, true, but from what I saw of that match, Venus was unstoppable.

And as someone already mentioned, Serena was absolutely incredible for the first set and a half against Lindsay in Charleston this year. The ball was the size of a basketball to her.

bandabou
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Yeah, Serena against Lindsay at Charleston was some serious spanking for a set and half....but after that, I knew Serena was in trouble against Justine...

WinningRecord
Nov 25th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Hingis defeating Coetzer 6-0 6-1 at the Aussie Open 2002. What a joke! Hingis hit like over 30 winners in such few games, honestly, every shot off her racket was a winner. I remember Coetzer hitting a xcourt backhand winner in the last game and the commentators laughed saying it was her first groundstroke winner of the match! Hingis was swinging away at everything out of the air, dropshots were looking as good as always, and really whacked some forehands at Coetzer. I'm not sure either Williams/Davenport/Capriati has hit so many winners in so few games!

Hingis played perfect. In fact she couldn't miss. I remember one point in the middle of the second where Coetzer approached a short ball to her backhand and angled it crosscourt (I mean ANGLED). Hingis as usual anticipated this and was about 5 feet outside the entire court and running foward to the ball, so she slices the ball AROUND the net post with her backhand. It lands in the corner. Coetzer gets to it because she is so damn speedy, but as she goes to lunge for the ball, Hingis put so much slice on it that it kicked away from Amanda and Amanda whiffed! Oh what a glorious shot-maker she was on that day.

And as for the 6-1 6-1 Venus drubbing, Hingis actually played very average and were she to play like she did against Serena, Hingis would have won 6-0 6-0 against Venus.

Also, the best set of tennis EVER played in the women's game, in my opinion, was when Jen beat Hingis 6-0 in the first set of the FCC a few years back. (Of course Hingis won the second 4-6 and Jen won the third 6-4) This was when Jen was way more aggressive and powerful then she is now. If it wasn't a service or return winner, Jen would come up to net and smash the ball with almost 100% success that first set. Amazing.

jdog3008
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Hingis defeating Coetzer 6-0 6-1 at the Aussie Open 2002. What a joke! Hingis hit like over 30 winners in such few games, honestly, every shot off her racket was a winner. I remember Coetzer hitting a xcourt backhand winner in the last game and the commentators laughed saying it was her first groundstroke winner of the match! Hingis was swinging away at everything out of the air, dropshots were looking as good as always, and really whacked some forehands at Coetzer. I'm not sure either Williams/Davenport/Capriati has hit so many winners in so few games!

Hingis played perfect. In fact she couldn't miss. I remember one point in the middle of the second where Coetzer approached a short ball to her backhand and angled it crosscourt (I mean ANGLED). Hingis as usual anticipated this and was about 5 feet outside the entire court and running foward to the ball, so she slices the ball AROUND the net post with her backhand. It lands in the corner. Coetzer gets to it because she is so damn speedy, but as she goes to lunge for the ball, Hingis put so much slice on it that it kicked away from Amanda and Amanda whiffed! Oh what a glorious shot-maker she was on that day.

And as for the 6-1 6-1 Venus drubbing, Hingis actually played very average and were she to play like she did against Serena, Hingis would have won 6-0 6-0 against Venus.

Also, the best set of tennis EVER played in the women's game, in my opinion, was when Jen beat Hingis 6-0 in the first set of the FCC a few years back. (Of course Hingis won the second 4-6 and Jen won the third 6-4) This was when Jen was way more aggressive and powerful then she is now. If it wasn't a service or return winner, Jen would come up to net and smash the ball with almost 100% success that first set. Amazing.

LOL!! i remember that match. I wondered why Coetzer even showed up. She didn't even try. Martina did whatever she wanted. Martina used to play so well. i wish her foot had never forced her to retire. I loved her style. :sad:

WinningRecord
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Yea I almost felt bad for Coetzer because I do like her. I mean you expect long rallies from a Coetzer/Hingis match but most rallies were three to four shots and bang some Hingis winner.

moby
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:12 AM
i remember that match too
it was just an amazing match from martina

anyone who thinks her foot didnt affect her is either stupid or in denial
barely 7 months later at the US open
martina struggled to beat amanda 6-3 6-4 and amanda wasnt even playing as well as she did at AO

when i watched the USO match, i was sadly reminded of AO

Chance
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:14 AM
I take it ooooo/rocksteady/ etc is back

Infiniti, what do you think ?

WinningRecord
Nov 25th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Me too moby! That US Open match with Coetzer/Hingis was so mind-bogglingly bad. I kept thinking about the Aussie match they had too. THen Hingis waltzed out of the tournament with 41 unforced errors in two easy sets against Seles after making 11 (!) in the three setter they had earlier in the year. So sad!

Sammm
Nov 25th, 2003, 12:34 PM
I thought of another one...
Venus v Kim at Antwerp this year.

Glenn
Nov 25th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Justine, fed cup 2003 vs Austria.
The way she clobbered Wartusch was pretty amazing, it was the first time I saw her improved muscles actually paying off.

Justine vs Talaja at US Open 2nd round was some amazing serve and volleying too.

Venus' first set vs Kim at Hamburg 2001 was pretty amazing. She wasn't missing a shot, and that was on clay.

fleemke³
Nov 25th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Yeah Glenn that match against Wartusch was indeed super .. how could I forget about that one :o :)

Chance
Nov 25th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Justine against Cara Black at the USOPEN last year .

JennyS
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Jennifer's 2001 FO SF win over Martina Hingis was the most impressive performance I've seen in a Slam SF. It may have been the best match of Jen's career.

moby
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Are you sure JennyS?

That was the crappiest play I've ever seen from Martina. She was practically tanking the last couple games away... in a slam SF!!! And it wasn't like she couldnt do anything.

Jennifer played only average in that match

Linzi
Nov 25th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Are you sure JennyS?

That was the crappiest play I've ever seen from Martina. She was practically tanking the last couple games away... in a slam SF!!! And it wasn't like she couldnt do anything.

Jennifer played only average in that match
Very ture, Martina was awful in that match.

bandabou
Nov 25th, 2003, 06:48 PM
By that toime Jen was already in Martina´s head...Martina was the perfect opponent for Jen during that time.

Linzi
Nov 25th, 2003, 06:49 PM
By that toime Jen was already in Martina´s head...Martina was the perfect opponent for Jen during that time.
:sad: Her matches against Capriati really bug me the most, cos i reckon if she won them she would be still playing tennis. Damn that 02 Australian OPen final!

Knizzle
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Venus' second set at the Wimby 2002 semis against Justine. Venus had her way on the court in that set. She was so smooth, hitting great passing shots, volleys etc. She even hit a 96 mph second serve. :eek:

bandabou
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:21 PM
In fact after the first two-games in that semi against Justine, Venus was already over Justine....after that Justine was just a spectator.

VS Fan
Nov 25th, 2003, 11:03 PM
Acura 2001:

What some of you are missing is that BOTH Venus AND Monica were in a zone in the first set. There were at least FIVE service games won at LOVE from Venus and Monica combined. Venus managed a break in the first set, then won the second with a little less trouble.

But I loved watching the first set of this match because BOTH players were in a ZONE when serving. There were incredible shots from both players, and I think Venus' total UFE count was 12.
Monica ALSO had few errors.

Second has to be Serena's second set vs Martina, US Open 2001. 100% first serves in... Will she ever do that again against a top player??

Also... To me this thread is more interesting if we keep the "ZONE" discussion to matches featuring top 10 players in matches vs each other. For the most part as been that way and fastinating.

bandabou
Nov 25th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Serena seems to be like the queen of playing in the zone against top 10 players.

Serena vs Momo at Wimbledon ´02, RG´03.
Serena vs Lindsay at ´01 IW. 6-1 6-2. There was a stage where Serena was up 6-1 4-0!!!, so Serena must have won at least NINE!! straigth games! DANG! That is bitch-slapping man!

Just a few...you see these scores against top 10 players and serena totally and absolutely makes them look like amateurs!

Diya
Nov 25th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Still can´t believe that ASV bageled Steffi like three times and Monica couldn´t do this. :eek:

I think Monica bageled Steffi atleast once in the 1995 US Open final (in the second set) but then ran out of gas in the third :sad:

bandabou
Nov 25th, 2003, 11:58 PM
Yeah, that is the only time I know of.

Havok
Nov 26th, 2003, 01:32 AM
what about Dokic def. Schnyder 6-0, 6-3 at Zurich this year??? everyone, including the commentators, were saying that Jelena played some awesome tennis during the first 9 games, which she all won

vogus
Nov 26th, 2003, 04:16 AM
to whoever was arguing with me about Patty vs Linzi at AI this year, what do you think, Patty's going to admit that she played a half-assed match? Of course not, she's going to say "Lindsay played the best match anyone has ever played against me." I'm not blaming Patty for this since lots of players use this line all the time to cover up the fact that they didn't perform well on a particular day. I have the match on video and Patty didn't play well or even really compete at all that day. Davenport was just as much in the zone in the final against Dementieva, but Lena scratched and clawed and refused to lose.