PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters may boycott Olympics

Knizzle
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:13 PM
Clijsters to boycott Olympics if she cannot play in outfit of her choice

By RAF CASERT, Associated Press Writer
November 21, 2003
BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- Former No. 1 Kim Clijsters threatened to boycott the Athens Olympics if she is not allowed to wear apparel from her sponsor.

``As long as my clothing remains an issue, it is impossible for me to go to the Olympics,'' Clijsters said Friday in a statement posted on her Web site, ``even though I would like to go and even though I would be able to fit it into my schedule.''

Clijsters has a contract with the manufacturer Fila, and is refusing to wear gear from the Belgian Olympic Committee's sponsor, Adidas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Clijsters is ranked No. 2 after being overtaken this year by fellow Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne, who wears Adidas gear and already has committed to Athens.

The Belgian Olympic Committee said it was negotiating with all parties to try to get Clijsters to compete in Athens.

``We are looking for a constructive way out of this problem,'' said Piet Moons, the committee's marketing director, and he is optimistic a compromise can be reached.

Clijsters said her contract with Fila clearly stipulated she would always have to play in the company's clothing.

``Fila made a big commitment; everything is tailor made and they also produce a special clothing line,'' she said.

``It seems normal that I respect my contract and do not play in another outfit,'' she added. ``It has nothing to do with money.''

Moons refused to say how much the Adidas contract was worth. The German sports manufacturer has sponsored the Belgian team since 1976 and is also involved in backing the Belgian participating in the Paralympics and the Olympic youth festival.

Such apparel disputes are not new at the Olympics. On the victory stand at the 1992 Barcelona Games, Michael Jordan, who was under contract to Nike, and other U.S. players draped a U.S. flag over the Reebok logo of their basketball warmup suits.

Updated on Friday, Nov 21, 2003 2:28

tennisIlove09
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:44 PM
Is this clothing despite only in Belgium? I don't remember a country having a certain sponsor, well the countries Olympic committee. That's very odd. I understand Kim's point though...she can't just ditch Fila!

jenglisbe
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:45 PM
If her contract says she will always wear Fila, is 'boycott' really the word for the media to be using???

SerenaSlam
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:56 PM
i think its stupid they are trying to make her wear belgium crap. boycott away kim.

space
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:58 PM
I agree with Kim.

Knizzle
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:30 PM
Is this clothing despite only in Belgium? I don't remember a country having a certain sponsor, well the countries Olympic committee. That's very odd. I understand Kim's point though...she can't just ditch Fila!

I remember the whole issue with Michael Jordan and the USA basketball team not all promoting reebok.

wongqks
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:32 PM
Kuerten had that problem in 2000 olympics as I remember , but he managed to sort it out, I hope it will eb the same for KIm :)

hey_britney
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:35 PM
i think its stupid they are trying to make her wear belgium crap. boycott away kim.

adidas is not belgian.

darrinbaker00
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:43 PM
Boy, the Belgian Olympic Committee is really strict. If I remember correctly, not only did Venus and Serena get to wear their own gear in 2000, but Serena even wore her then-usual pink and black. Fila has a price; the question is, is Adidas willing to meet that price? ;)

mboyle
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:07 PM
Well, perhaps if she wears an Adidas cap, or sock.....I mean, it doesn't say she can't wear other clothing companies does it?:devil:

Kart
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:18 PM
Will believe it when I see it.

PointBlank
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:21 PM
Maybe Kim can ask Fila to make a Belgian color suit sorta like the Adidas one but with a fila logo? Would that work?

Rocketta
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:00 AM
Why can't she just hide the logo like Michael Jordan did with her national flag? :rolleyes:

Always drama....:mad:

disposablehero
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:40 AM
This is pretty much the same issue as when players were refusing to wear the "Sanex" patch a few years ago. Or Tiger Woods when Mercedes was taking out ads to congratulate him. This is part of sports now.

moby
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:44 AM
i love adidas but i'm on kim's side here
it's only moral to respect your contract

ico4498
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:55 AM
its just posturing to affect the inevitable deal. neither apparel company wants to be known as the money grubbing corporate entity that denied an athlete their olympic dream. a deal will be made ...

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:59 AM
Why cant they design different Belgian team uniforms for different companies, but with the same distinctive look.

ie - Scud (Fila) and Hewitt (Nike) in David Cup.

Hawk
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:00 AM
its just posturing to affect the inevitable deal. neither apparel company wants to be known as the money grubbing corporate entity that denied an athlete their olympic dream. a deal will be made ...

hmm..I agree. Especially considering it's public now and everyone knows about it.

If Fila doesn't make a deal it'll look like they kept Kim out of the Olympics. I'm sure they don't want that..

btw anyone know about Cappy? what's her situation regarding the Olympics?

Rocketta
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:34 AM
Players should learn by now to negotiate an "olympics" clause into their contracts, imo.