PDA

View Full Version : Williams sisters will return to tennis at Australian Open

space
Nov 21st, 2003, 05:36 PM
Williams sisters will return to tennis at Australian Open
Nov. 20, 2003
SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- The Williams sisters said Thursday they will return to tournament tennis at the Australian Open in January.

Advertisement

Both Serena and Venus Williams sat out the U.S. Open and WTA Championships after playing in the finals at Wimbledon. Serena had surgery on her left knee and Venus was sidelined by a pulled stomach muscle.

"I feel great," Venus said. "It just took time and rest to get better."

Serena won the Wimbledon final against Venus -- the fifth time in six Grand Slams that the sisters met for the title -- and then underwent surgery Aug. 1.

"I'm feeling stronger," she said. "It's getting better. I'll play some exhibitions in Australia before the Open."

The Williams sisters were selling french fries at a Manhattan restaurant to raise money for Ronald McDonald House Charities as part of World Children's Day.

xr6turbo
Nov 21st, 2003, 05:39 PM
:yeah:

jenny161185
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:11 PM
she feels great :) oz open should be very interesting :)

Fyndh0rnElf
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:14 PM

The grand slam of OZZ will be the greatest slam in ages :drive:

Hopefully, Henin won't win this time

space
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:26 PM

Yep, that's the part I like to hear. She's feeling great.

I read in one article where they asked about they training and the writer of the article said that V&S would not talking about they training patterns and what they are doing in training. Venus did say she is working on some new moves so, maybe they have something up their sleeves.

alfajeffster
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:29 PM
It'll be very interesting to see how Serena plays after being sidelined for so long and basically leaving the game at the top. I think it will be tougher for her than Venus, because Venus is a much rangier and longer limbed opponent, and her game tends to be reactionary mix of great court coverage and incredible gets, so she should be able to pick up right where she left off. Serena, on the other hand, she's got some work cut out for her. I can't wait to see my favorite active female tennis player in action again: Serena Williams!

space
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:55 PM
It'll be very interesting to see how Serena plays after being sidelined for so long and basically leaving the game at the top. I think it will be tougher for her than Venus, because Venus is a much rangier and longer limbed opponent, and her game tends to be reactionary mix of great court coverage and incredible gets, so she should be able to pick up right where she left off. Serena, on the other hand, she's got some work cut out for her. I can't wait to see my favorite active female tennis player in action again: Serena Williams!

Why would it be any tougher than the other times when they were out with injuries and came right back and win.

bandabou
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:01 PM
Yep...I think Serena should really put up some work during the Hopman-Cup to get back in the thick of things.

Knizzle
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:13 PM
"I feel great," Venus said. "It just took time and rest to get better."

Uh OOOOH!! Bad news for the haters.

tennisIlove09
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:19 PM

I find this interesting. Why would it be harder for Venus? Venus, incase you have forgotten, has been in the position before. She missed 6 months from 99-00 with injury. She came back, lost early (on clay) and then won 35 in a row, including Wimbledon, US Open and Olympics!

WtaTour4Ever
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:21 PM
They are both playing before the oz right? I hope so.....either way, can't wait to see them both.

lee station
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:36 PM
Welcome back! :wavey:

bandabou
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:42 PM
I find this interesting. Why would it be harder for Venus? Venus, incase you have forgotten, has been in the position before. She missed 6 months from 99-00 with injury. She came back, lost early (on clay) and then won 35 in a row, including Wimbledon, US Open and Olympics!

He meant Serena would have a tough time.

harloo
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:49 PM
The sisters are still training even while they are not actively playing tournaments. They are getting ready for the AO. I actually think it's good that they have this time off.

I think both sisters will adjust well after the lay off. Remember they have always come back from injury and play like they never left. Of course their will be some first match and possibly second match glitches or even tournament glitches, but that's to be expected when you have not played for half the season.

Good Luck Venus and Serena!

I would like to see Venus win the AO, but Serena will be fine for me also.

Bероника
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:00 PM
Wonderful news!!!!
GO VENUS!!!!

space
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:12 PM
The sisters are still training even while they are not actively playing tournaments. They are getting ready for the AO. I actually think it's good that they have this time off.

I think both sisters will adjust well after the lay off. Remember they have always come back from injury and play like they never left. Of course their will be some first match and possibly second match glitches or even tournament glitches, but that's to be expected when you have not played for half the season.

Good Luck Venus and Serena!

I would like to see Venus win the AO, but Serena will be fine for me also.

I hear ya.