PDA

View Full Version : These Grand Slam Champions...

skanky~skanketta
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:51 AM
have a story to tell. they are not like most players.
the sisters: came from a horendous neighbourhood. coached by a cute-crazy father.
justine:the story about her mom.
jennifer: from drugs to stealing to glory.
martina navratilova: overcame the homophobes.
mary: overcame an abusive father.
steffi: overcame her fathers antics.

not sure whether to add monica cuz she already had 8 grand slams in hand before the stabbing.

anything else?i dont know much about the rest.

jimbo mack
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:32 AM
jana novotna- overcame the embarassment of the duchesses shoulder!

propi
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:35 AM
Conchita Martínez: overcame the topics about grass being for cows (that's said here :p) and Spanish only winning on clay :bounce: :bounce:

Kart
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:55 AM
Monica still won a grand slam after the stabbing.

hingis-seles
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:50 AM
Monica won after the stabbing as Kart mentioned.

Martina Hingis' parents got divorced when she was four, and she moved to a different country with a new father since the opportunities in Czechoslovakia were limited at the time. Her mother used to work two jobs in Czechoslovakia so she could pay for Martina's tennis lessons when Martina was a young child. When Martina would come home, they would go over tennis strategy and her mother would sometimes take a racquet to demonstrate her point. It wasn't an easy ride for Martina...

skanky~skanketta
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:59 AM
yeah, i know about monica, but she already won 8 slams before that. did she have any "history" before that?

Kart
Nov 21st, 2003, 11:08 AM
Define 'history.'

After all, didn't Steffi's dad's antics all start after she was a multiple grand slam champion ?

irma
Nov 21st, 2003, 11:21 AM
steffi's father had his antics before 87 but from what I read they were only good for her tenniscareer.

wave
Nov 21st, 2003, 11:52 AM
Hi Irma!

You are the expert on Steffis career and I agree that Peter G. had his antics before. Rumours say that he beat Steffi when she was young. So how can that be "good" for her career? Or do you think that this is untrue?
Reading your e-mail again: I think you meant it ironically, didn't you? :worship:

As for Monica: Growing up as a minority (Hungarian) in political unsecure Yougoslavia (serbia), leaving for another country to practice there as a very young girl might be also a story (at least similar to Martina Hingis). But I admit that lots of young girls have to leave their country to go somewhere else to practice, often at Nick Bs.
Loosing her father, the most important man in her life is also a story, but unfortunately a story without happy end (until now) as she has lost in the Paris final against my other fave Arantxa. :sad:

Martina: The story seems to me harder on Martinas mother than on Martina... :p

Hi Kart! :wavey:

irma
Nov 21st, 2003, 11:57 AM
that said steffi was bullied in school because she got privileges because her tennis, but I don't think she kept a trauma of that. why should she, the same people were probably begging for her autograph years later :devil:

irma
Nov 21st, 2003, 12:03 PM
I base it on steffi's interviews and also on the one of her mother in the welt a few years ago. they say that till steffi started to be succesfull they had a great life. I have no reason to doubt that.
also the spiegel who wrote about the beating thing also talked about the time when steffi was already number 1 in the world

irma
Nov 21st, 2003, 12:08 PM
oh my first post was about the fights he had with the WTA in the middle of the eighties and those were good for Steffi's career and for some others. I am definitely convinced about that, no matter what an idiot he was otherwise

space
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:04 PM
have a story to tell. they are not like most players.
the sisters: came from a horendous neighbourhood. coached by a cute-crazy father.
justine:the story about her mom.
jennifer: from drugs to stealing to glory.
martina navratilova: overcame the homophobes.
mary: overcame an abusive father.
steffi: overcame her fathers antics.

not sure whether to add monica cuz she already had 8 grand slams in hand before the stabbing.

anything else?i dont know much about the rest.

Why do you people always make where V&S came from the worse place on earth. Do not go by everything you hear or read. Do you know anything about compton or are you going by hearsay.

space
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:06 PM
Monica won after the stabbing as Kart mentioned.

Martina Hingis' parents got divorced when she was four, and she moved to a different country with a new father since the opportunities in Czechoslovakia were limited at the time. Her mother used to work two jobs in Czechoslovakia so she could pay for Martina's tennis lessons when Martina was a young child. When Martina would come home, they would go over tennis strategy and her mother would sometimes take a racquet to demonstrate her point. It wasn't an easy ride for Martina...

And she and her mother also lived in their car or was that Anna K. Living in your car is just as bad as the so call "horendous" neighborhood were V&S are from that the thread started mentioned.

mishar
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:08 PM
Monica was sort-of a trend-setter, in leaving Eastern Europe at a very young age to try to make a tennis career. Martina N. emigrated at 19. Monica was really taking a huge risk. Her parents didn't speak English, even at 12 years old she had to make all the travel arrangements. Now many others have done what she did, Anna, now Sharapova, it's almost commonplace, but when you think of where Monica came from (a small town in Yugoslavia with no indoor courts) to make it to #1 by 17 is quite a "history" to overcome.

skanky~skanketta
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:27 PM
i'm sorry if i offended you space, but you were right. i WAS going by hearsay. i mean, when u read about it, they always say that compton is gang-infested and thing. even richard said so, but yeah, gotta take rich's word with a pinch of salt(or is it sugar?)but they did overcome the racial barrier.

what i'm trying to do here is show that the grand slam champions are not like every regular person. they had to overcome SOMETHING, and this is what makes them tougher.

jenny161185
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:15 PM
Jen - I dont know how you could leave the tour and then come back and win slams especially after the media attention etc - of course Monica too - I thought it was great when Justine won RG because she had told her mom she would win it one day.

Martian Willow
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:34 PM
...most Slam winners have a story...which is why I get fed up with hearing how amazing the sisters is...it is amazing, but not that much more amazing than anyone else...Angela Mortimer took up tennis at 14...her first coach called her hopeless...she was half deaf and weighed six stone when she was 25...but still won Slams... :)