PDA

View Full Version : Do you call out players' names loud when you are watching in the stands?

Doraemon
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:06 PM
I'm usually way too shy to shout while watching a match from the stands. I haven't attended too many tournaments but the only occasion on which I really got involved enough to shout the name of a player I was cheering on was the Roddick/Lee match at Addidas International last year (pre much two years ago). I really couldn't help it. Not that I was aware.. I was emotionally into it so much that before I knew it, I was like beside myself shouting bloody loud " C'mon Lee! Kick ass!" A lot of people were real involved in the match as it was so close and entertaining. I didn't really stand out but since the majority of ppl sitting around me were pro Andy, when I remarked "Kick his cocky arss, Lee!", a lot of people turned ard and gave me a nasty look! My friends were looking embarrassed though they were also rooting for Lee. Anyways that match turned out to be the best match I have ever seen in front of my eyes.
What's your emotional experience in attending a tennis tourny?

JonBcn
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Not really, but I like to shout things like 'Come on Arantxa!' at Davis Cup finals. I do tend to shout at my TV though, its much safer.

faboozadoo15
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:09 PM
im kinda shy about it too... but for some reason, i feel like i NEED to or my fav won't win. pretty crazy, but thats the only thing that moves me to shout.

alfajeffster
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:18 PM
I remember watching Serena Williams play Irina Spirlea at Arthur Ashe Stadium in a night match years ago, and we were up in the nosebleed seats and (you guessed it)- feeling no pain for the $5 Heinekins, and a few of us with voices yelled "GO SEREEEEEEENAAAAA!" in between points every now and again throughout the match. A friend of mine taped it and actually heard us!

Venus Forever
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Not really, but I like to shout things like 'Come on Arantxa!' at Davis Cup finals. I do tend to shout at my TV though, its much safer.

WoW, Arantxa in the Davis Cup Finals?!?! What an accomplishment. :eek:

Infiniti2001
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Guilty :wavey: :lol:

RAA
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:33 PM
usually Ihave such bad seats it doesn't matter (this is generally the USOpen)

there was a lot of:
COME ON JENNi-FER!! at the usopen semi this year.. but this was from most of the crowd as well as me..

I mostly mutter to myself.. and the join in when others are yelling.

TennisHack
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:38 PM

If it's on a big court, yeah, but usually I'm too shy or too into the match to do it. I do shout at the TV and at live scores on the internet, though ;)

In Cincy I cheered loud and hard for Max in the semis, but that's because more or less the whole stadium was against him. Ditto Rainer. He really got treated nastily by the crowd when he played Fish. But when I was on the smaller courts I didn't say much because you feel SO CLOSE to the player that you don't want to disturb them :o

However, interestingly enough, if the whole crowd is into the match and shouting, it's easier to go along with things. I saw Ferrero/Zimonjic vs Hewitt/Philippoussis and it was a great, relaxed match and the crowd was into it from the start :) That doesn't happen much in singles matches, though.

SJW
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:41 PM
hell yea. it's fun as hell too

me and my friend managed to get all the Venus fans rowdy in her first round match at Wimbledon this year.

she musta enjoyed it cuz she said the crowd was really nice :p

Mr. Man
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:49 PM
If Venus and Serena ever come down here to play a tournament, Of course I would!

Experimentee
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:40 PM
Does anyone shout when its a small court and theres hardly anyone watching?
I'm too embarassed to :o

paul_masterton
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:48 PM
go to a challenger, its a brave person who cheers there. bad enough enough clapping leads u to get stared at by the other 4 people who have decided to attend.

challenger players, especially thsoe ranked 500 down who didnt do well in juniors or anything tend to get really confused when people start clapping and turn around and look at you as if to say "what the fuck?! why are you clapping me?! Ive never been clapped before."

the nice players usually will smile and say hi when they walk past u after the match and stuff, well with only 5 people watching its obvious who is supporting who!!

j_dementieva27
Nov 21st, 2003, 03:01 PM
when i went to the us open this year, i attended serveral matches in which i cheered for all of them

when i went to the schynder vs tanasugarn match... patty was down a set and a break so i cheered "go patty!!!" and the people around me turned and gave me a weird look... i gave them the finger lolol

then, at the hantuchova vs vakulenko matvch.. i cheered very loudly and vocally for daniela and once i screamed so loud "GOOOOO DANIELA!!!" that she looked up at me and smiled!!!! it was so great

then.. i went to the harkleroad vs zvonareva match and the whole crowd was screaming and pulling for ashley, especially in the second set [which she won]... that match was being televised and i called my friend and put her on hold.... i screamed "GO ASHLEY!!!" and she said she could hear me perfectly on the tv!!!

the us open was one of the best days of my life.. ill never forget it... [off topic but...] i even got to meet meghann shuagnessy!

kim4eva
Nov 21st, 2003, 05:04 PM
I don't quite call their names loud because I reckon it's really annoying to the person's sitting next to you...this yr at wimbly i saw the match between mary and justine...this justine fan was shouting "go justine" 5 seconds a time right NEXT to my ear! :o...i nearly went deaf! i mean, it's good to cheer on your fav player but i reckon it's so annoying :p

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 21st, 2003, 05:11 PM
not exactly call out their names

i always try and sit as close to court as possible
but give them "positive vibes", gentle hints :p

Pamela Shriver
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:46 PM
Do you call out players' names loud when you are watching in the stands?

Yeah I used to but the networks didn't like it as it was interrupting my pammentary.

jmp
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:54 PM
"Do you call out players' names loud when you are watching in the stands?"

Y E S ! !

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I yelled, clapped, and whooped the whole time I was at the TMC! It was a blast! No one told me to shut up. So, I guess I wasn't offensive. I certainly heard one of my seat mates curse an obnoxious drunk at least once. I tried to call out the first names of players using their native pronunciations. One of my seat mates told me he thought I cheered for the underdog. I cheered for all of Andre's opponents, but, I whooped it up every time Andre had a great shot and when he won. Another one of my seat mates pointed out how I shouted for Andre as much as for his opponents. It was all good. :) :D

I talk to the TV a lot when I'm watching matches and I clap without saying anything like I'm sitting in the audience. The one TV match where I yelled and really got into it was Max/Guga USO '02(?). That was an awesome match! I was cheering for Guga because he was coming from behind, but, I was happy for Max because he was performing so well. When Guga won I jumped up out of my chair and clapped and yelled. When I watched Justine win the USO SF on TV this year, I just stood up and clapped for a long, long time with that silent, respectful clap. She was out of it a couple of times and came back with awesome shots and preserverance.

So, if I ever go to a tennis match again, I'm sure I will be cheering my butt off. :cool:

crazillo
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:57 PM
i think it is ok to cry the names. i do it as well.

Venus Forever
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:06 PM
not exactly call out their names

i always try and sit as close to court as possible
but give them "positive vibes", gentle hints :p

:rolleyes:

:p

Come-on-kim
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:36 PM
No, I'm too shy for that with all the people around me :lol:

But in 2002 I've been interviewed with my friends on the Belgian news before Justine's match against Venus in Antwerp final and we sang a song... "Allez justiiiiiiine, allez justiiiiiiine, allez allez allez" :o I was so embarrassed the next day at school :lol:

salima
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:42 PM
In my sivil life I am shy, but the emotions take over watching sport, even tenns. And to my big surprise the words comes out in Norwegian. :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape:

*JR*
Nov 21st, 2003, 11:12 PM
Some ppl just yell stuff like: hhoooppppp ssscccchhhwwwiiizzzz :p