PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Interview

Lapin
Nov 12th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Many, many thanks to Lindsayfan for finding this Yahoo interview, and especially for doing the translation for us! :D

Amelie,how do you judge this season?
- I want to start by the bad side:I've been injured some time,I missed 2 grand slams,and it's a lot for a season.On the other hand,I reached the quarters @ Roland Garros (which is my best performance there),I've beaten both the Williams sisters.That encreased my confidence a lot.I'm really eager to start the next season and to play hopefully a full year,without injuries.Despite i skipped 2 GS,I'm still in top 8 (LOL she didnt know yet she was going to finish top 4!),and I'm satisfied.

You'll finish the year as n.6 (n.4 but she didnt know yet) and u missed some parts of the season..do ya have any regret?
- Sure i Have regrets.I didnt win any GS and I'm not n.1 in the world..who are my goals.but I have to accept my destiny,i cannot change the past.One year ago i thought I was going to stop my career cos of my injury!I have to put things in perspective.

What do ya miss in order to be in top 3?
- I miss matches!I've decided to change my schedule for next year,I'm going to play more tourneys so I wont have too much pressure on myself and If i do some mistakes,I'll be able to recover.I'm going to do a season like Kim Clijsters (playing everywhere,every week) but without playing so much doubles.

What have been ur best moments this year?
- For sure the Open gaz de france.It was my comeback tourney after 4 months and it was great to play in paris in front off my public etc.also the victory in Warsaw vs Venus and the win vs Serena in Rome have been great moments for me.
I said to myself "That's it!".I beat all the players who were above me in the ranking.These wins changed my mind.Specially with the Williams sisters I said to myself that they could be beaten now.I must admitt that I was a little bit pessimistic every time i played them before...right now when i have to play one of them I know I can win.

You played Serena @ RG and u made a non-match.it could happen again?
- I hope not.when I lost to Suarez in 2002 I said to myself "it wont happen again" and it happened..u never know but i hope that with the experience,the confidence and the help of ppl who surround me I wont play another similar match.

What importance has for you the Fed Cup?is it more important than a GS?
- No,it isnt but It's a competition I wanna win.I like to share this kind of moment with my team.it's a magic moment (being part of Fed Cup team) that is very different with the individual tourneys.I play my 5th season in fed cup and it's amazing to see how the ambience inside the group got better.Now we really like to stay each other,we enjoy each other's company,we want to win this trophy.Even though we arent the best team on the paper, we must have high expectations.

The absence of the Williamses and of the belgians duo makes this trophy less important?
- Not in my eyes.To win the fed Cup is the only thing I care about,I dont care about my opponents.in 10 years no one will remember whether the williamses were playing at Us Open 2003 or not,but everyone will remember that Justine won it.that's the only thing that counts.

Is the semi between France and Russia an anticipated final?
- Well,we r going to play the best squad on the paper.they r not only great players but they play in front off their public.

During Kremlin Cup,u played 3 russian players that might be ur opponents in fed Cup.what lessons have u learnt about them?
- My win over Dementieva has been really positive.I've lost to Myskina but I took my revenge in Philadelphia.having beaten Dementieva and Zvonareva in Moscow increases my confidence.but the conditions will be totally different this time.

what are the main weakness and the biggest qualities of french team?
- our biggest quality is the relationship between us,the ambience is really good.The comeback of Mary makes our team stronger and more homogeneous.Our main weakness is that if someone gets injured,there isnt a reserve who is at the same level.instead in russian team,if myskina has an injury they can play Zvonareva or Petrova and the level of play is still high.

U played doubles with Pierce in Filderstadt.it was related to Fed Cup?
- yes,completely.Guy Forget asked us to play together and we did it.we played quite well.I dont know Mary very well,but when we meet each other,it's always nice and we get along.On the court she looked very motivated and very relaxed,she really wants to play fed cup this time.

Talk a little bit of ur captain Guy Forget now..how he's helping u?
- Since i've settled in Geneva,we've started to practice together and we keep it going.He is like a big brother to me,we have a true,sincere relationship in which everyone talks freely,without secrets.If i have a problem,he's always helpful to me.when me and my former coach Alexia Dechaume parted away,Guy has been the first person I've called.I wanted his opinion,i wanted to know if Loic was the right coach for me according to Guy.

What r ur goals for next year?
- I want to be more aggressive on court and coming more to the net.Of course id like to win a GS and to be the n.1 in the world,but the most important things are to be focused on my tennis,to be serious in the practice and to come more to the net.

Which Slams u think u have more chances to win?
- I think Wimbledon,even tho it sounds like a paradox.I've always played well there and also in Australia.AT Us Open i was about to beat Venus last year...Roland Garros is probably the most difficult tourney for me,cos it's my homecountry tourney and there is too much pressure.

Are the Olympics a goal for you next year?
- yes sure,for the atmosphere of Olympics.in tennis u know a gold medal doesnt count so much but I've been growing in a sport-culture and for me the Olympics r really important.I'd like to win a medal,it's a childhood dream!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=93216
Keep checking this thread because Lindsayfan will be posting any other interviews etc. found in the next few days!! :D

Sonja
Nov 13th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Thank you Vale for the wonderful article and translation and to lapin for posting it here.

pacatale
Nov 13th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Today at Roland-Garros :D

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20031113/sge.els46.131103181039.photo00.default-312x384.jpg

pacatale
Nov 14th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Oops I had not seen the Fed Cup thread

galadriel
Nov 14th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Thank you :kiss: