PDA

View Full Version : AO Wildcards yet again

Vicky88
Nov 12th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Just wondering what everyone's latest thoughts on how the AO wildcards should be dished out as we are now halfway thru the Aussies challengers?

I'm thinking Casey is in a good position to automatically get the WC due to challenger results as long as she does reasonably well on the SA leg.

The rest, well have to say performances have been somewhat lacking. I would like the rest just to be handed out purely on ranking. The top 6 ranked (or is it 4 or 5) should get the wildcards for the main draw, and the qualifying one's should go to the next ranked Aussies players whose ranking will keep them out of qualifying.

Have to say that on performance in these challengers it could be argued that Sam and Evie do not deserve a WC for main draw, but truthfully I can't see anyone else who does.

My personal favourite who I would like to see get one in the main draw is Trudi Musgrave. Think she has played reasonably well thru these challengers and would be nice to see her get a break.

broncosven
Nov 12th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Casey
Trudi
Sam
Brianne
Monique
Nicole Kriz
Christina Wheller

they would be my top 7

Randy H
Nov 13th, 2003, 01:24 AM
This year there were only 5 Aussie maindraw wildcards because of the wildcards given to Morigami, Baltacha, and Pin, so I will say 5 who I think should (or would) get them as of now anyway.

1. Samantha Stosur - She's a young hopeful, been having a bit of a rough time with results lately but she is still one of the best Aussies regardless, and she had a great run beating Martinez and Webb so I can't see them not giving her the chance to defend those.

2. Evie Dominikovic - Really not deserving right now, she's in rotten form and has been for a while, but again, has lots of points to defend and should be given the chance to try and salvage some of them. She is capable of finding form at any given time so you can't count her out.

3. Casey Dellacqua - Just picked up a 25k title, which is a great effort from her. She got in with a wildcard last year, certainly that win should ensure her a place there again.

4. Christina Wheeler - Never seem to know what's up with her, another unpredictable player but her ranking is well above most of the others, she has won a round in a slam before, and she did reach 2 25k finals overseas this year which is plenty more than the other girls achieved.

5. This one is sort of a toss-up, I would love to see Trudi Musgrave get in as she has been having a great run through the Aussie challenger circuit, but unless she wins the wildcard through earning the points I am not sure they will pick her because the Aussie Federation really seems to be pushing for the younger players to gain experience right now. If they go with a younger player I'd like to see them pick Monique Adamczak.

Qualifying wildcards should then go to Stewart, Kriz, Hewitt, Breadmore, Musgrave/Adamczak, and two young players (Cupac, Ferguson, Cheung, Szili etc.)

Gowza
Nov 13th, 2003, 01:42 AM
casey should get a maindraw WC, i hope ssam gets one, on ranking and performance at AO last year she should get one but to tell you the truth with her recent results she isn't deserving of one. but she has challenged some top players in wta events so it would be stupid not to give her one, and she is our best prospect atm imo.

Gowza
Nov 13th, 2003, 01:43 AM
i think qual WC's should go to hewitt, ferguson, dani dominikovic.

AUSBOY
Nov 13th, 2003, 02:05 AM
Casey & Sam Stosur are assured of wildcards!

Evie will probably get one but her form is like Watson's last year and it would be double standards if they gave one to her! Personally I think she needs a run in qualies to be put in her place!

Wheeler I think is more deserving of a MD wildcard than Evie. Christina has only received 2 compared to Evies 4 or 5 MD Wildcards and both times Wheeler has had horrid draws. But I don't think Tennis Australia want to give her a wildcard

Musgrave won't get one unless she can beat Casey for the Australian Unity Tour Wildcard or get the one at the training camp.

Adamczak/Ferguson/Kriz/McQuillan(farewell?) are possible other contenders for that dodgy wildcard they always seem to give on unfair bias! I think Monique and Kriz are deserving, and sure Rachel has given a lot to Australian tennis but would be annoyed if Sophie got one, I think she deserves a 2nd run in qualies and I think she could get a win or two this year.

My guess is

Casey - Aust Unity
Evie
Stosur
Ferguson :rolleyes:
Adamczak

But the Aussie wildcard up for grabs at the training camp could see a surprise like Trudi or Mireille get through hehe. I could only wish!

azza
Nov 13th, 2003, 02:34 AM
I reckon

Evie Quallies
Christina MD
Adamczak MD
Kriz Quallies
Maquillian MD :rolleyes:
Cupac Quallies

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 13th, 2003, 02:36 AM
-Dellacqua
-Wloderszak
-Adamzcak
-Kriz
-Stosur
-Wheeler
-Hopper :haha:

NOT Szilli, Ferguson, Stewart, Watson, Ellwood etc :o

azza
Nov 13th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Who the hecks Wloderszak :speakles: :shrug:

louloubelle
Nov 13th, 2003, 02:46 AM
With soooo many non-deservers this is the best time to have a play-off. 1st w/c goes to Aus Unity but the others play off. 5 groups of 4 in a round robin - but this won't happen.

But if not -
Casey
Sam

The other three may be determined at the last minute. Possibly each aspirant will get a w/c into Hobart, QLD, Syndey or Canberra and whoever can make an impact will be the lucky one. Last summer both Watson, Grahame & Stewart received w/c into pre-tournies and as both crashed in the first rnd - no w/c were awarded to them.

I have a feeling last year Wheeler wasn't given a w/c because she had an ankle/foot injury and it was doubtful whether it would stand up. But she may have been placed with the likes of Watson, Stewart etc... and told to lift before getting another handout.

broncosven
Nov 13th, 2003, 04:13 AM
If there were only 5 MD id say

1 - Sam
2 - Casey Dellacqua
3 - Christina Wheller
4- Nicole Kriz/Monique Adamzack
5- Brianne Stewart

Maybe Watson and Evie can push for one if there results improve

id say that the first 2 choices are assured and i also see that most people have picked the same people which is cool

~|Naomi|~
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:03 AM
Why would ferguson get one?
I haven't really followed aussie juniors, so could someone tell me her results

thanks

azza
Nov 13th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Goodluck to all WC :yippee:

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 13th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Don't they also give one to
-A great Britain player
-an Asian player
-a French layer

:unsure:

broncosven
Nov 13th, 2003, 08:23 AM
yes spikey so that still leaves us with 5 MD and i think 5 or 6 Qualy WC to give

Vicky88
Nov 13th, 2003, 07:04 PM
So does anyone know if they are going to do the playoff again this year? Think it would be the best way of handing out the wildcards as there have not exactly been any outstanding results.

TS
Nov 15th, 2003, 06:43 AM
They will do a wildcard play-off in December (at the training camp)

Well it looks like Trudi Musgrave (who has just reached her second final on the Aus Unity tour) may get that WC afterall :) Wouldn't it be great to see her stick it up TA and show up all the young kids? :lol: Go for it Trudi!

As for the others...Stosur and Dellacqua are a shoe in. Evie may get one (but she doesn't deserve it). Christina Wheeler would be the other choice...I'm guessing one of these four girls will win the WC play off in December...if a young kid gets one (they always generally give a 17 year old a shot), Ausboy is right, it will most likely be Sophie Ferguson, but it's highly doubtful. I'd like to see Monique Adamczak get a run but she may be better off in qualies.

No idea for qualy WC's...I can see the argument for giving kids a go, but that back fired this year. All those kids that were given a run this year have done nothing for the rest of 2003. I would like to see them do what they did in 2002, and pretty much go by rank.

Vicky88
Nov 15th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Well Trudi is thru to the final at Port Pirie. If she wins it will be hard for TA to justify not going her a wildcard.

Think that Casey and Sam will be a lock becuase of their performance at AO last year, plus there is no-one else who has done any better. Think Evie may get one on the same grounds.

Rising Sun
Nov 15th, 2003, 06:43 PM
I'm glad to see Trudi doing really well in these Challengers. :)

Casey's withdrawn from the rest of the SA Challengers, so she's going to have to rely on something else to get a WC...

SM
Nov 16th, 2003, 05:08 AM
while im sure sophie has the game to win a round of quallies (ive seen her play many times), she has nearly no chance to beat someone in the main draw...
while she hits the ball deep she just doesnt have the necessary power in her shots at this stage of her career

broncosven
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:52 PM
after the showing in the challengers . . . . . i have no doubt that

1 - Trudi
2 - Casey
3 - Brianne
4 - Monique
5 - Sam or Christina

i dont think Evie will get one and the only other person from challengers who even remotely deserves one is Jaslyn Hewitt or maybe Mirelle Dittman

Even our girls in 200-300 are dropping madly which is the wrong time as they can get into qualies for Oz open. McShea, Mcquillian and Breadmore have won like 2 games between them in 4/5 tournies which is not what u wanna c

azza
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:07 PM
Aussie Womens tennis :tears: :tears:

Vicky88
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:39 PM
I'm thinking the following:

1. Trudi
2. Casey
3. Bryanne
4. Monique
5. Sam

I'm picking Sam over Chistine and Evie because they have all had a totally shite performance at the Challengers but Evie has had her share of handouts this year. Christine hasn't done enough to justify a wc.

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 4th, 2003, 09:43 PM
there's 6 WC for Aussies
TA isnt doing a deal with LTA this yr.

AUSBOY
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:02 AM
TBE are you sure? I thought it was a trial last year, a once off but I read in the Newspaper here yesterday that a British wildcard was being offered in both mens and womens main draw. Mind you the newspaper in question was The Age and are not the most reliable Tennis Newspaper!

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:23 AM
thats what i read in the Daily Telegraph (London)

Tennis Australia have decided not to repeat last year's agreement which kept one women's singles place in Melbourne for a British competitor and one at Wimbledon for an Australian.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fsport%2F2003%2F12%2F02%2Fstpars0 2.xml

AUSBOY
Dec 5th, 2003, 08:38 AM
thats what i read in the Daily Telegraph (London)

Tennis Australia have decided not to repeat last year's agreement which kept one women's singles place in Melbourne for a British competitor and one at Wimbledon for an Australian.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fsport%2F2003%2F12%2F02%2Fstpars0 2.xml

Maybe that agreement has been changed! Last year it was 1 womens main draw and qualifying draw wildcard. In The Age they talked about a main draw wildcard for the mens singles and womens.

Either way I hope it has ended! The Aussies always do well on grass so it seems a pointless exercise to me. Stosur probably would have qualified at Wimbledon this year had she been given the chance!

azza
Dec 5th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Ok since there are 6

1 Evie- Yes evie sucks ass latley but she made the 3rd round this year maybe she thribes on the atmosphere

2- Stosur - same as Evie

3 - Monique - She has had a number of Q/F and his a failry good player

4 - Trudi - Outstanding performances in the aussie Sattalites

5 - Christina - Christina has had ok performances

6 - Ugh.. they will prob give one to Mcquillian :rolleyes:

Alek
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Go Rachel! :woohoo:

Simply Orange
Dec 5th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Please have Bovina vs. one of these talented players in the 1st round! Udachi!

Aussie_Kim
Dec 6th, 2003, 10:34 AM
I hope Casey, Trudi and Monique get one. They are deserved but not the 'regulars' and could be overlooked

louloubelle
Dec 8th, 2003, 06:44 AM
With Trudi in Casey would be safe and Sam might be lucky even if she doesn't progress with w/c's at the lead-ins to AO. But if 61 60 Lenhoff thrashings continue it may make things interesting for Sam :eek:

After that anyone who impresses in lead-ins will get the nod.

Im hoping that Adamczak shows something in the lead-ins or the playoff to get one after a good year. If Kriz gets back from injury and regains some touch that would be good.

But if Christina, Evie, Sam crash and burn.. don't be surprised to see Ferguson as no. 6.

aussie_stars
Dec 8th, 2003, 12:48 PM
The thing is you never know what u will get with evie, christina or sam. they are very frustrating!

SM
Dec 8th, 2003, 02:13 PM
ferguson as #6 would be crazy, she got thrashed this year in quallies! while the girl has anice smooth game, and she can definately play with the top 200 IMO...she doesnt have the power to challenge people ranked even 150, let alone be given the privilege of a maindraw WC to play vs top 100..

maybe in a few years, not yet..but i guess thats the state of aussie womens tennis right now in that there arent many other people you could put above sophie other than rachel!

TS
Dec 8th, 2003, 02:18 PM
I don't think Sophie can hang with top 200...no way! SHe's a talented enough kid, bt not yet.

Beating players in the top 300 would be a stretch for her at this stage, even though she has a couple wins already under her belt. She will be 18 in a few months, but physically she isn't as developed as other girls her age. SHe needs to build up a bit, but hey maybe she has over the year...it's been 11 months since I've seen her, she may have changed completely.

But a main draw WC for her would be a mistake. Don't be surprised if it happens though...almost always a young teenager is given a berth, and right now she is the highest ranked under 18 player we have (from memory).

louloubelle
Dec 8th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Ditto... I think there are more players more deserving but TA has a history of giving a junior a run and I can see it happening. Especially if the likes of Christina, Sam, Evie and others continue their bad patches.

~|Naomi|~
Dec 9th, 2003, 02:03 AM
I saw Sophie play quallies on the gold coast last year as well as seeing Casey and Wellford and both of those looked to have more potential to me.

What has Sophie done over the last 12 months??

TS
Dec 9th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Not much. But enough to get her ranking to about 550.

Personally, I think she is a better prospect than Welford (who, due to limited play because of injury, has dropped to the 700s) but there is no way we should compare her to Casey just yet, who is miles ahead of her at this stage.

SM
Dec 9th, 2003, 08:42 PM
i saw sophie play the same tournament as myself a short while ago (just before the challenger circuit). she made the final but got thrashed by Pinchbeck 7-5 6-0.

I didnt see much of the final, but in her other matches Sophie did seem to improve markedly in some areas. Her serve looked ok, she was way more consistent, and her backhand was looking more confident esp. when she hit over it. I definately think she can play at top 200 by next years open which is months away, or atleast top 250....but top100 is a long stretch even tho i believe she has improved and still can do so in the coming months

as terry noted the main element she needs is more punch. she already hits very nice.

~|Naomi|~
Dec 10th, 2003, 03:20 AM
thanks for that :)

[QUOTE]Personally, I think she is a better prospect than Welford (who, due to limited play because of injury, has dropped to the 700s) but there is no way we should compare her to Casey just yet, who is miles ahead of her at this stage.[QUOTE]

Well I did watch Sophie play Lina K so maybe that is why Welford looked more promising to me :p