PDA

View Full Version : The Two-Handed Forehand

alfajeffster
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Anybody ever tried to master this shot? It took me about 6 months to get the footwork and grips, and the tapes of Seles really helped alot in slow motion! :lol:

R&J
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Yes, I have a two handed forehand and it is my strongest shot. I am right handed though, so my dominate hand is on the bottom of the racquet.

Dava
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:13 PM
I tired it, it gave me more power, but like zero control LOL!

Diya
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Monica makes that shot look so easy and at first i thought it was as easy as it looked but boy did i have a hard time 'mastering' the shot or what :eek:

Is that you in the pic alfajeffster ?

hingis-seles
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Yes, I have a two handed forehand and it is my strongest shot. I am right handed though, so my dominate hand is on the bottom of the racquet.

word, except my left hand is the dominate hand. It came easily to me, because that's how I first picked up the racquet.

Come-on-kim
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Once I tried to play a 2-handed forehand and made a passing winner :lol: but that was pure luck ;)

alfajeffster
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Monica makes that shot look so easy and at first i thought it was as easy as it looked but boy did i have a hard time 'mastering' the shot or what :eek:

Is that you in the pic alfajeffster ?

Yes, it's me. I was wondering when the Seles fans would pick up on this thread. I normally use one-handed forehand and backhand mixed with as much volleying as humanly possible, but a few years ago I thought to myself "what the hell"- let's have some fun and experiment. I tried hitting lefthanded, and that was obviously a brain thing that may never happen, so I pulled out some vintage Seles tapes and just reversed the grips to adjust to a righty, and ya know what- it's great on return of serve and disguised groundies. Only trouble is it doesn't work for me on anything but clay or slow hardcourts with alot of grit in the top paint.

shap_half
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:30 PM
i started off with a two handed forehand but my tennis instructor told me i'm not monica seles and so i'm better off with a one hander. :o

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:37 PM
ive tried it at times, i can hit it hard as hell but control is a different story...i prefer one handed

slice
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:43 PM
yep, here's mine... this is like the 3rd thread ive shown it but ah well.. :p mind u tho, i am right handed but it is a left-handed grip, my strognest shot.

faboozadoo15
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:48 PM
sometimes i give it a try-- being a huge seles fan... but sometimes it happens on accident-- believe it or not. the other hand just stays over there through the shot and it always has extra power... it's a different fort of shot, that's for sure.

SM
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:49 PM
my m8 rada has the best 2-handed fh. its absolutely LETHAL given the time to set-up...and its all in the timing IMO and is quite an innate ability, not something u can just learn...

i love that shot but im too embaressed to even try

alfajeffster
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:00 PM
yep, here's mine... this is like the 3rd thread ive shown it but ah well.. :p mind u tho, i am right handed but it is a left-handed grip, my strognest shot.

Sorry- didn't have time to find the "pics of you playing" thread from a couple weeks ago- so started my own. Nice pic- and off the ground too- something you never see Seles do. Do you ever find it hard to change grips like that? I can't imagine, because for a righty on the two-handed backhand, you have the left hand on top, and to me it looks like you actually switch hands for the two-handed forehand.

slice
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:26 PM
nope- i have the same grip for both shots :p

j_dementieva27
Nov 12th, 2003, 01:07 AM
ive tried it... got huge, huge power... but i sacrificed major control... i would never be able to stick with it, because i hit my forehand with heavy powerand heavy topspin, and i follow through like clijsters does [hit, over the ball, scoop hand and make a sort of circle around my head after im done]

my backhand is two-handed, however... and it just feels very natural and i get good shoulder turn on it

¤CharlDa¤
Nov 12th, 2003, 02:46 AM
Already tried it. Never will again ;)

It is really not natural for me, though my two-handed backhand came naturally....

azza
Nov 12th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Two handed forehand is so weird :o

Gowza
Nov 12th, 2003, 04:05 AM
lol, a two-handed forehand is the easiest shot to do! however i much prefer the onehander.

V&SGotItGoingOn
Nov 12th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Two-handed forehand was just way to much of an awkward shot for me, I like the one-handed forehand MUCH better!

SerialKiller#69
Nov 12th, 2003, 04:18 AM
LOL

Tried it and said to myself "No way." :)

xr6turbo
Nov 12th, 2003, 04:29 AM
Well i've tried it before, but when i dislocated my shoulder doing it one day, I decided against doing it again!! :lol: :o

Scorch
Nov 12th, 2003, 09:43 AM
I have a 2 handed fh too although i actually put my left hand OVER my right hand!! (I am right handed) I have never seen anyone else do this and could not really recommend it - as many people have said already you can only do these things if it seems natural and of course if makes you GOOD!! It also gives me some advantages cos you don't leave so much reach and you can still get so wrist on the ball.

It is my best shot, i have 'normal' 2 handed bh. No coach has ever recommended I change it. When I first started playing me and my friends were not coached and i did not watch much tennis on tv. i honestly thought that loads of people played this way - 2 hands on both sides. it was not until i got really into the game that i realised that people only ever really have a 2 handed bh. Thats when I discovered Monica (when she first hit the scene) and that is originally why she is my fave.

True story!

ktwtennis
Nov 12th, 2003, 11:46 AM
I tried it for about a month many years ago, and it caused me great back pain!

tommyk75
Nov 12th, 2003, 12:47 PM
I'm also a member of the two-handers club. My double forehand is by far my best shot! It's great, because you can hit it hard and also create sharp angles.

Bероника
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:38 PM
I've been playing 2 handed-forehand for years.I started playing one handed but I sucked so much,that I decided to try Monica's style.I've stayed with it since.For me it's an easy,natural shot,the same as backhand.

Grice
Nov 12th, 2003, 04:21 PM

that looks like a nice one.
I tried hitting a d-h forehand but i can only use it effectively when i'm inside the baseline.

Glenn
Nov 12th, 2003, 04:51 PM
I have a two-handed forehand and a one-handed backhand.
Forehand is pretty aggressive, it's accurate too!

Jakub
Nov 12th, 2003, 10:05 PM
I have a 2 handed fh too although i actually put my left hand OVER my right hand!! (I am right handed) I have never seen anyone else do this and could not really recommend it - as many people have said already you can only do these things if it seems natural and of course if makes you GOOD!! It also gives me some advantages cos you don't leave so much reach and you can still get so wrist on the ball.

It is my best shot, i have 'normal' 2 handed bh. No coach has ever recommended I change it. When I first started playing me and my friends were not coached and i did not watch much tennis on tv. i honestly thought that loads of people played this way - 2 hands on both sides. it was not until i got really into the game that i realised that people only ever really have a 2 handed bh. Thats when I discovered Monica (when she first hit the scene) and that is originally why she is my fave.

True story!

Almost the same story with me ;)

I have heard about Monica before I started playing. I saw her on TV and I knew she plays 2 handed on both sided.
When I first started playing tennis with my friends I wasn`t coached. Noone told me how to hold the racquet so I did it on my way.
I`m serving with right hand . After every serve I change the hold of my racquet ;) My right hand goes closer to the head of racquet left hand is BELOW it. :tape:
So I`m holdind the racquet the same way as Monica does but I serve with right hand. So I serve like right handed person and then play like a left hander :angel:
Right hand is the leading hand in my game. Left hand is just helping me to control my shots. 2 handed backhand is definitely my better shot

R&J
Nov 12th, 2003, 10:18 PM
I'm also a member of the two-handers club. My double forehand is by far my best shot! It's great, because you can hit it hard and also create sharp angles.
Yep - I agree.
But as some others said - the 2 handed is something that just has to feel natural. I love the 2 handed forehand, it is the one shot for me that never breaks down - and I have alot of control with moving the ball around with that side. Some cant play with the 2 hands, some cant play with the 1 hand. Its just whatever feels comfortable, is what you should stick with.

alfajeffster
Nov 12th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Chris Evert once said of Monica that she gets so much power and accuracy on her drives with two hands because of her quick wrist action. Martina Navratilova has stated on many occasions that it's because she swears Monica has the longest arms on the tour, and even if she'd pull her wide on the 2 handed forehand, she still takes a hand off and hits a great shot.

Obviously, it's a tough shot for an opponent to read. I remember Jim Courier also remarking one year (when he was the top dog) that someone at Bollettieri once asked him to warm up with this new young sensation from Yugoslavia, and he spent about 5 minutes on the court with her and quit, saying "Find another sucker" or words to that effect!

rada
Nov 12th, 2003, 11:53 PM
my m8 rada has the best 2-handed fh. its absolutely LETHAL given the time to set-up...and its all in the timing IMO and is quite an innate ability, not something u can just learn...

i love that shot but im too embaressed to even try

thanks stev....yep i play 2 handed fh and 2 handed bh its the best...my fh is so good i love it....

AjdeNate!
Nov 13th, 2003, 04:15 AM
2 hands off both is the only way I play. (But last time I hit, I did try some Justine-esque backhands with some success) ;)

skanky~skanketta
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:06 AM
i'm experimenting with a two-hander now and it's got a whole lot more power. my one-hander which i have been using for YEARS is just too weak. but its kinda hard cuz i have a one handed backhand. its MUCH easier to control the one-handed forehand though.

tennisjam
Nov 13th, 2003, 08:27 AM
alfajeffster inspired by Monica :confused:

did you fall on your head :confused: ;)

tjord00
Nov 13th, 2003, 11:00 PM
I would love to play you all... I'd be slicing my forehands and backhands into the short angled court of your forehand.... Id like to see how you handle it hehehe :smash:

R&J
Nov 14th, 2003, 07:46 AM
I would love to play you all... I'd be slicing my forehands and backhands into the short angled court of your forehand.... Id like to see how you handle it hehehe :smash:
I bet quite well.

~=)New_Guy(=~
Nov 16th, 2003, 07:36 PM
i tried, it does yield power.....
however, it's pretty difficult to put spins
on the balls, and i moonballs a lot :p
and i slice quite often too, so i gave up,
but i really want to take up the 2
SH forehand stuff tho:D

Jippo McScally
Nov 16th, 2003, 08:03 PM
I tried it, but I tended to use a lot of wrist, but my wrist joint would kinda move around and it was not nice! lol

rada
Dec 17th, 2003, 06:30 AM
its so fun to play with:)

LindsayRocks89
Dec 17th, 2003, 06:37 AM
im lefthanded and i only use it on the return of a second serve because have time to set up and then i can smack a winner but otherwise i dont because when im one the run i cant stretch out to get to ball and then when i make contact it flys past the baseline.

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 17th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Two handed forehand women:

-Seles
-Bartoli
-An&Ad Serra-Zanetti
-Kleinova
-Morigami
-Casanova

ne others?

M-SELESFAN
Dec 17th, 2003, 07:44 AM
I'm right handed and use a two-handed forehand without changing the grips. When I started playing my one-handed forehand sucked, so I figured I tried it and it is my most deadly shot. I have so much more control with it and more power.

The weirdest thing I have ever seen when playing someone was this guy had a ONE HANDED BACKHAND AND A TWO-HANDED FOREHAND. At first I though he was a lefty, but he wasn't. Kinda weird.

Scorch
Dec 17th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Jan Michael Gambill
Fabrice Santoro
Julian Knowles
Ramon Sluiter
Byron Black

All have 2 handed forehands, there are more but I think that makes it clear that men play this shot as well so you are wrong - FACT.

And to say Monica was hindered by playing with 2 hands when her forehand ranks amongst the best of ANY forehand EVER is the biggest crock of shit EVER.

Looks like we have a new tennis 'expert' on the boards :lol: :rolleyes: