PDA

View Full Version : WTA Tour Stopping in Cincinnati

Justinefan
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:49 PM
The WTA tour is playing in Cincinnati next year, I think the week before the men, either way, it's the same week as the Olympics. Do you think they'll be a big showing with top players?? They advertise it with Kim playing there.

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Kim will probably play, since she won't be in the Olympics...

Justinefan
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:53 PM
I know, that's why I asked about other big players?

Juju_fan
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:34 PM
This sponsor stuff is the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard to miss Olympics!

I bet Kim will have regrets when she realizes...

lizchris
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Jennifer might be there too as she is ineligible for the Olympics.

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:05 PM
This sponsor stuff is the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard to miss Olympics!

I bet Kim will have regrets when she realizes...
I know!!! It's the Olympics. I don't know about you, but to give a medal to my country would motivate me so much more and I would be so proud to go there and play for my nation. She's missing a big opportunity there! :sad:

canoe.
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:58 PM
:confused: I thought that the Cincinnati tournament was a tier 3?

Peter M
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Why is Kim skipping the Olympics?

PointBlank
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Kimmie,Jen and Jelena should all be playing since none are eligable for Olympics

Well Kim is but she wont play and only if Jelena switcxhes to Australia she cant play either!

ktwtennis
Nov 12th, 2003, 12:08 AM
I hope so b/c this will be my first women's event, and it's the only one really close to where I live!!

Keith
Nov 12th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Since when is Jen not eligible for the Olympics? She most certainly is eligible.

AjdeNate!
Nov 12th, 2003, 12:47 AM
It is a Tier 3, but could be a "bigger" Tier 3 since some of the upper ranked players might not play/be able/want to play the Olys.

mishar
Nov 12th, 2003, 01:09 AM
Considering that there are so many "big" tournaments with a lot more prize money in a very condensed period (Stamford, LA, San Diego, Canada, New Haven) I doubt that all those top players will play the Tier III cincinatti tournament. But probably one will, and I'm sure it will be a good field.

lizchris
Nov 12th, 2003, 01:23 AM
Since when is Jen not eligible for the Olympics? She most certainly is eligible.

Unless I am worng, according to the rules, a player who wants to be eligible for consideration for the 2004 Olympic team must have played Fed Cup at most two years prior to the start of the Olympics. Since the Olympics are next year, a player would have had to have played Fed Cup in 2002 and/or 2003. Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Monica, Lisa (Raymond), Alexandra (Stevenson), Meghann and Martina N. (who is scheduled to play next week) are all eligible. Jennifer didn't play in 2002 (she was kicked off the team) and she didn't play this year, therefore, she cannot be considered for the team. That is the same reason why Jelena Dokic cannot play in the Olympics next year (because she refused to play Fed Cup for Serbia or Austraalia).

Knizzle
Nov 12th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Unless I am worng, according to the rules, a player who wants to be eligible for consideration for the 2004 Olympic team must have played Fed Cup at most two years prior to the start of the Olympics. Since the Olympics are next year, a player would have had to have played Fed Cup in 2003 and 2003. Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Monica, Lisa (Raymond), Alexandra (Stevenson), Meghann and Martina N. (who is scheduled to play next week) are all eligible. Jennifer didn't play in 2002 (she was kicked off the team) and she didn't play this year, therefore, she cannot be considered for the teamm. That is the same reason why Jelena Dokic cannot play in the Olympics next year (because she refused to play Fed Cup for Serbia or Austraalia).

I think Jen is eligible. All you have to do is make yourself available to play Fed Cup and you are eligible for the Olympics. She made herself available for Fed Cup, but BJK didn't pick her for obvious reasons.

lizchris
Nov 12th, 2003, 01:28 AM
I think Jen is eligible. All you have to do is make yourself available to play Fed Cup and you are eligible for the Olympics. She made herself available for Fed Cup, but BJK didn't pick her for obvious reasons.

According to a commentator (it mgiht have been Pam, Mary Joe or Virginia Wade), you have to play.

Brian Stewart
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:20 AM
You don't have to play unless asked to by the captain. You just have to make yourself available to play. Thus, add Chanda to the list, as she made herself available in 2001/02.

However, both Jen and Lindsay went from elgible to inelgible during the quarterfinals. They initially made themselves available, when Venus and Monica had been picked. Neither had been asked to play. But when V & M withdrew with injury, both Lindsay and Jen were asked to play, and both refused. Thus they both revoked their own elgibility.

Monica's not yet elgible because of her year-long battle with injuries. (She certainly would have made herself available if at all possible.) Venus and Serena aren't elgible because they've only made themselves available in 2003. You need at least 2 of the years from 2001-2004, with at least 1 of them in 2003-04.

Presumably the players all the way down to Dewonder Davis have made themselves available, and are thus elgible, for what that's worth. Unless one of them has incriminating photos of USTA officials, they're not going.

ktwtennis
Nov 13th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Monica is eligible b/c she made herself available for the summer tie, but she didn't play b/c of injury. So she DID make herself available, but she just couldn't play...There's a difference...

CapFan#1
Nov 13th, 2003, 12:46 PM
You don't have to play unless asked to by the captain. You just have to make yourself available to play. Thus, add Chanda to the list, as she made herself available in 2001/02.

However, both Jen and Lindsay went from elgible to inelgible during the quarterfinals. They initially made themselves available, when Venus and Monica had been picked. Neither had been asked to play. But when V & M withdrew with injury, both Lindsay and Jen were asked to play, and both refused. Thus they both revoked their own elgibility.

Monica's not yet elgible because of her year-long battle with injuries. (She certainly would have made herself available if at all possible.) Venus and Serena aren't elgible because they've only made themselves available in 2003. You need at least 2 of the years from 2001-2004, with at least 1 of them in 2003-04.

Presumably the players all the way down to Dewonder Davis have made themselves available, and are thus elgible, for what that's worth. Unless one of them has incriminating photos of USTA officials, they're not going.

Wrong.... Jen was never asked to play in the quarters... she is still eligible. Serena and Venus are both eligible as well.....

lizchris
Nov 13th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Monica is eligible b/c she made herself available for the summer tie, but she didn't play b/c of injury. So she DID make herself available, but she just couldn't play...There's a difference...

Monica played last year when the US lost in the first found, so she should be OK.