PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay's Weight

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:38 PM
I'm a huge fan of Lindsay Davenport. I copy her backhand when I play, I find it very effective, it seldom let's me down. I think Lindsay's weight loss is the reason why she isn't winning like she used to. I think that in the past Her weight provided added weight to her groundstrokes. Her speed was not really a huge weakness because her accuracy, depth, and consistant ground strokes allowed her a lot of time to move around the court. She doesn't hit the ball as hard and deep as she used to, and I don't think that loosing weight has made her faster either. I just miss the way Lindsay used to play, and although I love her games, I don't think that she will be winning much in the future. What do you guys think!!??

j_dementieva27
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:03 PM
i disagree, actually... i find that lindsey davenport is hitting the ball as hard as ever, getting better speed or her serve, and moving much, MUCH better... she gets herself to net more so that she can use her height to work those volleys

i think her wieght loss is DEFIANTLY improvement... the reason she hasnt been able to win BIG in 03 was because of injury, and the rising of hte belgians... she never had a good day against the williams, so now adding justine and kim... they tend ot make lindsey look generic on the court

if her movement even further improved, and she got to net more... we could be seeing lindsey davenport in at least the semis of nearly every event she plays

matija-seles
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:06 PM
I have to agree in some point. When you lose weight you lose power on shots, it is true. But I would not be so sure about movment. I still think it is veeeery important!

LindsayRulez
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:21 PM
I don't think Lindsay has lost any power or depth on her shots since losing weight this year. I was just watching some tapes of her last weekend because I was bored, and if you didn't see her play against Cara Black and Venus at Wimbledon, then you should borrow them from me, because she was unbelievable. I also agree that her weight loss hasn't improved her running game that much, besides going into the net. I think she is committed to improving her running game this year, because at the end of the US Open, she said "I know that I have to run faster and run more to keep up with these girls." She know what she has to do, she just has to do it.

I also agree that 2003 wasn't a great year for her because of her injuries and the rise of the Belgians, specifically Kim Clijsters. I mean, let's look at her grand slam results - she lost for the first time to Justine at the Australian 9-7 in the 3rd (she didn't look like she even wanted to be there); she lost in the 4th round of the french because of the injury; she lost to Venus at Wimbledon after taking a set from her for the first time in a while (and let's face it, Venus is no slouch on grass); and she lost to Kim in the semis of the Open, whom she has had problems beating this year.

I think 2004 is going to be her last year, so I suspect she will feel she has nothing to lose and just play really risky tennis, which could be good or bad, we'll have to see.

Gandalf
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:39 PM
I don't think she's hitting with less power now (but she's hitting with less accuracy). What I don't get is why she's not faster with all the weight she's lost. It's like she has the cliche in her mind that she's not going to get to some balls and she simply doesn't really try to go at them.

Justinefan
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Don't get me wrong I Love Lindsay! But i don't think we'll be seeing any speed improvement from her.. That was never her strength anyway.. Her groundstrokes are just as strong as ever, and a little less accurate. But she's suffered so many injuries, and with the nerve thing, I think tkhat was a big in hindering her movement and accuracy. I think we'll see an awesome Lindsay in 2004.

Kart
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:12 PM
I feel a bit sorry for Lindsay. She lost all that weight and came back so fit after her operation and yet her results didn't improve. It's mentally that she has dipped a little in recent times IMHO - all the big weapons are still there, it's just the confidence to use them that isn't.

jenny161185
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Lindsay' gave has bever really needed movement and I dont think loss of weight has realy effected how hard she hits - when Lindsays serve is on she is Very hard to beat I love watching her play when she's ''in the zone''!

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Since loosing weight, Lindsay has not been the same. Her movement has not improved, her serve is not as effective as it used to be, but mainly, I insist that she does not hit the ball as hard as she used to, and this is why she looses so much now, Her apponent have a lot more time to get to balls. I don't think that Lindsay is lacking in confidence, I think the weight loss has simply taken away from Her power which is a key factor to her game, not just accuracy and consistency, but mainly the power behind those shots! Accuracy and consistancy is not enough if you are not a fast mover on the court, u rely on the power to keep your apponent off balance and running while you're not moving much, and that's what's changed, because she has less power, she require better movement and Lindsay does not have that, and I don't think she ever will be a great mover on court! Her height just will not allow for that (Venus is the exception to this rule, she's just amazing!)

M2k
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Since loosing weight, Lindsay has not been the same. Her movement has not improved, her serve is not as effective as it used to be, but mainly, I insist that she does not hit the ball as hard as she used to, and this is why she looses so much now, Her apponent have a lot more time to get to balls. I don't think that Lindsay is lacking in confidence, I think the weight loss has simply taken away from Her power which is a key factor to her game, not just accuracy and consistency, but mainly the power behind those shots! Accuracy and consistancy is not enough if you are not a fast mover on the court, u rely on the power to keep your apponent off balance and running while you're not moving much, and that's what's changed, because she has less power, she require better movement and Lindsay does not have that, and I don't think she ever will be a great mover on court! Her height just will not allow for that (Venus is the exception to this rule, she's just amazing!)

I actually think you have something there. Anyone who thinks she has the same power that she had back in her peak years needs a good pair of glasses...but she got fitter because the game was evolving into something more physical and her own weight was killing her knee. though her power is not the reason for her decline, and anyone who thinks that is blind as well, :o when you are often as injured as she was and you combined her body type, her style of play, and her history of fragile mentality it was just a matter of time before her many injuries took their toll on her. That's why I was very impressed when Venus took her opportunity and came of age in that second part of 2000. It was just the right time for her :) by that time Davenport was ailing, Hingis' aura of invincibility was fading, and she herself was developing into something very special.

alfajeffster
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:45 PM
I feel a bit sorry for Lindsay. She lost all that weight and came back so fit after her operation and yet her results didn't improve. It's mentally that she has dipped a little in recent times IMHO - all the big weapons are still there, it's just the confidence to use them that isn't.

Right on point. If you watch her semi against Venus at Wimbledon- she had so many opportunities to nail those angled and down-the-line winners like she used to, but she kept playing a little more safe and a little more away from the lines and Venus eventually picked up on it. She used to dominate Venus with pinpoint accuracy and power, where now she's tentative, and it shows in the results.

LindsayRulez
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Since when does Lindsay have a "history of fragile mentality"?!

fifiricci
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:41 PM
She looks PREGNANT to me! :baby:

bandabou
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:46 PM
What happened to Lindsay is that others have bettered her own game. Lindsay used to thrive on outhitting everyone, but right now she is being outhit or outrun herself.

Look at Serena. Serena can stand with Lindsay toe to toe, but ends up winning because she is a better mover.

Venusīs defense is good, that it keeps forcing Lindsay to hit one more shot everytime, same with Kim.

Too many girls can match Lindsay right now in the power department and all surpass her in movement.

Though for Lindsay to win.

LindsayRulez
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Yet somehow she ends ranked #5 in the world after putting up with an injury for at least half of the season...

bandabou
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Hahaha....you said it yourself. She used to end the year in top 3, right now she is down to 5. Plus she is still better than many players....as we noted with Kim, semi and qrtr-finalist points can add up. Lindsay has only one title this year and hasnīt beaten any of the elite four in years.

Linzi
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:02 PM
I dont really think its fair to judge her that much on this yr, she's been suffering from injuries alot. I would like to see her win another slam, not likely, but stranger things have happened.

bandabou
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:21 PM
Donīt you see her record in finals?! That has got NOTHING to do with being injured. Just mentally not tough enough. Not even against Kim.

bis2806
Nov 13th, 2003, 02:18 PM
i think Lindsay's mentally not good enough or just not the same/getting better compared to what it was like in the past... her weight loss might improve her speed but that's prolly just by a notch or so... i just think her mental block is bothering her.... i have a feeling that she won't win as many matches as i would love her to in the next season, let's prove that i'm wrong..

bandabou
Nov 13th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Yep, nice career and all....but 27/ married...doesnīt bode for much improvement.

LindsayRulez
Nov 13th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Who are these elite 4 she hasn't beaten "in YEARS"? I know she has not beaten Venus and/or Serena since 2000 or 2001; but if Kim and Justine are the other 2, then you need to get your facts straight.

CapFan#1
Nov 13th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Let me take this in for a minute.... people here at WTAWorld are actually bitching about someone (besides Dani) being TOO THIN! What has the world come to!

bandabou
Nov 13th, 2003, 03:11 PM
The last time she beat Kim is ī02. Justine, well they havenīt played much this year, so we donīt know about that.

DA FOREHAND
Nov 13th, 2003, 04:49 PM

Lindsay has only lost the mental edge she used to have, when you lose confidence in tennis............

If Lindsay could get her confidence back up to even 99Wimbledon finals level she'd have better results.

LindsayRulez
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:18 PM
I totally agree, Da Forehand.

I know, isn't it crazy that people are criticizing Lindsay for having lost weight when all they used to do is make fun of her because of her weight. I guess people just want something to talk about.

bandabou
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:29 PM
It ainīt the weigth....itīs the movement. Lindsay doesnīt move well. Sure she can cream the balls, but only when she is in position...make her move and she is cream. The top 4 elite: Serena, Venus, Kim and I may even add Justine to the list, know how to do that with her.

Andrew.
Nov 13th, 2003, 06:13 PM
If Lindsay just takes out that mental block and just goes for it, she can beat almost anyone.

bandabou
Nov 13th, 2003, 06:20 PM
ALMOST anyone....not ALL.