PDA

View Full Version : Larry Scott says Tour Champs will be moved in 2005

Cariaoke
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Clijsters defeats Mauresmo in straight sets
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Dangle a $1 million-plus paycheck, play the tournament in California and then wait for Kim Clijsters to win the whole thing.

Clijsters successfully defended her title at the WTA Championships, defeating Amelie Mauresmo 6-2, 6-0 in 52 minutes Monday night.

She became the first player since Steffi Graf in 1996 to win successive titles at the season-ending tournament.

WTA Tour president and CEO Larry Scott said the event will leave Los Angeles in 2005, and relocate to another American city, Europe or China.

Clijsters earned $1,000,030, the largest prize in women's tennis. The extra $30 represented the WTA Tour's 30th anniversary. She finished the year with $4,029,094 in earnings, the first female player to win more than $4 million in a season.

"It's a dream come true,'' she said, singling out Billie Jean King and the nine women who formed the first pro circuit in 1971. "It's because of them that players at this moment can be making a good living.''

Clijsters dropped her serve to start the match, then dominated Mauresmo, who had just two more break points against the Belgian the rest of the way. She had 16 winners to Mauresmo's eight.

"You want to focus on yourself and not let her back in the match,'' Clijsters said. "I saw the ball like a football, I was seeing it really well. It's nice to know you can do whatever you want with the ball.''

Clijsters broke Mauresmo three times in the first set and served two love games. Her first match point came at 40-love on Mauresmo's serve, but Clijsters netted a backhand. She won on her second match point when Mauresmo's backhand went into the net.

Clijsters raised her arms in triumph and ran to hug Mauresmo at the net. Her victory delighted about 20 Belgians who shouted her name between points. Mauresmo had a small group of beret-topped supporters.

"I did my best, but it wasn't good enough,'' Mauresmo said. "I wasn't finding my rhythm. She played a good game and wasn't making any mistakes. Of course, I helped her by making a lot.''

Clijsters won all five of her matches in Los Angeles, including a 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Mauresmo in round-robin play Saturday.

"I wanted to play the same way I played yesterday and a few days before,'' Mauresmo said. "She was covering the court very well and she wasn't giving me any short balls to try to come in.''

Clijsters finished the year with a 90-12 record and nine titles. She was particularly successful in California, winning at Los Angeles, Indian Wells and Carson, and she was a finalist in Carlsbad.

Clijsters will drop from No. 1 to No. 2, however, when the year-end WTA Tour rankings are released. She will finish 75 points behind top-ranked countrywoman Justine Henin-Hardenne, who lost to Mauresmo in a three-set semifinal.

Clijsters said she was disappointed not to play Henin-Hardenne in the final. Henin-Hardenne defeated Clijsters in both the French Open and U.S. Open finals.

"She deserves to be there as well,'' Clijsters said. "We've been the two strongest players from the moment Venus and Serena didn't play as much.''

The Williams sisters missed the most of the last six months because of injuries. Venus will drop out of the Top 10 -- to 11th -- for the first time since March 1998.

A year ago, Clijsters defeated both sisters en route to the WTA tournament title.

Mauresmo is projected to equal her career-best ranking of fourth. She was 2-3 during the tournament, and only reached the semifinals when Elena Dementieva defeated Chanda Rubin.

The final attracted an announced crowd of 8,925 -- 1,307 less than last year's final, also on a Monday night. The six-day tournament drew 44,889 -- 3,629 more than 2002, when both Williams sisters and Lindsay Davenport were in the field. A Staples Center official said last year's attendance was corrected to 41,260 instead of the originally announced 56,862, which was padded to include complimentary tickets.

Cariaoke
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:36 PM
I'd say change the location every few years but look what happened in Munich...

Just bring it back to MSG and to the city of New York.

JonBcn
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Amen. No offence to Californians, but its ridiculous that the event should be held in a city where a)nobody turns up, and b)the whole of Europe is unable to watch it live, three years running.

I really hope it ends up back at MSG too.

caafje
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Bring it to Brussels: full house guaranteed.

KV
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:03 PM
MSG will be a good place. Back to New York.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:15 PM
You won't get the YEC back in MSG unless you can convince the Dolans, who are incredibly stupid (and IMO vindictive) businessmen, to bring it back. Look at what they've done to the Knicks, Rangers, Cleveland Indians, and even Cablevision.

Hagar
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:22 PM
I wish the YEC would have the same atmosphere as the ATP Masters. Saw a bit of Agassi vs. Federer yesterday; the crowd went wild. Remember how it was last year in Shangai, that is the atmosphere you need.
It the YEC were in Paris or Brussels: full house guaranteed. But I am sure that if they would do it in Asia, there would be a good crowd as well. Or why not simply bring the YEC to Madison Square Garden? That place really 's got magic.

ptkten
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Hopefully it'll stay in the United States, so Philadelphia does not get screwed again.

Cariaoke
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Staples is a nice arena but a week of tennis vs. one Laker's game is no contest re: attendance. It's a bad tennis venue in that regard. I think that the real problem with LA is that Californians have so many tournaments to go to through out the year and they take that for granted.

MSG will be filled no matter what the sport and why the moved it in the first place boggles the mind.

JennyS
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:34 PM
I'm glad they are going to move it. LA just wasn't the right city for the tournament.

ToeTag
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:10 PM
:bounce: Thank God...I'd prefer to see it move to Europe,especially Belgium.IMO, the WTA should take advantage of the popularity of Henin and Clijsters.When they do move lets hope whom ever takes over as sponser takes the job seriously and promotes its.

j_dementieva27
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:13 PM
ohmy god, if it was back in new york, i would fucking flip!!!... i live 15 minutes away from MSG, and i would go at least 2 times

SJW
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:28 PM
the crowd wasn't as dead as last year. they were even a bit crazy in a few matches :confused:

please stop playing musical cities with the champs. take it to a city and keep it there.

i say take it back to NYC. i enjoyed it there

Dirty Sanchez
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:31 PM
I'd move it to Europe, just so that I can either watch it on TV or go to it myself. Just selfish reasons really! :p

SJW
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:43 PM
yea i mean if i wanted to be totally selfish i would say play it on grass at Wimbledon

but i'm not :p

Venus Forever
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:57 PM
ohmy god, if it was back in new york, i would fucking flip!!!... i live 15 minutes away from MSG, and i would go at least 2 times

Hell Yeah!! :bounce: