PDA

View Full Version : Billie Jean King says Kim is the new leader in the WTA

-Ph51-
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:26 AM
And she is.She also has the personality to be so!She promotes tennis,what can't be said from everyone! :wavey: :hearts:

fifiricci
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:57 AM
I agree, Kim is a class act from every angle. BJK was obviously affected by Kim's post match on court antics today - very infectious and a great ad for tennis.

*liana*
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:14 PM
I watched that interview with BJK on the news. Here's what she said:

"She's a great ambassador for the sport. In fact, I really consider her the leader now as far as on and of the court in womens tennis as well. She seems to embrace the leadership role better then anyone I've seen in many, many years. So that is wonderful to see"

DEETHELICK
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Kim's acceptance speech was great. She says all the right things and I'm sure whatever rank she will be, she will always step up to represent the WTA!

kim4eva
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Kim is defintely the leader of the WTA. :bounce:
She has the all the perfect qualities for being it as BJK says.

starr
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:55 PM
BJK knows better than anyone that the success of the WTA is dependent on the players getting involved and promoting tennis.

Hagar
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Seems to me that BJK knows a thing or two about tennis and the tour.

per4ever
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:14 PM
seems to me that all people who agree here are Kimfans :)

Cybelle Darkholme
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:16 PM

you nailed it on the head.

kim4eva
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:22 PM

Seems to me there's no non-Kim fans who disagrees ;)

Cariaoke
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:24 PM
She has a nice, outgoing personality and plays a lot of tournaments so she's a good spokesperson. There are other good spokespersons on the tour, in addition to Kim. Now that's being fair. :)

per4ever
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:27 PM
She has a nice, outgoing personality and plays a lot of tournaments so she's a good spokesperson. There are other good spokespersons on the tour, in addition to Kim. Now that's being fair. :)
I agree with that :)

tfannis
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Another Kimfan agreeing :wavey: :p But all bias aside...BJK has a point :)

I think she is currently the best ambassador...she is always willingly to do a lot for the WTA, she has no problems with any player as far as I know...she wins that sportsmanship trophy every year :eek:...and she's one of the world's best players...add all that together and you have a leader, no? Not a leader as in the best player...just the best representative of the sport at the moment...
Justine is the best player of the year...but as she and her coach always repeat...they don't care for the other players...all that counts are her goals..
Venus and Serena are never around...or almost never ;) They do A LOT :eek: in life...which is great off course...

jenglisbe
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:09 PM
That's wonderful to read :) I don't know how anyone can deny it, either. Kim always does a lot when she goes to a city for a tournament. Jon Wertheim has written about how she calls ahead to make sure she can visit children's hospitals and stuff.

SJW
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:25 PM
she has a point. Kim is the best ambassador on tour right now. she's a top player, a class act, and willing to do all she can to help the WTA.

so....i agree

mandy7
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:29 PM

proud of being a kim-fan!!

and BJK is right!

jenglisbe
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:31 PM
What did Kim say in her speech? I missed it b/c of work :(

tfannis
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:36 PM
What did Kim say in her speech? I missed it b/c of work :(
She thanked sponsors, coach, physio, dad....the usual

But then she called a lady of the WTA on court...today is her birthday, she is turning 79 years old :eek: and Kim asked the crowd to wish her the best and she said this woman....I believe her name is Lee Waters or so? :confused:, is a good friend and she wanted to thank her :) The poor soul started to cry and Kim yelled "Don't cry!!" While hugging...it was really soooooo nice...Kim is lovely :)

gentenaire
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:39 PM
I believe it was Lee Jackson or something and Kim nearly dislocated the woman's shoulder with that shoulder pat! LOL

Come-on-kim
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:59 PM
I can't agree more, Kim is the ambassador of women tennis i think for now!

maryjane
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:39 PM
I watched that interview with BJK on the news. Here's what she said:

"She's a great ambassador for the sport. In fact, I really consider her the leader now as far as on and of the court in womens tennis as well. She seems to embrace the leadership role better then anyone I've seen in many, many years. So that is wonderful to see"
How not to agree???
How many players should have spoken her speech???
she knows how words to say and when.
Kim for ever!

maryjane
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:42 PM
She thanked sponsors, coach, physio, dad....the usual

But then she called a lady of the WTA on court...today is her birthday, she is turning 79 years old :eek: and Kim asked the crowd to wish her the best and she said this woman....I believe her name is Lee Waters or so? :confused:, is a good friend and she wanted to thank her :) The poor soul started to cry and Kim yelled "Don't cry!!" While hugging...it was really soooooo nice...Kim is lovely :)

I think u missed the most important part of the speech,the one about the wta and billie jean king.

harloo
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Oh nice comments from BJK. I think Kim is very diplomatic, and she will be a good embassador for women's tennis. She can have the load too, that's good for her.

tennisluver99
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Damn ESPN for not showing Kim's speech!!!!!!!
They showed Mauresmo's speech though?

Justinefan
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Seems to me that BJK knows a thing or two about tennis and the tour.
Nah, BJK is a moron.. But KIM is the leader of the wta tour, she is awesome!! Despite everyone's opinion about her in grandslams, She is the best, winning the championship proves that. She gets to all the finals! Plus what a great personality. She puts everyone before herself! They say she is the nicest girl on tour! Congrats Kim :worship:

jenglisbe
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:33 PM
maryjane - what did she say about Billie and the WTA?? How did the crowd react to it all? Kim seemed to have a lot of support in her matches...even against Jennifer.

maryjane
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:28 PM
I think it was the first thing she said during the acceptance speech.
she thanked bjk for what she's done for the wta cuz if today she's able to do what she does and above all to be 20 and to earn all these moneys is thanks to her and who fighted for the importance of the women tennis. f
she paid a nice tribute to her.she was sweet.she dedicated the first thought to her.i think bjk has been moved by it that's why she believes in kim.

tfannis
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:24 PM
I think u missed the most important part of the speech,the one about the wta and billie jean king.

Yeah true I forgot....sound was awfully bad :( She made a joke and BJK laught and I didn't know what it was about :sad:

Rocketta
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:27 PM
I just want to know who was the old leader and is she mad that Kim replaced her? :)

Tratree
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:31 PM
I think the point is there hasn't been one for a long time....with the exception of maybe Lindsay Davenport every once in a while, but she's a newlywed now, so she doesn't care anymore ;)

SerialKiller#69
Nov 12th, 2003, 01:42 AM
Yup, I agree.:)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 12th, 2003, 04:22 AM
She isn't my cup of tea as a player... but yes, Kim does a great job ;) If she was healthy, Serena could do just as good of a job though, imo ;)

nante4ever
Nov 12th, 2003, 05:05 AM
She isn't my cup of tea as a player... but yes, Kim does a great job ;) If she was healthy, Serena could do just as good of a job though, imo ;)

But i dont think serena is too sick to attend one of d most important event in WTA such as the 30th anniversary. I mean, a good ambassador should attend important events like this, in my opinion.

Rub
Nov 12th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Seems to me there's no non-Kim fans who disagrees

you nailed it on the head too, buddy! :dance:

Kim :dance:

justine&coria
Nov 12th, 2003, 12:54 PM
If I understand it well, BJK said that Kim is the leader of the WTA, a great ambassador : she didn't say that she should be the number 1 nor the best player !!
I have to say that I kinda agree.

Anyway, if I didn't understand it well, and if she meant that Kim should be ranked number 1 then I do not agree. I've never read anywhere that one should have a kind of behaving, to become number 1!

tfannis
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:46 PM
If I understand it well, BJK said that Kim is the leader of the WTA, a great ambassador : she didn't say that she should be the number 1 nor the best player !!
I have to say that I kinda agree.

Anyway, if I didn't understand it well, and if she meant that Kim should be ranked number 1 then I do not agree. I've never read anywhere that one should have a kind of behaving, to become number 1!

Who said something about number 1? ;) It's as you said in the first sentence....Kim is the best ambassador ;) :)

The Crow
Nov 12th, 2003, 04:08 PM
BJK has a point there. Opposed to other top women, Kim is more open, plays a full schedule, trys to promote the sport more than any other top woman. So she is a great ambassador, that's for sure. A leader is in this stage of her career maybe a bit too far stretched though.

DA FOREHAND
Nov 12th, 2003, 04:48 PM
I was just thinking this weekend. What does Kim do better than all the other players...I guess this thread answers that question.

Serve
Volley
Forehand
Backhand

nope!
Nope!
Nope!
Nope!

dropshot and lob?

tfannis
Nov 12th, 2003, 05:14 PM
I was just thinking this weekend. What does Kim do better than all the other players...I guess this thread answers that question.

Serve
Volley
Forehand
Backhand

nope!
Nope!
Nope!
Nope!

dropshot and lob?
:scratch: :topic:

Scobby- Doo
Nov 12th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Don't worry Kim fans I won't talk anything bad about Kim I just want to say that BJK was right- Kim is ambassador of women tennis. I like her speeches.

Seenus
Nov 12th, 2003, 05:29 PM
I definately agree that Kim is one of the nicest players around. But to be a great ambassador people must pay attention to you and what you say and do.
Kim does not command that kind of attention.

ToeTag
Nov 12th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Kim does not command that kind of attention

True...but not for long.Once she starts winning slams that will change.

gentenaire
Nov 12th, 2003, 05:46 PM

It's not her fault that: a) She's not American b) She doesn't look like a model

gweeny
Nov 12th, 2003, 05:59 PM
I definately agree that Kim is one of the nicest players around. But to be a great ambassador people must pay attention to you and what you say and do.

I totally agree. Kim is nice, diplomatic. But if the more dramatic players like Capriati and Venus and Serena were on the tour, I doubt there will be as much interest in women's tennis. Maybe if she starts winning slams, she will be more recognized, but I am sure there are many people (especially in America, who don't even know who she is)

Justinefan
Nov 12th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Serena may be a good tennis player, but she could not be the leader of the WTA... she isn't injured and she couldn't even show up to an important event.