PDA

View Full Version : Suarez/Ruano Pasqual WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anna F'd Enrique
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:09 AM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Virginia Ruano Pasqual and Paola Suarez def Kim Clijsters and Ai Sugiyama 6-4 3-6 6-3 YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Paola and VRP, they are the best.

Chance
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Congratulations Paola & Virginia :bounce:

disposablehero
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Oh well. At least in a world where nationalism seems to go to ridiculous lengths on a regular basis, it's nice to see the doubles Final with players from 4 different countries on 3 continents.

treufreund
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:25 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! :bounce:

Mercury Rising
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:09 AM
:sad: the only chance for Kim to ever win it.

azza
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:14 AM
:(:(

Come-on-kim
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:43 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

per4ever
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:44 AM
congrats Suarez/Ruano Pascual!!

Without a doubt the best doubles team in the world :)

Come-on-kim
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:00 AM

:rolleyes:

Nacho
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:01 AM
OMG AT LAST!!!! They've been waiting for this tournament win for ages!!! :D :D :D

:aparty: :sport: :music:

switz
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:05 AM
i seem to remember people saying they should split earlier this year. good way to shut them up

bluna82
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:06 AM
thats so great :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: congratulations!

Caz
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:27 AM
CONGRATUATIONS VIVI & PAOLA!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

So, this means they end the year as the #1 team, right? That's pretty amazing since Kim & Ai were a new 'team', (though I know individually they had points to defend from other parterships), and not defending so many points this year, whereas Vivi & Paola were defending points from 2 Grand Slam titles and one Grand Slam final, as well as other high level victories. After seeing for myself what a good partnership Kim & Ai made, I never thought Vivi & Paola would manage to do well enough to defend all those points and end as the best doubles team again! Many congrats. to them!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Incidentally, just in case anyone thinks I was one of those people advocating they should split as a team, I most certainly was not - IMO, they should stay together forever! :D The only thing that has been wrong with them this year is that other teams have been as good as them, not that they have got any worse.

Now Vivi & Paola, please win Wimbledon next year!! :D ;)

Brαm
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:32 AM

But how many slams did they win this year? :devil:

Bероника
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Finally some good result coming from a final.

Congrats girls!!!

-Sonic-
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Great news for a great pairing :D

Chance
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Paola & Virginia were in all 4GS finals, right?

Caz
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Paola & Virginia were in all 4GS finals, right?

Correct! :D Actually they have reached every Grand Slam final since RG 2002! :eek: Pretty amazing!!!!! :worship:

Mattographer
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Correct! :D Actually they have reached every Grand Slam final since RG 2002! :eek: Pretty amazing!!!!! :worship:
That's right! :D That's why, they're the best team in the world! For these idiot people who think they're not... just ignore them because they're just jealous! :rolleyes:

Daniel
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Congrats Vivi and Pao!!!! :D :D :D
Also, congrats to Kim and Ai :clap2:

vaiva
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Congrats Vivi and Paolita! :worship:

propi
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:16 PM
But how many slams did they win this year? :devil:
I could answer but better :tape: :devil:

Olé, olé VIVAN LAS MADRES QUE OS PARIERON :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I'm sure next year they can make it better :bounce:

croat123
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:11 PM
:woohoo: what a great combo. i love watching them play

jenglisbe
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Kim/Ai would be #1 if they played more (they didn't even really play the U.S. Open). They won more majors than any team this year, and they led the h-2-h with Virginia/Paolo this year.

Did anyone see the match?? I was surprised Kim/Ai lost since they had dominated Virginia/Paolo throughout the year.

Caz
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Kim/Ai would be #1 if they played more (they didn't even really play the U.S. Open). They won more majors than any team this year, and they led the h-2-h with Virginia/Paolo this year.

Did anyone see the match?? I was surprised Kim/Ai lost since they had dominated Virginia/Paolo throughout the year.

Actually, (though of course I'm speaking as a biased Vivi & Paola fan!), I think both teams are pretty equal in terms of achievments this year:

Vivi & Paola reached all four GS finals, winning one of them, (losing twice to Kim & Ai & once to the Willaims sisters), and won the YEC, (beating Kim & Ai in the final).

Kim & Ai reached two GS finals, winning both, and reached the YEC final (losing to Vivi & Paola).

I agree what happened at the USO helped Vivi & Paola substantially in terms of points, in order to reamin #1 at the end of the year, (since they were defending way more points from the previous yar than Kim & Ai), but in terms of achievements this actual year, I think realistically we can probably all agree had Kim & Ai managed to complete the tournament it would probably have been another Kim & Ai vs. Vivi & Paola final.

Who would have won, who can tell? In reality, I don't think it would have changed much in terms of their achievements this year.

I, personally, think it's pretty difficult to separate them in terms of who was the best team of the year.

Caz
Nov 11th, 2003, 03:02 PM
In case anyone's interested here is part of a report with some nice quotes:

(from http://elmundodeporte.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2003/11/11/tenis/1068543036.html)

Los 42 puntos que consiguieron con el primer saque por 34 para Clijsters y Sugiyama fueron la clave del triunfo final que las dejó como las maestras de dobles, un cheque de 250.000 dólares y 485 puntos para la clasificación mundial. "Todavía no podemos creernos que hayamos terminado un año de esta forma, ganando el Masters, realmente es algo increíble", declaró Súarez. "Creo que es el premio a todo el trabajo y esfuerzo que hemos puesto durante muchos años".

Por su parte, Ruano Pascual, de 30 años, dijo que era la mejor manera de terminar un año que ya había sido muy especial, pero que ahora tenía doble valor. "Hemos conseguido los dos últimos torneos más importantes de la temporada como son el Abierto de Estados Unidos y el Masters, pienso que no podemos pedir más", señaló Ruano Pascual.

Tanto Suárez como Ruano Pascual reconocieron que la clave del partido estuvo en su saque, pero también en la manera de restar y le jugar a Clijsters, que al final sintió algo el cansancio de haber jugado con anterioridad la final individual que ganó por 6-2 y 6-0 a la francesa Amelie Mauresmo.

Por su parte, Clijsters reconoció que Ruano Pascual y Suárez jugaron un gran tenis en los momentos decisivos para ganar puntos importantes y se merecieron el triunfo. "Me hubiese gustado ganar por Sugiyama porque hizo un gran torneo, pero hay que reconocer que nuestras rivales supieron cómo conseguir el triunfo", agregó Clijsters.

I'll do a rough translation, then I must go and study!! ;)

The 48 points that they won on their first serve as opposed to the 34 won by Clijsters and Sugiyama were the key to the final victory that left them with the title of doubles masters, a cheque for 250.000 dollars, and 485 points for the world rankings. "We still can't believe that we have ended the year in this way, winning the masters is really something incredible", declared Suarez, "I think it's the prize for all the work and effort that we have put in throughout many years".

Ruano Pascual, 30 years old, for her part, said that it was the best way to end a year that had already ready been very special, but now had double the value. "We have won the last two most important tournaments of the season, the US Open and the Masters, I don't think we could ask for more", said Ruano Pascual.

Both Suarez and Ruano Pascual recognised that the key to the match was in their serve, but also in directing the game towards Clijsters, who at the end was beginning to feel some of the tiredness of having first played the singles final, which she won, 6-2, 6-0, against the French Amelie Mauresmo.

For her part, Clijsters recognised that Ruano Pascual and Suarez played great tennis in the key moments necessary in order to win the important points and that they deserved the victory. "I would have liked to win for Sugiyama because she played a great tournament, but it must be recognised that our rivals knew what to do in order to win", added Clijsters.

caramel
Nov 11th, 2003, 03:08 PM
:worship: Well done! :bounce:

jenglisbe
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Caz - what does it matter what points that had to defend?? At the year's end, what happened in 2002 doesn't matter at all.

Anyway, here is the comparison:
Kim/Ai vs Virginia/Paolo
2 majors va 1 major
7 titles vs 5 titles
Kim/Ai also lead the head-to-head with Virginia/Paolo (not sure of exact record)

Now, all of this also came with Kim/Ai playing 4 fewers tournaments than Virginia/Paolo.

LucasArg
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Congrats Vivi and Paola!!! :worship:

You are the BEST team in the world!!!:banana:

vutt
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Kim/Ai :sad:
but still THE BEST team in season 2003 IMHO :)

Zummi
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Well done to Ruano Pascual & Suarez.

Quite clearly though, Clijsters/Sugiyama are the #1 team for 2003. I think even RP/S will agree with that.

Caz
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Caz - what does it matter what points that had to defend?? At the year's end, what happened in 2002 doesn't matter at all.

Anyway, here is the comparison:
Kim/Ai vs Virginia/Paolo
2 majors va 1 major
7 titles vs 5 titles
Kim/Ai also lead the head-to-head with Virginia/Paolo (not sure of exact record)

Now, all of this also came with Kim/Ai playing 4 fewers tournaments than Virginia/Paolo.

I just meant as regarding the USO. Clearly had Kim & Ai be able to play, had they won the USO they would have been far ahead of Vivi & Paola in terms of WTA points, (as opposed to Chase points), because Vivi & Paola could only defend their points, (as they won the previous year), whereas Kim & Ai could add to theirs almost from the beginning as they weren't defending champions.

And, in your comparison you've left off the WTA Championships, doesn't that title count for pretty much the same as a major? (although I would agree with the new format it's pretty much a joke even having the tournament). I also think reaching the finals of all four GS's has to count for something.

BTW, I think the head-to-head must be something like 4-2 in favour of Kim & Ai.

I'm not arguing that Kim & Ai aren't a fantastic team -- they are, and so are Vivi & Paola. I'm only musing over which teams achievements this year could be considered better, or whether they are more or less the same. In the end, it doesn't matter who's the best! I'm incredibly happy for Vivi & Paola, but as I've said many times before I'd still be a fan of Vivi & Paola if they never won a match again - I'm a fan of Patricia Tarabini and Gaston Etlis!!!!! ;) :p

If you want me to be honest, I'm just being argumentative and involving myself in a theoretical arguement to distract myself from beginning to write an essay! ;)

monster
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Yeah Vivi & Paol's- I hope they have a great 2004 together

anabel
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:32 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo:

Rocketta
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:57 PM
And, in your comparison you've left off the WTA Championships, doesn't that title count for pretty much the same as a major?

Only when speaking of Kim Clijsters and her singles titles...:tape:

Zummi
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:02 PM
I would not put the season-ending championships in the same category as the Grand Slams. It is the most prestigious of the non-Slam tour events and might be in a category of its own, but certainly not on par with the Slams.

Clijsters/Sugiyama winning 2 Slams is a better accomplishment, IMO, than having won 1 Slam & the season-ending championships.

disposablehero
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the reminder everyone. I had almost forgotten the gross incompetence that forced Kim and Ai out of the US Open. Everyone else finished their Third Round matches the day before Kim and Ai were to play Second Round. That's just completely unacceptable, especially when you know that one of the players is the #1 ranked Singles player in the world.

mishar
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:52 PM
I'm watching the match right now on the tennis channel and they all stay in the back of the court! It's like four people playing singles!!! As Bud Collins just said, "they're four very nice young women, but I wish they'd learn how to play doubles." But congratulations to all four -- obviously the best of the year.

Caz
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:52 PM
I would not put the season-ending championships in the same category as the Grand Slams. It is the most prestigious of the non-Slam tour events and might be in a category of its own, but certainly not on par with the Slams.

Clijsters/Sugiyama winning 2 Slams is a better accomplishment, IMO, than having won 1 Slam & the season-ending championships.

Well, I would tend to agree with that analysis, but when you add the fact that Vivi & Paola not only won 1 GS and the WTA Championships, but also reached the finals of the other 3 GS's of the year, surely the achievement of consistently reaching the finals of all the majors has to count for something additional as well. I guess the question I'm posing is, is it better to only reach 2 GS finals, but actually win both, or to reach 4 GS finals, but win only one?

Anyway, my essay is written now, so I'll stop 'splitting hairs' and arguing about petty, theoretical, issues -- I promise......at least for now!! ;) :p

Thanks for the reminder everyone. I had almost forgotten the gross incompetence that forced Kim and Ai out of the US Open. Everyone else finished their Third Round matches the day before Kim and Ai were to play Second Round. That's just completely unacceptable, especially when you know that one of the players is the #1 ranked Singles player in the world.

Even speaking as a biased Vivi & Paola fan I have to totally agree on that score! :D

Caz
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:54 PM
I'm watching the match right now on the tennis channel and they all stay in the back of the court! It's like four people playing singles!!! As Bud Collins just said, "they're four very nice young women, but I wish they'd learn how to play doubles." But congratulations to all four -- obviously the best of the year.

I don't suppose you, or anyone else, is taping this? If you are, I'd love a copy!! :D

mishar
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:59 PM
I'm sorry, I'm not. But maybe somebody else who's getting the tennis channel has taped it.

And just so no one thinks I'm bashing, all four girls have fantastic skills of anticipation and agility. I just had been watching the men's doubles competition in Houston and they use such variety of shot, chips and slices and volleys, whereas basically 90% of the women's points are topspin drives.

LUIS9
Nov 12th, 2003, 02:26 AM
Caz just curious where are you from obviously somewhere in europe? Spain perhaps?, how is your spanish translating so good it just caught my attention! Muy pero muy buena traduccion no siempre es facil, traducir del espanol al ingles! Son tan distintos y la gramatica es tan distinta, no se por donde empezaria! Well interesting analyisis of the top 2 doubles teams for 2003, in my opinion i would give more props for the belgian japanese duo,they had never played before; however Sugiyama will go on to be a top 5 definitely top 10 doubles player of all time so that definitely counts for something! Nonetheless the argentine spanish duo is definitely a very good one, i dont think they can yet be considered a solid top 10 all time doubles players, not yet in the same league of the navratilovas,zvereva, hingis, novotnas! In fact even the williams duo seem more likely to end in top ten all time list, because of their impressive grandslam performances as a duo, nonetheless they just dont play it enough to be even considered doubles players!

ilovemomo
Nov 12th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Suarez/Ruano Pasqual :woohoo:

Caz
Nov 12th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Caz just curious where are you from obviously somewhere in europe? Spain perhaps?, how is your spanish translating so good it just caught my attention! Muy pero muy buena traduccion no siempre es facil, traducir del espanol al ingles! Son tan distintos y la gramatica es tan distinta, no se por donde empezaria!

Soy de Inglaterra. Mi carrera unversitaria fue en filologia hispanica, asi que tengo cuatro anos de practica en escribiendo traducciones! :p Soy inglesa, asi que para mi es bastante facil traducir espanol al ingles, lo que resulta mas dificil es hacerlo al reves. ;) De donde eres tu? America, quizas? (lo digo por la hora en que dejaste el mensaje)

propi
Nov 12th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Soy de Inglaterra. Mi carrera unversitaria fue en filologia hispanica, asi que tengo cuatro anos de practica en escribiendo traducciones! :p Soy inglesa, asi que para mi es bastante facil traducir espanol al ingles, lo que resulta mas dificil es hacerlo al reves. ;) De donde eres tu? America, quizas? (lo digo por la hora en que dejaste el mensaje)
:o I thought you were Argentinian or Brazilian :o :eek:

Anyway as it was stated above you're Spanish is great and translating from English to Spanish is way much easy than the other way round :p

Gallofa
Nov 12th, 2003, 11:09 AM

Huh uh, y no veas la de espanol que habla. No hay forma de que se calle. Blah, blah, blah... :p ;)

propi
Nov 12th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Huh uh, y no veas la de espanol que habla. No hay forma de que se calle. Blah, blah, blah... :p ;)
:lol: ahora nos enteraremos de que tú eres de Papúa- Nueva Guinea ???? :p

Caz
Nov 12th, 2003, 12:48 PM

rotfl!! Leave me alone!!! ;) :p

:o I thought you were Argentinian or Brazilian :o :eek:

Anyway as it was stated above you're Spanish is great and translating from English to Spanish is way much easy than the other way round :p

lol! Is my English that bad that no-one believes it is my mother tongue?!?!?! j/k (or at least I hope! :p ) ;)

MS
Nov 12th, 2003, 02:07 PM
LOL, poor Caz ;). She speaks Spanish and English so well (and Portuguese :P), that noone believes where she comes from ;).

jenglisbe
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:06 PM
mishar - but why is there only 1 way to play doubles? The fact that these 2 teams are the top 2 teams for the year shows that doubles can be played in more than 1 way, and that this way is the current way to win ;)

Caz - Ask players what they'd rather have - 7 titles (including 2 majors) or 5 titles (with 1 major and the Championships), and they are going to take the former...even if the latter involves reaching the finals of all 4 majors. Winning the majors are what count to players. The Championships are certainly great and like a 5th major, but they aren't quite to the same level as a major.

mishar
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:14 PM
jenglisbe -- Well, there's nothing invalid about it. A win is a win, of course. I find it a bit boring because nearly every point is the same and almost all end in an error. I just think doubles can be much more entertaining than this.
I have to say, though, I love how VRP & Paula laugh together after every point, and Kim and Ai are also an adorable team.:-)

jenglisbe
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:20 PM
mishar - I agree that the style isn't as exciting as other styles, but that is a separate point from saying it's an incorrect way to play doubles. I think it's wrong/pretentious of Bud to say those teams need to learn to play doubles. They are the top 2 teams in the world and won 3 of the 4 majors this year; I don't think they need Bud's help in learning to play doubles :p

Caz
Nov 12th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Caz - Ask players what they'd rather have - 7 titles (including 2 majors) or 5 titles (with 1 major and the Championships), and they are going to take the former...even if the latter involves reaching the finals of all 4 majors. Winning the majors are what count to players. The Championships are certainly great and like a 5th major, but they aren't quite to the same level as a major.

OK, I agree that from the players personal point of view it is better to have 7 titles, including 2 majors, I mean obviously the players want to win everything they can, if not they wouldn't be out there. But then in the same vein, I would imagine being #1 or being considered the best is probably not as important to the players themselves as winning major titles.

However, I still don't necessarily agree that looking objectively at a summary of the achievments of each team throughout the whole year, there is that much difference in what they have achieved -- but that's just personal opinion and so as I'm not in an argumentative frame of mind anymore, I won't take it any further! ;)

At the end of the day, Paola, Vivi, Kim, and Ai, (in whichever order you care to place them), have been the four best doubles players of 2003, on that I'm sure we can all agree, (disclaimer: I discount the Williams sisters, due to the fact they don't play enough doubles to be considered IMO a specific doubles team). I'm sure they are all off enjoying their holidays already and celebrating their fantastic year of results instead of worrying over who was the best, so let's just be happy for all four of them and agree to disagree! (*she says holding out an olive branch*) ;) :p