PDA

View Full Version : WTA YEC To Leave LA After 2005 Season

lizchris
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:41 AM
WTA tour director Larry Scott announced it tonight after the championship match:

WTA Tour president and CEO Larry Scott said the event will leave Los Angeles in 2005, and relocate to another American city, Europe or China.

My money says another Americna city, possibly NY or Houston since they will not play the men's Y/E Masters there after 2004.

Sam L
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:43 AM
China? :haha: Where's CamilleVidann?

I say good move. :yeah:

Hawk
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:45 AM
*cough* Canada *cough* :p

Actually I think it would be better if they moved it around like the men's. Give different countries a chance to see it.

TennisHack
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:45 AM
Let's think about this, shall we?

New York City = Madison Square Garden

Houston = shitty court that slants downhill, playing outside in the heat and humidity of late November in the South (and breaking numerous traditions to boot)

I'm guessing Europe for 05 :D

lizchris
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Let's think about this, shall we?

New York City = Madison Square Garden

Houston = shitty court that slants downhill, playing outside in the heat and humidity of late November in the South (and breaking numerous traditions to boot)

I'm guessing Europe for 05 :D

After the disaster of 2001? No way is the YEC going back to Europe. Not for a while.

TennisHack
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:50 AM
Europe does not equal Germany you know ;)

And weren't people complaining about the Champs being the US after the long European indoor season?

tennisluver99
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:54 AM
They should move it to Belgium, I'm sure with Kim and Justine there would be a big crowd.

xr6turbo
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:56 AM
China? :haha: Where's CamilleVidann?

I say good move. :yeah:

Something tells me that the 'lovely' Camille has been put on ice for a few weeks!! :devil:

lizchris
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:57 AM
They should move it to Belgium, I'm sure with Kim and Justine there would be a big crowd.

IF they go back to Europe and that is a big IF, they will go to either France or Italy because at least those countries players in in the Top 30.

vogus
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:16 AM
"The Heat and Humidity of late November in the South"??

HELLO?? The heat and humidity are long gone by November...

yukon145
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:40 AM
wow what a shocker! head to the midwest! we don't have any pro tennis here. minneapolis or chicago!

switz
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:21 AM
it should rotate. the wta just doesn't want to be seen to be copying the atp. they should swallow their pride and do what is best for the game.

Brian Stewart
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Is there an article with this announcement? I checked the WTA site and Yahoo tennis, and there was no mention of it. I find it odd that such a thing would be announced now, with 1 year left on the LA contract. How much effort would they put into marketing a lame-duck tourney?

And considering how successful the Philly event was, I find it hard to believe they would cast it aside again after its return.

Perhaps if it was moved, they could go to Chicago. They've been hungry for tennis since their tour event moved to Scottsdale. The tourney they had was well supported by fans. They just needed a sponsor. Maybe Bank of America will come along for the ride.

Still, everything that Scott said in his "state of the tour" address looks more like there was no plan to move the tourney. Has anything been posted online yet?

Dymension
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:55 AM
I would love to see the event back in Europe! :hearts: :bounce:

maryjane
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:57 AM
the italian commentator said s/t about Pechino.
The masters of shangai the last year was a success and pechino has a lot of money to offer.

TennisHack
Nov 12th, 2003, 02:53 AM
Brian:

WTA Champs to leave LA

The season-ending WTA Championships is likely to leave Los Angeles after it completes the third year of its contract in 2004, possibly for China, says women's tennis chief Larry Scott. "The plan is to move it in 2005 and I believe that will happen," Scott said on Monday. "There was a delegation from China here this week and there are other cities in the U.S. that are interested in the event.

"It is going to take some months to develop our plans, but I think our original strategy is to move this event from time to time. It is the crown jewel of the tour circuit... a promotional opportunity to move it around the world."

Scott added that there had been some interest from Europe. The WTA Championships were held in Munich in 2001.

In its second year at the Los Angeles STAPLES Center, the WTA Championships drew 44,889 fans overall -- up 3,629 fans over 2002 -- even though the tournament held four fewer session by eliminating day play during the week.

Tour founder Billie Jean King said it takes five years for a tournament to build up a loyal fan base and be successful, but Scott said that there are other issues at stake.

"I wouldn't dispute what Billie Jean said but there are other objectives that have to be balanced," he said. "We've got different constituents in different parts of the world that need to be served.

"NOT IDEAL"

"Being in L.A. is not the ideal time zone for our European television broadcast partners. We have been thrilled to be in Southern California for a few years but we have to balance that.

"We have a global sport and we have to balance that with some other needs."

Sports management agency Octagon owns 50 percent of the tournament while the WTA owns the other half.

Octagon's John Arrix said that even if attendance were to increase 50 percent, the event will still leave.

"It is important to build up the importance of the tournament globally, which we are doing, but leaving after three years is the plan," Arrix said.

But Tim Leiweke, head of Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) which owns the STAPLES Center said that they signed a seven-year agreement with the tour and were not pleased that the tour has already made up its mind to leave.

AEG put in excess of $1 million into promoting the tournament this year.

"They've got to fix tennis. Because eventually what they are going to do is drive people like us out," said Leiweke, who did acknowledge that the WTA has an option to leave after three years. "This is not the way to run a business."

Reuters -- http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V3/L0/S57/E5516/sport_Lng0_Spo57_Evt5516_Sto506286.shtml

ilovemomo
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Come to France :hearts:

ilovemomo
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:27 AM
Would they make it on clay :confused: