PDA

View Full Version : Martina H. on Eurosport

Cilla
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Has anyone been watching Martina Hingis on the Eurosport programme 'Hollywood Boulevard' as the official Eurosport YEC reporter this week?

She interviewed Matthew Perry, it was quite funny :lol: She has a friendly interviewing style :) Even though she was always talking over Perry when he was trying to answer her questions :lol:

Martina: You make me laugh very much, thank you
Matthew: It was very nice meeting you

:D

Martina :yeah:

Daniel
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:28 AM
Martina :worship:

Smash
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:14 AM
He seemed to like what she was wearing. Martina did a good job this week considering this was her first time commentating or interviewing people.

Mister B
Nov 11th, 2003, 03:47 AM
I also think she did a very good job! Everybody was happy to see her back on the screen, I liked her interviews and she looks hotter than ever! Good job Marti!

barmaid
Nov 11th, 2003, 03:50 AM
I've watched quite a few of Martina's interviews and she's done a commendable job for a rookie I think. I haven't seen the Perry one but did see some pictures of the interview and they both seemed to be having fun and enjoyed each others comments! ;) BTW Martina is looking slim, fit and FAB and has worn some "hot" threads in her new role so again she's creating news as she reports! Good job! :worship: :hearts: :kiss:

barmaid :wavey:

irinska
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Yes, I saw the interview with Perry . Itwas great fun for both . She's done great job for Eurosport .

LeonHart
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:17 AM
I want Eurosport! Damn you ESPN!

sunnysideup
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:36 AM
She's impressive indeed.:worship:

YinYin
Nov 12th, 2003, 01:04 AM
well done martina!
always by ur side

Snuffkin
Nov 12th, 2003, 01:23 AM
Sorry to be negative, but watching her made me think she has a long way to go before she can consider broadcasting properly. When doing links to camera she was very wooden and it lacked being natural. If she weren't who she is, no way would she have passed any kind of screen test. (Trust me, I'm not being nasty - I've sat through some excruciating screen tests so I know what to look for.) Having said all that, although she didn't look natural all the time, she did appear comfortable, which is a good sign. I do think she could become a decent broadcaster, but in time. And in her favour is the fact that the majority of players would rather be interviewed by her than some random journo.

All in all, there's still work to be done so I won't be expecting her to be a regular for anyone too soon, but there were commendable signs for someone who had no form of presenter training beforehand.

TonyP
Nov 12th, 2003, 01:47 AM
Martina has all the ingredients. She has great looks, a very outgoing personality and a real liking for people.

She also understands the situation much better than most ex-jocks who try to enter the broadcast booth. She realizes she is no longer an athlete. She's in show business.

Martina is a born entertainer and apparently has gotten mostly high marks for her first effort.

And, as noted, most of the girls like and certainly respect her, because most would love to someday have her record.

I'm not sure where she is going with this, although she will be a commentator in Australia in 2004 for Channel 7 downunder.

But she has a lot of other things on her plate right now, including a show jumping career about which she is getting serious.

So I am not sure how much time she can spend on tennis commentary.

Jamie
Nov 12th, 2003, 07:07 AM
No doubt that Martina will do great in broadcasting, she is a winner in all she does.

JonBcn
Nov 12th, 2003, 08:40 AM
I'm with Snuffkin. And I'm not saying this to bash; I neither like nor dislike the girl, but it was painful to watch.

Please, Eurosport, save us from having to sit through such a spectacle again. I understand that Hingis fans were happy to see her, but how anyone can think she was any good is completely beyond me.

I know that English isn't her first language, and hopefully she'll improve but she really was dreadfully wooden and someone who talks exclusively in sporting cliches is not the most interesting person in the world to be your spokesperson. Sometimes she wouldn't finish one cliche before starting the next one, leaving us with an insightful comment like "Kim's a great fighter, but that's the sport and she was just happy to be here today" etc etc.

There are a few simple rules that Eurosport could have asked her to follow, like

1) When you've finished speaking, remember to point the mic at the mouth of the person you're interviewing

2) LISTEN to what your interviewee is saying. I dont know how many times she lost the opportunity to have an interesting conversation by just trundling out some cliched questions she had made a mental note of instead of taking the lead from an interesting point that had just been raised. She also turned every interview round to be at least a little bit about her, which was quite annoying.

LISTEN to what your interviewee is saying. Eg:
Matt Perry: Yeah, we're doing the last ever series of Friends right now
Martina Hingis: Me Me Me Blah Blah I always enjoy watching your show and I hope to see it lots more in the future...

Hello! He's just told you its not gonna be on in the future!

3) There are no fullstops in the middle of a sentence:

Martina: (forced smile; mic in hand moving around like a plate on a stick) Stay. Tuned. Because. After the break. We have. More. Action.

I did think it was a bit mean that they showed the 99 FO final on a loop all week and then asked her about it a lot :o At the end of the day the fault lies with Eurosport rather than MH; she cant help the maount of training she had, and as I said, she can only get better.

sunnysideup
Nov 12th, 2003, 08:50 AM
for a novice reporter, Hingis was indeed impressive. Like in the ranking system, Hingis will soon be a top ten Eurosport reporter considering the "promise" she has shown from last week.;)

Dava
Nov 12th, 2003, 09:33 AM
I LOVE MARTINA! :hearts:

MLF
Nov 12th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Not wishing to bash Martina as a person but as a tv presenter/interviewer she was dreadfully stilted & hesitant. I cringed on several occasions for her.

Mister B
Nov 12th, 2003, 01:31 PM
hey cmon guys that was her first time! She'll get it soon you'll see.. I saw the interviews like you, but I understood every word she said (and English is not my prime language), she didn't hesitate a lot and we could see she liked her new job a lot.. that was really cool to watch her, and soon I'm sure she'll be even more professional!!!

GO MARTI!

TonyP
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:02 PM
What some seem to be forgetting is what Martina's role was. She was not supposed to be a play by play person or booth announcer. She was a "guest expert." That's what she was officially billed as.

TV is filled with experts in sports and other areas and they are brought in for their obvious expertise, not their broadcasting skills. If they show no eptitude for TV, they aren't used again, but you could hardly say that for Martina, no matter how harsh a critic you are.

She showed she has a friendly, relaxed style and that for the most part, she was comfortable in front of the camera. The formalities about interviewing techniques are obviously things that she will learn and improve at, when she becomes less nervous.

(most people are nervous the first few times they go before TV cameras.)

She also showed that the camera loves her, as we have known all along. Beyond that, she is a natural born entertainer and that comes through as well.

Martina's combination of good looks, infectious personality and sex appeal would probably win her a spot in broadcast even if she were not well known.

Remember, this is a girl who, amid others laments they never got any commercials, has already earned something in excess of $20 million doing endorsements and commercials. Some for tennis products like Adidas and Yonex, but many for non tennis items ranging from the American Express Card to Omega watches.

And some have clearly traded on her sex appeal, as American Express did branding her a "femme fatale" and Sanex did using her in a TV commercial in which she was showering.

She'll do very well in commentating, if she chooses to do it. She was using this first outing with Eurosport purely as a learning experience.

Next up, a gig for Channel 7 in Austraila during the Open.

Linzi
Nov 12th, 2003, 04:01 PM
i love martina and all but gotta say she wasnt all that great. u're right whoever says she didnt look natural cos she didnt. but then again she's never done anything remotely like that in her life and lets face it, there are very few ppl who are gonna be perfect at it the first time. the comments and whats she's saying are fine, i just think its the way she's saying it.