PDA

View Full Version : Justine provides her "excuse" for losing...

JustineTime
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:16 PM
"You're always disappointed when you lose this kind of match but I gave everything," said Henin-Hardenne.

"I just gave my best,'' she said. "Amelie really was the aggressor. I had chances, but she always came back and broke me. Amelie can be No. 1 for sure. When she plays aggressive like she did today, she can beat everyone.''

I know there's something in there about cold, bad back, fever, 9000 notches, etc. but I just can't find it! :confused:

xr6turbo
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:26 PM
She just wanted the No.1 ranking. ;)

shap_half
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:28 PM
I'm still upset Justine lost but it was an amazing match. Amelie really capitalized on her chances and was very quick to not let Justine be the aggressor. Amelie did not give Justine a lot of chances to control the points. Amelie was just the better of the two last night. When you see Amelie play like this you have to wonder why she isn't a GS champion yet.

Cybelle Darkholme
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:47 PM
October 19, 2002

Lindsay Davenport struggled through tendinitis in her right ankle to win a tense contest against Justine Henin in the semi-finals of the Swisscom Challenge.

The defending champion overcame the Belgian 7-6 7-6 for a place in the final against Switzerland's Patty Schnyder, who earlier beat Spain's Conchita Martinez.

She was almost crying and I thought for sure she was going to retire

An angry Justine Henin

Davenport prevailed in a baseline battle, winning the first tiebreak for the loss of just two points before edging the second 7-5.

But Henin afterwards expressed her disappointment at what she perceived as gamesmanship by her American opponent, who twice called for the trainer.

"She was taking it too far," said Henin. "I was injured, too, with a sore shoulder, but I didn't make a song and dance of it.

"She asked for the physio a second time at 4-1. She was almost crying and I thought for sure she was going to retire.

"It was partly tactics - and it flustered me. At 6-5, she was making one winning shot after the other. If you're injured as badly as she was making out, you can't do that."

But Davenport refuted Henin's suggestion that she had used the injury to her advantage and suggested the Belgian's tactics were at fault.

"I wasn't playing it up," Davenport said.

"I just tried to hit winners and she obviously handed me a lot of points - she didn't hit any drop shots or angles. She just hit the ball back to the center.

"There's no question she should be disappointed. You have to learn to play within yourself. I don't know why but she wasn't able to handle it today."

October 19, 2002

By Timothy Collings

ZURICH (Reuters) - Defending champion Lindsay denied she was feigning injury when she beat Belgium's Justine Henin to set up a final with local favorite Patty Schnyder at the Swisscom Challenge on Saturday.

Davenport, who underwent knee surgery in January, was hampered by an ankle injury but still managed to beat Henin 7-6 7-6 in their semi-final.

Schnyder, meanwhile had an easy 6-0 6-3 victory over Spain's Conchita Martinez to set up a tempting finale for organizers.

Davenport, who has won the Zurich indoor title three times in the last five years, had to overcome the injury and a dogged performance from Henin before she denied claims from her 20-year-old opponent she had feigned injury to put her off.

"I was definitely not hamming it up out there," said Davenport. "She should look at herself because she didn't handle it well today.

"I knew I was going home to the World Series (of baseball) if I lost this one.

"She had a great chance and I was very surprised she didn't move me around more than she did. She didn't hit any drop shots or hit the angles.

"She just hit doubles and played it straight down the middle and that made it easy for me. She gave me a lot of free points."

Davenport, who has not won a tournament since returning from surgery, said she would have probably withdrawn from the match if it had continued past the second tie-break.

"Before that tie-breaker, at 6-6, I told my fiancee it would be the tie-break and that was it.

"I was definitely out of there then. I had no chance of keeping playing so it was win or bust really."

CONCENTRATION BROKEN

Earlier Henin, the fourth seed, said the sight of Davenport's crying, limping and having treatment had broken her concentration.

"She was in such a state, she was crying and limping and looked as if she could not go on," said the 20-year-old. "I was sure she would retire, but she didn't. And it was very difficult to play against her like that.

"It is very hard to play against players who do all the things that she did today. For me, it was tough.

"Somehow, she played and she carried on. I didn't know what to expect in that part of the second set. It was not easy.

"It was a very difficult experience and difficult for my concentration. I didn't know if she could play from what I saw at the other end of the court.

"But she won 7-6 7-6. That's tennis isn't it? I have to be positive. It was my first time here and there is another tournament ahead."

Davenport said she had injured herself during morning practice and was made worse when she stretched out, or stepped wide, during the match.

After undergoing a medical examination the former world number one said she had suffered only a possible strain, or slight rupture, to a tendon in her right ankle.

"It's not the bone, it's just the tendon and that is good news," she said. "But it is the same leg as the knee."

migi
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:47 PM
I think Emelie will loose to Kim in the final again because she does not keep like that at least in one more match. It is the same situation where she defeated Serena in semifinal but lost to Kim in final.

JustineTime
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:52 PM
"."

Your signature title really says it all, doesn't it? :)

xr6turbo
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Wow Cybelle!! Interesting articles!!

Maybe it was this match that made justine decide that she was going to use these tactics against everyone else!! :lol:

jenglisbe
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:58 PM
JustineTime - That isn't her whole interview, though. Anyone can pick out a positive portion. I'm not saying Justine did use an excuse in her interview; I'm just saying picking out 2-3 sentences from a whole interview isn't exactly giving us the whole picture ;)

fifiricci
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Wow Cybelle!! Interesting articles!!

Maybe it was this match that made justine decide that she was going to use these tactics against everyone else!! :lol:

:lol: My thoughts exactly!!

DunkMachine
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:32 PM
"You're always disappointed when you lose this kind of match but I gave everything," said Henin-Hardenne.

"I just gave my best,'' she said. "Amelie really was the aggressor. I had chances, but she always came back and broke me. Amelie can be No. 1 for sure. When she plays aggressive like she did today, she can beat everyone.''

I know there's something in there about cold, bad back, fever, 9000 notches, etc. but I just can't find it! :confused:

Not this shit again. Let it rest PUHLEASE.

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:44 PM
One thing is for sure. The match against Lindsay at Zurich sure made Justine an..uuhhmm...."changed" woman! Mecial time-outs left and right. playing through injuries.. ;) :lol:

7~ŒLêV3ñ½
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:58 PM
come on children, lets go on

Mrs. Peel
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:01 PM
She doesn't have to give excuses for her loss...some of her fans are taking care of that just fine :rolleyes:

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:02 PM
She doesn't have to give excuses for her loss...some of her fans are taking care of that just fine :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: ;)

treufreund
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:54 PM
how is it an excuse to say that someone did not play her best? that is not an excuse nor is it denying that amelie is part of the reason why she played less than her best. nobody is making excuses. so crucify us if we mention that she had been on antibiotics and that maybe she was not at 100%. those aren't excuses just factors that may play a role.

in the end Amelie played better and their only very few players that can beat justine without me being disappointed. AI, AMELIE are two of them. I love seeing Ai win and overtake Venus and get in the top ten. she deserves it. and now would like to see Amelie begin her assault on Serena's ranking. :D

Infiniti2001
Nov 10th, 2003, 06:03 PM
how is it an excuse to say that someone did not play her best? that is not an excuse nor is it denying that amelie is part of the reason why she played less than her best. nobody is making excuses. so crucify us if we mention that she had been on antibiotics and that maybe she was not at 100%. those aren't excuses just factors that may play a role.

in the end Amelie played better and their only very few players that can beat justine without me being disappointed. AI, AMELIE are two of them. I love seeing Ai win and overtake Venus and get in the top ten. she deserves it. and now would like to see Amelie begin her assault on Serena's ranking. :D

HYPOCRITE :tape: You were one of those who chastised Serena after Charleston-- now you're spinning for henin. Unfuckingbelievable :rolleyes:

JustineTime
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:45 PM
JustineTime - That isn't her whole interview, though. Anyone can pick out a positive portion. I'm not saying Justine did use an excuse in her interview; I'm just saying picking out 2-3 sentences from a whole interview isn't exactly giving us the whole picture ;)

Iwasn't being selective; that's all I could find! :mad: :(

Juju_fan
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:21 PM

Justine haters will find anything to discredit her… If she’s gracious after losing, and gives credit to her opponent, they say she’s just an hypocrit.
They also blame her for having fans pointing out that some factors may have influenced her game, such as illness or injury, although these fans admit that Amelie (or Ai) simply played better in these matches. How the hell is this making excuses for her losses? :confused:
And how can one possibly take the player as responsible for this?

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Justine haters will find anything to discredit her… If she’s gracious after losing, and gives credit to her opponent, they say she’s just an hypocrit.
They also blame her for having fans pointing out that some factors may have influenced her game, such as illness or injury, although these fans admit that Amelie (or Ai) simply played better in these matches. How the hell is this making excuses for her losses? :confused:

But when Serena-fans say that Serena didn´t play well, it is excuses making?!

STREET NO HOW
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:45 PM

Excuses= Any reason why you didn't WIN!
Excuses= Reasons why you don't get things done
Excuses= Any reason you LOSE!

I hope thats clears up any mis-understanding of what an
EXCUSE IS AND WHATS ITS NOT!

JustineTime
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Excuses= Any reason why you didn't WIN!
Excuses= Reasons why you don't get things done
Excuses= Any reason you LOSE!

I hope thats clears up any mis-understanding of what an
EXCUSE IS AND WHATS ITS NOT!

ex·cuse ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-skyz)
tr.v. ex·cused, ex·cus·ing, ex·cus·es

To explain (a fault or an offense) in the hope of being forgiven or understood: He arrived late and excused his tardiness in a flimsy manner.
To apologize for (oneself) for an act that could cause offense: She excused herself for being late.

To grant pardon to; forgive: We quickly excused the latecomer.
To make allowance for; overlook: Readers must excuse the author's youth and inexperience. See Synonyms at forgive.
To serve as justification for: Brilliance does not excuse bad manners.
To free, as from an obligation or duty; exempt: In my state, physicians and lawyers are excused from jury duty.
To give permission to leave; release: The child ate quickly and asked to be excused.

EXCUSE does NOT equal REASON! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

slice
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:39 PM
she's being cocky, like if amelie can beat her, then she can beat ne1 coz henin thinks she is the ultimate and best player in the world. sorry henin, it just aint true :haha:

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:43 PM
she's being cocky, like if amelie can beat her, then she can beat ne1 coz henin thinks she is the ultimate and best player in the world. sorry henin, it just aint true :haha:

DANG right!

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:56 PM
As I recall, some people predicted that Justine would be ungracious.

She wasn't.

Greenout
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:48 PM
This is funny because people are trying to
make trouble. Justine supporters and the
champ herself likes Amelie and respectful of
Ai's great year.

Nice try. lol.

Diya
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:26 AM
:worship: Justine

She could have easily said that she lost ONLY because she was 9000 notches below here level but then not everyone is as arrogant and cocky as ........never mind ;) :tape:

Knizzle
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:27 AM
:worship: Justine

She could have easily said that she lost ONLY because she was 9000 notches below here level but then not everyone is as arrogant as ........never mind ;) :tape:

She would have been lying then because she didn't play badly, she was beaten. Not that Justine is above lying.

Rocketta
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:30 AM
We have two positive statements from a press conference. That's all we have. These statements were nice of Justine to make. Great.

We however have no idea if she made an excuse or not cause we don't have the entire interview after the match because the website for this tournament SUXs!

Diya
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:36 AM
She would have been lying then because she didn't play badly, she was beaten. Not that Justine is above lying.

Yeah , Its ONLY the Williams sisters who can't lose even when they are playing well. Everytime they lose its ONLY because they weren't playing well :rolleyes:

Knizzle
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Yeah , Its ONLY the Williams sisters who can't lose even when they are playing well. Everytime they lose its ONLY because they weren't playing well :rolleyes:

The first part of your statement is dead on, the WS don't lose when they are playing well. As for the second part, who said that them not playing well is the ONLY reason they lose.

gorecki
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Congrats on #1 Justine! :)
Congrats to Amelie for a fine tournament and best of luck! :)

tennnisfannn
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:41 AM
Justine wasn't her usual self from what I have read. Her loss to Ai was unsual and maybe both losses don't just prove how well ai and amele were playing but also how terribly Jen was playing. 6/1 6/2.

Veritas
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:45 AM

First of all: Congratulations Justine :worship: Welcome to the prestigious status of World no.1 :yeah:

Now, JustineTime...I'm not exactly sure what your motive was to say "I know there's something in there about cold, bad back, fever, 9000 notches, etc. but I just can't find it!"...but it was still unnecessary and rather hypocritical. You don't like Williams fans dishing out tactless remarks about Justine? Then why in the world are you sinking to their levels and doing it yourself? Oh sure, "I didn't mean any harm. I just wanted to say this to show that Justine has better sportsmanship qualities than Serena". Please...both women are champions in their own rights.

And the very fact that Cybelle posted the Lindsay article and you responded to it sarcastically shows that you don't appreciate people dishing dirt on Justine. Well JustineTime..don't expect other fans to sit back and take these comments lightly. You don't like 'em...but so do they.

xr6turbo
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:31 AM
I love seeing Ai win and overtake Venus and get in the top ten. she deserves it. and now would like to see Amelie begin her assault on Serena's ranking. :D

Pretty sad though when the only way they can pass them is when they stop playing for 6 months. :tape:

JustineTime
Nov 11th, 2003, 04:14 PM
First of all: Congratulations Justine :worship: Welcome to the prestigious status of World no.1 :yeah:

Now, JustineTime...I'm not exactly sure what your motive was to say "I know there's something in there about cold, bad back, fever, 9000 notches, etc. but I just can't find it!"...but it was still unnecessary and rather hypocritical. You don't like Williams fans dishing out tactless remarks about Justine? Then why in the world are you sinking to their levels and doing it yourself? Oh sure, "I didn't mean any harm. I just wanted to say this to show that Justine has better sportsmanship qualities than Serena". Please...both women are champions in their own rights.

And the very fact that Cybelle posted the Lindsay article and you responded to it sarcastically shows that you don't appreciate people dishing dirt on Justine. Well JustineTime..don't expect other fans to sit back and take these comments lightly. You don't like 'em...but so do they.

DA, you are correct: you DON'T know what my motives were. :)

Now where in my post did I mention the Williams sisters? :confused: Where did I say I don't like Williams fans dishing out tactless remarks about Justine? I don't, but where did I say so? ;)

The only oblique reference I made to them was the "9000 notches" thing, and that alsopertained to Justine.

So where's the hypocrisy? :confused:

If you need a definition, just let me know! ;)