PDA

View Full Version : Venus' Chase for the #1 Spot!!

Williams Rulez
Feb 10th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Hi guys! :wavey:

Venus is very close, so close to the number 1 spot now. She will be able to get it in 2 more weeks. Here's how close she is:

Jennifer: 4825 points
Venus: 4423 points.

If Venus wins Open Gaz de France...

Jennifer: 4825
Venus: 4524

Venus will be a mere 301 points behind Jennifer.

Venus is defending points next week though. So it'll be:

Venus: 4411

It is a 414 point difference.

Well all Venus has to do is to secure one title and just reach the semis or better of the other to be number 1!! I think Venus can do it this time!! And she will! :D :D

I'll update this as it goes, until Venus finally gets the spot! :D

Carlitos
Feb 10th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Looking at both´s tournaments draws I would say that in two weeks Venus will be number one!

Nothing against Jelena but she should be no problem for Venus today.I mean she won yesterday a marathon match against a much more powerful Mauresmo,who was even defending champion and cheered on by her home crowd!

Next week in Antwerp Venus should have no problem to reach the semis because her draw is nearly the same as this week´s one!

GO VENUS!:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

cheeky
Feb 10th, 2002, 08:41 PM
with venus playing next week she has given herself an excellent shot at being number 1,next week she defends about 120 points(not sure of the exact total) all she has to do is get passed the semi's to surpass the 120 she needs to defend(hopefully she will win the title) and since cappriati is not playing the gap will be even smaller,the week after is the deciding week venus is playing dubai,if venus could get to at least the semis i believe is will have the number 1 ranking because venus will have nothing to defend that week so she will only gain and capriati is not playing that week(feb 18-24) capriati will lose points because she has finalist points to defend from the kroger st.jude tournament,if she doesn't decide to play she will lose her points and venus will be number 1.
when this happens it will be a good day for me!!!!!
COME ON VENUS AS LONG AS YOU CONTINUE LIKE THIS YOU WILL BE NUMBER 1 IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS!!!!!:bounce:

Rubylips
Feb 10th, 2002, 11:13 PM
We love her no matter.VENUS will alway be #1,you know that.:wavey: :) ;) :cool: :kiss:

Jovon
Feb 14th, 2002, 01:12 AM
Thats right, Rubylips:wavey: , WE SUPPORT VENUS NO MATTER WHAT! I had no idea Venus was this close. I am so happy for her! Here's A BIG SHOUT OUT TO VENUS AND HER QUEST FOR NUMBER 1 AND ALL THE FANS WHO SUPPORT HER!:bounce: :bounce:

Go Venus get the #1 spot, we already see you there, but show the detractors on paper!:eek:

LucasArg
Feb 14th, 2002, 01:22 AM
GO AHEAD BABY:wavey:

veronica
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:16 AM
I wanted Venus to get it last year at RG so badly. I hope and pray she will stay healthy and do well the next two weeks so her name will be added to the list of women who have acheived the number one rank. She deserves it! Go VENUS!

Williams Rulez
Feb 14th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Here's an update:

Venus: 4421

Because Venus had points to defend this week, she has lost a little points... but she is getting really close :D

joao
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:25 AM
With two more wins, Venus will be the new #1, on monday the 25th of february, because JCap will lose her 143 points from IGA!!!! Hopefully there will be no walk-over at Antwerp this time...... and Venus will play Dubai just to consolidate her new #1 ranking!!!!!

REMEMBER GUYS .......... 02/25 will be the day when Venus will be crowned "QUEEN OF WTA"......

I'm soooooo excited!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

RAA
Feb 16th, 2002, 01:42 PM
This is great news!
I'm just wondering how long she will be able to keep the #1.
There are a lot of people who are good at analyzing the rankings very closely, so I'm just wondering as we move into March and April and Jen starts playing more, do you see a back and forth between the two? Of course, Jen has lots of points to defend in the French and Venus has none, so that will be a big difference.
Just wondering what people are predicting for the rest of the spring....
Anyway, I feel pretty confident that she will win this title and add it to her titles for the season. Shes really off to a great start this year which makes me even more excited for the rest of the year. As long as she stays healthy...
Ruth in PHilly PA USA

Williams Rulez
Feb 16th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Well here is another update:

Capriati: 4825
Venus: 4495

If we take away Capriati's points she is dropping next week, it'll be:

Capriati: 4684
Venus: 4495

If Venus wins her semi-finals later,

Venus: 4587

If Venus wins the title over Henin,

Venus: 4688

We will have a new number 1! :D

How long Venus will hold the ranking will depend on her performance at Dubai. If Venus wins Dubai, then she'll probably hold it till Ericsson Open. Then, if she wins Ericsson Open, then it is very likely that she'll hold the ranking till Wimbledon as she has so little to defend meanwhile.

But she MUST win Dubai to hold the number 1 ranking for a long period of time as she is dropping 174 points for Indian Wells. So she must do well at Dubai to make up for it.

Winning Ericsson Open is crucial too... she has 443 points to defend there! So that's 617 points to defend compared to 393 for Jennifer.

Hence, to make up for it Venus has to win Dubai or I don't see her holding the number 1 ranking for too long. Should Venus lose the number 1 ranking, she should gain it back during th clay court season. Capriati has 696 points to defend before RG and 1646 points to defend if you throw in RG. Venus has just 308 points to defend after Ericsson Open, so you get the idea ;) :D

bmomomax
Feb 16th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Since the State Farm Tournament is scheduled for 2/25, does anyone have a clue as to whether or not Serena is going to be able to compete? I'm assuming that if there's any question, she'll stay out to continue her recovery.

That being said, do you think Venus would take Serena's spot at State Farm like she did at Proximus? Or is that just too much - 3 tourneys in 3 weeks?

A win in each of these would solidify her No. 1 spot.

joao
Feb 17th, 2002, 01:06 AM
Venus #1, we all agree that it's almost certain! The question is.....how long will she be #1? It depends on JCap's performance at Scottsdale! Hingis is way too far behind to be a serious threat right now!
In the case where Venus wins Dubai (her draw should allow her to do it!) JCap must reach the finals at Scottsdale if she wants to regain #1 after IW!!! Otherwise, Venus will remain #1 until Ericsson where she is the defending champion! As Williams_rulez said, Venus then must win Ericsson open to stay #1....but again, it depends also on JCap's performance! If Capriati doesn't reach the finals there, Venus won't have necessarily to win it!

Hopefully, Venus will win everything and we won't have to hope that JCap will lose at those events!

If serena withdraws from Scottsdale......well, it would be nice to see Venus replace her again! But that would mean, a 4th week of play for Venus, in a row!!! Injuries come quickly sometimes, so I don't know if she should put at stake her form for the Ericsson open and the beginning of the clay season that comes after! But that would keep on consolidate her #1 ranking for sure.......

Williams Rulez
Feb 17th, 2002, 01:53 AM
Venus wouldn't play Scottsdale no matter what. Too much of an injury risk! :(

TeeRexx
Feb 17th, 2002, 03:47 AM
VENUS already said that her maim priority is the slams.
And school, of course. ;)

geoepee
Feb 17th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Hopefully with a win tomorrow against Henin, Venus will become number one in the world becuase Jennifer's points for Oklahoma will fall off! Go Venus and take what's yours! Good luck tomorrow! :)