PDA

View Full Version : Is this would be fair if amelie win tonight?

Scobby- Doo
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:34 PM
I don't think so beause Kim beat Amelie in this tournament, and Kim won 4 matches and Amelie only 2. What do you think?

jenglisbe
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:46 PM
It would be weird to have Kim at 4-1 overall and Amelie at 3-2 overall, yet Amelie would be the champion...but that's how the tournament works, and you have to win when it counts.

migi
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:55 PM
It is not fair if Amelie beats Kim in final. The usual format Kim and Henin should play in the final.

jenglisbe
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:00 PM
migi - how so?? With the usual format, the draw would have been different, right?

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Plus it ain´t like Justine was unbeaten either!

Kart
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Irrespective of however she got to the final if she wins it seems pretty fair to me. Everyone knew the rules before they entered this tournament.

pReUrBrIyN
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:54 PM
If it were the regular format, Mauresmo would have been out first round.

jenglisbe
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:58 PM
CrHuA - is that for sure, though?? Would Chanda and Amelie have played each other in the 1st round with the old format? Also, the match could have been different under the old format, anyway. The start time might have been different, the pressure would have been different (you are playing to stay in it versus knowing you have 2 more matches).

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Nah, it'd be fair. Amélie played great when she needed to and she'd deserve this. Go Kim, though ;)

griffin
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:21 PM
If it were the regular format, Mauresmo would have been out first round.

True. And Chanda would have been out in the second.

The format is the format and it presents the same opportunites - and risks to everyone. That's fair whether you like the result or not.

pReUrBrIyN
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Yes I know Chanda would have been out second round. And besides the draw would be different. And there would have to be 16 people for it to really work.

Oh, well, who cares. Whats done is done. All I know is I won't be watching this final.

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Too bad...should be a real good match.

Hingiswinsthis
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:43 PM
I was looking at Pete Sampras's results in the World Championships in the 90's, and some of them he would've been out for sure in a normal format. He would lose to Agassi in a Round Robin match and comes back a couple days later and win the final over Agassi even though Agassi won more matches! This new format has had its pick and pans from everyone this week. but we should all accept it for now and wish Amelie the best of luck as she prepares for her 2nd biggest final of her career (99 Oz). :D

Rollo
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Momo deserves it if she wins tonight-why not? They knew the rules before starting. Besides it's one thing to win a round robin match under pressure, but there's even more pressure to win in a final.

This has happened before. Chris Evert won the Colgate Masters (YEC) in 1977 after losing a round robin match, and Tracy Austin won the Toyota (YEC) in 1981. When Tracy won in 1981 she lost to Evert in the round robin and then beat her in the semis.

Nikola
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:19 PM
go momo :bounce:

Gabra
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:35 PM
No for me it wouldn't be fair but I'm saying this as Kim fan

mauresmofan
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:29 PM
I'm not saying this as a Momo fan but as a tennis fan - the rules were there from the start - people got to see great matches in the round robin phase and then it turned into the knock out stage - Amélie won when it really counted. Maybe Amélie would have won the other group if she was in it -who knows? Kim and Momo gave us the match of the tournament so far let's just sit back and enjoy this final!

ex hopman
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:45 PM
I think it's fair.
The rule is set like this.
This is the match the winner has to win, that's it.

Kim just needs to win...and if Amelie wins this, still means she wins the big match!

Go both girls!! :bounce:

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:48 PM
But this format has produced some great matches though. Look at how many three-setters there have been this year.

jenny161185
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:24 PM
whoever wins deserves it IMO who cares about head to heads they both got to the final...... one way or another

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:58 AM
Whoever wins will have won squarely under the pre-announced rules for this tournament. It's not like they've changed the rules halfway through to benefit a particular player.

Not only that, those rules have produced a very exciting event.

Now, I just hope that Amelie sustains her form against Juju. If she does, this match could go either way.

Rub
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:41 AM
it's just weird! after mauresmo lost twice, whoever expected her to make it to the finals!?

she should also buy a nice gift for the tour organizers! :lol: