PDA

View Full Version : Kimmy Pumped At The Wrong Time?

go hingis
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:12 AM
I love Kimmy, and she can really be pumped up for a tournament or match, sometimes I think just by looking at her, her opponet has no chance, but I havn't seen the pumped up Kimmy at any of the slams this year, maybe nerves take over at the slams?

agree, disagree, tell me i'm stupid (expected the most) lol. What's your opinion.

fifiricci
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:19 AM
I think that Kim was affected by the occasion in both the GS finals because, as we know, Kim at her best would never have lost so easily to Justine (witness Filderstadt a few weeks ago, where we had both players playing well and Kim won it convincingly in the final set).

Kim has to overcome that mental hurdle if she is going to win. if she can do that there is NO doubt in my mind that she will win a GS SOON.

(Hopefully the AO in Jan 2004, cos I'll be there!!)

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:21 AM
she cant help being a "Potatoette"

Hagar
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Well, the Potato manages to be pumped up at the right time (US Open and Wimbledon, and there is more to come).

azza
Kim is pumber of pumps :D

Hagar
Fifiricci, I know you will be Kim's joker! Do you have tickets for the final?

fifiricci
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Fifiricci, I know you will be Kim's joker! Do you have tickets for the final?

Thanks Hagar, I dont know about being Kim's joker, but I would love to see her win the AO (and totally on her own merits!). I havent got finals tickets but do have tickets for both the mens and womens semis. Am making a three day trip to Melbourne from Perth for that (am on a 3 week stay in Perth from the UK).

Cant wait!! Are you going?

:kiss:

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Maybe Kim just doesnt have the sence of the moment yet...its funny because most players are ready for that after their first one or two slam finals.

starr
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:33 PM
My opinion is that Kim has some things to work on in her game. She needs to concentrate on keeping her unforced error rate down. She gives away far to many points needlessly. That is going to haunt her against major competitors in stressful situations.

Daniel
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:18 PM
She will be ready to take the AO in 2004

Fuerza Kim!!!!! :yeah:

jenglisbe
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:55 PM
It's not about being pumped up - Kim was certainly pumped for the '02 Australian Open, and she took that into the match with Serena and got up 5-1 in the 3rd set...and then she choked. I don't think she was ever quite pumped at the French Open. She was tight throughout the tournament (look at her unforced error count in her matches), but the easy draw helped her make the final. I think Kim was better at Wimbledon, and she got a set and a break up on Venus...and then choked away the 2nd set. Then at the Open Kim cruised into the final; she really was pumped and on fire. Then, again, she got tight in a big situation. When Kim gets tight, her forehand goes all over the place.

7~LV3
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:06 PM
yup yer rite, she does get pumped at the wrong time, in a beginnin of a grand-slam, i think that she waste all those energy trying to have a perfect score, i mean when you check out ms venus, mostly her first few rounds are you know, and then she gets better, for kim, her level kinds of stays the same in the first few rounds then... stays there some more... seems like she had pumped out all her gas during the beginning rounds...

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:06 PM
It's not about being pumped up - Kim was certainly pumped for the '02 Australian Open, and she took that into the match with Serena and got up 5-1 in the 3rd set...and then she choked. I don't think she was ever quite pumped at the French Open. She was tight throughout the tournament (look at her unforced error count in her matches), but the easy draw helped her make the final. I think Kim was better at Wimbledon, and she got a set and a break up on Venus...and then choked away the 2nd set. Then at the Open Kim cruised into the final; she really was pumped and on fire. Then, again, she got tight in a big situation. When Kim gets tight, her forehand goes all over the place.

Yep...she has to work on that forehand..so it can become more reliable in tight situations.

Hawk
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:12 PM
She really just needs to find a way to relax. Once she does that her game will come and she'll be fine. She completely froze at the French Open and sort of partly froze at the US Open..cause at the US although she was nervous and hitting a ton of UE's she still got her game going to a certain extent..she was just very impatient, which cost her. Anyhoo improvement is improvement and I would expect the next time she makes a slam final to be more comfortable.

7~LV3
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:16 PM
did she ever win a match when she was way down?? if not, then theres no andrenalin (sp) there , somewhere

Hingiswinsthis
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Kim is like figure skater Michelle Kwan. When Olympics come around (equivalent to majors in tennis), she freezes and stays backs. Kwan picks the wrong time to get inspired. Although, she has won numerous world titles.......where is it when Kim needs it the most in majors?

Lady
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Kim was pretty pumped up in US Open final, after she won a great point to make it 5-4!! And when she saved 1st break point at 5-5 with a great lob, but on next point Justine attacked & there was nothing Kim could do.

jenglisbe
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:15 PM
jist - She won from way behind against Justine at the 2000 French Open, though that was partly due to Justine choking. I think she was down a set and a break to Justine a few weeks ago and came back to win in 3 sets. She was also down a set and a break (?) against Amelie in Rome earlier this year, and she came back to win that.