PDA

View Full Version : Justine says Amelie can be #1

mishar
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:00 AM
"Amelie can be No. 1 for sure. When she plays aggressive like she did today, she can beat everyone.''

Nice comments from Justine :D

AMELIE!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship:

treufreund
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:14 AM
those are very nice comments and great to hear. you can be sure a thread like this will disappear quickly if justine haters have there way ;)

CONGRATULATIONS MOMO "french speaking onehanded backhand wonder", "justine's sister"!!!!

Great to see you in the finals!!!!

VivalaSeles
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:22 AM
And Justine is right :worship:

CONGRATULATIONS AMÉLIE :kiss: :bounce: :worship:

P.S: Why all this talk about haters ? I see none here and think it is never a good strategy to invoke them.

Mr. Man
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Congrats Amelie! I am proud of her this week! :)

sunnysideup
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Amelie is no doubt one of the most talented players. She just lacks the mentality of a No. 1 player right now. I hope she discovers that soon enough.:angel:

jenglisbe
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:32 AM
Everyone except Kim, who beat her the other day when Amelie was on fire ;)

Anyway, I am happy to see Amelie playing well :) She seems like a nice girl. I just hope she can stay injury-free next year. If she can, then I think she can challenge for majors and even #1. She beat Serena this year, pseudo-beat Venus (was playing her close anyway), and now beat Justine. Good on her...

treufreund
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:35 AM
in her career mauresmo has wins over everybody worth mentioning: Capriati, justine, kim, monica seles, williams sisters, hingis, myskina, dementieva, etc.

mishar
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:48 AM
I think some Justine-haters don't give Justine credit when she makes sportsmanlike comments like this.

I think some Justine fans have tried to take credit away from Momo by saying that Justine played crappy tonight. Justine agrees: Mauresmo just outplayed her.

I don't think Justine likes hitting those shoulder-high balls that Mauresmo's topspin creates. She can't hit the winners from the baseline as easily as with Kim's flatter shots.

Hingiswinsthis
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:50 AM
It's definitely Mauresmo that is Next in Line to be #1. In 2004, that is certainly attainable if she keeps playing like she does now BUT just needs to crease more of these 3rd sets against top players just like today.

moby
Nov 10th, 2003, 06:32 AM
i always get the impression that amelie is like a modern day sabatini, in almost every way

Beat
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:34 AM
congrats amelie, this is an incredible win against the new number one!

but amelie will never be number one herself. not because she's not good enough, but because her body doesn't seem to be able to hold throughout a whole season. :(

Greenout
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:41 AM
See. Justine can be gracious and it's just true.
Amelie can be number 1 and win a grand slam.
She should've really have won one by now and is
one of the most underated contenders in
every major for the past 3 years!!!

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Amelie is good, too bad she is injured so much....and someone was right. Justine doesn´t like those looping balls at-all. Amelie´s record at the recent GS´s haven´t been shabby. Only losing to a Williams or Kim. Last year after the French only lost to Serena and Venus and this year Serena and Kim...at least qrtrs at all slams she has played since French Open ´02. Right now she is making the next step. Beating Serena and Venus, Justine...now only Kim´s left.

sartrista7
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Amélie has the game to beat everyone... unfortunately, that's not the same as having the mental strength to reach No 1.

What I find very impressive is that she missed TWO Slams this year... and will still end it ranked 4.

bandabou
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Impressive indeed...two missed slams and still no.4?! Great.

fifiricci
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:15 AM
those are very nice comments and great to hear. you can be sure a thread like this will disappear quickly if justine haters have there way ;)

CONGRATULATIONS MOMO "french speaking onehanded backhand wonder", "justine's sister"!!!!

Great to see you in the finals!!!!

:lol: OMG, so now you are saying that we should all be grateful that just for once Justine made a fair comment about a match that was clearly won by the better player in any case? :lol:

Next you'll be saying she should get sportswoman of the year award :rolls:

Now if there was an award for La Malade Imaginaire of the WTA tour, I'd be voting for Juju

:p

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:20 AM
*hoping to see Momo and Juju play some doubles again in 2004*

That Juju is such a nice li'l goil.

Kart
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Amelie at no.1 would be a great sight :D. I agree with Justine, of course, staying fit is everything.

Lady
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Justine & Amelie are really good friends. So no wonder.
Amelie was the better played on that day, all credit to her!!

propi
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:53 AM
That's no news, she's more talented than 99% of the players her problem is health and head :(

KV
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Who knows, what's for sure Amélie can't afford injuries. As usual she had too many injuries to go for the no. 1 spot.

Bероника
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:50 PM
She has to believe in herself,the talent is there for sure.I agree she reminds me a lot to Sabtini,but I hope she'll have a better career than beauty goddess Gaby in the end.

VAMOS MOMO!!!!

starr
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:19 PM
I think some Justine-haters don't give Justine credit when she makes sportsmanlike comments like this.

I think some Justine fans have tried to take credit away from Momo by saying that Justine played crappy tonight. Justine agrees: Mauresmo just outplayed her.

I don't think Justine likes hitting those shoulder-high balls that Mauresmo's topspin creates. She can't hit the winners from the baseline as easily as with Kim's flatter shots.

Also Mauresmo's backhand slice was difficult for Justine to handle at the net. That thing skimmed the net and dipped like crazy.

Cybelle Darkholme
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Yes, well Amelie doesn't need Justine to tell her what she is capable of. I'm sure Amelie knows that number one is within her reach.

SJW
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:23 PM
yea she reminds me of Sabatini too.

the way Amelie sets up for her b/h is soooooooo beautiful.

best one hander, for sure

starr
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:25 PM
i always get the impression that amelie is like a modern day sabatini, in almost every way

That's so funny. Well, Sabitini did have that masculine walk, but the buzz around her was like the buzz around Anna. She was the glamor girl of her day. Her serve was woeful even for the time she played, and she wasn't really a hard worker either. When she could be convinced to be agressive and go to the net, she could play some beautiful tennis.

Bероника
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Oh that was the time when WTA sex symbols didn't have to look like Barbie dolls.I miss that days for sure.

I agree with SJW,best one handed backhand on tennis.And the most beautiful too.

lizchris
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:58 PM
She could be number one, but I don't think it will be next year unless she can do better at the Slams and not get injured as much. She got to the QF of the two Grand Slams she played this year and will have to at least win one in 2004 to get closer to number one. She has a chance to get to number three after the AO as Serena has championship poimts to defend and she didn't play last year. After that, I don' think she has much chance to gain substantial points until Wimbeldon comes around.

DA FOREHAND
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:01 PM
That was an ugly match last nite, no drama and very few rallies that didn't end w/an error. I don't see Amelie as the next number one, she doesn't seem to have that fire, or fierce determination.

shap_half
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Amelie is great. Really great. If she plays at her best I think she is at the same level as Justine, Venus, Serena, and Kim. and by that I mean consistently challenging for a GS. But let's be honest here (and I LOVE AMELIE so it pains me to say this) how often does Amelie string together 7 really good efforts to win matches? She is so great yet so so inconsistent and always injured. I think that she is great enough to beat the #1 and be #1 but to get there you need to be consistently playing your best - and alas that is something Amelie has yet to master. :sad:

silverwhite
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:57 PM
I agree that she is really talented. She just needs to increase her consistency and mental toughness and of course improve her serve. She has a very beautiful game but makes too many UEs. Maybe she should get a new coach (à la Roddick) to help her with those.

Tarzan
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Yes, she needs to increase her consistency.
If Chanda Rubin didn't choke in her third match and won that match, then Amelie would have a disappointed Championships.

Glad she did prove she can play good during the semi-finals. :)

mishar
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:57 PM
That was an ugly match last nite, no drama and very few rallies that didn't end w/an error. I don't see Amelie as the next number one, she doesn't seem to have that fire, or fierce determination.

You might be right about Amelie's lack of fire, we'll see I guess, but you have to be biased to say that match was ugly and undramatic.

And few rallies that didn't end w/an error???

Both players served over 60%, they both had at least 10 more winners than errors, they both approached the net over 30 times. For women's tennis, those are great numbers.

Hingiswinsthis
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Amelie has pockets of brilliance like the clay court season in 2001, and the Semis of majors in 2002, and clay court season again this year. But yes, her body has to withstand week in and week out to be #1.

DA FOREHAND
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:29 PM
You might be right about Amelie's lack of fire, we'll see I guess, but you have to be biased to say that match was ugly and undramatic.

And few rallies that didn't end w/an error???

Both players served over 60%, they both had at least 10 more winners than errors, they both approached the net over 30 times. For women's tennis, those are great numbers.

It was boring. I kept switching between that Cowboys-v- Bills game. Neither player sustained any momentumn, and when they got the lead it was because the other player went off the boil.

I like Amelie, but I'm glad she's not one of my favs. I'd have a head of grey hair.

Linzi
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:32 PM
I disagree, i think Amelie is getting tougher. I think next yr could be a big yr for her, as long as she stays injury free.

pReUrBrIyN
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:42 PM
:rolleyes:

I agree Mauresmo is a great player...

But what the hell? Justine because Mauresmo beat Justine doesn't mean Amelie can be No. 1. For gods sake, Justine thinks that if she is beaten that person can be No. 1. :rolleyes:

For that matter, I agree Amelie can be No. 1 when the Williams Sisters retire...sure its sportsmanlike but what the hell? :rolleyes: