PDA

View Full Version : Kim Skipping Fed Cup In Protest Of ITF

AjdeNate!
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Clijsters skipping Fed Cup in protest

By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
November 9, 2003

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Kim Clijsters is skipping the Fed Cup in personal protest against the International Tennis Federation's scheduling of the international team event.

Justine Henin-Hardenne also isn't playing, leaving Belgium without its two best players.

The semifinals between Belgium and the United States are Nov. 19-20 in Moscow -- nine days after the season-ending WTA Championships. The winner faces either France or Russia for the Cup on Nov. 22-23.

Clijsters had played 101 singles matches going into her last one of the year Monday night in the WTA finals against Amelie Mauresmo. She and partner Ai Sugiyama also reached the doubles final. Henin-Hardenne played 87 singles matches and will end the year as the world's No. 1 player.

``If you see the year that Justine and I have had, we've played a lot of matches and it's tough to go home and train for another week before you get to play Fed Cup,'' Clijsters said Sunday.

``We just want to put out a statement towards the ITF showing that this is obviously the only reason we can maybe change the dates or the formula. It's sad that it has to come this far, but I hope for all the other players in the future that it made a difference.''

Even though Clijsters invoked her name, Henin-Hardenne made it clear she isn't part of her compatriot's protest.

``I just need some rest. If I keep playing two more weeks, I won't have enough time to have a good rest and good preparation for next season,'' she said. ``My back is bothering me. Physically and mentally, I am a little bit tired. I think that I deserve to take some holidays.''

She said Clijsters' protest ``is going to be a test, but that is not the reason I am not going to play.''

nante4ever
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:37 AM
I'm tired of Justine always contradicting what Kim says. As i see it, she really has same reason as Kim, its just that Kim tells the truth, Justine lies and she does this all the time...

nante4ever
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:39 AM
Kim has continued to say good things to Justine after that incident in Acura, but Justine has nothing but bad things to say about Kim such as saying there she and KIm are not friends. I hope Kim learns to fight back. And what a better way to it than beat the hell out of Justine next season...

CanadianBoy21
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Justine is really trying hard to the everything opposite as Kim.
Anything Kim says, she contradicts.
I think she still has issues about being claimed a cheater. And it is not a minor claim, Kim did a major claim. However, no one knows if Kim is right or not, I respect her for speaking her mind.
Unfortunate that they cannot keep a friendship(Justine even saying it never existed in the first place) on the tour, obviously it would help if u are already in the same events throughout the year.
Justine needs a two month holiday I think and just chill, she is in my opinion too stressed out.

jenglisbe
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:35 AM
I don't get Justine's point...isn't she not playing for the same reasons as Kim (i.e. she's had a long year and needs time to rest/recuperate for next year)??

go hingis
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:44 AM
Justine is starting to sound like a real bimbo(that's the nicest word I could come up with), lol how was she picked as the sanex hero.

F-R-E-A-K
Nov 10th, 2003, 06:12 AM
I really cant stand Justine anymore!! Everything she says just really bothers me!!!

Justine please stay silent! Kim knows whats best!! :)

Greenout
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Get your facts straight ....Justine is keeping her
options open because she has already stated that
she wants to PLAY in the OLYMPICS representing
BELGIUM! ok. Kim on the other hand from what
I heard from some BELGIANS is that her sponsor
FILA is causing problems because the BELGIAN
Olympic team/Federation will be sponsored by
ADIDAS. FILA doesn't want KIM to be wearing
ADIDAS gear during the Olympics. Kim is saying
that she WOULD play FED CUP if she wasn't tired
and would love to represent BELGIUM! Ok. It
might be her only chance in quite a while if FILA
does not release her to play in the OLYMPICS.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:21 AM
At least Justine hasn't flat out LIED about Kim, like Kim has about she. So whine away Kim fans and Justine haters alike... your complaints ring awfully hollow :p

saki
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:57 AM
The way I understood it, Kim is making a protest at when Fed Cup semis are held because she's tired, and Justine is tired but doesn't see why the timing should be altered. You could interpret it as Kim being arrogant enough to think that Fed Cup should be moved for her convenience but Justine not thinking the same about herself. :P

maryjane
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Justine seems a babe,a false babe.I'm really starting to hate her.Why to specifice she is not protesting like kim and contradict her???
kim is always kind with her.even yesterday during the 30th ceremony.when justine was next to her kim smiled and talked to her while justine seems to be the queen...

Chance
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:43 AM
seriously how the fricking hell is Justine being fake.. Kim was bsing (which is fine all players bs) but Kim included Justine's name in her bs.

The reporters questioned Justine, Justine was honest and told them she wanted a longer break-
what was she suppose to do, just go along with Kim's bs excuse :rolleyes:

geeze- some people in this thread.. :rolleyes:

gentenaire
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:45 AM
The way I understood it, Kim is making a protest at when Fed Cup semis are held because she's tired, and Justine is tired but doesn't see why the timing should be altered. You could interpret it as Kim being arrogant enough to think that Fed Cup should be moved for her convenience but Justine not thinking the same about herself. :P

It's not about timing, it's about location.

Everyone was very disappointed to hear Fed Cup would be played in Moscou. Had it been held in Belgium, it would have been a really big tennis event, with large crowds, a real celebration of tennis. It could have boosted the popularity of Fed Cup, because right now, it's not considered very important. Instead ITF choose for the short term option, for more money now, never mind that it might hurt the Fed Cup in the long run. The last time it was played in Moscou, there were about 40 people in the crowd for the earlier rounds. And to have a fun Fed Cup, you need large crowds.

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:00 AM
sunset is right on the money here. If anyone is to be criticised, it is Kim for dragging Justine's name into it in public when Justine was not comfortable with that ... forcing Justine to say something to distance herself. You absolutely just never do what Kim did unless you have the other person's agreement in advance.

That said, it's no big deal. I am just amazed that anyone could blame juju for this situation.

earthcrystal
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:25 AM
I continue to be amazed by the lengths Justine's fans go will go to in order to spin a story to justify her classless behavior. Guess it gets easier with practice, eh?

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:32 AM
I don't know about that but some people are sure finding it easy to blame Juju for things that are clearly not her fault.

Greenout
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Let's just forget about this thread THE LEOPARD
because when Amelie beats a Williams sister
on her way to the AO 2004 title we will never
read the end of how much things are wrong in
the world if she won the title..blah, blah... Rotf

earthcrystal
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:42 AM
<---is a Monica, Amelie, Kim, Elena, Eleni fan (just in case you were stereotyping). ;)

azza
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Kim :(:(

JonBcn
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:49 AM
It's not about timing, it's about location.

Everyone was very disappointed to hear Fed Cup would be played in Moscou. Had it been held in Belgium, it would have been a really big tennis event, with large crowds, a real celebration of tennis. It could have boosted the popularity of Fed Cup, because right now, it's not considered very important. Instead ITF choose for the short term option, for more money now, never mind that it might hurt the Fed Cup in the long run. The last time it was played in Moscou, there were about 40 people in the crowd for the earlier rounds. And to have a fun Fed Cup, you need large crowds.

In their defence, the ITF make an enormous loss with the Fed Cup every year. They are a non-profit organisation and that money could be better put to use elsewhere. Russia bid more money than Belgium, so thats where it goes. the gate receipts go to the hosting association, not the ITF, so really the decision, while not popular is logical. Its not the ITF's fault that Belgium weren't prepared to pay more. I agree with your point to an extent, but to have a fun Fed Cup you also need players committed to furthering the event and doing whatever it takes to win it. I'm willing to bet that the reason the Belgian Federation wasn't prepared to stump up more cash is that it costs them a fortune in appearance fees for Henin and Clijsters every tie.

Kart
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:28 AM
This is hardly a massive contradiction of Kim by Justine, just a clarification.

I could really use an 'overreaction' smilie at this moment.

kim4eva
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Kim :(:(

hey, are you a Kim fan or what? :confused:

kim4eva
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:53 AM
I don't think Justine's very good at being :rolleyes: see this quote:
"I think that I deserve to take some holidays."
You know, you don't say you DESERVE holidays to yourself or whoever...
I mean, you can say what you think but even you think you do, it's not a very nice thing to say to other players or whoever.
It's the same meaning as saying..."You players aren't playing good enough to have holidays. But I am." :rolleyes:

justine&coria
Nov 10th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Justine probably said 'i deserve holidays' in french which doesn't sound that odd : 'je mérite des vacances'.
I know for the moment Justine is a bit contradicting Kim : it's a bit sad.
But you know, it's first Kim fault. She said really bad things about Justine. Her clan did (though it's not Clijsters, i think it complicates more the things). And it's not because, now, Kim says nothing bad about Justine, that Justine should excuse her.
There's a phrase that says : "when you lost one's respect/trust, it's a lot more difficult to have it back".
And, well I think Kim should give Justine excuses : not necessarily in front of the press, or the cameras. At least, she should try to talk to Justine !
I'm not sure, Justine'd refuse that. In an interview, I had the feeling, she was waiting for some excuses.
Besides, I have the feeling that CLijsters regrets a bit what she said to Justine before (she seems to be more kind to Justine)!
So it would be good for both to talk once again to each other !

starr
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Just so my bias is clear: I like Kim better than Justine.

That said; I think that the people who want to beat up Justine for her quotes in that article are being a little unfair. Kim was in the interview room before Justine. When it came time for Justine's interview, she was probably asked if she was joining Kim in protest, and she said that she wasn't. And she's not. I think that they are quite close together in what they are saying, but Kim appears to be saying that she would play but the time and place are too inconvenient given how much she has played this year. Justine is saying she is far too tired and worn out at this time to play. Justine doesn't appear to want to have a fight with the ITF and that's fine too.

As far as saying she deserves a holiday. She certainly does. As does Kim.

maryjane
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:37 PM
I don't know about that but some people are sure finding it easy to blame Juju for things that are clearly not her fault.

we don't need anything to blame justine cuz she blames herself alone.

Fantastic
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Fed Cup has gone to shits since they broke from the week-long knockout format.

I enjoy Kim's tennis and would say I'm a fan but if Kim is too tired and doesn't want to play Fed Cup, then why not just say that instead of "protesting" against the scheduling as well. It's a legitimate reason without the "protest". Obviously the Fed Cup scheduling isn't going to be for everyone. Either make the choice to play it or not play it. She already has the privileged position of choosing to play Fed Cup for her country. A lot of players can't play for theirs even if they wanted to (due to strong competition for positions, etc). Complaining about the scheduling makes Kim sound like a crybaby. She can't have it all her own way. Deal with it or forget about it.

As for dragging Justine into the argument, maybe Kim had a 'brain fart' when she said "we" in the interview so I wouldn't entirely condemn Kim for accidentally including Justine in her "cause." It may have just been a slip. No big deal there. Anything Justine said after that becomes irrelevant in my mind, so no point thinking too much about it.

Lady
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:54 PM
OMG :eek: Justine is blamed for Kim's words :eek:

It's really sad how some Kim fans turned into Justine haters...
I'm friends with one Kim fan, at least she's objective

DA FOREHAND
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:57 PM
My bad, I thought this thread was about Kim protesting the ITF's scheduling of fed cup, not justine?

kim4eva
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:40 PM
OMG :eek: Justine is blamed for Kim's words :eek:

I'm friends with one Kim fan, at least she's objective

I guess it's not your fault that we hate Justine :p ...but i don't hate Justine fans as long as they don't hate Kim ;)

ans
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:25 PM

Yeah that's sad isn't it, maybe it's because some justine fans turned into Kim haters.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:28 AM
I continue to be amazed by the lengths Justine's fans go will go to in order to spin a story to justify her classless behavior. Guess it gets easier with practice, eh?
Because obviously everybody that disagrees with you, a Kim fan, is a "Justine fan" who is "spinning" things... thanks. Now that we've clarified how important you are, I'm happy to move on.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:31 AM
I don't think Justine's very good at being :rolleyes: see this quote:
"I think that I deserve to take some holidays."
You know, you don't say you DESERVE holidays to yourself or whoever...
I mean, you can say what you think but even you think you do, it's not a very nice thing to say to other players or whoever.
It's the same meaning as saying..."You players aren't playing good enough to have holidays. But I am." :rolleyes:
Are you a dumbass? No, really... are you?

Crazy Canuck
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:34 AM
Yeah that's sad isn't it, maybe it's because some justine fans turned into Kim haters.
Oh gee, that explains everything. I can see clearly all of a sudden.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:41 AM
At least Justine hasn't flat out LIED about Kim, like Kim has about she. So whine away Kim fans and Justine haters alike... your complaints ring awfully hollow :p
I really dig that not a single bitching Kim fan or Justine hater in here had anything to say about this. Selective reading?

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:02 AM
I really dig that not a single bitching Kim fan or Justine hater in here had anything to say about this. Selective reading?

Nobody dares to argue with the queen of wtaworld. ;)

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Pearls and swine, becca; pearls and swine. :D

switz
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:02 AM

i think many of these kim fans are very sad in the way they try to pick on everything henin says, but i think you're over doing this whole "she lied, she lied" thing. nobody replied because you post it in every forum on this issue, when reality it is such a non-issue, and something that clijsters apologised for as well.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 12th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Bob Larson

The Odd Couple
Now this bears thinking about. We already knew that Kim Clijsters wasn't going to play Fed Cup. But she's added a new reason: She calls it a protest against the scheduling.

This is an interesting contrast to Lleyton Hewitt, who skipped the fall indoor season allegedly to prepare for Davis Cup.

Just thought we should point that out.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 12th, 2003, 05:02 AM
she can always do a Potato instead and not play WTA events

she could instead play

Hopman Cup
AUS OPEN

Fed CUP in April
ROLAND GARROS
WIMBLEDON
Fed Cup 2
Olympics
US OPEN

FED CUP final

how about that for a Potato like Schedule ???

now that would be a protest
plus she could also stop doing interviews ;)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 12th, 2003, 05:12 AM
i think many of these kim fans are very sad in the way they try to pick on everything henin says, but i think you're over doing this whole "she lied, she lied" thing. nobody replied because you post it in every forum on this issue, when reality it is such a non-issue, and something that clijsters apologised for as well.
This is actually the first time that I have posted that here... at most the second, and even then, both times it would have gone in GM. So really, you have no idea what you are talking about :)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 12th, 2003, 05:17 AM
By the way Switz... despite your insistance that I have posted the "lying" bit in many other forums (horseshit), I'll address your other content... I'm feeling charitable....

It's like this - Kim "lying" is more of issue than certain Kim fans/Justine haters are making this out to be, yet they ignored it when it happened, and continue to now. I could really not care less either way... as far as I'm concerned, Justine can go on the record calling Kim an ugly whore, and Kim can go on the record calling Justine a little boy. But idiots need to be told they are being idiots, hence my point of being in this thread.

TennisHack
Nov 12th, 2003, 06:10 AM
she can always do a Potato instead and not play WTA events

she could instead play

Hopman Cup
AUS OPEN

Fed CUP in April
ROLAND GARROS
WIMBLEDON
Fed Cup 2
Olympics
US OPEN

FED CUP final

how about that for a Potato like Schedule ???

now that would be a protest
plus she could also stop doing interviews ;)

But if she's protesting against Fed Cup (and, allegedly, the ITF) why would she only play those events?

Kim's not so stupid as to bite the hand that feeds her. I guess Potatoman is learning that lesson, too . . .

switz
Nov 12th, 2003, 12:34 PM
By the way Switz... despite your insistance that I have posted the "lying" bit in many other forums (horseshit), I'll address your other content... I'm feeling charitable....

It's like this - Kim "lying" is more of issue than certain Kim fans/Justine haters are making this out to be, yet they ignored it when it happened, and continue to now. I could really not care less either way... as far as I'm concerned, Justine can go on the record calling Kim an ugly whore, and Kim can go on the record calling Justine a little boy. But idiots need to be told they are being idiots, hence my point of being in this thread.

go ahead, i don't care if you want to waste your time trying to be logical about the faults of players to their obsessed fans. i'm know how objective all the henin fans always are, so i can see where you are coming from (horseshit)